How Is The Pilot Skill Rating (Psr) And Tier Level Determined?

219 replies to this topic

#201 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 05 February 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

People need to at least necro something important, like a thread about buffing the Command Console.

Tempting. Hahaha!

#202 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:27 PM

View Postcazidin, on 05 February 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

Tempting. Hahaha!

Nostalgia defiantly nostalgia. Posted Image

#203 Slappy

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

The more I try to dig into the information and understand the PSR and Tier system,
the more I am tempted to delete everything I have to do with MWO from my computer.

I SO want to like this game, but despite being ranked #1850-ish out of some 30,000 or so players and still be listed at the BOTTOM of tier 5 for months on end is an annoyance I cannot stand.

#204 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

View PostSlappy, on 12 February 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

The more I try to dig into the information and understand the PSR and Tier system,
the more I am tempted to delete everything I have to do with MWO from my computer.

I SO want to like this game, but despite being ranked #1850-ish out of some 30,000 or so players and still be listed at the BOTTOM of tier 5 for months on end is an annoyance I cannot stand.

Are you looking at the Wins leaderboard? That one is basically a grind based on amount of games played. And while yes the system is bias towads moving up, lots of matches does not necessarily mean you will move up. If you want to go by the leaderboard then you would need to look at different ones, like the AVG Match Score and W L Ratio.

#205 surgetank

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 33 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

played this game when it was beta and to be honest its getting worst , i have noticed we have lost some great factions and most of all decent players , the tier system or match maker system does not work as the standard of play is very bad , tier 1 is the best to tier 5 the new player who is learning the ropes but i'm seeing whole teams wiped out in 4 minutes or less , game needs more maps but thats not gonna happen as it costs money and they would rather have their graphic designers doing mechs as thats where the money is, yes we got updated maps of existing ones because the maps were too small , faction play is in a rut as they don't know which way to take it so its sorta in limbo , expected greater things of this game as its been 3 years now and stuck with it hoping it was gonna get better.

#206 U2mad

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:08 PM

The whole pilot rating needs to be completely re-worked. I just played through a Conquest map. Ran through, kept hitting all the capture points and recapturing points we lost and capping the enemy points. I think we won something like 750 - 285. Because I never actually engaged in combat, even though I was working my butt off and helping out the team, got nada for my rating. If completing objectives doesn't do anything, then why even have them there?
Everyone apparently should just ignore the objective and do as much damage as possible according to the scoring mechanics.

#207 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:21 AM

Your Win/Loss ratio is 0.65 and Avg Match Score is 123. My verdict is weak performance on your part.

So, in order to move up you need to attain a W/L ratio of at least 1.00. When you lose a match, make sure to achieve a MS of at least 251 to maintain your psr. When you win a match, try to surpass a MS of at least 401 for the biggest gain.

Good luck.

Edited by MOBAjobg, 14 February 2017 - 01:29 AM.

#208 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:42 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 05 February 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

What's with all the necro threads lately?

Does this mean the search function is working? (or are people using google to search mwo forums more; site:mwomercs.com +"necro thread name")

#209 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:59 AM

That's because the leaderboard sorts by 'total wins' by default, which is only an indicator of how much someone plays, not performance.

If you sort by stats that give a better indicator of performance, like K D Ratio, W L Ratio or Avg Match Score, your ranking drops to 22,000-23,000 or worse, which is well below average when there are only around 30,000 active players on those leaderboards.

Please compare your stats to these. While it hasn't been updated for Seasons after 4 yet, the scores should still be good to compare against for more recent Seasons.

With 0.65 W/L, you are below the bottom 90%
With 0.31 K/D, you are below the bottom 90%
With 123 Average Match Score, you are below the bottom 90%

I don't intend to be demeaning (I'm just trying to be frankly honest), but your performance is why you are not increasing in PSR.

This is not a bad thing; the PSR and Matchmaker system is intended to protect players of lower performance by preventing them from facing higher skill players.
However, it appears to have not been working for some time; I regularly face Tier 5 players in my battles, which should not be possible.

#210 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:20 AM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 22 September 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

Hi all,

How is the Pilot Skill Rating (PSR) and tier level determined?
Is tier 1 the best players and tier 5 the worst?
I noticed this "PSR" after I did a patch today.

I searched these forums and did a Google search to find this answer but all that I really came across is if this info should be public or not.

Thanks!

Amazing how often this topic keeps coming up whilst the different fora overflow with information.

PSR works via match score. The formula with which this is calculated is unknown. What is known is that "damage done" is a MAJOR factor in this score. ("someone" decided damage done is the major factor in deciding performance. Sorry for all people with good aim or supportive tasks. Lurm players are very happy with this though,...)

In essence, if you don't like red arrows on your PSR, play mech that do loads of damage.

The PSR movement is as follows:
Posted Image

Enjoy!

#211 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:34 AM

I wouldn't worry about PSR and the tier system. A number of people create alternative accounts as they prefer to play in the lower tiers...Take some time to learn the game - check out the community pages, ask questions learn new stuff... but as previous mentioned you need to increase your match score and win/loss record to increase your PSR

Not sure if this is 100%, but if you look at the numbers in another old thread then you will see why your current stats aren't progressing you up the tiers. (there maybe a better take on this, but i'm tired and need to go to bed).

edit: (like the simple chart in the post above, that I did see till after I posted this lol)

Edited by chucklesMuch, 14 February 2017 - 02:36 AM.

#212 ThatGuy1972

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

This system is broken, just like ever match making system in every game just like this. I re joined Mec War. after a year long break because I was tired of the same old ***** players with the same old noobie rocket builds, one long lrm fest after another. I return to find that they have many more mechs and several new maps, most of which I really enjoyed. Problem is every match, is a lose, so I have played 30 matches with 27 loses I was pushed out of teir 3 to 4, and always finished in the top three players on my team in every match. But, can't seem to ever get matched with players that know what they are doing. I pick a light mech, spot/tag/target, not one person fires a missle at the marked target. I hold tag on an ecm unit waiting for someone to attack it, nothing happens. The teams select a 5 point resourse game, and no one goes for a single resourse point or bothers to even try to take one from the enemy. An this being the case ever match is a lose and I have been constantly losing teir points. So their system is another ******** Win/Lose ratio computation all over again that doesn't take into account anyone contribution to a team or playing ability. **** You Mec War, this is exactly why I left in the first place.

#213 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:36 AM

View PostThatGuy1972, on 16 March 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

This system is broken, just like ever match making system in every game just like this. I re joined Mec War. after a year long break because I was tired of the same old ***** players with the same old noobie rocket builds, one long lrm fest after another. I return to find that they have many more mechs and several new maps, most of which I really enjoyed. Problem is every match, is a lose, so I have played 30 matches with 27 loses I was pushed out of teir 3 to 4, and always finished in the top three players on my team in every match. But, can't seem to ever get matched with players that know what they are doing. I pick a light mech, spot/tag/target, not one person fires a missle at the marked target. I hold tag on an ecm unit waiting for someone to attack it, nothing happens. The teams select a 5 point resourse game, and no one goes for a single resourse point or bothers to even try to take one from the enemy. An this being the case ever match is a lose and I have been constantly losing teir points. So their system is another ******** Win/Lose ratio computation all over again that doesn't take into account anyone contribution to a team or playing ability. **** You Mec War, this is exactly why I left in the first place.

It's about communication there ThatGuy1972, drop with friends and or start communicating.

Edited by MW222, 17 March 2017 - 02:39 AM.

#214 Mercnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 622 posts
  • LocationATS Dropship

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 22 September 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

From the impression I am getting after today's patch, I think you have to try to get to tier 5. It isn't easy to get there...

Don't play for 3 years and come back. You will be in teir 5 because you where never in the system after reworking. Having to work my way up from the bottom.

#215 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

Better yet, don't realize the post you responded to is almost two years old on a post that's now been necro'd twice.

#216 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:35 PM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 22 September 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Well, while I still fairly new to Mechwarrior Online, I am not completely new.
I have been playing for aprox about 6 months now, ballpark. Maybe more, maybe less.

My PSR says I am a tier 5 so I must really suck or the system/rating is really messed up.

I actually consider myself a good player. I mostly run lights (Jenners) though and have since I started. While I died a lot in the beginning while I was still learning the game,

I quickly scanned your stats on the leader board and all I can say is don't sweat it you won't be in tier 5 forever your stats are actually pretty good.

It just takes some time to progress.

#217 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:11 PM

The Voodoo Doctor curses your flesh to rott off your bones and feeds it to the Dogs that die howling to the Full Moon at a Solar Eclipse when they fall down lifeless - the Shadow of the Dogs determines your Skill and the number of Deathfarts your Tier.

Welcome to MWO!

Edited by Thorqemada, 31 August 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#218 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:19 PM

I will show you how the number is determined.

Think of a number between 1 and 20.

Double it.

Add 6

half that number

now take away the number that you first thought of

Your answer is 3!

WOW totesamazeballs. Pity that my math fu is probably more advanced than the matchmaker.

Edited by HGAK47, 31 August 2017 - 10:20 PM.

#219 KillerCheeseburger

Rookie

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTexas hill country

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 22 September 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Well, while I still fairly new to Mechwarrior Online, I am not completely new.
I have been playing for aprox about 6 months now, ballpark. Maybe more, maybe less.

My PSR says I am a tier 5 so I must really suck or the system/rating is really messed up.

I actually consider myself a good player. I mostly run lights (Jenners) though and have since I started. While I died a lot in the beginning while I was still learning the game, I usually:

- score around 300-500 on my match scores.
- I target and hold targets for LRMs
- I get points for scouting multiple targets
- I usually last the whole round or am among the last 3-4 to die
(which is easy to do if your team is being "spanked" and everyone starts targeting the last who are left).
- I usually do around 300-700 damage per round (so I am not just hanging back to survive). I could do more in my Oxide if it had more ammo.

With these things being true, I am confident I am not a tier 5 quality player if indeed tier 5 is the worst and tier 1 is the best.
I honestly play a lot now and would have thought I am more in line with high tier 1 through low tier 3. Somewhere in there. I believe I am top 1/3 and am really confident I am at least top half. This is why I ask the question because this is so shocking to me. I know I am truly not among the group of the worst players in the game. The ones who don't really know what they are doing yet. I am so confident of this that I would be willing to bet money on this.

Q: How much you have risen since you wrote that in 2015?

#220 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 31 August 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

Better yet, don't realize the post you responded to is almost two years old on a post that's now been necro'd twice.

We need one of the guys with the necro .gif because the OP is tier 1 by now....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users