Countdown To The Crab Release Oct 6Th - 1 Days Left!

231 replies to this topic

#21 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

Guys, I didn't "miss" that fact. But after the novelty wears off none of you people will drive it more than once in a blue moon either. The fact you guys refuse to hold them accountable for designing obviously gimped mechs over and over is really only hurting yourselves. So yea go ahead, be passive-aggressively dismissive of what I said, it won't change how staggeringly right I am.

#22 Zfailboat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

I have to say, honestly this artwork makes me worry a little, especially given the Black Knight CT that just happened.

Although the other thing I have noticed is the arms also look fairly sizable.

Should be interesting when it comes out, and fingers crossed for it. I mean lets face it, if you look at releases its 50T crab vs 50T Hunchback IIC. If it can't compete against they Hunchback IIC after release, there is going to be a lot of annoyed IS players.

#23 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:28 PM

CRAB HYPE CRAB HYPE

*ahem*

Just show us the scale videos, they're all that matters

#24 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

Oh by the way, I have also played hundreds if not thousands of matches in a Jenner (Sarahs mech is one of absolute favorites) and have Mastered Dragons. No I am not wrong. Get over it. In today's meta, given the clan-heavy powercreep environment we play in, those mechs suck, period. And you accuse me of playing as a sniper? Since when are Jenners or Dragons EVER built as snipers (eh ok, theres some long-ish range Dragon builds)? I play them the same loadouts everyone else does, they absolutely get punched through like paper. And furthermore, I'm not even a competitive player most nights but those mechs are nigh useless once someone actually bothers to target you and shoot you. Can they be dangerous if positioned perfectly and the situationis just right? Sure, but they still suck. Don't even bother getting in a pissing test with me about it, go talk to some people in semi or competitive units and they will almost all agree with what I said (like the people I play with in 228th IBR for instance). Simply telling me I'm wrong in no way actually makes me wrong when I have the same level of experience as you in two of the three mechs I mentioned. And the reason I don't in Catapults is because they are insufferably bad to the point I couldn't even tolerate getting them through basics. You want me to stop saying stuff is DOA? Then maybe PGI SHOULD STOP DESIGNING DOA MECHS AND WASTING EVERYONES TIME AND MONEY, INCLUDING THIER OWN WHEN ITS PAINFULLY, BLATANTLY OBVIOUS ITS GOING TO BE BAD WHEN YOU LOOK AT IT FOR THREE SECONDS. Geometry........Is........Destiny.........Period gg, rekt.

Edited by Rando Slim, 01 October 2015 - 02:36 PM.

#25 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:31 PM

It looks like a mech built by Orks (with "k"). I loved it!

#26 Nightlurk

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

Well, this thing is cool, it really is, BUT... when are you guys going to implement melee attacks? What's the point of those crab claws if you can't... claw... And what's the point of having fists on your mech if you can't punch? Just think of the tactical possibilities... a light getting punched by an atlas... finally the mighty atlas would have a chance against those ball-biter lights...

#27 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:51 PM

View Postcommanderburn22, on 01 October 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

Coming from someone who has played thousands of matches in the Jenner, Catapult, and Dragon, you couldn't be more wrong. Yes, they have a CT the size of a barn, but that can be used to their advantage (they're all very XL safe, for example). not every mech needs to have high weapon mounts and a microscopic CT to be effective. lower mounts and a lower profile makes a mech more effective in a brawl (Which alot of players seem to fail to see rewards with high damage which results in more of those sweet, sweet spacemonies, even at a high risk.)
TL;DR
Learn to torso twist, stop being a ***** sniper, and STOP CALLING MECHS DOA.

The Jenner, Catapult, and Dragon are all bad mechs precisely because torso twisting does nothing of value

#28 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:02 PM

View PostRando Slim, on 01 October 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

Oh by the way, I have also played hundreds if not thousands of matches in a Jenner (Sarahs mech is one of absolute favorites) and have Mastered Dragons. No I am not wrong. Get over it. In today's meta, given the clan-heavy powercreep environment we play in, those mechs suck, period. And you accuse me of playing as a sniper? Since when are Jenners or Dragons EVER built as snipers (eh ok, theres some long-ish range Dragon builds)? I play them the same loadouts everyone else does, they absolutely get punched through like paper. And furthermore, I'm not even a competitive player most nights but those mechs are nigh useless once someone actually bothers to target you and shoot you. Can they be dangerous if positioned perfectly and the situationis just right? Sure, but they still suck. Don't even bother getting in a pissing test with me about it, go talk to some people in semi or competitive units and they will almost all agree with what I said (like the people I play with in 228th IBR for instance). Simply telling me I'm wrong in no way actually makes me wrong when I have the same level of experience as you in two of the three mechs I mentioned. And the reason I don't in Catapults is because they are insufferably bad to the point I couldn't even tolerate getting them through basics. You want me to stop saying stuff is DOA? Then maybe PGI SHOULD STOP DESIGNING DOA MECHS AND WASTING EVERYONES TIME AND MONEY, INCLUDING THIER OWN WHEN ITS PAINFULLY, BLATANTLY OBVIOUS ITS GOING TO BE BAD WHEN YOU LOOK AT IT FOR THREE SECONDS. Geometry........Is........Destiny.........Period gg, rekt.

Sooo you want them to introduce "Arctic Cheetah" shaped Assault, Heavy and Medium mechs?

That sounds like fun...

I'll take bad hit boxes and interesting designs over shoulder mounted laser spam any day. But to each his own, there has to be a reason I am in T5, right?

#29 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 680 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:37 PM

So um....will the Crab actually you know...have good quirks? A reason to pilot the mech? Mauler and Black Knight have been a massive let down. At this point I wish I could get my money back PGI. Listen to what people are saying. We are tired of DOA mechs with no unique quirks that make them absolutely useless in the game. We need to go back to the old formula. Releasing one mech at a time for cbills and mech credits instead of all these crappy packages.

#30 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

I'm looking forward to getting my Crabs!

And I might actually change my title and badge, those are great.

My only dilemma on the 6th will be to pilot my jumping Crab or jumping Cicada!

#31 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

I just buy IS mechs...because...no reason

crab mech was always crap, but it will be so humiliating when you finally take down that gimped Timberwolf piloting this abomination

Posted Image

I mean look at it

#32 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:42 PM

hmm it looks kinda... "stumpy" maybe its just the angle on that shot but shouldnt its parts be a bit thinner? i mean it already has that huge pointy left and right side, does it really need extra chunky parts?

#33 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

I
Cannot
Wait
Until
Crab

I don't have any long-life relationship with it like some might, I don't have anything terribly specific about it that I like...
...Except that shape. There's something about a 'Mech with a more unique body (and leg!) assembly that just speaks to me.

...Maybe that's why I've designed so many outrageous 'Mechs of my own. XD

#34 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:02 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 01 October 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

Oh finally!!! I was starting to run out of innuendos about STD's!

I have Crabs the size of my Wang!

View PostRando Slim, on 01 October 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

Guys, I didn't "miss" that fact. But after the novelty wears off none of you people will drive it more than once in a blue moon either. The fact you guys refuse to hold them accountable for designing obviously gimped mechs over and over is really only hurting yourselves. So yea go ahead, be passive-aggressively dismissive of what I said, it won't change how staggeringly right I am.

I bought Crabs (and Wolfhound) out of nostalgia. I don't expect the Crab to be 'good'- none of the IS mediums are, outside of a few niche builds.

Wolfhound isn't going to be much to write home about either, but it always was one of my favorite lights in TT.

#35 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:19 PM

@Rando Slim: Dude... First off you need to chill out... like a lot... Second, there are so many mechs that people want that will be bad no matter what you do that it's not even funny.

The 50t Crab is one of my absolute favorite mechs from the table-top game, and I'm very excited to see it in game. I fully realize that it will not be "meta" and will likely have dumb hit-boxes. You know what though? I couldn't care less. I play this game to have fun.

If you are playing for competition, then mechs like this aren't even remotely important to you. In fact, the only ones you should be caring about in the competitive tier are the 35t,55t,75t,100t clan mechs. PGI isn't releasing "DoA" mechs because they're dumb, they're releasing them because they're smart. We want the bad mechs because they're interesting, or we have some connection to them from the table-top.

On that note, I would love it if they released a mech like the Charger, which was the only 80t scout mech ever. It's a total joke of a mech and even more useless than the Urbanmech, and that's saying something. I would still love to see it because it's interesting. You can't put everything up against the competitive scene in Mechwarrior. Mech's just don't work that way.

/rantover

P.S. :Paragraphs are your friend...

#36 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

Crab is one of the most interesting designs in MWO. looks like an industrial and Battlemech hybrid. to bad their is no melee, can imagine those crab claws ripping off arms and legs, and causing massive loss of armor to where ever those claws clamped down on. thx for the countdown to Crab!

#37 Calh Paw

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:49 PM

I have a feeling that its legs will be easy to hit, at least from the side.

#38 Samedi Wretch

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:23 PM

I agree that geometry is destiny BUT we only know half the story of right now. Think of the Timberwolves and stalkers. Both are non-humanoid with large central fuselages like the Jenner and dragon, but they have large side torso HITBOXES! We won't know the value of this mech until we know its hitboxes.

#39 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:27 PM

View PostGreenHell, on 01 October 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

@Rando Slim: Dude... First off you need to chill out... like a lot... Second, there are so many mechs that people want that will be bad no matter what you do that it's not even funny.

The 50t Crab is one of my absolute favorite mechs from the table-top game, and I'm very excited to see it in game. I fully realize that it will not be "meta" and will likely have dumb hit-boxes. You know what though? I couldn't care less. I play this game to have fun.

If you are playing for competition, then mechs like this aren't even remotely important to you. In fact, the only ones you should be caring about in the competitive tier are the 35t,55t,75t,100t clan mechs. PGI isn't releasing "DoA" mechs because they're dumb, they're releasing them because they're smart. We want the bad mechs because they're interesting, or we have some connection to them from the table-top.

On that note, I would love it if they released a mech like the Charger, which was the only 80t scout mech ever. It's a total joke of a mech and even more useless than the Urbanmech, and that's saying something. I would still love to see it because it's interesting. You can't put everything up against the competitive scene in Mechwarrior. Mech's just don't work that way.

/rantover

P.S. :Paragraphs are your friend...

guess the guy never learned speaking properly makes you more likely to be listened to and less like a complete moron. also... "Competitive players" from what i've seen are pretty much Solaris VII build using people.

and who gives a rat's patoot about quirks. weapon quirks will be gone when the re-quirkening hits. YES, clan will have longer range than IS. YES, it will be annoying, but you know what? we did pretty damn fine pre-quirks against clans in pug drops.

people just need to learn to get inventive with what weapons they put on ANY given mech, and where, for how it fits their playstyle. not any of this "god forbid we use a weapon our mech isn't bonused for" crap.

also, saying "Torso twisting has no appreciable effect" is complete bull**** and you know it. Rando must be one of those guys that thinks only ECM is a good defense, because, you know, angling armor and using cover obviously doesn't work... hope he enjoys losing the ECM bubble shield we should never have had in the first place.

hell, Btech ECM only made it harder to lock. it didn't block locks.. and it sure as hell didn't shroud mechs, not even Angel ECM did that. Only thing i found that came even remotely close isn't invented in that universe for about 40 years, and it wasn't even ECM.

Edited by Arkhangel, 01 October 2015 - 07:32 PM.

#40 Nexano

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFrom There

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

Srsly can you stop this panic about crab? You don't even see it in game to dare say anything about mech. Currently i'm disappointed with Warhammer(well i just don't like how it looks), so i just don't buy it. Mauler was making bad impression but in the end it's dread oppressor and i have pretty good score on it every game. What's currently fail for PGI it's "dummybots" i mean 6 ac2 maulers and all KNT exept ER PPC variants. So on book you get 16 mechs in reality 3-4. And current tendention of geometry is fail - currently i'm bit upset that's clantech geometry fails in porfitable way for clans(like stormcrow, arctic) and IS get failtrash like KNT (well serriously ppl have tested that and you need to be a really skilled pilot to NOT hit CT of this mech from any projection). And one more important thing, guess this most important one - current balance forcing ppl to play "laser alpha peekers" and all clan mech thats can't builded like laser vommit "are sux" well actually this rule is same for IS too and All combat is currently peektride between laser boats. Well thats old story lets just see crab and out our hopes in it.

Regards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users