Wvr-7D

49 replies to this topic

#21 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:35 AM

I also wanted to compare what the Clans could have for 55 tonnes. Scary, but I don't think anyone would use something like this when there's much more viable builds for Stromcrows.

For teh LULZ

#22 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:37 AM

Glad it's working for you. :)

I agree about single UAC, FWIW...I never run one. My top choices for a setup like this are gauss or dual 5s. 10 is a distant third. An extreme outlier would be UAC5/AC2. That's not ideal, but nothing about this mech is so I might mess with it if I ever level this hunk of junk (seriously, I've leveled nearly 200 variants and this one joined the SDR-5V, PTR-10P, AWS-PB and a very few others on my "no, life's too short" list).

Edited by TercieI, 10 October 2015 - 05:38 AM.

#23 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:06 AM

Seems not many are MASC fans like me.
I made this after seeing builds in this thread. Has its good and bad points but MASC works out great for maneuvering especially rough terrain like the new Caustic, not so much on open areas like Alpine.
Probably will run the AC10 version on the 6R like this.

Edited by Wildstreak, 13 October 2015 - 05:36 AM.

#24 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostPS WrathOfDeadguy, on 07 October 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

I'm really not a fan of high facetime builds, so that rules out a single UAC5. Right now, I'm thinking 2xSRM6+LB10X+ML... else 2xSRM6+AC10. Either fits with XL300, which is about as slow as I want to be going in this. All I can think is "man, if I could just fit an AC20 on this thing..."

I would sell a kidney for a jumping Wolverine with an AC20. I was really hoping to get that for the hero, but Quarantine :(

#25 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:04 PM

Single UAC does not mean high facetime, mine simply makes the build versatile. With a single UAC I get:
  • The ability to snipe from range rapidly. It is like having the dual AC5 for less tonnage, add a cooldown module for the UAC.
  • When ambushing, I alpha and can get 2-3 additional shots off before running. Like having the AC10-20 but for less weight.
Next add MASC that helps speed up ambushes, move into sniping position and duck down from counterfire or maneuver the shield arm in place.

#26 Feywald

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, England

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:26 AM

I came hear because i am having trouble getting the free wolverine to work for me (Nova's my favourite medium). Instead i found a problem with my Smurfy pages. All the builds i click on are just a page with the 8 locations saying 0 of 0 armour and no slots. It's like that for all the loyalty mechs.

Anyone know what my problem is?

#27 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:47 AM

View PostFeywald, on 12 October 2015 - 01:26 AM, said:

I came hear because i am having trouble getting the free wolverine to work for me (Nova's my favourite medium). Instead i found a problem with my Smurfy pages. All the builds i click on are just a page with the 8 locations saying 0 of 0 armour and no slots. It's like that for all the loyalty mechs.

Anyone know what my problem is?

That's usually a temporary glitch. Give it an hour.

#28 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostShinobiHunter, on 11 October 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

I would sell a kidney for a jumping Wolverine with an AC20. I was really hoping to get that for the hero, but Quarantine :(

That's a Shadow Hawk. Many other config options available. Yes, it's taller than a Wolverine, which is saying something, but it's also narrower and has a high shoulder-mounted B hardpoint instead of one in the arm. A Blackjack could mount an AC/20, but it's a little light...

#29 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostTercieI, on 10 October 2015 - 05:37 AM, said:

Glad it's working for you. :)

I agree about single UAC, FWIW...I never run one. My top choices for a setup like this are gauss or dual 5s. 10 is a distant third. An extreme outlier would be UAC5/AC2. That's not ideal, but nothing about this mech is so I might mess with it if I ever level this hunk of junk (seriously, I've leveled nearly 200 variants and this one joined the SDR-5V, PTR-10P, AWS-PB and a very few others on my "no, life's too short" list).

My son and I have been consistently getting 3 to 7 kills matches in the Pretty Baby. XL340, 2 LPL, 1 MPL and 3 SRM4s. I would have never thought so, but it's one of my deadliest mechs. We use it as a reinforced heavy, never leading the charge but right behind the big(ger) guys. 😄 Otherwise I agree with your list of wannabes.

#30 Gianky

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

Here's my take on this 'Mech, similar to the one Wildstreak posted before, mine drops the MASC to retain the MPL and CASE and add 1 more DHS.

WVR-7D(L)

#31 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostTorezu, on 12 October 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

That's a Shadow Hawk. Many other config options available. Yes, it's taller than a Wolverine, which is saying something, but it's also narrower and has a high shoulder-mounted B hardpoint instead of one in the arm. A Blackjack could mount an AC/20, but it's a little light...

I'm talking an arm-mounted AC20. Having one in the ST means a means no XL engine = slow as molasses. I have several Shadowhawks, but they are sluggish feeling compared to a Wolverine, even with the same size engine. Wolverines got a few agility quirks that really make them fun, IMO. BoomJacks are pretty sweet, but I just think a Wolvie could pull that off even better.

#32 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostGianky, on 12 October 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

Here's my take on this 'Mech, similar to the one Wildstreak posted before, mine drops the MASC to retain the MPL and CASE and add 1 more DHS.

WVR-7D(L)

Your CASE does nothing. All CASE does is prevent damage from one component from transferring to another. If your ammo blows in an XL ST, you're already dead.

#33 Gianky

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:27 AM

View PostTercieI, on 12 October 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

Your CASE does nothing. All CASE does is prevent damage from one component from transferring to another. If your ammo blows in an XL ST, you're already dead.

Well, live and learn! I always thought the CASE would protect the engine, but that's clearly not the ... case! :P

It does beg the question, though: what's it there for? They even put it in the basic design (both in TT and in MWO) when it's basically completely useless....

I'll switch it for another DHS... or maybe AMS + 1/2 ton of ammo.

#34 Spetulhu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:22 AM

View PostGianky, on 13 October 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

It does beg the question, though: what's it there for? They even put it in the basic design (both in TT and in MWO) when it's basically completely useless....

At least in the tabletop game it keeps the ammo explosion from spreading to the CT, which means there's less to repair once you salvage the mech. In this game? Hmm... maybe it's just so the enemy gets to destroy fewer components?

#35 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:32 AM

View PostSpetulhu, on 13 October 2015 - 03:22 AM, said:

At least in the tabletop game it keeps the ammo explosion from spreading to the CT, which means there's less to repair once you salvage the mech. In this game? Hmm... maybe it's just so the enemy gets to destroy fewer components?

This is my understanding, but I haven't played TT in 25 years, so I can't swear to it.

#36 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:42 AM

View PostGianky, on 13 October 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

It does beg the question, though: what's it there for?

Dunno but here it is better for STD engines.

#37 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:45 AM

No point in running the 7D without MASC, as you might as well just choose one of the others. The 7K does missiles better, the 6R does dakka dakka better.

#38 Gianky

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:46 AM

View PostSpetulhu, on 13 October 2015 - 03:22 AM, said:

View PostWildstreak, on 13 October 2015 - 05:42 AM, said:

Dunno but here it is better for STD engines.

Yep, and that's the point: it's useful only when you have STD engines, because when you have XL, as Terciel pointed out, you're dead and protecting the other components is, at this point in the evolution of MWO, totally useless. Since the WVR-7D comes stock with an XL engine, having CASE is a waste of tonnage. It should be so in TT, too, even though the rules aren't clear about that (I checked Total warfare and there's no mention of what happens to 'Mechs with XL engines, though CASE rules clearly states that all internals of the location affected by the explosions are lost in it, so, I think such a 'Mech should be destroyed in the explosion. But, again, this begs the question: since IS 'Mechs can equip CASE only in torso locations, this system seems to be totally useless for 'Mechs with XL engines....)

Edited by Gianky, 13 October 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#39 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:56 AM

CASE in TT also increased pilot survivability in XL 'Mechs... by stopping an ammo explosion in the side torso, it wouldn't be able to transfer through the CT to the head (which it could do if the CT didn't have enough HP left to soak up the explosion)- or blow out the torso-mounted cockpit, if your 'Mech was equipped with one. So yeah, there were reasons to mount it beyond just preserving more of the 'Mech for the salvage crews- it could save your pilot's life too. Since the pilot's death or survival isn't factored into MWO scoring, it's yet another reason to never bother with CASE on an XL build.

#40 VonGrunk

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

After much oil, sweat an tears, I have settled on a build. Two AC2 and two LRM5, with 3t AC2 ammo and 3t LRM ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users