• 2,773 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

#2 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

Good detailed responses. The resolution density vs strict resolution point makes a lot of sense, it's good to hear they're aware of our concerns and are willing to improve.

I hope you guys can implement the swappable specular texture system per the latest loyalty mechs.

Edited by process, 13 October 2015 - 03:16 PM.

#3 Lauren Bamlett

Texture Artist

• Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:09 PM

Posted Image

#4 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:20 PM

xD good stuff

#5 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

Excellent Dev Vlog and very informative. That was a whole boatload of highly insightful information for how the mechs are painted up, layered, and textured. Hopefully it serves as a show of just how much work goes into each mech. A few points:

1. I really look forward to seeing some of the older mechs brought up to date.

2. The concept of getting a customizable texture layer (as per the 2-year loyalty mechs) is awesome! I really hope that gets enough support to happen. Everything from hexagonal armor plates to scales to ablative cloth to old-and-grungy would be great for adding more personality to mechs.

3. As already said, the insight over texture density vs. raw numbers was probably one of the best and most enlightening parts. Very solid logic for controlling quality and graphical memory loads.

Overall it was wonderful. I hope we continue to get Dev Vlogs of that quality in the future. Keep the insightful and enlightening material coming! Thank you for putting it together.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

Obligatory "omg Lauren, Tina and/or Jonty are so attractive!"-post.

Also, my thoughts go out to Lauren, who realized that her coffee cup was empty less than 20 seconds into the interview.

Posted Image

#7 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 13 October 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Also, my thoughts go out to Lauren, who realized that her coffee cup was empty less than 20 seconds into the interview.

This guy. :lol:

#8 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

I wish that the old Inner Sphere mechs could get their faction camoes. It would be nice to see what a Hunchback would look like with a Steiner or Kurita scheme on it.

#9 Buzzkillin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

So the mech on the left there next to wang looks like the thantos?

#10 ConanTheGamer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

The Thanatos (to the left of the Yen-Lo-Wang), is that coming to the game?

Edited by ConanTheGamer, 13 October 2015 - 03:53 PM.

#11 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

As much as I am happy to get camo support on all those C-Bill bonus pack mechs - thank you so much again for that! I am highly disappointed that none of my questions got adressed despite providing questions and screenshots in both question threads (log#14 and #15). I am really concerned about the increasing variation some of the camo patterns do exhibit (woodland, vagabond and polygone). Within a certain camo pattern the area proportionality and curve radius' are highly conserved attributes. Those real life military camo patterns are not put on as randomly as they may look but instead are carefully calculated and created. Thus a camo pattern applied to different vehicles still shows a strict consistency which is lacking in MWOs woodland, vagabond and polygone patterns.
3 Color NATO Flecktarn:
http://www.panzerbae...leopard_2a5.htm
http://www.panzerbae...aguar_2_tow.htm
http://www.panzerbae...iesel_1_tow.pdf
http://www.panzerbae...5sitze_t4-a.htm
MASSTER US Camo:
http://www.panzerbae...r_mbt_m60-a.htm
http://www.panzerbae...r_trk_m52-a.htm

As one can see in the links provided the 3 color NATO camo pattern can clearly be distinguished from the 4 color US MASSTER camo pattern. This is not the case in MWO here both camo patterns are mixed under the name woodland.

It would be great if MWO would provide more coherency in it's more military looking camo patterns as there are a lot of military sophisticated players that like their mechs to look like actual tanks on legs - no glossy or shiny needed - this is what the holovid-jox of solaris 7 stables do use. But out in the field its matt camo.

Best regards,
Ryo

#12 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

Posted Image

Now I have to go back and see if you are pulling my leg.

Yeah...she was completely unprepared.

Edited by Bilbo, 13 October 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#13 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

First - I enjoyed the Dev Vlog very much ... most to the technical detail went way over my head, but it's clear that you're paying attention to our concerns and share many of them.

Second - translation issues with the IS Faction patterns ... please allow us to help with this rather than get rid of them entirely. I would rather the 'mechs retain the "personalized message" feel to them (like nose art on older aircraft, or some of the rude things warriors scribble on ordnance, or much of the BattleTech art that we've seen over the decades). Use the multi-lingual forums here to discuss ideas, or to just get confirmation that google translate didn't set you up for failure or ridicule.

#14 Der Kopfsammler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 239 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

Posted Image

Im sure someone refilled her cup at some point during the interview... :lol:

#15 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 13 October 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

Second - translation issues with the IS Faction patterns ... please allow us to help with this rather than get rid of them entirely. I would rather the 'mechs retain the "personalized message" feel to them (like nose art on older aircraft, or some of the rude things warriors scribble on ordnance, or much of the BattleTech art that we've seen over the decades). Use the multi-lingual forums here to discuss ideas, or to just get confirmation that google translate didn't set you up for failure or ridicule.

Yes also take care not to overload the mechs with inscriptions. A name, a slogan or a remark on a mech is cool. But to much is to much and the mech looks like a fully doodled school desk.

Also I think this should not be part of the camo pattern at all but be choseable seperately as every pilot would have a different motto or name on hers/his mech. Those inscriptions should not be uniform on all vehicles, rather make a selections of inscriptions to chose from like in World of Tanks.

Edited by Ryoken, 13 October 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#16 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:00 PM

Really disappointed about the damage textures though. They are absolutely the ugliest textures in all of MWO, in my opinion, and almost all feedback I've seen in regards to the damage textures is somewhere between disgust and apathy. Very few people seem to actually like the damage texture.

I understand the explanations for all the other issues, such as 4K textures, different channels, etc. But the damage texture is something else entirely. I'm not surprised that they're not changing it, but it's still disappointing.

#17 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

View PostLauren Bamlett, on 13 October 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

Woop woop!

Also, - is this the Jenner IIC?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 13 October 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#18 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

View PostOmaha, on 13 October 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Coolest sig I've seen on the forums :)

#19 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

When the new pilot model is done, I really hope you guys open up the textures to include color channels. It seems like a great way to personalize your pilot, and should drive paint sales just as much as, if not more than, painting your mech (since you see the pilot all the time from very close up, but on many maps and under many circumstances you can't pick out the colors on the mechs you see).

#20 Gumon Choji

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

Lauren has a cute voice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users