210 replies to this topic

#61 Beren Valari

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSeoul

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:53 PM

Proportions, proportions, proportions. The 3D artist messed this one up. Or maybe just reused geometry from other mechs? It's a mess. Not happy with this one.

#62 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:09 PM

Do we know the engine cap on this yet? im going to be pissed if I see these things zipping around at 140kph.

#63 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:23 PM

View PostStormie, on 14 October 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Do we know the engine cap on this yet? im going to be pissed if I see these things zipping around at 140kph.

Why would that p!ss you off? It's not like every single I.S. light in the game isn't going way beyond the speeds they're supposed to...

And the cap is 295 on all except the original WLF-1, where it's 315. That means 136.5/150.2 kph with maxed out engine on the slower ones and even faster on the WLF-1.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 14 October 2015 - 10:27 PM.

#64 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 690 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

The Wolfhound needs speed since it has no jump jets.

#65 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

I was hoping for something a little sleeker like the MW4 model.

View PostBeren Valari, on 14 October 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

Proportions, proportions, proportions. The 3D artist messed this one up. Or maybe just reused geometry from other mechs? It's a mess. Not happy with this one.

It does look closer to the Panther to be honest.

Looks like they made the chest bigger for the extra Medium laser. Lowering one laser so you wouldn't have 3 laser in a horizontal line would narrow that chest plat dramatically.

Still, as long as it plays well in game...

#66 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 14 October 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

Looks like they made the chest bigger for the extra Medium laser. Lowering one laser so you wouldn't have 3 laser in a horizontal line would narrow that chest plat dramatically.

which it should, given just how tightly packed those lasers are, nicely focused damage.

and need i remind you guys, at least one of these things has an engine cap of 315. you'll be able to go nearly as fast as Locusts, but not be made of cardboard.

and lastly, quit bitching about the design, it's fine. some of you should remember the Wolfhound was one of the first new mech models in centuries in the IS, and their manufacturing facilities and tech took a hell of a beating over that timeframe. also, this is a Battlemech, it's a war machine, it was never meant to be pretty, just effective at its job.

Edited by Arkhangel, 14 October 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#67 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 745 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:08 AM

View PostArkhangel, on 14 October 2015 - 11:31 PM, said:

and lastly, quit bitching about the design, it's fine. some of you should remember the Wolfhound was one of the first new mech models in centuries in the IS, and their manufacturing facilities and tech took a hell of a beating over that timeframe. also, this is a Battlemech, it's a war machine, it was never meant to be pretty, just effective at its job.

Funny that you try to sell this to us when talking about a totem mech...

#68 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:27 AM

the Wolfhound isn't a Totem mech, Hurrell. Totem mechs are clan mechs, like the Thunder Stallion for the Hell's Horses, and they're build mostly for show, they tend to be pretty crappy mechs themselves (the Thunder is pretty much just a support battlemech for tanks and elementals, which honestly is what the HH use mostly anyways).

do your research next time, "Commander".

#69 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:31 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 14 October 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yikes. This looks like something out of the mid-90s video games, not MWO.

Posted Image

#70 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:04 AM

The Shockwave is coming!
Posted Image

#71 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:05 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 October 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

It does have this very Centurion-esque bodyshape. Somewhat makes sense, since i'm pretty sure both of them are Davion designs (at least as far as i recall)

It'\s a stiener design but davion did help.

This mech was mainly inspired from the Hatchetman chassis and it bares resemblance to the Kuritan Panther- Despite the fact it looks similar to the panther and both are iconic for energy heavy platforms, they are not connected at all in terms of design. The thing is the Wolfhound was made to kill the panther and jenners the kuritans had and not to imitate them. Ironically, due to the huge success the Wolfhound has had the Kuritans wanted a mech simular to it but didn't want to copy it, instead when they salvaged a few wolfhound chassis they used it to insprie the 45 ton (10 ton heavier) "Wolftrap" which on the first load out is an LBX 10, 2 medium lasers, and LRM 10... to MW: O players looking at stock only... this is no different to the Centurion D.
However the other variants have strong differences to the stock and the Centurion.

Heh... it's a big circle...

Hatchetman (LC) Wolfhound (LC)
Panther (Ku) / Jenner (Ku) < Wolfhound (LC)

Wolfhound (LC) Wolftrap (Ku)

Wolftrap (Ku) = Centurion(FS / LC)

So I guess I see why you think it looks similar to a Centurion...

In terms of load out, role, and strategic attributes and abilities. Made by different manufacturers and have a different chassis and designation

#72 Sgraz

• Pip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:05 AM

Okay, I don´t normally complain but this mech. It is not even close the concept art. Legs are fine but from waist up. Guys, really, please do some editing for this. Its just ugly like this and it misses that sleek Wolfhound look. When you compare this to old TRO pictures and your own concept art, this is really looking like Panther with some small edits.

If you are having too little time and deadline is closing, then just take few more weeks time. We have waited that mech like 6 months, few weeks more won´t hurt us.

Edited by Sgraz, 15 October 2015 - 01:10 AM.

#73 ASHTAR0N

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:17 AM

I´m sorry but this just looks horrible and nothing like the concept art. First the front Window on the head is way too square and big, it looks like a TV screen. The same goes for the torso section. Generally everything on the concept art looked alot rounder and better. And as someone mentioned before this looks like something out of a 90s game where it was hard to create round objects.

Sadly none of this will be changed, even though there are 7 guys working on the mech models (stated in the last dev log). They won´t have any time to remodel something because they are busy mass producing new mechs (IIC, Marauder, Warhammer).

By the way I´m still waiting for the Enforcers head to be fixed and look like the concept art...

Edited by ASHTAR0N, 15 October 2015 - 01:19 AM.

#74 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:23 AM

NOT again .... :( PGI do the mech as the design does not put you to invent as well as throws and ugly and has nothing special and so hard to do the right thing ???? The first sincerely. Cash for trash :angry:

#75 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:34 AM

to far use same R1 plzPosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#76 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:39 AM

View PostStormie, on 14 October 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

View PostRamrod AI, on 14 October 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

The Wolfhound needs speed since it has no jump jets.

We knew the engine cap since day 1, it moves the same speed as any other 35 tonner besides 1 of htem which is the fastest 35 tonner in game as of the current moment. Also I do not think no jumpjets is a valid reasoning... Majority of- practically virutally all mechs drop JJ for more firepower, rather it be firestarter, raven 4X, highlander, direwolf, etc. the only mechs that use it often are hardwired clans such as the Nova... which if there was an option to remove JJ... you would rarely see JJ on it...

Also 140 kph?! are you crying that 140 kph is to slow? that's barely 10 kph slower then the max speed for most 35 tonners. While the panther and 2 ravens go that speed and the fastest clan mech currently goes 140 kph... you do not see anyone crying the arctic cheetah is to slow and underpowered...

I am slightly disappointed. I wished these guys are low speed Lights (say 130 kph and slower) but the trade of was large ammount of armour buffs because in canon and lore this was the most heaviest armed light mech commonly fielded in this time period. This is a mech you do not often use for scouting, or recon, or spotting, or harassment, This is a light that is used as a Skirmisher and a Brawler. Think about that for a second... this is a light mech made to take hits and hit hard back... The 40 and 45 tonners in this game are not made for that and do not fair to well under fire... This thing was the alpha wolf of 3050 as it was considered one of the most powerful light mechs in combat. Kuritans are envious over it, the Stieners hold it close to them, Davions lucky to get a few, the rest use urbanmechs and pretend there is no problem...

I wanted this as I do not another stereotypical "7 small pulse laser 150 kph bleeeeeergh!" mech, this is why I loved the release of the clan lights, the panther, the existance of the raven and the urbanmech. It breaks that mold and people learned to like them, Having higher firepower on a light chassis as they never tried to do so before...

Not saying I will go on strike and refund due to this fantasy or dream coming true. It might still come true- but overall I will still keep it true to it's roots... if anyone wonders why my Wolfhound has half the alpha of a Timberwolf and doesn't die to an AC 20 shot than don't act surprised... ;)

View PostSteel Raven, on 14 October 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

MW4 was not 'sleaker', it is as bulky- if anything was more bulkier. Why was it so 'sleak'? same reason the grasshopper is! Because it's bloody tall, I asked my non battletech fans by looking through MW4 mech lab adn simply guess what weight class the wolfhound is by comparing it to other mechs, no one guessed light, most people guessed a medium or heavy. Why? It was nearly as high as some of those mechs and in some cases taller... If you want a 35 ton light mech be slim but as tall as a centurion then reffer to above. I want my armour quirks to mimic what MW4 did and what the canon used it for. Poor on speed, but big on firepower and armour.

View PostRamrod AI, on 14 October 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

I know quirks are going to poof but please please let this mech have some good ones for now. It's a light mech that can't jump. It needs some good laser quirks.

Quirks are not going poof, they are just getting revamped and changed. And this mech- I hope... will get strong armour quirks as per canon. If anything I would imagine agility as well but not much info tech due to being a poor scout for it's price, it wasn't made to be a scout. It was made to destroy other lights specifically jenner and panther.

Also refer to above for point on JJ

View PostBeren Valari, on 14 October 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

Was going to comment on this bud...

View PostSuperiorRobutts, on 14 October 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

not digging the 3d rendering, proportion wise
made some edits

Posted Image

Now- I am not calling "hax" or "fake" or what ever... but something is odd... ya see... this is the photo I see... Posted Image

Differences for the lazy eyed people?
  • the arangement of CT and ST lasers has changed
  • textures in the area surrounding CT and ST weapons have changed
  • Cockpit has changed colour
  • Cockpit has slightly changed shape
Shoulders dropped to be flat and not perked up

So... I am slightly confused. I remember waking up today and being very excited on how sexy this looks, then I see your post complaining how it is the opposite... is it possible that you got a picture of an earlier tease/ it's "unfinished' state? Because this is the latest picture I got by my knowledge and I am like... you know, slightly confused...

Personally I think bashing on the MW: O devs quickly is a bad idea... I do not think taking in bad designs and accepting it is a better idea either... I would rather think that we should remind ourselfs these are real people working behind the computers working hard on these and probably pushing extra hard to get it working... We do have to remember they remoddled the entire head area just to please us fanatics who want ears on our wolfhound. I think positive encouragement and suggestions would go a long way and I do hope the community does mature a bit up and be a bit more respectful because the sooner we treat the devs and such as real people and not slaves who only exist for our pleasure and for the game the sooner they will treat us as humans and not a reason to go to your local psychotherapist every week and giving you a bad gut feeling every time you go dare look at the forums and log in on twitter...
Sorry if this seems to target you- it's just everyone here extremely ravelling in 'disgust' and raging out there.

View PostANGRY Ike, on 14 October 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

Disappointed in the transition from concept art to real game render. Proportions are off, head sucks, shoulders and upper for arms seem way to square and blocky compared to concept.

This, the Enforcer (especially the head) and the Black Knight are all poorly translated from concept to reality, I think. The Right arm is fat and ugly, like it's wearing a damned hand **** instead of the thin, sleek right arm in the concept.

Had I not bought the Mauler pack, I would not be purchasing the Wolfhound individually.

The right arm didn't get any extra weight... it's slightly shorter... Concept art also had a hand on the other side.... etc... You do forget the differences between a static 2D glorifide concept art and a 3D model that works in game... Reffer to above for other points...

I have no problem with black knight and enforcer... in fact I like the extra additions those mechs got between now and concept art... Black knight may not be a copy paste of my nostelgic MW4: mercs... but it is still a good mech... and I am defiantely going to enjoy this mech... and reffer to the bellow response for more details...

View PostLordLosh, on 14 October 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

When the badge looks better then the mech..............................You might have a problem!
So glad i didn't spend money on this. Far cry from the design art.

Your own opinion I guess.

It isn't a far cry at all. It nearly looks identical...

Mist lynx concept to 3D model on the other hand... needs a lot more work... basically virtually all weapon mounts need to be remade to a better condition, SMaller lasers, relocation of ballistics and size of ballistics... missile shapes... etc...

View PostMoebius Pi, on 14 October 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

And the ugliest mech in the game award goes to... the Wolfhound.

It reminds...
... are atrocious.

Not impressed. I'd be embarrassed piloting it from an aesthetics standpoint. It's like a Centurion had a stillborn, dwarfed child out of a brick shaped birthing vent.

Okay, Wolfhound is apparently a black knight, enforcer, panther, arctic cheetah and a Centurion all at the same time while also a wolf trap and a hatchet man if we look at lore...

That... or to many people have to many personal expectations crushed and are lashing out... -shrugs-. You may be embarresed piloting it, I will stride in it with pride... you may die in a horrific fire when a locust looked at you the wrong way, and I will go slay the jenners and panthers the mech was built to destroy...

but overall, it's your opinion. Sadly PGI can't go fix the bugs with your opinion and fix it for you.

View PostScout Derek, on 14 October 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

And I'd like to say, with no disrespect because his concepts are always good, that out of the entire bunch of Orgins IIC mechs, that the Highlander IIC is the ugliest of them all.

At least, from what I see right now...

Well personally I do not think the Highlander IIC looks bad at all. I should also mention the fact that it's a war machine and it isn't meant to look sexy all the time... Some of them will by ugly and that isn't a bad thing. In some cases the mech was designed to be ugly to create an impact on the enemy such as the Atlas.. do not see many people complaining about that mech... well... about it's looks anyway... I do like how he incorperated the round theme he put with the IIC's as he put in the Jenner and Hunchback IIC's... that could be the offputting part for you however as it stands away from the generic blocks MW: O is famous for that are called legs, torsoes, and heads. :ph34r:

#77 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:52 AM

View PostSgraz, on 15 October 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Okay, I don´t normally complain but this mech. It is not even close the concept art. Legs are fine but from waist up. Guys, really, please do some editing for this. Its just ugly like this and it misses that sleek Wolfhound look. When you compare this to old TRO pictures and your own concept art, this is really looking like Panther with some small edits.

If you are having too little time and deadline is closing, then just take few more weeks time. We have waited that mech like 6 months, few weeks more won´t hurt us.

Saying it looks nothing like the concept art is a far cry... especially considering the clan wave II mechs (specifically Mist Lynx) being out there as well...

The arms look nearly the same besides slight change in the length of the barrel and size of the hand.
Cockpit looks nearly... well I can't say the same as the community made it switch a few times already in the design process (silly ears... I still love you) and such... The torso looks virtually the same (I personally think it's better) etc...

The sleak look the Wolfhound has is slightly part of it being so tall and if you want this to be the first 35 ton mech to be the same height as some 45 or 55 tonners out there well I think a lot of people will vote this as being the next mech to remodel... At least it will be slim like the MW4 Wolfhound "am I right?"...
The problem is both Panther and Wolfhound are similar mechs in terms of hardpoints, weapon locaiton, and tonnage. it will obviously look similar, the Same way the Summoner and Thunderbolt look similar or the Hellbringer and Warhammer and the hammer hands... (ish). There is nothing PGI can do much with it. They went with a more traditional head design and made a different arm for it but people didn't like the original TRO head, they wanted a more round animal like head and that's what we got... could be Resistance II version only and your prayers are answered for the rest but otherwise there isn't much they can do... the Central torso area is changed completely and the shoulder design is as different as the TRO and MW: O will stretch for it... but the problem with saying it doesn't look more then 90% of the concept art is the concept art is just that... a concept art... It's a concept, an Idea. It can theoretically look like a Firestarter from the original Wolfhound concept art and that'll be fine... Complaining the concept art and model doesn't look the same is not really there problem as they did warn you about buying a product before seeing it and advised if you are really fussy on the matter you may need to wait until it's in game and then buy the pack then. the extra early purchase awards are mainly a "this is for those who risked buying it without seeing final product...". Which is reasonable...

I personally got no problem with the final product... I personally think the panther and wolfhounds arm should be longer but thats just me...

#78 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:54 AM

I love how people complain he looks bad and ugly...
Let's not forget the Wolfhound was a blocking thing first and most of the original TRO are pretty much Ugly.

Personatly I like it, can't wait to have it.

#79 Ostrea

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:12 AM

A mech only its mother could love.
As a rookie, I embarrass myself enough in battle. Don't need help from the designer(s) on that count. The skinny waist, broad shoulders and pointy ears render it a werewolf inspired abomination – or, if you will, Tier 5 anthropomorphism.
http://openwalls.com...b3_werewolf.jpg
Sorry.

#80 Boyka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:13 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sigh.. :(

Edited by Boyka, 15 October 2015 - 03:15 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users