Half Of Team Dying Without Saying Anything

69 replies to this topic

#41 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

If you couldn't tell trouble was coming when i tapped "R" over at least 3 of the mechs that killed me... well then why would warning you any other way be different?

#42 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 16 October 2015 - 09:57 PM, said:

If you couldn't tell trouble was coming when i tapped "R" over at least 3 of the mechs that killed me... well then why would warning you any other way be different?

If you did that then you don't belong in the "not a peep" group. It's the people who don't press R or do anything that are the problem.

#43 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

It always puzzles me how this is suppose to be a team game but one of the basics of teamwork: communciation is so under used and rudimentary. If MWO was suppose to be a AAA game (as they say) why couldn't they see what other games had as successful tools (like a comm wheel/rose) or basic function keys (like WoT).

I may be terrible at this game, but I know enough to relay any information I can, drop a UAV before I die, or run into cover and type "D4" before going back into the fray. I guess PGI assumes everyone is a touch typist with 60+wpm?

Even if my mic does not work, I will write "copy/aff/wilco" to the person who does have voice. And yes, I can confirm there are people in the "underhive" of tier 4-5 that DO communicate, use voicecomms or type. I'm actually seeing more atrocious PUG stomps in the Oceanic server, so I seeing how much better it is in NA and in Europe. For the record, I've barely gotten a peep out of people on that Server and that usually is a regular mass murder.

Whats worse, is usually when I que "What's the plan" the usual response is some snarky/asinine comment like "don't die" etc. Otherwise typing is simply not seen/read or acted upon.

If this truly is Introvert Warrior:Online, a comm wheel would help marginally. You lead a dying mechwarrior to teamwork, but you can't make him use it. Still I'd rather have that and a Function Key comms over MechWarrior meets Mavis Beacon anyday.

#44 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:54 PM

You can give orders and signals by bringing up the map if you are in lance or team command, but it's very clunky.

#45 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:04 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 16 October 2015 - 11:54 PM, said:

You can give orders and signals by bringing up the map if you are in lance or team command, but it's very clunky.

Yes... the mere thought of trying to direct the same command to every lance at once is an exercise in futility.

Repeating the same action 3 times is not anyone's idea of efficient.

Freaking Lostech.

#46 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:39 AM

Yeah, I don't get it. It's not 1985. If it takes you two minutes to type "3 lights behind us" then you need to see a doctor. Especially players who died and didn't disconnect, and are just spectating in silence while their team walks into an ambush.

But I guess it's better among top tier than low tier, and better on North American server than European server.

#47 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:57 AM

I will speak up if I feel I can be saved AND if I'm in a tactically sound location where I'm not sending anyone who helps me to a useless death cause I try random stuff alot.

If there's a mech flanking up on the group or a particularly mean build in the hands of a partiucarly mean pilot, I'll let people know absolutely, especially if I'm dead and watching.

Otherwise I'll tend to leave people to play their game the way they want and try to improve my own intution and awareness by working on playing off them as best i can. I like to watch players who I feel are doing well in the game and learn from what they're doing. I feel I spoil that if I interfere too much with chatter.

The perfect pug game is that 12/0 stomp without a word because people were on their game.

Edited by AlphaToaster, 17 October 2015 - 01:00 AM.

#48 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:18 AM

I dunno maybe PGI can add an emergency beacon to a mech, push a button and your dorito flashes for a few seconds to let everyone know your in trouble!!!

#49 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:20 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 16 October 2015 - 11:54 PM, said:

Considering the pace of combat versus types of commands, I get the impression it'd make a lot more sense at the battalion or higher level. Such foresight! That feature is all set for 36vs36+ matches! :ph34r: :rolleyes:

#50 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:07 AM

The issue is Voip is poorly implemented. many who try to use it stop out of frustration. I just swapped headsets because my last one went south. Took several matches to get it to work or at least I think is.
The first time I used it it took several adhustments guessing all the way and asking for help in match.

With this new one the caps lock does't work with my vox headset and it took several trys to find a key PTT that would work. Even now there is a delay and clipping from what I have been told. We need some way to test and self check out audio.

#51 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:44 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 16 October 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

I'm sure this has happened to all of us on the solo queue.

Question is: why? Why not message? Why not use voice comms? Why not even a single fart to let team know you are in trouble?

Your answer is in your question: solo queue.

#52 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:55 AM

sometimes yes, sometime no. Voice coms are best...

#53 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:32 AM

I too notice that a lot of players dont have vox, or at least do not use it. Thankfully, when I speak up and give positions of enemy mechs, need help, suggestions on positions, etc, I do get some response so I know they can hear me. Once in a while I'll get a squeak from a player, but in general I can tell when a player has been on long enough to know a few things and the "do's n don'ts". :)

#54 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:42 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 October 2015 - 06:02 PM, said:

You stopped playing for an entire year until a couple of weeks ago and is T2? How? PGI should have ranked you from the games you played since January 1st to September 22nd. By all means you should have started on T4-5.

I stopped for 10 months and made tier 1 in about a week. I don't know were I started, I was halfway up tier 2 before I noticed there were tiers.

#55 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:50 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 16 October 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

I would love to see this backed up by fact. care to cite?

I disagree too-from personal experience I'd guess at around 95% of solo players are mic/chat shy. Skill has nothing to do with it. Modern mmo gamers want everything apart from the multiplayer part.

#56 Michael Abt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:50 AM

While it is understandable that a player may not be able to give intel while he is busy fighting there is no reason not to after his/her death.

#57 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:54 AM

View PostSgtMagor, on 17 October 2015 - 01:18 AM, said:

I dunno maybe PGI can add an emergency beacon to a mech, push a button and your dorito flashes for a few seconds to let everyone know your in trouble!!!

Every dorito/triangle should flash automatically if under fire....

p.s: i have the feeling that there are more people trying to give voice-comands on US servers, which is normal,
i guess - to many different languages here in europe for comunication. not everyone had "english" in school.

Edited by Mike McSullivan, 17 October 2015 - 04:58 AM.

#58 Belazaar

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:33 AM

I think it is a few reasons why people don't communicate .
  • We have a lot to keep up with during a match watching enemies on our screen, watching for snipers, watching our target's silhouette, watching our own silhouette, keeping track of our heat, watching the map and monitoring chat which doesn't stay around long enough to read.
  • Also many don't speak the same language.
  • I've heard some players mock people that do try to communicate, so that person may not try it again.
  • Newer people don't know to do it. Since it doesn't happen much in T4-5 and that is were people start they never learn to do it. They are unsure what to say.
  • And then there are players that just don't care.

Players that play in group cue or with clans should do it more to lead by example and remember it takes time to learn out to do it all.

I listen for voice commands, but don't always see the chat.

#59 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:57 AM

I am pretty sure that enemy mechs killed anyone who is dead on my team. I don't expect those that died to tell me things I should already know.

#60 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:40 AM

View PostBelazaar, on 17 October 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

I think it is a few reasons why people don't communicate .
  • We have a lot to keep up with during a match watching enemies on our screen, watching for snipers, watching our target's silhouette, watching our own silhouette, keeping track of our heat, watching the map and monitoring chat which doesn't stay around long enough to read.
  • Also many don't speak the same language.
  • I've heard some players mock people that do try to communicate, so that person may not try it again.
  • Newer people don't know to do it. Since it doesn't happen much in T4-5 and that is were people start they never learn to do it. They are unsure what to say.
  • And then there are players that just don't care.
Players that play in group cue or with clans should do it more to lead by example and remember it takes time to learn out to do it all.

I listen for voice commands, but don't always see the chat.

This is an incredible point. My girlfriend gets seriously embarrassed when she speaks English with incorrect grammar. We joke out of fun but I would never insult her for real, it's the 4th language she speaks. I can't tell you how many times I've seen ******** make fun of someone because they used the wrong "their," they're" or "there." English is the dominant language in this game and it's tough as hell to learn. All that said, I can't type fast enough to use it and there's too much going on for my slow brain to read as well as fight. I try to use voice comes but the sad reality is that people either DGAF or have disabled the feature, and this is in Tier 1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users