• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 23 October 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

could also try a small tool called settimerresolution, see if keeping that active in the background does something similar to unparking

This is an issue … for Win7 and early, but not 8.x and later; Nor is it similar to the Win7/ i7 core parking thing.

But it is an issue …

#62 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostCatamount, on 23 October 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

I agree with Wired. I'm sorry, but I'm enormously dubious of claims of 100fps FX6300s, or even 80fps FX6300s, or even 60fps FX6300s. I have no doubt, during GPU-dependent moments, that it spikes that high, but I doubt that's even a mean, and there's no possible way those are minimums.

I get over 100fps with my build, however that is when there is literally nothing going on in-game. I typically run from 40-60fps, with drops down to 25-35fps in certain situations, while running Raptr. It's much more stable when I have Raptr disabled. And I have my settings at medium/high. If I turned them down it would be much better. So MWO is very playable on an FX6300. It's not going to wow anyone, but it gets the job done and is pretty cheap. I highly doubt there's a better quad core chip for the same price. And the Pentium is likely better for MWO, some newer games won't run on a dual core setup and that's a trend that's likely to continue. So I guess I'm just saying it's an option to consider. If you don't need to impress the other guys on Mechwarrior and might want to play some other games as well, it's worth looking into.

#63 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:08 PM

View PostShinobiHunter, on 23 October 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

I get over 100fps with my build, however that is when there is literally nothing going on in-game. I typically run from 40-60fps, with drops down to 25-35fps in certain situations, while running Raptr. It's much more stable when I have Raptr disabled. And I have my settings at medium/high. If I turned them down it would be much better. So MWO is very playable on an FX6300. It's not going to wow anyone, but it gets the job done and is pretty cheap. I highly doubt there's a better quad core chip for the same price. And the Pentium is likely better for MWO, some newer games won't run on a dual core setup and that's a trend that's likely to continue. So I guess I'm just saying it's an option to consider. If you don't need to impress the other guys on Mechwarrior and might want to play some other games as well, it's worth looking into.

Yeah, but a guy building a budget system starting with the Haswell-based Pentium can come into cash later and boost his performance considerably while getting pretty much the same initial experience from the beginning. The FX6300 doesn't really lend itself to an upgrade path like that should the person get some more budget down the road.

#64 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 23 October 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Yeah, but a guy building a budget system starting with the Haswell-based Pentium can come into cash later and boost his performance considerably while getting pretty much the same initial experience from the beginning. The FX6300 doesn't really lend itself to an upgrade path like that should the person get some more budget down the road.

Agreed. However, if OP has no interest in spending more money on his PC, and can deal with "good enough" rather than "totally frikken awesome" performance, the AMD delivers. Intel is a better choice overall, but like your GT-R, costs a lot more to get into and the alternative is still going to give you a good time.

@ Verstaka, if you do want to go Intel, and plan to upgrade later, focus more on your Motherboard than your CPU for now. You don't want a crappy board when you drop serious money on a CPU later.

#65 MechWiz

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

You can probably get someone to give you a case and power supply to save you cost.

You can probably get someone to give you a case and power supply to save you cost.

#66 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:53 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 23 October 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Very true.

#67 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:28 AM

That may be a compelling reason to pick Haswell over Ivy, too, even if it is somewhat more expensive right now. Price isn't so critical once the OS isn't squeezing the budget.

Edited by Catamount, 24 October 2015 - 03:29 AM.

#68 KhanJames

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationFl

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:32 AM

Not sure where the FX 60+ stable FPS Performance in mwo is coming from. I would personally love to know since i had an 8320 that was overclocked to 4.2 and it was never that high (unless you mean turn basically everything low and use a custom user.cfg which i doubt is your implication). when the smoke/steam and combat started the Frames always dropped by atleast 10-15 and that was with particles on low and using a custorm user.cfg. And no Im not an intel fanboy I personally like amd every PC except my current gaming rig has been AMD. I use A FM2 for my "media center" pc and my FX is still working as a "guest" gaming rig.So having spent about a thousand on my FX rig and over a thousand on my intel the reality is that AMD is fine for most games but for MWO intels have a significant advantage. the single core preformance blows AMD out of the water. thats not fanboyism thats statistics and reality. AMD is cheaper but since hes posting on a MWO forum im assuming he wants to play MWO. Yes they have begun optimising it better but for now intel is still king of MWO.

Also FX is a dead end. i believe i heard that the FM integrated graphics cpus are supposed to be getting a 6(+) core version but thats been floating around for a while with nothing happening, maybe gonna happen with DDR4 but if it does thats even more expensive In the mean time they are not up to real gaming. So although i agree in a price vs performance AMD wins but in long term and MWO intel wins.

Neweggs bundles can great for the "core" (mobo, processor, memory) of the PC, and like i said previosly they have good deals/prices for I5s which are indisputably better than FXs for MWO, especially since you more than likely wont want to overclock to significantly since you dont have a backup and low budget to replace parts. Also unlike ebay newegg will allow you to return damaged and usually ship a new one while your shipping the damaged one. Plus they have warranties.

#69 Elbrun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:53 AM

Just did a build for someone in similar straights, so I'll just post up the parts list and approx. cost for the parts on newegg.

AMD A10-7700k APU (4x cpu cores, 6x R7 gpu cores) 3.6ghz $117
ASUS A68HM-K Mobo $57
Mushkin Enhanced Stealth 8gb RAM $43
Western Digital 1tb HDD (was on sale for $23 last week) $23-51 (catch sales)
EVGA 500W PSU $41
DIYPC Solo-T1-BLK Case $29

Total $338 (used $51 for HDD)

if you need an OS, Win10 full Home edition USB is +$123, for a total of $461. Add a monitor, keyboard, and mouse you like. You can get all three for less than $200 from various sources.

This build allows for eventual upgrading with a crossfired dedicated video card as well as additional ram. And it will play MWO and many other titles at medium or high settings at 50fps easily.

Edited by Elbrun, 24 October 2015 - 04:55 AM.

#70 Laurencius

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

http://tech-port.de/...500€-4k-Gaming/

this is a actual list for pc 's in Parts,for different budgeds . I Never find a better list in the Web .

#71 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

View PostLaurencius, on 24 October 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

http://tech-port.de/...500€-4k-Gaming/

this is a actual list for pc 's in Parts,for different budgeds . I Never find a better list in the Web .

Except all of those are terrible for the OP's budget when you do the conversion

#72 Laurencius

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

hm..I didn't realised that he need a Monitor etc. etc.
But i think a amd cpu and a low budget nvidia gtx gpu a also a wrong way.

#73 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

Guys, Guys, guys... seriously. Here is the link to one of the topics Wired was speaking of.

http://mwomercs.com/...processor-guys/

All in all I would have to say the very same thing that I said back then regarding my FX-8350 @5ghz vs my new I7 4670K @ 4.8ghz. One of the key things to note is that as I stated before, no matter what fraps reported as my avg/min/high fps was, after PGI made improvements to the code, my FX rig performed very acceptable even in this game. Does the my new Intel rig put out better numbers, yes it does. Does it really matter to me or give me any type of edge.... I m sorry, I don't believe it does. My FX rig was ALMOST as smooth in game as my Intel rig is now, other then the exception that all users used to get hit with from time to time, micro stutters, warping.... and I wasn't even using core park. I also didn't make any changes in my config. files and still haven't with my Intel rig I am running now.

I honestly can say the new Intel wasn't needed to have a enjoyable playing experience in this game, IMO. I am very picky about the quality of my game play, settings, eye candy balls to the wall and when I see something I don't like, I build a new rig or upgrade. However, I am not one to blow $5000+ on a gaming rig that I build, just never felt like it really could be justified.

Please continue..... :P :D ;)

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 24 October 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#74 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

The TLDR version is FX chips: pay the price for good, merely get acceptable.

Stock i5s, even something like a 4460, perform better than stock FX 8350s, and overclocking that 8350 basically means you have to pay for more CPU cooler and CPU just get similar performance that the i5 was giving out of the box, only now you don't have the upgrade options left over and your machine sucks down more power and runs hotter.

#75 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostCatamount, on 24 October 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

The TLDR version is FX chips: pay the price for good, merely get acceptable.

Stock i5s, even something like a 4460, perform better than stock FX 8350s, and overclocking that 8350 basically means you have to pay for more CPU cooler and CPU just get similar performance that the i5 was giving out of the box, only now you don't have the upgrade options left over and your machine sucks down more power and runs hotter.

I don't think there's really much reason to use a 8350 over a 6300 for MWO. FX 6300 is where the value is with AMD. It's almost as powerful per core and runs under $100. A $30 CoolerMaster 212 EVO CPU cooler will be plenty, but there's no denying the FX chips do draw a good bit of power. There's no decent Intel under that, besides the Pentium 3258. Which will need to be overclocked to do anything anyhow and need an aftermarket cooler.

As a semi-related question, which maps are most taxing on a system? I'm going to try to record some games with my build and see what my fps look like.

Edited to add:

So I recorded a match and watched my fps through the whole match. It was on Canyon Network, which I believe isn't too hard a map on the CPU. My highest was 112, and my lowest was 28 although it only dipped that low twice and didn't go below 30 any other time. When I was in the middle of the fight, I got 35-45fps; on the outside of the fighting, 45-55; just running around the map, 60-80. This was with a recording program running, but no other programs.

Settings are:
1920x1080
Fullscreen
DX9
Motion Blur: off
V-Sync: off
Damage Glow: on
Effects: Medium
Detail: High
Particles: Low
Post Processing: Low
Shading: Medium
Shadows: Medium
Texturing: High
Environment: Low
Anti-Aliasing: PostAA

No user.cfg file.

Edited by ShinobiHunter, 24 October 2015 - 04:48 PM.

#76 Verstaka

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:25 PM

Well my friend and I cracked the laptop open and almost immediately we found a couple of small parts of the motherboard that seemed to have broken themselves off somehow, hence the rattling in my laptop. So after everyone's suggestions the one that seems to fit my needs best is McKenna's build.

View PostDV McKenna, on 21 October 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

Reading the OP it was $500 for the tower. Your not going to be setting any worlds alight but quadcore is possible with the admission your not going to be setting the world alight.

Intel
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jHXXcf

It's a tad over budget but for roughly 600 after shipping and throwing in an internal hardrive if mine isn't compatible for some reason this looks to be a pretty solid machine. My friend is selling me his third monitor and cables and mouse/ keyboard I'm looking at will be about $30

#77 Laurencius

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:50 PM

http://pcpartpicker....-card-100364vxl

I think this is a better chois for the gpu for the Same Money .
In my opinion a r9 280x is the best Solution in Price to Performance .
at least in Germany, i think.
The Rest is ok at first appearance.

#78 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

That should do the trick and be a pretty decent build to get you back up and running. Down the road if you want to upgrade your PSU and your GPU, you could have a nice rig for playing this game. I am curious as to the "parts" that just broke off in your laptop though.... doesn't sound like a chip coming lose of the mother board.... rather odd and maybe it can be fixed depending on ones experience and knowing where those parts go back to.

#79 Verstaka

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:19 AM

I'm not sure what part it was exactly. It looked almost like part of a USB socket. The little fragments were about half a cm across and put together looked like they made up a corner. Wasn't the same material the laptop case was made of either.

#80 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:31 AM

DV's build is good as-is. The GTX 950TI performs as well or slightly better than the HD 270X, for less power consumption.

It's still nice to see people trying to play with it, but honestly, I'm not sure any change is going to be meaningful at this point. As long as the money's there for it, it's pretty darn optimal.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users