Advice For Making A Budget Rig?

95 replies to this topic

#81 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostVerstaka, on 25 October 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

I'm not sure what part it was exactly. It looked almost like part of a USB socket. The little fragments were about half a cm across and put together looked like they made up a corner. Wasn't the same material the laptop case was made of either.

So these little parts were made of metal? If so it is a possibility that it shorted out the MB.... It can happen. :(

If it did in fact hit some of the traces on the mother board, you will see burn marks on it. Take all the screws out and fully take out the motherboard and inspect it for any burn marks or damage. If there are not any, you might still be able to bake it following the proper instructions and fix your laptop. Laptops are a different beast, you have to be extremely gentle with the components when fixing them. If you are not comfortable with being gentle or don't think you can, don't mess with it, you will most likely brick if for sure. There are great videos on youtube that show you how to take apart your model of laptop I am sure... follow them to the T if you proceed.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 25 October 2015 - 07:05 AM.

#82 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:43 AM

I love how the amd fanboys - who have been debunked and ridiculed in other threads - jump on some unsuspecting newbie, tell them their rigs do 1080p 60fps all the time and then a few posts later say their amd system never drops consistently below 30 fps.

lol

#83 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:19 AM

As someone who has done everything suggested in these forums to improve performance on my AMD, I will freely say don't go AMD. Especially with these map rebuilds. With the old maps, great FPS at a combo of high/very high on everything. New maps, FPS tanks just turning around in the drop zone. Not enough to make me drop settings, but enough to notice.

Go Intel if MWO is your primary game. I just wish I could justify side-grading right now to an i7 myself.

#84 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:40 AM

I don't think there's really any argument which way you should go at this point if you're building something new.

Exhibit A: 4.8GhZ OCed FX8320E vs stock 6700K
http://www.anandtech...ct/1403?vs=1543

Exhibit B: Stock FX6300 vs stock Pentium 3258
http://www.anandtech...uct/699?vs=1265

See how the single-threaded performance is all Intel? This is what we care about for MWO. Our game needs brute force right now. This cheaper Haswell Pentium chip is still the better of the two (not to mention it gains more when overclocked). Now Skylake Pentium chips are coming out at the same price point. We have no reason to recommend an AMD chip at all at this stage.

#85 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:17 AM

I've sometimes felt like it's a shame that Intel doesn't just put out a $130(ish) unlocked i3, give us something to OC that has HT as well for a bit more power in more threaded programs, but honestly the FX chips have just slipped so far in the market as Intel has moved forward bit-by-bit, that there's just no reason for them.

Even a lower grade i5, like a 4430 or 4570, is going to at least tie that 8320. Even the downclocked 4570S matches the OCed 8320. So even without OCing, if you only have a sub-$200 budget and can't squeeze more, the i5 is still the better option.

#86 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostCatamount, on 29 October 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

I've sometimes felt like it's a shame that Intel doesn't just put out a $130(ish) unlocked i3, give us something to OC that has HT as well for a bit more power in more threaded programs, but honestly the FX chips have just slipped so far in the market as Intel has moved forward bit-by-bit, that there's just no reason for them.

Even a lower grade i5, like a 4430 or 4570, is going to at least tie that 8320. Even the downclocked 4570S matches the OCed 8320. So even without OCing, if you only have a sub-$200 budget and can't squeeze more, the i5 is still the better option.

One can hope that Zen bridges the gap very nicely and Intel is forced to release your above-mentioned budget show-stopper.

#87 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

View PostKaptain, on 23 October 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

Says the guy who has provided exactly zero links to his data he claims exists "somewhere" :P I think you deliberately misinterpreted that statement? but ill swap "press" for "word of mouth" to be perfectly clear. I wonder how many users are playing on an fx chip and getting about half the FPS they should be getting because the chip was parking. When I first got my buddies system up and running I was getting yellow fps in the mid 40s. After applying the hotfix performance doubled and I never noticed it drop out of the green. I agree I need to record the fps so I know what min and averages are. Perhaps their is a huge difference in performance. I sure didn't notice it though.

And for the record I'm not arguing that the I5 and FX are the same. I am well aware of the single core performance difference. What I am claiming is that the FX6300, especially overclocked, delivered/delivers a very enjoyable experience, on high, in this game. ...

Here you go. I compared an overclocked FX-8350@4.8 GHz to my i3. Even a full GHz faster (and don't worry, cores weren't "parked", hotfixes applied, could even test this in Win10 with the better scheduler if you really want, but it hasn't changed the trend so far) couldn't even the playing field enough to recommend an FX over an i3. And that's a chip on a stock cooler on a cheaper motherboard...can you get a passable experience on an AMD platform? Absolutely. But you'll spend more doing it and get worse results (even IF you're lucky with a nice overclocking chip).

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4550029

There's another link at the end with more frame time captures too:

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4161306

Edited by MercJ, 29 October 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#88 Verstaka

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:00 PM

Well the parts are ordered and ETA is between November 4th and 7th. Crossing my fingers that it is sooner rather than later. I went with a slight variation of the build I linked last page between some parts being unavailable for me to find and better options showing themselves.

https://pcpartpicker...Verstaka/saved/

#89 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:03 AM

Heh. That's the power supply I recommended. Johnny Guru says it's fine, and it's super cheap, so it'll be a good fit, even if it is a little less efficient.

Dat ram tho... you're going to have to order another stick sooner or later. It'll boot, sure, and run, and play games, but you're hamstringing your performance with single channel RAM.

#90 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:08 AM

View PostCatamount, on 30 October 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

Heh. That's the power supply I recommended. Johnny Guru says it's fine, and it's super cheap, so it'll be a good fit, even if it is a little less efficient.

Dat ram tho... you're going to have to order another stick sooner or later. It'll boot, sure, and run, and play games, but you're hamstringing your performance with single channel RAM.

Actually, on Sandy Bridge+ systems the difference between single and dual is negligible (seriously, reviewers have tried to measure the difference and failed). He could have gone for maybe a faster stick, though, and that would have helped. Either way, RAM is probably the cheapest and easiest upgrade down the road.

Overall, I don't think he could have done any better for the price. That's going to be a pretty nice upgrade for OP.

#91 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:51 AM

I know this is not perfect, but it would certainly do the job, assuming you can get OS (which you likely can't from your laptop, licences don't work that way) but assuming you can find another way, and assuming you can find a budget 1080p monitor keyboard etc......

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9J7nf7

The problem with soliciting advice on a pc build, is, you have to buy the day you ask lol, literally, good sales on individual items will be gone in 24 hours.

There are space issues in this tower, but with one hard drive it will be enough.

#92 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:07 AM

wut? 1600 has been fine forever, and 8gb is more then he will use any time soon, since the inception of ddr4 we are seeing 2666 be the norm in those builds, but really it's not needed, it will be nice when he gets another stick, but not really needed any time soon. on the flip side, I'm sure he could send it back and get 2x4 but that would hamstring future upgrades to a degree.

OP thats a great build for the price man :) good luck and have fun!!!!

#93 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:09 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4371090

http://www.tomshardw...s,4155.html#p14

http://www.tomshardw...m-faq,4154.html

Edited by Goose, 30 October 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#94 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:56 PM

Finally got a chance to test it. The minimum fps on the fx6300 is ridiculously low. (not sure how I did not notice) GPU utilization on a gtx760 of only 50ish percent. Returned the AMD parts and built a core I3-4170 for the same price! He is going to be much happier.

All previous posts have been edited.

I was wrong, You were right.

View PostVerstaka, on 29 October 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

Well the parts are ordered and ETA is between November 4th and 7th. Crossing my fingers that it is sooner rather than later. I went with a slight variation of the build I linked last page between some parts being unavailable for me to find and better options showing themselves.

https://pcpartpicker...Verstaka/saved/

Congrats! That should play it great on high! Your going to love it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users