Fun Mech Builds

25 replies to this topic

#1 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

Post up your fun mech builds. Looking for inspiration as I put the LCT-1E away for a bit.

I've been having tons of fun with the following, but not sure which one to settle on yet:

FS9 - Ember: 1 Gauss, 45 ammo

Adder: 2 UAC-2, 480ish ammo

Looking for others that are just fun to play. Don't have to be competitive.

#2 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:43 AM

I spend a lot of my time in mixed/semi-mixed builds. Non-optimal in MWO, but way more fun to run than one-button boats.

Current favourite is an AC/10, 3xML, SSRM2 Shadow Hawk. It takes the essence of a lore-correct mixed-build Shadow Hawk, but adapts it so that it works a bit better in MWO (=bigger AC on the shoulder, more ML's). The SSRM2 is there mainly because a Shadow Hawk doesn't look quite right without that head-mounted missile launcher. :P

Spoiler

Your Firestarter makes me want to try running some 35-tonner as a Gauss-armed "Pseudo-Hollander".

Edited by jss78, 22 October 2015 - 12:54 AM.

#3 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

Dino, try the Adder with the CUAC quirk arm, cuac10 with cool down module, tc1 and 3 CERSLAS. With anti-jam, projectile speed boost and cooldown this will burn through 3 tons of ammo no prob. Also works with left arm LB10x arm with 4 CERSLAS cause lbx has less heat for more laser vomit. Really fun builds to play.

#4 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:02 PM

CUAC20 "Boomslang"- using both ballistic arms to get the additional 5% cooldown. 55 points of damage on tap- pick a corner, lie in wait, give some poor schmuck a heart attack. :ph34r: One of the few lights that can make streakcrows run away instead of the other way around.

#5 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:09 PM

Try this All RangeZEU-9S. Overlapping firepower allow you to engage at any range.

12 shots of LRM15 for early game harassment as you plod to the frontline.
Once you have line of sign of the frontline, put the dual LL to use in combination with the remaining LRM.
If a small mech try to rush you, punish them with the triple medium pulse laser and LL.

#6 The Bill

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:47 AM

View Postjss78, on 22 October 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

Your Firestarter makes me want to try running some 35-tonner as a Gauss-armed "Pseudo-Hollander".

^^Seems like best solution for what to do with the no-energy Panther, TBH. Big gunz help a lot of mechs generate giggles.

Gausscada: Gauss = lulz, works on 3M and 3C. Then again, you could mount the AC20 on them too ;)

Boom Chicken: Raven 4X or Huginn with AC20 = trololololololololol.

2x UAC20 Warhawk is funny too, but possibly more effective than you're looking for.

#7 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

6 ac2 Mauler.

#8 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

Don't judge me:
Shadowcat: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f089d403426bfd5
Mist Lynx: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...97f2705730d4762

#9 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:25 AM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 23 October 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

That Lynx looks good. I'd go with ER LL and backup weapons but that's me....

#10 Lord Domino

• Pip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

I am partial to my UAC/20 Stormcrow with 7 tons of ammo and 4 x ER Small Lasers. Very un meta as far as builds go, but I routinely score 700+ damage and deal more damage then assault mechs. Seismic sensor mandatory on a close range brawler build like this.

#11 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

Found something that has piqued m interest:

Stock HBR Prime with 2 changes
ERMeds go to ERSmall
Streak 6 has 1.5 tons ammo

Keep the PPCs in the arms.

It's distinctly non-tryhard, but it's so dang fun. It is the most mechwarrior-like mech I have played so far. You have 4 different weapon groups. You almost always lose big weapons before you lose your mech, so you have the feeling of slogging through lots of fire and having continual degradation.

The combination of shooting a light with a PPC to disable its ECM and then hitting it with the streak pack is hilariously fun. I love it.

#12 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

Play the Spider 5V with 12 jumpjets and insane speed.

or

Go straight alpha crazy with these two builds

HBK-4P 8 MPLas
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...baae8b17b33e916

Banshee 3M 3 LPLas, 5 MPLas
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fc027770c22cc16

or

UAC 5 it up with the king crab, mauler, or banshee 3E

or

Take the Nova with dual ER PPC.

#13 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:05 PM

View Postsycocys, on 23 October 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

6 ac2 Mauler.

I second this. Not only is it fun to cause nonstop shake, it also has the potential to do great amounts of damage.

#14 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:58 AM

I like big guns and I cannot lie...you otha brothas can't deny...

I slapped a uAC20+4 tons of ammo and an ERPPC on a Summoner Prime. It's a Clan Victor 9S! It's teaching me that PPCs can be fun too :)

#15 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

Pounding Ebonjag; 3xUAC2 6xSML: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9b2b5a8a61fc21c

#16 ExplicitContent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSolaris Arena

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

ENF 4P is one of my favorite "fun" builds to run.

XL 295, AC20 w/3.5 tons amm, 4xML

Its one of my most dependable 300+ match score mechs and a blast to play. 105 kph and tanks pretty well despite IS XL. generally underestimated and ignored if you are hanging with assaults

#17 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:41 AM

Got bored with ECM Shadowcats and came up with this. LMFAO!! 6 cmg, 2 cmplas, csrm6a ( or cssrm6 w CAP) TC2. Hello Trollcat. Roll with the assault/ heavy and move in once enemy armour is compromised.

#18 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

My favorite 'definitely not competitive' builds:
Flamer Flame
This 'Mech is hilarious to play when the enemy turns out to be a Laserboat. Go in with flamers running hot and hammer them with your shotguns. Alpha Flamers until the heat build up gets dangerous, then chain fire for annoyance. If you find yourself with too much money an XL350 will allow you to even hunt the fast Mediums for all the salt-fueled enjoyment that will bring.

Urban Atlas
Pray ye heathens, for the glorious lord Urbie has send one of his mightiest disciples to teach all non-believers the path to greatness and enlightenment.
When almost half your weight consists of weapons, it's very easy to get caught in the moment. Don't forget your Sunday slasher smile.

Retrofit 5S
The Stalker 3F is arguably one of the few 'Mechs that has a really good stock loadout for this game with a highly flexible assortment of weapons to fit any approach and combat situation. This 5S emulates this while also bringing dual AMS, an STD300, only trading the SRM6s for a pair of streaks to make space for everything. A great all-range support 'Mech that doesn't need to be afraid to scratch up its paint a little.

BrawlHawk
My latest acquisition. The BrawlHawk takes the A variant to its logical extreme and appears to take quite a few people by surprise. Alternative build trades in one SSRM6 + a ton of Ammo for a dual ERPPC rocket punch.

#19 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:05 PM

i like weird builds they can be quite good. I run about half my mechs as custom builds and the other half as what works well.
i run the WVR-7D(L), MAL-MX90 and CPLT-K2 as fun builds.

WVR-7D(L)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...34b0423174c18d2 This works at multiple ranges
with 1x LBX10, 1x MG, 1xMPL, 1xSRM4. XL275, MASC III, 5x JJ, 1x AMS.

MAL-MX90
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d527206219e4691 This is a weird asymmetrical build that has the right side as 'long range' with 2x LBX10 and 1x LPL. The left side has 3x MG, 1x SL and 1x SRM4

CPLT-K2
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5ee59d2c57ca700 This one isnt so weird so much as just fun, people initially shoot at the missile pods as well, meaning you preserve your main damage that bit longer. 4x ML, 2x UAC5.

#20 Silvverr

• PipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

My favorite non-meta build is a Victor (9B?) with 2 AC2s an AC5, 2 ML, appropriate ammo for the AC's, and the biggest XL you can fit in there. Hilarious to watch people run in fear when those shells start landing. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users