So I Shot An Afk Cheetah Today...

30 replies to this topic

#1 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:19 AM

...I took the opportunity for some testing and aimed for the ST. And wow, despite I clearly the centert of the ST the arm took the damage. Other side the same.

No surprise this mech is so insanely durable with a clan XL. My Wolfies and Ravens feel so fragile compared to it.

Has anyone done some testing of the hitboxes? It seems to be off quite a bit

#2 Decadre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:21 AM

Yep, and they are up on Youtube. I don't think they found any problems.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:22 AM

McGral's hitbox testing looked like this:

#4 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:24 AM

McGral18 did lots of tests, and yes there is a hitbox problem, right at the pelvis of the mech. You can distinctly see lasers aimed at the groin of the mech misfire and go between the arm and the side torso missing it as they tested the edges of the hitboxes.

These tests are also in private matches which may or may not be a perfect reflection of in match play, just like the testing ground is not.

Although these were not what you'd call glaring errors, combined with lagshielding and other connectivity issues and hitreg to a point where many solid players aim, this is a big deal when pixels matter.

edit... What FupDup posted.

Edited by Kjudoon, 23 October 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#5 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostFupDup, on 23 October 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

McGral's hitbox testing looked like this:

stop reminding me of this :,(

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

View PostKira Onime, on 23 October 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

stop reminding me of this :,(

No.

View PostKjudoon, on 23 October 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

McGral18 did lots of tests, and yes there is a hitbox problem, right at the pelvis of the mech. You can distinctly see lasers aimed at the groin of the mech misfire and go between the arm and the side torso missing it as they tested the edges of the hitboxes.

These tests are also in private matches which may or may not be a perfect reflection of in match play, just like the testing ground is not.

Although these were not what you'd call glaring errors, combined with lagshielding and other connectivity issues and hitreg to a point where many solid players aim, this is a big deal when pixels matter.

What time does that happen at in the clip?

#7 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:28 AM

View PostBush Hopper, on 23 October 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

Has anyone done some testing of the hitboxes? It seems to be off quite a bit

Broken hitboxes is the reason why it's the Crutch Mech of the Month™.

#8 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:35 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 23 October 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

Broken hitboxes is the reason why it's the Crutch Mech of the Month™.

Proof plz.

#9 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

I scored a direct hit with an AC20 and 4 srm 6a yesterday and it walked off with a yellow torso

Happened numerous times throughout the night
Now that's probably more hitreg than hitboxes tbh but still

How you supposed to defend yourself as an assault, a hit like that should leave a smoking crater where a ACH is standing

Edited by cSand, 23 October 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#10 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

I spectated 1 Lght that was overheating and taking little damage.
Each and every time it was the same - the Light alphastriked with its Lasers and overheated.
The Pilot worked like crazy on the Controls bcs the perspective was shaking around wild while the Light overheated in a normal standing pose position.
After a very short "cooldown" the Mech woke up and immediately (simply jumped into that pose) had changed its pose into a weird warped one with the Torso twisted as far as possible aside/down and the arms elsewhre up like a Boxer behind his Arms as cover.
When the Mech "powered up" it took no time - he moved a 1/10th of a second after he "woke up" at full speed and shot the next Alpha for overheating again and doing that over and over and over taking very little to no damage (spectated this in the Caustic Caldera!).

Imho this is not a normal overheating behavior but an ex...planation why some Ligths take even less damage overheated than others.

Edited by Thorqemada, 23 October 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#11 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostcSand, on 23 October 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

Now that's probably more hitreg than hitboxes tbh but still

It's either the hitreg or the hitboxes, and every test done on the hitboxes has shown no issues.

Now on the other hand, just a couple days ago I had:
- A front & back cherry red cored KGC that took a full burn with 4 CERML to the rear CT from 490m away and didn't even flinch.
- An orange CT cored streak-MDD that was missing its LT. Took 4 CERML + Gauss all in its CT from 100m away at near point blank range. The lasers brought it to a cherry red CT. The gauss projectile sailed clean through the mech's geometry like it wasn't even there.

Hitreg has once again become terrible all around. Warping, lag spikes, etc. have been more prevalent in each match, and nearly every mech seems to not be taking damage correctly.

PGI needs to stop worrying about group tonnage restrictions and focus on their freaking servers, because crap like this happens literally after EVERY SINGLE PATCH.

#12 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:22 AM

Yes

I'm a pretty decent shot with SRMs and large AC cause I use them so much and have noticed that shots that clearly hit, that should fold a little mech in half, now are barely doing any damage

#13 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:24 AM

Me thinks some of you are using lights as a boogieman. Not saying they are working perfectly, but I am saying there might be other problems both with the game and with YOUR game that you refuse to attribute to anything but the light mech.

#14 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

Lights are "Magnifying Glasses" for some "MWO Problems".

#15 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 23 October 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Lights are "Magnifying Glasses" for some "MWO Problems".

Then complain about the problem, because it sounds like the cheetah is just a symptom of a greater problem, nerfing the cheetah wont really do much in the long run, just put off pgi curing the actual disease.

#16 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

They're out for CBills now, so it's much more likely PGI are willing to look at problems with the hitboxes now.

#17 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostcSand, on 23 October 2015 - 08:22 AM, said:

Yes

I'm a pretty decent shot with SRMs and large AC cause I use them so much and have noticed that shots that clearly hit, that should fold a little mech in half, now are barely doing any damage

Doesn't matter how good fo a shot you are with SRMS, the CoF is huge and i can tell you without seeing your game not all of those missiles hit CT, its impossible. The 20 yea sure, maybe 5-6 missiles on target with the 20 sure....

is hit reg an issue, sure is. But whats new?

Saying you should have killed a ACH with SRM's is a joke, SRMs are very bad and on something with small hit boxes you are better off just spreading lasers all over the mech...its the same effect as SRMs.

#18 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

The Cheetah is both a Magnifying Glass and a Problem ;)

#19 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

Don't need proof when experiential evidence exists in spades.  More than once I've unloaded on a shutdown cheetah and it turned yellow.  Had a friend in my cockpit that witnessed it once.  Everyone in my unit has similar stories and no one in my unit owns one because we all think they are cheesy.  More evidence is the number of times a cheetah is the last mech standing on a losing team.  And how many times do u have to hear about a cheetah tanking better than an assault. Its not my ping which is around 70 on NA, and I don't have near as much issues with other lights. Its the cheetah.

Edited by Coolant, 23 October 2015 - 11:50 AM.

#20 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 23 October 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

View PostFupDup, on 23 October 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

What time does that happen at in the clip?

Roughly 2:35, where I target THROUGH the thigh gap. Note rangefinder goes from ~64M to ~96M.

Magical convergence does it's thing, and the low mounted arms fire at either side of the legs.

Testing hitreg should also be feasible on the Test servers in Private Matches. Grab lots of hitscan weaponry in a Circle of Equals concerning the Cheetah.

Have the 22 attendees shoot each other with Flamers and Machine Guns (and avoid killing each other) to stress the server with calculations, start the Cheetah VS your choice of mech seconds afterwards.

Unstressed test (with plenty of bad aim, but dead Cheetah nonetheless):

Go to the opposite end of things and see if it makes a difference.

Edited by Mcgral18, 23 October 2015 - 11:50 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users