Calling the MPBT AFFS Community.

60 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Osis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

I really dont care about you other people with your bla bla BS talk this and that.

Yo, Davion, It is now time to get it together. We need to call together a meeting of the old units.

I actually got an email from the DRAAGUN yahoo group the other day lol, this is good though lets get the word out and set a date to organize a meeting. War is upon us. Lets get it together.

Also, my own unit needs recruits if anyone is looking for a stable of vets.

#2 Atomfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationBismarck North Dakota

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostAndrewOsis, on 16 June 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

I really dont care about you other people with your bla bla BS talk this and that.

Yo, Davion, It is now time to get it together. We need to call together a meeting of the old units.

I actually got an email from the DRAAGUN yahoo group the other day lol, this is good though lets get the word out and set a date to organize a meeting. War is upon us. Lets get it together.

Also, my own unit needs recruits if anyone is looking for a stable of vets.

I agree that we need to get our *** in gear, we have the Goon Confederation on one front and we have a well organized nation of dracs on the other, if we don't get ready now you might as well kiss the Federated Suns goodbye.

#3 GenWarhammer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationCT. USA

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

agreed

#4 Meneiupptus

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Agreed, which is why we've still got the AFFS COC thread going. Any communications would be better than zero... I hate to lose.

#5 Andrew Osis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Yeah I started that thread............. Point being it is too long and too much BS in there so lets use this one to setup a meeting of the units still loyal to the old guard.

#6 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

I would ask what you'd do or what your plan is for newer groups and communities, or would they be left blowing in the wind? Would they be subjugated just because they aren't part of one internet clique/group, when they may have equal qualifications or better but get snubbed due to not being in that "old guard."

In essence, how would you plan on keeping it fair without just grandfathering in the "old guard" at the cost of new players (to MW:O, but not to gaming nor battletech/mechwarrior,) to the group?

#7 Syro

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 60 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

In essence, how would you plan on keeping it fair without just grandfathering in the "old guard" at the cost of new players (to MW:O, but not to gaming nor battletech/mechwarrior,) to the group?

Good question. As someone who only had a chance to play MPBT 3025 for about 2 months, I am hoping to avoid being marginalized simply because i'm not part of the Old Guard. Whether I end up as an AFFC regular, or part of a unit in service to. If you are serious about making a go of this, there is going to be a long period of tracking down new, competent commanders, finding out which ones are already team players, which ones don't really care about the progress of the war. That means someone in the CoC is going ot have to play a LOT of random games and take notes, and gaining respect. One of the things i don't want to see is AFFC forces acting like Aliance PVP forces from WoW (any time anyone tried to ogranize, they got told to F off, and then horde would win).

Also, what will happen if a rival CoC arises? Crush them, or work with them? What happens if much of the desired CoC doesn't make it into the closed Beta? Do you recruite AFFC folks who do? Do you just ignore the closed beta? Will the CoC grow with the player base?

#8 Meneiupptus

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:19 AM

How about just a round table group of unit leaders... talking. It is simple. New or old who cares as long as there is discussion and compromise. When we get to game and the need arises then the Unit leaders can worry about a commander in chief.

As it stands right now... the worst possible thing we can do is nothing. Liao has two borders and we're one of them.

#9 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostMeneiupptus, on 19 June 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

How about just a round table group of unit leaders... talking. It is simple. New or old who cares as long as there is discussion and compromise. When we get to game and the need arises then the Unit leaders can worry about a commander in chief.

As it stands right now... the worst possible thing we can do is nothing. Liao has two borders and we're one of them.

A round table is a pretty good idea, although I have to wonder what happens when somebody with a large ego or sense of entitlement decides they deserve more say then everybody else. If you admit everybody into the round table regardless of any merit, you're bound to run into that situation. I guess the table could vote people out, but the downside to the congress/parliamentary system is that a lot of times you might have split loyalties and you'd end up with a voting gridlock.

#10 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

View PostVandal, on 19 June 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

A round table is a pretty good idea, although I have to wonder what happens when somebody with a large ego or sense of entitlement decides they deserve more say then everybody else. If you admit everybody into the round table regardless of any merit, you're bound to run into that situation. I guess the table could vote people out, but the downside to the congress/parliamentary system is that a lot of times you might have split loyalties and you'd end up with a voting gridlock.

It's quite preferable to having coded command structure for the House at this point.

Everything would have it's own set of pitfalls, but a round table would help ensure even new members could make their mark on the faction and have an equal say instead of having older community members walk in and demand allegiance. I would assume that the hope would be that the round table could discuss and work things out, and could avoid such a gridlock or a cult of personality.

To be clear, I know for one that I'm not letting a single individual from an "old guard" have say over something just because they feel they have a right to it. This is not to say they would not have valuable input, it would be folly to ignore what people have to say from any facet of the battletech universe. It's everyone's right that plays as Davion to have a say, and an equal one at that. Going into discussions with that in mind and forming strong bonds is what will prevail for Davion, not picking commanders or trying to get too strict with how forces are deployed/etc.

Less is more, in this case. Give people the freedom to join together and team work will win the day.

"You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways." - James Oliver Rigney Jr.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 19 June 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#11 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 19 June 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

It's quite preferable to having coded command structure for the House at this point.

Everything would have it's own set of pitfalls, but a round table would help ensure even new members could make their mark on the faction and have an equal say instead of having older community members walk in and demand allegiance. I would assume that the hope would be that the round table could discuss and work things out, and could avoid such a gridlock or a cult of personality.

Very good points, though I do still have to say that I question the value of entirely free-admittance to any round-table sort of structure. The Federated Suns is, whether by poorly written fluff or developer bias, the designated 'GOOD GUY' faction, and therefore you'll be swamped with the most players. You'll definitely see applications by the leaders of smaller player run units, maybe some with only 5 players or less, and I think you can understand my hesitation when you think about how difficult it will be to have any discussion at all over VOIP when your channel is clogged by 50 something people, all squawking in unison, all trying to get a word in edgewise. I think it would be prudent to have some sort of screening system for round table applicants, as long as it is one that is agreed upon by all the members of the group.

Edited by Vandal, 19 June 2012 - 06:40 AM.

#12 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostVandal, on 19 June 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

Very good points, though I do still have to say that I question the value of entirely free-admittance to any round-table sort of structure. The Federated Suns is, whether by poorly written fluff or developer bias, the designated 'GOOD GUY' faction, and therefore you'll be swamped with the most players. You'll definitely see applications by the leaders of smaller player run units, maybe some with only 5 players or less, and I think you can understand my hesitation when you think about how difficult it will be to have any discussion at all over VOIP when your channel is clogged by 50 something people, all squawking in unison, all trying to get a word in edgewise. I think it would be prudent to have some sort of screening system for round table applicants, as long as it is one that is agreed upon by all the members of the group.

Would be one of the natural hurdles that any type of House structure would have. Even if the group doesn't represent the entire faction (which is understandable given the projected size,) you'd still have a good base of units that want to work together. You build from there, seeing if others are interested, and you keep the olive branch outstretched. It would be for those in the round table, who wish to participate, to decide on how they'd handle admittance and how to deal with unsavory or immature individual/unit/etc.

The 1st Blackburn's Raiders currently have no interest in joining said round table (if that's what House Davion wants,) for two reasons. First being we've decided to be a mercenary unit for fluff and ease of control use (since you can't make/control units in a faction,) and second... other then having a few individuals interested being an incredible turn off, we're just making friends as we go and aren't interested in trying to wrangle the entire House Davion, nor do we think it's extremely necessary.

This doesn't mean we don't care about House Davion, as it's our favored House and had units worked differently at MW:O launch, we'd be Davion men. As such, I and a few others I know will still be offering our insight and opinions in order to help keep things even, and we hope for the best for all of House Davion. (Steiners are loosers! You can keep Katrina! :blink:)

Edited by Jack Gallows, 19 June 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#13 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 19 June 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

Would be one of the natural hurdles that any type of House structure would have. Even if the group doesn't represent the entire faction (which is understandable given the projected size,) you'd still have a good base of units that want to work together. You build from there, seeing if others are interested, and you keep the olive branch outstretched.

It would be for those in the round table, who wish to participate, to decide on how they'd handle admittance and how to deal with unsavory or immature individual/unit/etc.

Actually, the despotic tyrant system sort of avoids that problem. The 'Goonie' system, if you will. When other alliances were bogged down by discussion and voting that took ages to get resolved, our Dark Lord and his Shadowy Cabal were able to make snap judgments that allowed us to mobilize faster then the enemy and outmaneuver them. The communistic 'ONE LEADER, ONE GOAL', coupled with unusually strong organization is probably why Goons were able to dominate EVE at all when facing down alliances that had both larger, and more veteran playerbases.

Of course, this system only works if you have a leader that is excellent at their work, like we do.

(Yes, I am ignoring all the times we flubbed fleet ops because the ops leader was drunk, shut up!)

Edited by Vandal, 19 June 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#14 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

View PostVandal, on 19 June 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

Actually, the despotic tyrant system sort of avoids that problem. The 'Goonie' system, if you will. When other alliances were bogged down by discussion and voting that took ages to get resolved, our Dark Lord and his Shadowy Cabal were able to make snap judgments that allowed us to mobilize faster then the enemy and outmaneuver them. The communistic 'ONE LEADER, ONE GOAL', coupled with unusually strong organization is probably why Goons were able to dominate EVE at all when facing down alliances that had both larger, and more veteran playerbases.

Of course, this system only works if you have a leader that is excellent at their work, like we do.

(Yes, I am ignoring all the times we flubbed fleet ops because the ops leader was drunk, shut up!)

Until the playerbase overthrows said despot. Personal opinion, but I'm not letting a dbag lead me even if he does get results in a video game. :blink:

(Flashes pretty colors at Vandal and invades St. Ives.)

#15 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 19 June 2012 - 07:09 AM, said:

Until the playerbase overthrows said despot. Personal opinion, but I'm not letting a dbag lead me even if he does get results in a video game. :blink:

(Flashes pretty colors at Vandal and invades St. Ives.)

Noooooo, not my St. Ives!
Hahah yeah that's the other problem too, it only works if people trust in said despotic tyrant.
Really I just hope to see some organization in the Federated Suns because pretty much every faction is already sowing the seeds of some great organization. I think organization adds a lot to the game and I'd like to see some high level play and rivalries get started because people are working to their fullest.

No matter which way the game turns out, if at the end of the day, you are able to tell a story about that time you faced down so and so alliance and came out on top, or about how you held the line during the siege of Whereversville, USA, I think that justifies the existence of the faction wide organization.

Edited by Vandal, 19 June 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#16 Syro

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

A round table is a great idea for handling general in-house strateigic issues, sharing information about encountered units, etc. Similar round tabless for lance commanders might be good offshoots - what kind of scouting tactics are working against DCMS? What common issues are we seeing in Fure Support- that kind of thing.

What about inter-house politics? Are we even going to bother with setting up short-lived aliances and cease fires, say with FRR, to take a chunnk out of DCMS? Or are we just going to fight a war on all fronts? I think we still need an individual to set that course.

#17 Henric Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 109 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationYork II

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

Lol. Just to throw a monkey wrench into your plans... beware the Clans... 1yr (hopefully) and counting down...

(muahahahaha) :lol:

#18 Syro

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

I get that the clans are coming (hopefully). So using this time now to solidify our tactics, our get to know our units, and our rival units, will help us should the clans make their apearance. Most of us will likely be fighting with anti-clan tactics simnply out of force of habbit by the time they arrive. And when they do, all factions know it will be time to stop infighting (well, except maybe for for Liao...crazy *******). So, it wil still be good to have someone coordinating thoe sorts of relationships. Just thoughts.

Now, to jump topics briefly, while I'm hoping that we can hand the clans their first defeat well before tycross, I really hope they keep some of the cannonical battles. I'd /love/ to get involved on Luthien.

#19 Zerstorer Stallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

It seems an easy solution might be set a number of "seats" at the table. Lets say 9 for the heck of it. The 9 seats would be assigned to units who have the most ACTIVE members. These are the people who are going to show up anyway. Out of those 9 take an old fasion vote and make that player the "leader" A good leader will do the rest, he'll listen to the other 8, if not let them call a vote to push him out and pick a new "leader". Something along this line might be a good starting point. If the system gets over ran with bad leaders and groups who might hold themselves higher than others, I'd say it would be a good guess the Mercs that House Davion is going to need will find other employment. Leadership is a responsibility, not privilage.
I will say though, if ANYONE thinks for a hot second that because they played a game 5, 10 or 20 years ago, that makes them better suited for MWO, your delusional. This game will stand on its own and so will the players and House Davion. Telling, saying, or otherwise promoting some sort of privilage based on another experience of the mechwarrior/battletech universe will only split us. Take a note, or don't, either way what will be will be.

#20 Supremacist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 19 June 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

I would ask what you'd do or what your plan is for newer groups and communities, or would they be left blowing in the wind? Would they be subjugated just because they aren't part of one internet clique/group, when they may have equal qualifications or better but get snubbed due to not being in that "old guard."

View PostZerstorer Stallin, on 20 June 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

I will say though, if ANYONE thinks for a hot second that because they played a game 5, 10 or 20 years ago, that makes them better suited for MWO, your delusional. .

As of right now, the only group we know of that for sure wont be a part of the AFFS CoC is your unit.

Edited by Supremacist, 20 June 2012 - 10:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users