We're going to have to kill Hawken...before it kills us!

51 replies to this topic

#1 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Argh!

http://www.destructo...oo-229070.phtml

They're stealing our playbook, I think we need to take our mechs and meet them on neutral ground (say...MW:Tactical Command? Apparently they're not using it :huh: ).

Let's settle this once and for all, before my wallet dies (again).

#2 Manthony Higgs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, Washington, USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

How do two Joysticks work? That doesn't even make sense.

#3 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostManthony Higgs, on 09 July 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

How do two Joysticks work?

Awesomely.

#4 Gishank

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hawken isn't too fascinating to be honest, it seems like one of those MMO's that gets all the money and has the 'flash' yet will flop due to no solid gameplay mechanic. /2cents.

#5 Stunner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostManthony Higgs, on 09 July 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

How do two Joysticks work? That doesn't even make sense.

There used to be an old arcade game that used mechs that used two joysticks. I used to enjoy playing it even though it was faster paced than mechwarrior.

I think both sticks forward were not just forward but with afterburner. It took some time getting used to the controls but a fast paced game like hawken would probably benefit from a two joystick controller.

thank goodness I'd rather play battle tech with my mouse and keyboard.

#6 Okami Ryu

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

they are two different beasts entirely and i do not see any problems with playing both

#7 Faenwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 671 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

This Joystick news is so old and has circulated in the forusm for so long.
Some people liek the Artemsi better, some liek the Mek Fu better. Most don't like them both.
As do I.

besides of that: MWO is a tactical simulation. Hawken is just another FPS but with big *** battle suits. i don't see one of the mstealing many players from the other.

#8 Wyr

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTransylvania, Romania

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostFaenwulf, on 09 July 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

besides of that: MWO is a tactical simulation. Hawken is just another FPS but with big *** battle suits. i don't see one of the mstealing many players from the other.

Exactly. This is like comparing GTA to Forza based on the fact that both have cars in them.

#9 MuffinTop

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hawken is Dane Cook or Carlos Mencia and MechWarrior Online is Denis Leary. Go from there folks!

#10 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationCanadia's Royal Reservation

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Looks better, but personally I don't use joystiq's.

#11 00seven

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostMuffinTop, on 09 July 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Hawken is Dane Cook or Carlos Mencia and MechWarrior Online is Denis Leary. Go from there folks!

very good...or George Carlin...with a big farkin gun.

#12 Alkuam

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostStunner, on 09 July 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

There used to be an old arcade game that used mechs that used two joysticks. I used to enjoy playing it even though it was faster paced than mechwarrior.

I think both sticks forward were not just forward but with afterburner. It took some time getting used to the controls but a fast paced game like hawken would probably benefit from a two joystick controller.

I think the game was called "Virtual On"

#13 Kristakis

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

I think the games are different enough that there'll be peeps that stay in one or the other and others, like me, that'll try both. I play EVE Online and SWTOR space combat - they are both spaceship games but they play differently. I'm curious about this double joystick thing mainly because it has a keyboard and I am interested to see how it works with MWO too. At least to see how it compares to the Razer thing anyway.

#14 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

okay I have no problem figuring out the dual joysticks... but... with dual joysticks what exactly do you propose to use the control console in the middle with? >.>

Posted Image

on a related note, how exactly do you imbed a video in here? :D

Edited by Damion Sparhawk, 12 July 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#15 Aero Slasher

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostStunner, on 09 July 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

your thinking of virtual-on

#16 Agent KI7KO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

Here's how it usually works:

Two games start development.
These two games have something in common in a landscape barren of their common premise (Multiplayer First Person Giant Robots).
Fans of these games notice similarities.
Fans start feeling threatened that someone else has the audacity to copy their chosen franchise.
Cue fans of both sides denouncing each other over little things like "generic run and gun" or "no skill laserboats", despite never having the opportunity to try both.

Who loses? Fans of the PC Multiplayer Giant Robots genre.

Edited by Afoxi, 09 July 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#17 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Not understanding all the Hawken hate. It looks like a fun game, and the art direction and graphics is pretty far ahead of MWO so far. It looks like a combination of tactical shooters, and armored core with some respect for inertia. It doesn't interest me like MWO, but from the perspective a gamer new to the mech scene, Hawken does look more enticing.

Edited by Zakatak, 12 July 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#18 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostMuffinTop, on 09 July 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

MWO is the Bill Hicks of mech combat.

Enough said

#19 Kotsuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

View PostZakatak, on 09 July 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Not understanding all the Hawken hate. It looks like a fun game, and the art direction and graphics is pretty far ahead of MWO so far. It looks like a combination of tactical shooters, and armored core with some respect for inertia. It doesn't interest me like MWO, but from the perspective a gamer new to the mech seen, Hawken does look more enticing.

I agree here - to the younger generation of gamers there seems to be more appeal in games that are defined by instant gratification and minimal investment: fast paced action that is 'pick up and play' - a design philosophy which has clearly influenced the creation of Hawken . By definition, Mechwarrior is far from this - it takes time to understand your 'mech - time to understand the battlefield: 'mech warfare is deliberate and calculated and not inherently accessible from the get go. That is to say, we aren't going to be attracting the tens of millions CoD does, but then again, who wants trash in the MWO community? B)

Edited by Kotsuno, 10 July 2012 - 03:30 AM.

#20 Scouten

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

honestly hawken just looks like your average FPS with a mech cockpit overlay i like the slow turning mechs of MWO more than the speedy little kill machines of hawken. fast moving agile mechs work better in anime not so much in gameplay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users