Mech customization NEEDS to be limited

344 replies to this topic

#1 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

One of the biggest problems with previous Battle tech games was the "universal customization" allowance. Meaing everyone thought just because they salvaged or puchased it, it was going to fit on their mech, even tho common sense said no. Like a PPC on Jenner.........not gonna happen, or at least should not. However if you have the tonnage or willing to sacrifice things, you could make it happen, and this brought on the light - medium mechs with 12-18 small pulse lasers circle straffing ppl (which has been addressed in this game).

However playing the IS WAS supposed to be hard, they were no Omni mechs like the clans, thus the IS had Variants of their mechs and this is what we need to stick to also...the variant models. Or at the least limit the amount of a specific type of weapon can be put on an IS mech.

An Atlas with 4 large pulse lasers would make no sense, as there is already a mech that has that config (Rifleman IIC) and the Atlas role if close and personal with beefy armor, or would you put 3 ER PPC on an Atlas, when the Awesome already has that config?

To be true to the table top game you also have to be true to the varaints and each mechs limitations, as each mech was built to fit a role with certain needs in mind.

The Omi mech (clan mechs and later the IS introduced their versions) Is the only mech capable of taking and swapping various weapson and heatsinks without penalty...........we should keep it like that. My 2 cents...FLAME ON!

#2 Paralax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNYC, The City that Never sleeps

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

... seriously? REAL Betch was about customization..... Omin just lets pod be loaded that have proved weapon sets

Have you seen my spider with maxxed engine and 24 Micro lasers?

Edited by Paralax, 09 July 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#3 Hawkeye 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

WOAH

De'ja vu here...

Alright it passed.

"Flame on" is starting to become a bad catch-phrase around here. There are hardpoints bro, so restrictions are there. The devs had a whole thing on "role warfare" and have been very clear on this. Thanks for your input.

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 09 July 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#4 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostHawkeye 72, on 09 July 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

WOAH

De'ja vu here...

Alright it passed.

"Flame on" is starting to become a bad catch-phrase around here. There are hardpoints bro, so restrictions are there. The devs had a whole thing on "role warfare" and have been very clear on this. Thanks for your input.

Aye, hard point are fine, but still does not prevent "unreasonable" mech configs..

#5 Paralax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

No Hard points wont but Factors like weight, and heat do

#6 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

View PostWolv e, on 09 July 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Aye, hard point are fine, but still does not prevent "unreasonable" mech configs..

yes, lets prevent people from using their minds as weapons and creating these obsurd setups no one else would think about because they took the tame and had the wits to come up with it!, punish the creative! NO FUN!

#7 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationArcadia

View PostWolv e, on 09 July 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

True, but this game is under the watchful eye of Inouye man and his gang of hardy designers

When August 7th rolls around, don't hold your breath for those "unreasonable" configs. No doubt they are being nerfed away :D

#8 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostSkadi, on 09 July 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

yes, lets prevent people from using their minds as weapons and creating these obsurd setups no one else would think about because they took the tame and had the wits to come up with it!, punish the creative! NO FUN!

We should team up against everything that requires innovation!

#9 Saren21

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

I am kinda confused here...

#10 Paralax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostWolv e, on 09 July 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

One of the biggest problems with previous Battle tech games was the "universal customization" allowance. Meaing everyone thought just because they salvaged or puchased it, it was going to fit on their mech, even tho common sense said no. Like a PPC on Jenner.........not gonna happen, or at least should not. However if you have the tonnage or willing to sacrifice things, you could make it happen, and this brought on the light - medium mechs with 12-18 small pulse lasers circle straffing ppl (which has been addressed in this game).

However playing the IS WAS supposed to be hard, they were no Omni mechs like the clans, thus the IS had Variants of their mechs and this is what we need to stick to also...the variant models. Or at the least limit the amount of a specific type of weapon can be put on an IS mech.

An Atlas with 4 large pulse lasers would make no sense, as there is already a mech that has that config (Rifleman IIC) and the Atlas role if close and personal with beefy armor, or would you put 3 ER PPC on an Atlas, when the Awesome already has that config?

To be true to the table top game you also have to be true to the varaints and each mechs limitations, as each mech was built to fit a role with certain needs in mind.

The Omi mech (clan mechs and later the IS introduced their versions) Is the only mech capable of taking and swapping various weapson and heatsinks without penalty...........we should keep it like that. My 2 cents...FLAME ON!

Clearly a troll

#11 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Sorry, but with hardpoints, I will be using the full extent of my creativity to make my mech not only combat efficient but unique in its own way.

#12 Skadi

• 4,268 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostTeam Leader, on 09 July 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

We should team up against everything that requires innovation!

Yes, i think the devs should make it where we can only use the weapons that come standard with the stock! no mechlab, you just buy a varient of the mech for its weapons, this should eliminate all innovation and unfair customization! :D

#13 Winters Flight

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 64 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Actually, a PPC on a light mech is cannon.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Panther

Obviously, there are some trades in weight and speed to mount such a large weapon on a small Mech, but they make excellent scout hunters and cheap direct fire support.

Edited by Winters Flight, 09 July 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#14 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Let me ask you this, WHY did we all, for lack of a better phrase, fall in love wiht Battletech tabletop game? We had pre-made mech sheets with their variaints to choose from and played them. It was FUN. It was challenging!! And if you used the right tactics, you won....

What I would like to see prevented is a "all purpose build" similiar to other games where you take a class and create a build and it beats all. This game is about strategy, using your surroundings, playing cat and ouse and above all have fun..........I do not think by allowing the "if it fits and you have the tonnage" it can be used scenario, because then why bother having various types of 55 ton mechs or even 100 tonners....why not just give the players 1 chasis from each tonnage and make their own mechs......I understand most arguements, but this is Battletech, We have mechs already made with variants and given Battletech HISTORY/LORE the reason WHY that specific mech does not have a ppc or an AC10 or whatever you wanted to stick on it.....

If the Devs decide to allow "if it fits and you have the tonnage" rule then I say just remove all mechs from the game and give us basic empty chassis and design your own mech.....................

#15 Skadi

• 4,268 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostWolv e, on 09 July 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Let me ask you this, WHY did we all, for lack of a better phrase, fall in love wiht Battletech tabletop game? We had pre-made mech sheets with their variaints to choose from and played them. It was FUN. It was challenging!! And if you used the right tactics, you won....

What I would like to see prevented is a "all purpose build" similiar to other games where you take a class and create a build and it beats all. This game is about strategy, using your surroundings, playing cat and ouse and above all have fun..........I do not think by allowing the "if it fits and you have the tonnage" it can be used scenario, because then why bother having various types of 55 ton mechs or even 100 tonners....why not just give the players 1 chasis from each tonnage and make their own mechs......I understand most arguements, but this is Battletech, We have mechs already made with variants and given Battletech HISTORY/LORE the reason WHY that specific mech does not have a ppc or an AC10 or whatever you wanted to stick on it.....

If the Devs decide to allow "if it fits and you have the tonnage" rule then I say just remove all mechs from the game and give us basic empty chassis and design your own mech.....................

oh god not sure if serious, customization is good, but build your own mech from the ground up...
Posted Image
Dear god no.

#16 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostSkadi, on 09 July 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

oh god not sure if serious, customization is good, but build your own mech from the ground up...
Posted Image
Dear god no.

EXACTLY my point :D

#17 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

if there was limited customization it would turn into another mwll or world of tanks everybody has the same **** BOOOORING!!!!!!!!

#18 Skadi

• 4,268 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostWolv e, on 09 July 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

EXACTLY my point :D

no not realy, using the hardpoint system NOTHING like that would ever happen, but they let us build a mech from the ground up how ever the hell we want, it will, you have a horrible idea of how mechlabs work.
(let me be more specific, if i could build my own catapult, ide replace the 2 energy hardpoint cannons with balistic hardpoints and place lontoms on it for stupidity, nothing like that should happen ever, hardpoints prevent insanly stupid **** like what i just said)

Edited by Skadi, 09 July 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#19 Wolfclaw

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,510 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSpring, Texas

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostWolv e, on 09 July 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

Hey, you see that white box in the top right with the little glass thing that Sherlock Holmes uses? Yeah, its totally not there for any special purpose.

#20 bLitzLRC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSunset Beach, NC

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

As others have said, the starting IS tech limits hardpoints. Following the timeline, omnitech will come with the arrival of the clans. That will be as exciting as Aug 7 and I can't wait to see what these MW dedicated devs do with it. It's like golf. When it rains, it rains on everybody, challenging each. Will I go with a missleboat or develop a mech that jumps sideways and kills? The idea that ppl will make insane mech variants is not so much a question as how able are you to make the best of what is given you.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users