857 replies to this topic

#81 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

This looks good, Hayden. I don't remember, is the 3rd Amphigean LAG supposed to be a merc group, or Kurita standard? The reason I ask is because many merc groups use their own uniforms, ranks, and awards.

#82 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hayden this 3LAG stuff looks fantastic.

#83 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

View Postlahyenne, on 19 December 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

Hayden this 3LAG stuff looks fantastic.

Thank you, sir!

View PostKay Wolf, on 19 December 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

This looks good, Hayden. I don't remember, is the 3rd Amphigean LAG supposed to be a merc group, or Kurita standard? The reason I ask is because many merc groups use their own uniforms, ranks, and awards.

Well, here's the deal... The Amphigean LAG started out in canon as a kind of mercenary unit that was founded by a Kuritan agricultural company as a way to supplement their income, and were basically in permanent service to house Kurta, given their parent-company's fixed location in Kuritan space. At some point in the canon, they were retconned/otherwise converted to a house unit for the DCMS.

What I am shooting for is a reflection of this ambiguous status... On one hand, I would like to create a Kuritan House Unit (but we know little about how house units will operate at this point). On the other hand, in the early canon the Amphigean LAG is much more mercenary, but still very Kuritan in flavor, given the fact that they're run by a company in the DC...

So, depending on how house units work (I.E. if I can "run" one as I would a merc company) then I would seek to do that. But if the house system is fairly rigid, then I am very tempted to start a merc force. This particular piece reflects what I would go for if the unit was a merc formation: strong Kuritan flavor, lots of borrowed elements, but not totally identical (the rank structure, for example, is quite streamlined with what I've written up here). Anyway, this is still percolating, but we'll see where it goes! :)

EDIT: The 3rd is also non-canon. The 1st, 2nd, 5th, and later 7th (formed from 2 and 5 leftovers after the clan invasion) are the only canonical units of the ALAG that I am aware of.

Edited by Hayden, 19 December 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#84 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Well then, in that case, it looks fantastic. I never knew that about 3LAG, so thank you for squaring me away. :)

#85 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hmm. If the devs were to give us a hint at what faction icon sizes "might" be, we could probably generate a very large amount of heraldry for them...

#86 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

View PostS3dition, on 19 December 2011 - 05:42 PM, said:

Hmm. If the devs were to give us a hint at what faction icon sizes "might" be, we could probably generate a very large amount of heraldry for them...

Would be nice, we'll just have to wait and see.

Edit, that said, I think it would be smaller than the 500x500 pixel standard I've been using. 32x32? 64x64? Probably something around this size.

Edited by Hayden, 19 December 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#87 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:28 AM

I had the idea of recoloring a uniform for us too, working on it as we speak (well, that and awards/ribbons, signitures some members, and mech repaints... I'm busy :D). What would you think of me using the same format that you used, that way we can start a "book" of various units? :)

#88 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:22 AM

View PostDihm, on 20 December 2011 - 06:28 AM, said:

I had the idea of recoloring a uniform for us too, working on it as we speak (well, that and awards/ribbons, signitures some members, and mech repaints... I'm busy :D). What would you think of me using the same format that you used, that way we can start a "book" of various units? :)

I actually think that's a pretty exciting prospect. Let me know if you need anything to do this.

#89 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

Hmmm, I think the main thing I need is the font you used, everything else I should be able to size from that image :)

#90 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

View PostDihm, on 20 December 2011 - 09:18 AM, said:

Hmmm, I think the main thing I need is the font you used, everything else I should be able to size from that image :)

Well, the original image is quite a bit larger, but if you need info on that you could always ask me later. The font I used for the header is called "Battletech Oldstyle" (cannot recall where I found it...) the font used on the body is called Century Gothic, and is pretty common.

#91 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

I should probably create an Erlam's Irregulars insignia at some points. Love what you guys have made, very... inspirational. :)

#92 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hey Hayden!

Fan of your work with insignias and reskins. Was wondering if you would do Clan Smoke Jaguar, Beta Galaxy (The Mistweavers) and specifically the 2nd Jaguar Guards.

Cheers for all of your efforts thus far!

Mad

#93 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

View PostMarauder3D, on 21 December 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

Hey Hayden!

Fan of your work with insignias and reskins. Was wondering if you would do Clan Smoke Jaguar, Beta Galaxy (The Mistweavers) and specifically the 2nd Jaguar Guards.

Cheers for all of your efforts thus far!

Mad

I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: After a cursory glance of my personal files, sarna, and Cammo Specs online I can't find anything on insignia for the Beta Galaxy or the 2nd Jag Guards. Do you have any information on these at all? Even a text description?

Edited by Hayden, 21 December 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#94 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

Ok, First up tonight (This may be it for tonight, but I could do more, we'll see how things progress).

EDIT: Yeah, I added noses :D

Clan Smoke Jaguar Default.
Posted Image
Clan Smoke Jaguar Variant
Posted Image
EDIT: Smoke Jaguar's Alpha Galaxy. Liberties taken. I wanted to "roundelize" it, but I also wanted to preserve the unique feel on this one that only a gradient can give. Something of a compromise.
Posted Image

EDIT: Smoke Jaguar's Delta Galaxy.
Posted Image
Just gonna sneak this in here...
Posted Image
Thanks for viewing!

Edited by Hayden, 30 December 2011 - 05:12 AM.

#95 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:17 AM

Does this mean you've broken your "off until the new year" moratorium on doing Unit insignias? ;)

Edited by Dihm, 22 December 2011 - 05:17 AM.

#96 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hehe... I think it just means his curiosity overrides his desire to take a break, LOL

#97 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for putting up some CSJ images Hayden! Check your messages and I'll get back to you!

Cheers,

Mad

#98 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 22 December 2011 - 06:34 AM, said:

Hehe... I think it just means his curiosity overrides his desire to take a break, LOL

Shhhh! I'm trying to get him to break down and do some custom insignias. ;)

#99 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

View PostDihm, on 22 December 2011 - 05:17 AM, said:

Does this mean you've broken your "off until the new year" moratorium on doing Unit insignias? ;)

Mmmmmmmmm..... <_<

View PostKay Wolf, on 22 December 2011 - 06:34 AM, said:

Pretty much this! But I think I'm inching toward making things regularly again, last night felt pretty good.

View PostMarauder3D, on 22 December 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

Thanks for putting up some CSJ images Hayden! Check your messages and I'll get back to you!

Cheers,

Mad

Glad you like!

#100 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

Well, let me know if you get the itch to do some custom work. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users