#61 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

View PostHayden, on 10 December 2011 - 04:20 AM, said:

Alright, I'll try to explain my thought process on these. I'll admit most of the insignia that I make are based off designs dating from the 1980s. My reasoning for this is that I feel a lot of the modern insignia have much less of a military feel, or that they look more like one would expect nose art to look. Consider the Regulan Hussars, which went from a lightning bolt on a field of blue with a yellow frame to some kind of Death-floating-on-a-cloud image.

This is the new one off the Sarna wiki:
Posted Image
And this is mine, based off the old version:
Posted Image
Now, I feel that the modern one looks like nose art, than say, a roundel. And that's really what I'm trying to go for with these: something that feels more akin to a roundel on an aircraft. However, some of the newer images are so convoluted that it's hard to derive something simple from that and still remain canonical (which is a big concern). But with many of the older insignia they are simple and seem closer in their design to what I have in mind to make.

I have a much easier time envisioning a technician or mechwarrior wearing the old Regulan Hussars insignia as a patch than the new one. It's just a matter of one kind of design feeling professional and military, and another going for a "cool" factor that I just don't feel.

[EDIT: This is also why I try to keep away from gradients and try to use clean lines: I've never seen a roundel with gradients.]

i think when they were originally made in the 80s they are more akin to the old European war flags, simple with blocks of colour so its easier for other armies to recognize than complicated images and simple colourful blocks standout more

When remaking insignia's you could try and figure out what all the components of the image mean and go from there, because it'll still be canon because your taking the meaning of it and re-creating it, like how the devs are redesigning the mechs the initial idea is still there but modernized and taken one step forward

#62 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

View PostNitsua Asuka, on 10 December 2011 - 07:20 AM, said:

i think when they were originally made in the 80s they are more akin to the old European war flags, simple with blocks of colour so its easier for other armies to recognize than complicated images and simple colourful blocks standout more

When remaking insignia's you could try and figure out what all the components of the image mean and go from there, because it'll still be canon because your taking the meaning of it and re-creating it, like how the devs are redesigning the mechs the initial idea is still there but modernized and taken one step forward

First I think we need to get away from the "european" label, because they weren't the only ones waving bright flags with crisp clean designs that were easy to see from a distance. It makes things overly divisive, and does not really contribute to the argument.

Certainly insignia exist for esprit de corps, and it is important that they are distinct and they have to look good. But many modern BT designs take this to an extreme. These are war machines, they're going to be shot at, damaged, etc. It therefore seems very unlikely that the successor states (let alone the periphery) would spend the money to paint highly ornate symbols onto something that is ultimately disposable or that could be severely damaged (thus necessitating repainting in an extravagant manner all over again).

So I feel that brings us to 21st century modernization, which is essentially gray scale insignia with very simple patterns, and even more radical departure. And as realistic as that may be, it's also kind of... drab.

So, I guess my question is, what would you have me do?

#63 Steadfast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 767 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

View PostNitsua Asuka, on 10 December 2011 - 07:20 AM, said:

Actually he does that. And I like that "simple" look. Its rather hard to achieve actually.
Take care all.

#64 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:30 AM

EDIT: Ok, noticed a massive error with the Deneb Light Cavalry images I posted earlier. That has been corrected. Also, I forgot the 15th DLC, so I'm changing the lineup a bit. So, for this post we have the massive Deneb Light Cavalry, the mighty 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry, and Chisholm's Raiders! All Davion (sorry if anyone feels neglected).

Deneb Light Cavalry: All cannonical except for the 3rd and 5th, which are conjectural. 2011-12-11.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry, 2011-12-10
Posted Image
Chisholm's Raiders, Old - Per succession wars.
Posted Image
More to come soon! Thanks for watching!

Edited by Hayden, 11 December 2011 - 02:01 AM.

#65 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:35 AM

Alright, I was gonna try to do 20 insignia tonight, but woe. I was simply not up to the task. Only did 18.

First up: New Ivaarsen Chasseurs set. All cononical, all done 2011-12-11.
Posted Image
1st NIC.
Posted Image
2nd NIC
Posted Image
Next up is another Davion unit, the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers. 2011-12-11
Posted Image
...followed by a slew of mercenaries. Lindon's Company, the 3rd Recon, and the mercenaries-turned-capellans: the 4th Tau Ceti Rangers (Old, old logo)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
EDIT: Kerr's Intruders (formerly part of the Chesterton Reserves), wiped out in the 4th Succession War. 2011-12-11
Posted Image
EDIT: (HIGHLY CONJECTURAL) Sarna March Militia. I have no idea what this should look like. The circle and star come from the former Sarna Reserves (I did this earlier). The red and yellow stripes come from the Capellan Dragoons, a former Davion unit. Anyway, just a best guess. Given the short life of the Sarna March, I doubt we'll ever really know.
Posted Image

EDIT: Can't keep away. This idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while, so I decided to finally get it out there. The Outworlds alliance has always been the victim of rather unfortunate imagery when it comes to their national symbol. The first one that I am aware of was literally a couple planets stacked next to a buck rogers space ship. Not really inspirational. Later, they had an awesome concept: some kind of thing wrapping around star (I always took it as a kind of "mankind exerting domination over the cosmos"). It was pretty good, except... it was so damn complex. I mean, if someone asked you to draw it do you really think you could pull it off with any degree of accuracy? I know I couldn't. So, I developed this: the concept is almost identical, it has balance and symmetry, and best of all it's straight forward and easy to remember. I'll probably get in some trouble for this one, but meh... without further delay:
Posted Image

That's it for tonight's mega update. Hope you all have a good day!

Edited by Hayden, 11 December 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#66 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:17 AM

View PostHayden, on 10 December 2011 - 04:20 AM, said:

Now, I feel that the modern one looks like nose art, than say, a roundel. And that's really what I'm trying to go for with these: something that feels more akin to a roundel on an aircraft. However, some of the newer images are so convoluted that it's hard to derive something simple from that and still remain canonical (which is a big concern). But with many of the older insignia they are simple and seem closer in their design to what I have in mind to make.

Makes absolutely sense, I agree that the new insignia of the Hussars looks inappropriate, it´s difficult to read and not easily recognizable.

#67 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:33 AM

View PostHayden, on 11 December 2011 - 04:35 AM, said:

EDIT: Can't keep away. This idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while, so I decided to finally get it out there. The Outworlds alliance has always been the victim of rather unfortunate imagery when it comes to their national symbol. The first one that I am aware of was literally a couple planets stacked next to a buck rogers space ship. Not really inspirational. Later, they had an awesome concept: some kind of thing wrapping around star (I always took it as a kind of "mankind exerting domination over the cosmos"). It was pretty good, except... it was so damn complex. I mean, if someone asked you to draw it do you really think you could pull it off with any degree of accuracy? I know I couldn't. So, I developed this: the concept is almost identical, it has balance and symmetry, and best of all it's straight forward and easy to remember. I'll probably get in some trouble for this one, but meh... without further delay:
Posted Image

That's it for tonight's mega update. Hope you all have a good day!

I like it! Will work well for my Time of War character. :P

I may have to paint up the Jenner he was just piloting on Solaris using that. Managed to take down a Banshee with an SRM missile to the head after he blew off my left torso. He only had to roll a 3 and instead rolled a 2 and blacked out, LOL.

Edited by Dihm, 11 December 2011 - 07:34 AM.

#68 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

Here is the unit my brother in law Greg and I formed way back in 1987 based on one of our favorite songs by Big Country.
The LOST PATROL
Posted Image

We also included his sister in our unit even though she didn't play at the time and I ended up marrying her later, so she is in there now. :P

#69 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 11 December 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

Here is the unit my brother in law Greg and I formed way back in 1987 based on one of our favorite songs by Big Country.
The LOST PATROL
Posted Image

We also included his sister in our unit even though she didn't play at the time and I ended up marrying her later, so she is in there now. ^_^

I like that story :P

You want me to do some work on that insignia too, or is it just for reference? :lol:

#70 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

Hey that would be very cool if you could clean up the logo Hayden. I would want to use it on that Hunchback when I get off my butt and send you the rest of the pics. :P
Thanks for the offer.
Brian

#71 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 11 December 2011 - 10:09 AM, said:

Hey that would be very cool if you could clean up the logo Hayden. I would want to use it on that Hunchback when I get off my butt and send you the rest of the pics. :P
Thanks for the offer.
Brian

How's this? Let me know if anything doesn't jive, it will take 2 seconds to fix!
Posted Image

#72 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:54 AM

Ok, New Syrtis and Donegal Guards Double pack today! I'll round it out to 10 insignia as the day wears on. All images created 2011-12-12.

Syrtis Fusiliers
Posted Image
5th Syrtis Fusiliers (interpretative)
Posted Image
6th Syrtis Fusiliers
Posted Image
7th Syrtis Fusiliers (interpretative: I changed this insignia because the example given was identical to the one used by the parent unit).
Posted Image
8th Syrtis Fusiliers
Posted Image
In addition we have two more Donegal Guards units, the 6th and the 14th. Only the 8th and 11th remain, not sure when I'll get those polished off. Will try to polish these off tonight.

6th Donegal

Posted Image
14th Donegal
Posted Image
EDIT: 8th Donegal Guards - I decided to try and finish these once and for all. I was kind of at a loss for this. The final image is literally depicting a pile of 'mech parts in a mud puddle. Bonus points if you can tell what is what. 2011-12-12
Posted Image
11th Donegal Guards. This is COMPLETELY NON-CANON, and I've lapsed in my normal policy trying to keep to canonical designs, because I thought I had a pretty good one here. Canon calls for two 'mechs engaging in a tug-of-war with a red rope (the unit is known as the "push-me-pull-yous". I got the idea to instead design the insignia as a drop ship pulling a gift-wrapped planet (with a red ribbon), symbolic of the "pull you" as a consequence for "pushing me". Anyway, hopefully you guys like it.
Posted Image

Thanks! Should be more to come soon!

Edited by Hayden, 12 December 2011 - 05:44 AM.

#73 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:08 AM

Syrtis are The Fighting Chicken Eggs? :P

#74 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

View PostDihm, on 12 December 2011 - 05:08 AM, said:

Syrtis are The Fighting Chicken Eggs? :P

As I understand it, it's supposed to be a stylized "all-seeing-eye". But it looks more like the all-seeing-eye's missing contact lens. Don't know what to tell ya.

Edit: I did get a good chuckle from that.

EDIT: Anyway, hop on Sarna if you want to check, but yeah. The ones that are going for canon are pretty accurate.

Edited by Hayden, 12 December 2011 - 06:21 AM.

#75 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:11 AM

View PostHayden, on 11 December 2011 - 11:24 AM, said:

How's this? Let me know if anything doesn't jive, it will take 2 seconds to fix!
Posted Image

WOW, that is a VAST improvement!!!!! Thanks Hayden!!!

#76 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

Taking "off" from insignia work until after New Year! Happy holidays (to those of you that are into that kind of thing) and a happy and safe New Year to all!

#77 Steadfast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 767 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

Happy new year and merry xmas to you too. Njoy it and thanks.

Take care
Daniel

#78 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

Have a Merry Christmas and a bright & prosperous New Year!

#79 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

View PostSteadfast, on 13 December 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

Happy new year and merry xmas to you too. Njoy it and thanks.

Take care
Daniel

View PostJaroth Winson, on 13 December 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

Have a Merry Christmas and a bright & prosperous New Year!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

#80 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

Some fluff I made for the unit I'm working on.
Posted Image
Uniforms are from the 2nd Edition Mechwarrior RPG book, but modified for my nefarious ends.

EDIT: Fixed image to correct spelling errors :)

Edited by Hayden, 19 December 2011 - 03:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users