Anybody Else Hate These Mobility Changes?

306 replies to this topic

#301 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:35 AM

View Postpwnface, on 09 December 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

That's true but I don't think a 30-35t mech should have an easy time 1v1ing a 100tonner. 55t vs 35t goes in favor of the bigger mech. I'm not saying 100t mechs should dominate light mechs, just that it should be a closer match up.

Agreed but therein lies the rub. Where is that "Sweet Spot" wherein both sides find it fair if on the one hand, the Light gets one shotted 3 times in a row and off to the Forums they go, or the Assault Mechs gets "read ended" 3 times in a row and off to the Forums they go.

The whole thing/mess is all just very subjective. When MW hard fixed hard-points, some loved it, others hated it. Again subjective as hell. The only real solution would be Stock Mechs with "zero" changes allowed, leave the Clans on Strana Mechty forever and let the players who find it fun decide which 5 Chassis out of the hundreds available are the best. Profitability may be somewhat dicey under that regime though... ;)

HBS's BT will do just that, but just wait. That Player base will "force" HBS to change that system as well simply because not all Mechs are, or ever have been, created equal.

Edited by Almond Brown, 09 December 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#302 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

View PostSandpit, on 09 December 2015 - 10:31 AM, said:

Now if they would just change more of the variants with different engine ratings and max armor values. We'd have a LOT of different builds. That chassis might be best for min/max, but it doesn't have the biggest engine or the most armor now. That ECM mech might have ECM, but it doesn't have the same engine or armor values as the other variants.

Stuff like that would be awesome

If anything, I would like to see "bigger increments" within the variant selections. For example the Stalkers. At a max of 310, reset the Max to 375 - 400 but have any choice above the 300 be in 25t increments instead of the current 5. One could explain the weight bump as a technical requirement of the Engine to have to have that extra HS's for every 25t the Engines as they go up in size... :)

#303 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 09 December 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Agreed but therein lies the rub. Where is that "Sweet Spot" wherein both sides find it fair if on the one hand, the Light gets on shotted 3 times in a row and off to the Forums they go, or the Assault Mechs gets "read ended" 3 times in a row and off to the Forums they go.

The whole thing/mess is all just very subjective. When MW hard fixed hard-points, some loved it, others hated it. Again subjective as hell. The only real solution would be Stock Mechs with "zero" changes allowed, leave the Clans on Strana Mechty forever and let the players who find it fun decide which 5 Chassis out of the hundreds available are the best.

HBS's BT will do just that, but just wait. That Player base will "force" HBS to change that system as well simply because not all Mechs are, or ever have been, created equal.

People need to realize that their mechs have the upper hand in different situations (*gasp* you mean they excel at different roles? I thought this game had NO inkling whatsoever of role warfare!). A Dire alone is cannon fodder for a couple of lights. A brawling light is cannon fodder for the a couple heavy/assaults.

End of the game, both mechs beat up, a light will have the upper hand over the Dire, because the light will almost always have the drop on the assault and can choose when to attach, while the Dire can only put its back up to a wall and hope that he can react to the light before the light pops up and drops him.

#304 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 December 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

People need to realize that their mechs have the upper hand in different situations (*gasp* you mean they excel at different roles? I thought this game had NO inkling whatsoever of role warfare!). A Dire alone is cannon fodder for a couple of lights. A brawling light is cannon fodder for the a couple heavy/assaults.

End of the game, both mechs beat up, a light will have the upper hand over the Dire, because the light will almost always have the drop on the assault and can choose when to attach, while the Dire can only put its back up to a wall and hope that he can react to the light before the light pops up and drops him.

I am going to go out on a Limb here and say that PGI has done that to a pretty fair degree from day 1. Otherwise the Light chassis would have no place in MWO and they always have. (yes, some have been pretty tough and fast and powerful (2-3 out of the whole lot) and other not so but that "balance" is still ongoing.

And good luck getting "People need to realize that their Mechs have the upper hand in different situations" because if they did, or even more did than now, we would have a much more peaceful Forum with which to interact in instead of a plethora of this is OP and that OP etc. etc. etc... Posted Image

Edited by Almond Brown, 09 December 2015 - 10:53 AM.

#305 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

In my opinion less mobility is a very very good thing, mechs were (are) far too nimble in mwo.

#306 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 09 December 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

Or a friend to assist with deterring said Light Mech. That is the same as a Light pilot who complains when they encounter a Medium Mech designed to hunt Light Mechs. Their chances are bad as they can't just run away, just like the Assault class would love to be able to do just that on occasion but can't either. Posted Image

If your light is slower than a medium (i assume you actually mean streakcrow, so 104 kph) then .. you built it wrong. Or its an Adder or a Shi!tfox.

#307 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 09 December 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

If anything, I would like to see "bigger increments" within the variant selections. For example the Stalkers. At a max of 310, reset the Max to 375 - 400 but have any choice above the 300 be in 25t increments instead of the current 5. One could explain the weight bump as a technical requirement of the Engine to have to have that extra HS's for every 25t the Engines as they go up in size... Posted Image

I"m not suggesting any specific numbers, I just wanted to talk on how specific variant specs could do a lot for mech diversity.

I sincerely doubt that will ever happen but it would be one of the best and easiest ways to handle the balancing of all the variants and getting more mech diversity out there.

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 09 December 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

If your light is slower than a medium (i assume you actually mean streakcrow, so 104 kph) then .. you built it wrong. Or its an Adder or a Shi!tfox.

Even if you have a 20/kph speed advantage, you can't just turn and run and be "safe" against a mobile medium light hunter because they don't have to match your speed, they only have to match your escape route. It's not like you have to be standing right next to a mech to hit them ;)

you travel at 130 a medium travels at 110. You aren't going to just turn around a corner and disappear by the time that medium has a chance to round the corner and lock you back down. :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users