130 replies to this topic

#21 Devillin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 140 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTharkad, Standing Next to the Throne.

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostDreammirror, on 09 December 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

A lot of reasons to play Davion lay mostly on the Lore from the books, since they are most often the focus of the novels and represented as the good guys(usually). In this game however, Davion suffers (as does Marik and Liao) from being away from the clan border. All the action is up in the north with Steiner, Kurita, and especially FFR. If you don't want to spend your time just defending another nation's worlds from the clans, your only options are attack your neighbors--which some players refuse to do. As a result, people get bored and leave the southern nations for the action up north. The end.

Actually, the Lore from the books had Davion as part of the Federated Commonwealth. For the Clan Invasion, many of the units were transferred to the Steiner/Clan front. Marik and Liao could do the same thing through the Concord of Kapteyn, if those units were willing to fight as glorified mercenary units for the DCMS. So theoretically, all three of those Houses could have attack corridors into Clan space if the game designers wanted them to.

#22 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostNeput Z34, on 09 December 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

[CORRECTION]
3: The only Davin loyalist unit that put up tough fight, was the 66AL 66AH, cannot vouch for the rest. Haven't seen any of the 66th Argyle Lancers Avalon Hussars for quite some time either.

66AH ? I assume this was before they had multiple members impacted by the Ban wave of 64 ?

Was wondering why then, there were days where the ERLL from their Stalkers were especially painful...
They seem just stick on you, even when you dodging in and out of cover from >600M...
Great 'skill' those guys displayed..... Posted Image

Edited by ShinVector, 15 December 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#23 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

Unfortunately EVERY house had the misfortune to have players who resorted to such pathetic measures to 'git gud', so I dont think its that.

Personally I think the Davion reputation for being bad has just become a thing now. I've seen some cracking players flying the Sun and Sword as well as terrible ones .. exactly the same as every other faction. We do seem to have a huge amount of pug-les who never seem to have an interest in grouping up which I just dont get, the vast majority of folks who get on the Davion Hub are hugely friendly and normally extremely helpful to new folks, but pug-les are bad everywhere we just have more than the average.

I've been playing as Davion for years and will continue to do so no matter what some random stranger whos opinion I couldnt care less about thinks. When we win they'll be more gutted they got beaten by terrible players, and when we lose we'll do better next time.

#24 Ironically Ironclad Irony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

I really think part of it is that its the first banner newbies see when they are prompted to join a faction... I've seen a lot of unit-less Davions looking might confused...

Though I've always wondered if that was actually an alt for the opposing faction, scouting...

#25 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

I can remember sitting in on a few nightly meetings to plan for the next day with Davion. It was fun, but many of us just hit burn out after a month. Some continued to play CW, others took a look every now and again due to the changes.

Believe me, it was fun going after Liao those first few months. The but was we also would do drops on the Steiner clan front. Why, Liao was too easy to go after, that your main concern at times was the turrets. It was also to Kurita attacking Davion and using skills learned against the clans. So Davion units were forced to fight clans to learn.

One other thing is some units like to be only Davion, but others saw the chance to move from house to house for mech bays for the newer players to build out their garage of mechs.

Also just think about how units in Davion are use to dropping as 12 man mixed unit groups. Sure other units do this, but from day one, this is how Davion operated.

#26 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

Clan mechs are far superior individual and team equipment. So the big units all went clan, leaving only lore players and a few of us who are annoyed at the unbalanced nature of this game and are trying to bring balance back to the galaxy.

Kurita was a better location to fight the clans, but we have currently beaten the clans off of Kurita borders with the exception of a homeworld that we cannot attack.

Edited by MechregSurn, 15 December 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#27 IdolElite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, Terra

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:50 PM

I've noticed a lot of the really competitive units just don't play Davion. Due to faction positioning I'd assume. I usually PUG and rarely CW. So my view could be skewed.

#28 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTeutoburger Forest, Lower Saxony

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

After a first big Push from Davion against Marik, Liao and Kurita during first Phase of CW they were stopped at some Point (I think it was February 2015) and pushed back. Then their big Merc Units left Davion as they couldn't grab Planets easily anymore and from there Davion never really came back.

And Davion had by far the most Units active at all Fronts. I think Davies had about 25% of the overall CW Population those Days. Can remember we had a pretty high WinLoss Ratio against them in the early Days but they were still taking Planets daily, due to Ghost Drops. In Marik Space we didn't even know what a Ghost Drop was as we were always facing Davion Teams Posted Image

And I am speaking of Liao, Marik and Kurita all fighting them together nonstop ...

But hey with all those new PUGs and the Threat from Antares Scorpions and MS now : What about you recruit all those new Puggies into your Ranks now and get big again ? Posted Image

I really feel bad about stomping all those Davion Pugs atm. Even it is good Money. Somebody needs to pick them up and teach them CW. Good Fight vs SMC today btw.

cya

Edited by Joe Decker, 18 December 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#29 M0rdresh

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

Pfff, all about PUG, no skill, more organized units are elswhere, is this not all a bit thin air?

#30 poopenshire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 684 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:35 PM

The bad reputation is not real.

Every Davion Unit I know of has great people and good players. Its all just a Red Herring.

Trust me, I was one of them long ago, and still am at heart. Outside of MWO, I am 100% Davion Loyalist. Including the new Battletech game coming out.

Its a shame too much role playing makes Davion units look bad. They are not bad, they are good peoples.

#31 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:01 PM

View PostScifi Toughguy, on 02 December 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

I have only been playing the game for a few months but one thing has stuck out to me (painfully) is the poor reputation Davion has as pilots and a faction. How did this come about and how can we change it?

Because Davions in lore are typically the "good guy" or protagonist of the story they are a popular faction. After that I think it is a mix between the majority of players are not all that great at the game (this is true of any game) and that people that pick factions for lore reasons also tend to take builds that are sub optimal for lore reasons. Wolf has the same issues.

As for fixing it, I'm not sure it is possible. Just focus on yourself and your unit.

#32 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:57 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 02 December 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Far, far back in days of yore, in the first round of CW, when all was new and bright, House Davion ruled the roost. They blew through House Liao and there was talk about what would happen when a House was down to its last world (although they weren't to that point yet). They took huge bites out of Kurita's southern border. They even started taking swipes at Marik and, yes, Steiner.

That was only at the beginning. Then the other Houses rallied and took a bite out of the Davions. We Marik took many worlds from the Davions and the Steiners.

At the start of CW1.
Posted Image

At the end of CW1.
Posted Image

Start and end of CW1 overlayed.
Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 20 December 2015 - 03:59 AM.

#33 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:39 AM

View PostDevlinCognito, on 15 December 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

Unfortunately EVERY house had the misfortune to have players who resorted to such pathetic measures to 'git gud', so I dont think its that.

Personally I think the Davion reputation for being bad has just become a thing now. I've seen some cracking players flying the Sun and Sword as well as terrible ones .. exactly the same as every other faction. We do seem to have a huge amount of pug-les who never seem to have an interest in grouping up which I just dont get, the vast majority of folks who get on the Davion Hub are hugely friendly and normally extremely helpful to new folks, but pug-les are bad everywhere we just have more than the average.

I've been playing as Davion for years and will continue to do so no matter what some random stranger whos opinion I couldnt care less about thinks. When we win they'll be more gutted they got beaten by terrible players, and when we lose we'll do better next time.

This^^ especially the part about "We do seem to have a huge amount of pug-les who never seem to have an interest in grouping up which I just dont get," I don't get it either...
This is especially a problem during the Euro time zone...Ask TCAF or PHL....they routinely stomp pugglefish groups on a daily basis and who can blame them, it's good easy money and they get their name on a planet...Going to the Clan border doesn't make any sense as they can't get a name on a planet nor make as much money and lets face it until Phase 3 comes out this is the only real reward in CW...Posted Image ...Don't get me wrong we have this problem in the NA timezone to a LARGE degree as well..The "not working together" also extends to Units which don't wanna work together...Posted Image

I have to admit I have problems getting my guys to play CW...I have a good solid core that, like myself, play consistently but not nearly enough.....Posted Image So don't think I am excluding us from this mess...definitely not...I am actively working to fix this...

Phase 3, while it won't fix everything, will be a step in the right direction. The ability for House Loyal units to pick which planet is up for attack and ONLY house units will make being a permanent house unit worthwhile...(So I disagree with that portion of Mischief's statement)..The Scouting mode and the rewards you get for being successful, will make CW more appealing. I am hoping that this will galvanize Davion and make us a force again....

Edited by 100mile, 20 December 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#34 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

I could just post the CW records of CW NS and NKVA to give you am idea what happened in CW beta 1. Plus NKVA forum wars that tend to wear people down .... but we've all became sorta friends since then ... I know weird right. I kinda miss the hate.

#35 poopenshire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 684 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 20 December 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

I could just post the CW records of CW NS and NKVA to give you am idea what happened in CW beta 1. Plus NKVA forum wars that tend to wear people down .... but we've all became sorta friends since then ... I know weird right. I kinda miss the hate.

Once we are done helping Dear Chairman, would Dear Coordinator need some assistance?

#36 M0rdresh

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:53 AM

View Post100mile, on 20 December 2015 - 06:39 AM, said:

This is especially a problem during the Euro time zone.....Don't get me wrong we have this problem in the NA timezone to a LARGE degree as well..The "not working together" also extends to Units which don't wanna work together...Posted Image
When playing Quickplay I noticed on the North American server peope tend to use voice much more. I attribute it to the more reserved nature of most Europeans but mostly the language barrier.

#37 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

View Postpoopenshire, on 20 December 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

Once we are done helping Dear Chairman, would Dear Coordinator need some assistance?

We are trying to get a clan lane open. This happened in CW Beta 2 as well. Unfortunately the Smoke Jaguars just aren't the same as they used to be in early Beta 1 and frankly our FRR brothers are currently um too "effective" at the moment clogging up the clan lanes. So what will happen is everyone will get bored ... then -MS- will faction hop and eat worlds along with the other uber large MERC Corps that happen to be bigger than most House Factions lol.

Edited by Crockdaddy, 21 December 2015 - 10:41 PM.

#38 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:09 AM

View PostLilium Magnus the Bloodwitch, on 09 December 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

The constant resets and mercenary rotations have made history mean moot. Davion has the worst reputation for one and only one reason.

They have the most PuGs, the worst PuGs, and as Silken put it, are largely comprised of "casual lore-heads."

A Davion will always be the only one on your CW drop who brings a LRM boat. Or a NARC scout. (And NEVER both together.)

Considering HHPG has been severely handicapping itself to avoid discouraging Liao and Marik PUGs from playing CW, I don't think the claims of us having the worst PUGs hold much water.
Most of our matches ( HHPG and HHoD, I can't say much about the other units ) against actual organized units tend to be close one way or the other.
As it stands the main reason we're losing worlds at the moment is the large number of mercenaries that recently switched to Liao, normally Liao and Marik combined can field about as many organized groups as we can.

#39 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:32 AM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 20 December 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

Unfortunately CW 1 was where all the magic was and I still maintain that resetting the map probably 'killed' CW more than anything else. It's hard enough to care about dots that don't mean anything, doubly so with the knowledge that their colors will reset multiple times per year.

#40 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:58 AM

I think this about sums it up for many folks, units now know it doesn't matter what happens it'll all be reset, so may as well grab the freebies while you can.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users