Medium Mech Syndrom

47 replies to this topic

#21 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:04 AM

I have the IS version, cannot find a heavier Mech that really works for me yet.
Clan side is easier I believe partly because the Heavies go as fast as IS Mediums.

#22 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 08 December 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

Griffins are decently XL friendly. I run most of mine with XLs and while I do have side torso deaths from time to time it is usually after I have lost a majority of my weapons anyway.

I will add that I have a severe medium mech addiction. I just like them and pilot them the best. Oddly enough some of my favorites are ones that traditionally many think don't perform well. I have owned and/or own all but two of the medium chassis. The two I don't own are the Trebuchet and the Kintaro.
Here is my personal ranking of each IS chassis I have played (based on the ones I like to play the most not off of performance or meta necessarily).NOTE: this is list is subject to change often! And don't confuse this with favorite variant, that would be a totally different list! LOL
1. Enforcer
2. Blackjack
3. Crab
4. Griffin
5. Centurion
6. Vindicator
7. Shadow Hawk
8. Hunchback
8. Cicada
9. Wolverine

I know many of you are thinking no way Mech..... should be that low on the list. Never fear, these are all great mechs and I like playing them all. So tomorrow this list could be in a completely different order! I will also add that all 9 that I have played are great fun.

Here is my list for Clan mediums in order of what my favorite chassis is.
1. Stormcrow (obviously)
2. Ice Ferret and Shadow Cat (hard for me to separate the two even though they are a lot different. I the first I get speed in the other I get ECM. I think I'd like a hybrid of the two! LOL
3. Nova

When listing them out like this it is obvious I have an undeniable affliction that only medium mechs can cure!

I like the way you think. for me the crab (til it comes out for cbills) and wolverine- just have the free one atm, are my only missing mediums (I don't play clan mechs)

my rankings are in the ballpark with yours- at least at the top end
"regular rotation"
1) enforcer
2) griffin
3) kintaro
4) blackjack

"when i'm in the mood for a change"
5) hunchy
6) centurion

"haven't played this in ages"
7) cicada (less so of late while mastering the free one)
8) vindicator

"damn that's a mighty big pile of dust you got there"
9) shadowhawk
10) trebuchet

"incomplete"
wolverine

I expect the crab to challenge for a top 5 spot.

#23 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 10 December 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

I believe this short clip sums up a mediums life when engaging a fat enemy
https://youtu.be/35lqo1FeJpI?t=19s

Lol

Edited by Tractor Joe, 10 December 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#24 JeGGoR

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMontpellier, France

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

Oh, I oh LOVE medium mechs.

I don't own many yet, I bought a few mastery bundle and possess some cents, hunchies, griffins mostly. A lone blackjack and an enforcer that I got with a MC purchase.
I found myself quite "lucky" with the enforcer, good W/L ratio with this one ;) I may buy 2 other variants to master it, but so far I've been enjoying my Griffins mostly.
Oh, I've got a Stromcrow too, but, well... it's great but I prefer IS in general.

I love the balance between speed and power that mediums offer. I prefer those who have JJs and high impact weapons like AC/20 or SRMs. Hello GRF-3M ;)
With a mech like that or the YLW, it's not rare to be able to destroy a heavier mech. I've got a much harder time with long range lasers or light ballistics.

#25 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:33 AM

View PostTanar, on 10 December 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

my rankings are in the ballpark with yours- at least at the top end
"regular rotation"
1) enforcer
2) griffin
3) kintaro
4) blackjack

I haven't got the Kintaro yet. Looks like it is my next mech based off your rankings!

#26 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:43 AM

You don't need to hide that disease. For me it's almost natural. There are some of my favorites in this class.
For example the good old Hunchie, the Griffin and also the Stormcrow etc. Too much to name!

#27 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:59 AM

My name is Zimm Kotare & Medium Mechs have changed my life.

For all my efforts I cannot escape the Shadowcat. It calls to me. In the deepest night it roars & I answer.

"Say goodbye to your knee actuators chuckle heads."

#28 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:37 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 10 December 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

I have the IS version, cannot find a heavier Mech that really works for me yet.
Clan side is easier I believe partly because the Heavies go as fast as IS Mediums.

What? Which Clan heavies go as fast as IS mediums?

#29 RurikCl

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:51 AM

Well, i think i suffer from this disease

I have mastered the BJ with all variants, Cicada, Enforcer and now working on Hunchback

#30 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 11 December 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

I haven't got the Kintaro yet. Looks like it is my next mech based off your rankings!

to be honest I don't follow the quirks in mine but they're fun mechs. had the kto18 as the streaktaro for a while til they got nerfed. now tossed srms on it with a streak or two for lights and a couple ML. I kept the 19 as a streaktaro though w/ 3ML, 4 streaks doesn't cause the ghost heat issues I had with 5 of them in the 18. the 20 I slapped a couple alrm15s and a couple ML and works pretty well- was one of my first dedicated LRM mechs (pre-quirk days never changed it since)

lack of JJs aren't as big an issue as some people might think in them. though admittedly that's why I prefer the griffins (plus better torso twist)as they're a bit more maneuverable but get your speed in the high 80s+ and you'll be fine moving in a knitaro. just show a little patience and find an assault to hang with and you tear stuff up.

Edited by Tanar, 11 December 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#31 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

By the way mediums I would like to buy or try the Kintaro and the Enforcer never tried them so far. Are they worth the buy?

#32 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

View PostLiGhtningFF13, on 11 December 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

By the way mediums I would like to buy or try the Kintaro and the Enforcer never tried them so far. Are they worth the buy?

Enforcer 4P is a steal to buy. Basicly you get an 8million cbill mech for half price and its a great brawler!
And Kintaro idk...never drove them, never owned them.

#33 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostTanar, on 11 December 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

to be honest I don't follow the quirks in mine but they're fun mechs.

They do look fun. I see them in quick play often. Usually they are LRM5 spammers or streak light hunters. Both of which I think I would like to try out. I have done those in other medium mechs, but I believe the Kintaro's (some with the 5th missile hardpoint) are much better at them.

Then I jumped onto smurphy's and started to play around a bit. Tried to come up with builds I don't seem much in quick play. Could be because they are terrible, but I think I might try them just to see. Here is what I am thinking of trying out (if they don't work well I may try the more traditional builds):
KTO-20 Build 1: A bit hot, but I could go with LL's instead.
KTO-20 Build 2: Also a bit hot, but within 270 meters look out!
KTO-20 Build 3: Zombie-ish
Those are not typical, at least I don't think they are, but they seem like they could work pretty well.
KTO-18 Build 1: This one I would toy around with reducing engine size and adding LLs, maybe even replacing one of the lasers with TAG to help counter ECM a bit.
With the 18 there seem to be decent LRM5 and SRM4 builds that can run around 30-35% heat efficiency with a STD 300 engine, which seem intriguing to try. For Example: SRM4 with STD300
Those both seem more common to me than the KTO-20 build, but then again I am not really sure how correct I am on that.
Also I didn't adjust the rear armor at all, I would run much less rear armor than the KTO-20 builds show above.

If you have any suggestions for me please share them!

#34 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 11 December 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

Enforcer 4P is a steal to buy. Basicly you get an 8million cbill mech for half price and its a great brawler!
And Kintaro idk...never drove them, never owned them.

I would also add, and this is important if you don't have many engines in your inventory, that the 4P comes with a STD 250, which is highly useful in many medium mech builds. That alone makes it worth while. There are a total of 7 mechs that come with this engine (3 Crabs, 3 Trebuchets, and the 4P). I know the Crabs are great as well, I have not driven the Trebs yet so I cannot comment there. I am sort of rambling, and since I don't know what you have I will in your inventory I will only add one more piece of info.

If you don't have many mechs I always recommend getting something with a little variety between the variants. The Enforcers all come with different sized engines so you get a bit more flexibility there with your inventory. I recommend trying to get the following engines in your inventory if at all possible: STD 250, STD 275, STD 300, XL 255, XL 280, XL 300. Those engines will be the ones you are moving back and forth a lot between your 50 and 55 ton mediums. The XL 255 and XL 280 are harder to come by because most mechs stock will have the XL 250 or XL 275 because they weight the same as the 255 and 280 respectively. So when you have the option you always want the 255 or 280 instead.

Hope that helps?

#35 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

Really no reason to run a STD on a Kintaro, if you die to an ST loss you were pretty wrecked and going to lose the CT soon anyway. People talk about the arms not shielding the STs but no real need as the ST hitboxes are great. Had many a match where some one got a lucky alpha that cored a ST and I fought on long after.

This is my standard 18 build 1 erll 5 lrm5 xl300 (95kph) 9t ammo, sometimes I'll drop a ton of ammo and bring a tag. Heat is 1.38. Yes you really do need that much ammo to keep this beast fed. With quirks, t5 cooldown and elite it is a literal missile hose.
More people been taking up the KTO so enemies are getting wise that you really are dangerous, watch your positioning, don't get focused down. Beauty of Lurming in a fastish Medium is being able to hold running fights and escape bad spots.

I have enforcers but just not big on them. I have much bigger nastier mechs to scratch my Dakka itch.

#36 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostLiGhtningFF13, on 11 December 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

yes and yes- enforcers are my favorite medium right now, there's only one varient I don't like (i forget which- the one with the dual uac5 and 1 energy slot stock one-yes I can remember the loadout but not the name...), kintaros I also like- their only bad point is that none have JJs. but a lot of people dislike kintaros so i'd go with the enforcers first.

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 11 December 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

They do look fun. I see them in quick play often. Usually they are LRM5 spammers or streak light hunters. Both of which I think I would like to try out. I have done those in other medium mechs, but I believe the Kintaro's (some with the 5th missile hardpoint) are much better at them.

Then I jumped onto smurphy's and started to play around a bit. Tried to come up with builds I don't seem much in quick play. Could be because they are terrible, but I think I might try them just to see. Here is what I am thinking of trying out (if they don't work well I may try the more traditional builds):
KTO-20 Build 1: A bit hot, but I could go with LL's instead.
KTO-20 Build 2: Also a bit hot, but within 270 meters look out!
KTO-20 Build 3: Zombie-ish
Those are not typical, at least I don't think they are, but they seem like they could work pretty well.
KTO-18 Build 1: This one I would toy around with reducing engine size and adding LLs, maybe even replacing one of the lasers with TAG to help counter ECM a bit.
With the 18 there seem to be decent LRM5 and SRM4 builds that can run around 30-35% heat efficiency with a STD 300 engine, which seem intriguing to try. For Example: SRM4 with STD300
Those both seem more common to me than the KTO-20 build, but then again I am not really sure how correct I am on that.
Also I didn't adjust the rear armor at all, I would run much less rear armor than the KTO-20 builds show above.

If you have any suggestions for me please share them!

one word of warning with the streakboat- that 5th streak is going to give you ghost heat if you try to alpha with them all and when combined with the MPLs heat could become an issue. on the other hand they're great to annoy people with chainfiring. for that reason I wouldn't bump the energy up to LLs you want to have some energy backup. 3 tons of ammo may see you run short but you'll have to run it a few times to be sure.

I tend to avoid long range stuff like erlls, ppcs and gauss because I have lousy eyesight and i'm not fond of the zoom module so you're on your own there on the 20 :)

build 2 I use on one of my zombie cents- it's a fun build though you might want to squeeze another ton of ammo- you only get 22 alphas with what you have- I usually try to have enough ammo for 30 since I always seem to run out when I have less. of course that could be I lack fire control patience and waste missiles :)

build 3 seems a bit hot to me, I didn't have much luck myself with the 20 using all 4 energy slots, which was what I originally started them out in, may have tried regular LLs on it too with equally bad results, but hopefully it will work out better for you. in fact now that I think of it, my horrible results trying it that way was what made me switch it to LRMs :)

#37 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

Medium mechs are a sweet spot for me.

STD Crabs have been my thing lately. They scratch an itch for a relatively quick medium that can tank like a much larger mech. 275 seems to be a sweet spot for the engine, but I also run one with a 250 and o e with a 300.

Plus with the shorter que time I never have to wait more than a few minutes for a match.

#38 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:11 AM

Well, thanks for the advices here. Will choose now!

#39 Blowfeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 322 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

I have a medium problem as well. Serious case of Hunchback.

I am curing it at the moment with a irregular shot of quadro uac5 King Grab. It helps, but the itch stays.

Once a medium pilot, always a medium pilot!

#40 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:19 AM

Why guys just don't put a heavy with max engine as the minimum or average for a med Mech is 81kph, I'm very sure these is some heavier Mechs with 81kph capabilities ? of course it will hit firepower but already carrying more armor could be a game changer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users