How I expect Pay to Win players to react to MWO when it's released

106 replies to this topic

#21 Isotope

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMy Kind of town...

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

I haven't yet decided to purchase any type of founders package. I'll say with my 3MB of ram, I'd like to make sure it runs first, though I have an 8800GT and can run MW:LL or Crysis just fine.

I did want to add two cents here.

I played a crappy game called Neveron for some time. You could get "DP" (donation point) mechs. I'll say that sure, they were great mechs with clantech, but two battys of strikers or hunters could get good kills on those on a regular basis. I had some "DP" mechs from salvage on my first little combat empire in that game. One of the DP mechs was a salvaged Tribute, which was the best 50 tonner you could get: PPC/LRM 15 4/6/4. It was like a baby heavy. coupled with that a Cata-K2 and some other "market" mechs. Though one or two were gifts from a donator (4/6/4 still, no atlases). I killed TONS of mechs with a basic 4/6/4 tabletop PPC/LRM combo group without any overpriced "clantech".

Tenacity wins more battles, and knowing when to stay in the battle and how/when to retreat wins more often than bringing the most expensive guns.

#22 Nigel Thornberry

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 39 posts
  • LocationDarkest Africa

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

View PostIsotope, on 10 July 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

I haven't yet decided to purchase any type of founders package. I'll say with my 3MB of ram, I'd like to make sure it runs first, though I have an 8800GT and can run MW:LL or Crysis just fine.

I assume you meant 3gb of ram, and if you're running crysis fine you can easily run MWO, as the cry3 engine is less demanding then the cry engine.

#23 Isotope

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMy Kind of town...

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Right, 3GB ram, heh. I'm that old to make the MB mistake. I remember my old 80MB HD in a 386 SX 16mhz. That ran some good games back in the early 90's, lol.

I think that's the system where I didn't need DOSBOX to play crescent hawks inception/mechwarrior and CIV 1.

Ahh, the good old days.

#24 Smiffy

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 85 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

I find it funny that the OP has an elite founders tag.

#25 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostSmiffy, on 10 July 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

I find it funny that the OP has an elite founders tag.

i find it funny you think being elite is pay to win.

#26 ThaSpot

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

I may drop some coin in the game to aquire unique items for the mech, be they functional or not.

I am assuming if you want more mech bays that will be a purchase for r/l cbils.

#27 Capnflintlock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

View PostSkadi, on 10 July 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

Danka she comrade. If I play a free to play game, and its well made and balanced I usually throw down 60$ to show the makers my appreciation that their work was well done, and worth my time. Look at team fortress 2 for example. Since its release, they have released tons of maps, weapons, hats, misc items, game modes, and etc. all for free. Recently, they even made the game free to play. All you have to do is pay like 49 cents one single time to the store to buy a game item to be a premium player. Since the manco store was introduced, I have put down 60$ more, even though I spent 20-30(bought in valve game pack), just to show them my thanks for their continued support over the years. There is a difference between people that Pay to Win, and players that want to show their support for something. Although I admit I was hesitant in buying founders, 1.) because I didn't think my computer could handle it, and 2.) Because I didn't know how well it was done. Seeing the uncut players beta footage won me over in a heartbeat, and so, seeing piranhas hard work, I justified paying the $60 to support them.

#28 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationIowa, training my urbie combat skills in the sacred temple of the urbies

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

*sob story* once, a heavy wearing the special edition minerals hat killed me!! but i am Teh most elitezors ever at Teh lone wolf fortress 2. i always leave Teh noobs behind and get high kill streak. But this heavy beat me!!! he must be paying to win. but i can has porffesional gamet and kill him too!

a real post i read from this guy who thought that everybody that killed him was paying money because he was to "skilled" for everybody else

#29 Todd Lee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostSkadi, on 10 July 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

Technically it is because not only was 2 months of premium service paid for, but you also get a mech that gains additional c-bills/exp while in use. Sounds like pay to win to me =-\

#30 SparkSovereign

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostTodd Lee, on 11 July 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

Technically it is because not only was 2 months of premium service paid for, but you also get a mech that gains additional c-bills/exp while in use. Sounds like pay to win to me =-\

There's a difference between "paying to not have to play as much for the same goal" and "you played a lot more and are a better player, but I have gold ammo so you die". MWO gives you an advantage for paying, but it's an out-of-combat advantage, not a "lulz freebirth free-players can't hurt me" like other games are known to do. Given that all mechs are viable, you also don't end up with cash being the only way to get "top tier" stuff; there isn't any top tier stuff to get, just different stuff.

#31 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

That's a matter of convenience. If this was WoT, where the "premium" stuff actually had different performance on the battlefield, it'd be something to complain about, but that's not the case. People can shave time off getting their preferred mech/gear setup, but at the end of the day, they'll have access to whatever everyone else will, plus their own personal skill. There's no "mommy buys me game cards every week, so that I can pay the company to make me win more often", hence, no "pay to win".

Edited by Catamount, 11 July 2012 - 07:35 AM.

#32 Apachi69

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostNigel Thornberry, on 10 July 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

All the angry about pay to win.

Please, feel free to list a game where the cash shop gives you such a "huge" advantage.
inb4 combat arms.

Runes of Magic.

#33 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

Premium accounts are +50% faster C-Bills and XP. Founders 'Mechs are only +25% C-Bills for matches you use them in, no XP bonus. Earning things faster does not equate to pay2win. People who don't want to shell out real money for MW:O have access to all the same toys as people who do.

#34 KelethDragon

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Sure. If your lasers are powered by $$ instead of all being the same guns.

Oh wait, Cramming money into a AC/20's barrel doesn't cause it to shoot farther or hit harder?

Please, Tell me more.

#35 Khorloch

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 49 posts
  • LocationA Dark and Scary Place

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

so gaining cbills faster is paying to win?

#36 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostKhorloch, on 10 July 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

sounds about right lol

#37 Marcus Cvellus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Personally, ammount of cash for founder package is unthinkable for my conditions.
It is nice, and showing developers support, plus it adds nice capital base for them to work.

Now, the founders do deserve something in return, after all, it is not pocket money they cashed out.

On the other side, we will have to wait and see what will happen on the ground. If it is balanced, not a big deal.
If it isnt, we will have to wait untill they think something up or OP guys that payed more (if that happens) had enough of killfest.

Just mine 2 cents.

#38 Skyefox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorthern California, Terra

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

In MW:O, as far as I can tell thus far, having a Founder's pack gives you options, not results. A 50 ton mech is a 50 ton mech is a 50 ton mech. It's all about who's piloting the damn thing.

#39 Remorce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

rofl

#40 Alzoc

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationVoreppe France

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Don't dream too much
Maybe MWO won't be p2w on the beginning but it will certainly on long run.
Stop idealizing this game. It is a free to play with a good gameplay nothing more, nothing less.
Still a free to play so the p2w system will come don't worry.
Can't you just enjoy the gameplay?

And one more time, please before spiting on WoT or any other game, please play it for more than 3 hours.
Gold ammo gives you better pen true. But its at much shorter range mean that will have to get close and will probably be dead before it happens.

Have a nice day and sorry for the english.

Edited by Alzoc, 19 July 2012 - 10:20 AM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users