#161 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 08 December 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

Arms will probably be bent at the elbow like other Mechs with elbows so they will not be the height of the CT slots.
CT mounts are not the best, to use both is limited to MLs/MPLs, if you want ridge peeking with range, you only get 1 LL/ERLL.

Why fix them? LRMs do max damage (they shouldn't) 95% of the time so long as the shooter knows how to fire them.

He said the arms will be even with the cockpit, which is out front, not on top. The arms will be bent at the elbows and face forward which will hopefully shield the side torsos a bit so even if there is a 'dragon nose' it will be covered somewhat. Even with the cockpit it means there is nothing lower than the cockpit as far as weaponry so if you can see it you can hit it with everything.

LRMs still do funky things, just like SRMs.

#162 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 08 December 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

ideal war was written before the whole double BS was dreamed up.

was it though? The seeds for it existed in the 20 yr update, which dates back to 1989. And Battletech tended to have the broad strokes mapped years in advance, if not the details.

Also...Ideal War is one of the worst novels in the classic battletech canon. Though Far Country will probably always hold the distinction of the worst. (and the Black Thorns and Victor Milan Novels are pretty pulpy, too)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 08 December 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#163 Bad Haircut

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

How long until we can buy this thing?

#164 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:05 PM

Now I shall truly be "Lrmin like a Boss!"

#165 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 08 December 2015 - 07:05 PM, said:

Now I shall truly be "Lrmin like a Boss!"

Yeah... and when the inevitable "LRMS TAK NO SKILZ" rants start again? I'll just use their tears to wash my mech.

#166 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:34 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 07 December 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Posted Image
Russ's New Twitter Profile Picture, Posted Image
do i Spy the Archer Battlemech? Posted Image

Edit- HigherRes Pic By Bishop!

HAHA, CALLED IT!

Also, I absolutely LOVE the design for this mech its just... that cockpit placement is really, strange. It reminds me a lot more of the original Battletech art though, I'm just used to seeing the MW4 version I guess.

#167 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:43 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 08 December 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

HAHA, CALLED IT!

Also, I absolutely LOVE the design for this mech its just... that cockpit placement is really, strange. It reminds me a lot more of the original Battletech art though, I'm just used to seeing the MW4 version I guess.

I know it's it's nitpicking..wish people would call it "MekTek4" or something though...since I still think of MW4 as the actual game from MS.... not the fan maintained (and eventual trainwreck....flying JJs?) version.

#168 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 December 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

I know it's it's nitpicking..wish people would call it "MekTek4" or something though...since I still think of MW4 as the actual game from MS.... not the fan maintained (and eventual trainwreck....flying JJs?) version.

I believe the last available version for MekTek didn't have the directional JJs. I'm using the newest available one still on the internet and don't see any controls for that.

#169 maddogmaddux

Rookie

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:37 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 December 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

You mean PXH?

Not familiar with PHX..... Posted Image

Posted Image

Would you believe I've been playing Battletech since 1992, and nowadays run demos for Catalyst - and I have, until now, NEVER realized it was PXH not PHX!

I seriously just checked sarna.net and opened up Solaris Skunkwerks just to doublecheck.

Great Googly Moogly.

Edited by maddogmaddux, 08 December 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#170 trajan331

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

I want more than anything in the world!

#171 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

View Postmaddogmaddux, on 08 December 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

Would you believe I've been playing Battletech since 1992, and nowadays run demos for Catalyst - and I have, until now, NEVER realized it was PXH not PHX!

I seriously just checked sarna.net and opened up Solaris Skunkwerks just to doublecheck.

Great Googly Moogly.

Lol...I won't tell if you wont. And it's pretty common. I forget when I realized I was doing it too... but yeah. Posted Image

#172 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 December 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

was it though? The seeds for it existed in the 20 yr update, which dates back to 1989. And Battletech tended to have the broad strokes mapped years in advance, if not the details.

Also...Ideal War is one of the worst novels in the classic battletech canon. Though Far Country will probably always hold the distinction of the worst. (and the Black Thorns and Victor Milan Novels are pretty pulpy, too)

Last year I had a rare opportunity to speak with Stakpole (thanks again Impy) while I enjoy his books the whole double thing has always bugged me and so I asked him about it. He told me the idea for a double came to him while he was writing bred for war. He said he called the guys at fasa to propose the idea and they said sure.
So yes. Ideal War was written before the double BS was a thing.

Furthermore Ideal War is the book that hooked.me on the Vattletech universe. The Jade Phoenix trilogy free me in but it was that book that sealed the deal. It set a time for a faction that didn't have much going for it. Something uniquely Marik and let us see Word of Blake in a new way.

It's why I reject the whole double story line. They had an interesting way forward for the faction and they threw it away without really exploring the idea. In fact I know know it wasn't only thrown away but it was tossed aside on a whim. As a result No One knew how to even handle the concept of the knight of the inner sphere going forward. I can only remember two stories off the top of my head where they were used. Star Lord and the twilight of the clans. In both casesntuey were written as lawful stupid and ,rightfully given how they were written, ridiculed for it.

In a world that is supposed to be feudal the whole knights thing really had an opportunity to bring what that actually means to the forefront. Something that Would have worked particularly well given the Holy Roman Empire structure of the league.

So no, ideal war was not a bad book. You want eye rolling bad read the Caballero books.

Edited by ThomasMarik, 08 December 2015 - 10:12 PM.

#173 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 December 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

Yeah... and when the inevitable "LRMS TAK NO SKILZ" rants start again? I'll just use their tears to wash my mech.

Careful with that, Bishop. After all, the salt-content of the tears could cause rust on your mech. As enjoyable as it might be it may not be prudent to do so. :D

#174 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 December 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Yup. Where else would it be on an Archer?

Up its behind ?

All I can say is Damn it wasn't the Phoenix or the Crusader, nice though.

something else to say, no 3d of the warhammer yet ?

#175 Kurvi

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

The problem with using Morgan Kell's mech for the Hero is that Morgan apparently piloted a stock Archer (at least during the Warrior Trilogy). Now if they wanted to add "phantom mech ability" to the skill tree, or as a quirk, that would be.... ...different.

#176 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostJetfire, on 07 December 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

whose an ugly baby? you are! that's right!

Buying that fugly duckling... but come on! PHX! PHX! PHX!

Looks like it is going to say "Duh.... I broght'd da missiles, where me get locks?!"

Yeah - this is going to be my Command Mech. Slap on an obnoxious amount of LRMs, MLs for backup, and call the shots. Love me some Archer.

#177 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostExplicitContent, on 08 December 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

Anyone know when PGI is going to post this one?

View PostBad Haircut, on 08 December 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

How long until we can buy this thing?

The obligatory "Soon™".

#178 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

Yes!

#179 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostKurvi, on 09 December 2015 - 10:34 AM, said:

The problem with using Morgan Kell's mech for the Hero is that Morgan apparently piloted a stock Archer (at least during the Warrior Trilogy). Now if they wanted to add "phantom mech ability" to the skill tree, or as a quirk, that would be.... ...different.

Yes. So did Arden Sortek (Dragonslayer), Ivy Upsalom (IV-Four), Natasha Kerensky (Black Widow), Gray Noton (Legend Killer) and most other canon Heroes.

Modified mechs were actually pretty rare. If we went by canon over 2/3 the heroes would be stock mechs

#180 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 December 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

Yes. So did Arden Sortek (Dragonslayer), Ivy Upsalom (IV-Four), Natasha Kerensky (Black Widow), Gray Noton (Legend Killer) and most other canon Heroes.

Modified mechs were actually pretty rare. If we went by canon over 2/3 the heroes would be stock mechs

I wouldn't mind if the Hero Mech of Morgan Kell was just a stock ARC-2R and the only thing different is they added an ECM slot in one of the torsos. Maybe 2 AMS to make it really different.

Give me that and maybe some sort of black and red paintjob with a dog/hound motif and I would be good to go. Course I would change it to Marik colors of course :D.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users