#61 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 12 December 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Okay third question. the clan that's mentoring me is prepping me to get into CW. they want me to get a havy. i'm siding with IS. what's a noob friendly IS heavy?

For heavies... I'm a little harder pressed. I don't run many heavy mechs myself. My CW drop deck currently are 4 Crabs, and I do better with them than if I bring in a more traditional CW dropdeck.

Anyway, the Thunderbolt tends to be highly recommended. However, from observation of your described play style, I'm guessing you'd want something more mobile. I'd personally consider Dragons, Grasshoppers, Black Knights or Quickdraws. Out of that list, Dragons and Grasshoppers are probably more recommended for competitive styled play.

So, overall, I'd probably look into Grasshoppers as a fast, jumping energy loadout mech. Should feel a bit like a heavy fast mech, just less agile. The Quickdraw can also do well as this, but isn't considered as good of a mech by most people.

I probably would ask the clan/unit that is helping you out. They sound like a helpful crowd, and probably understand your combat preferences better than I do. They may have some personal recommendations and/or builds for you to start out with.

#62 Solarise02

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

Just bought new arctic cheetah, it is very good =), u can get a lot of back stabbing kills n high damage 600 +

#63 LightningStorm

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts
  • Locationİstanbul, Türkiye

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:04 PM

I'd recommend picking Timber Wolf, Stormcrow or Arctic Cheetah
even if you don't know how to torso twist, they still spread damage very nicely because of their torso shape
and i'd recommend Timber Wolf especially because TBR-A right torso omnipod has 3 high placed energy slots, so you can also peek with lazers without hitting obstacles

#64 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostLightningStorm, on 12 December 2015 - 10:04 PM, said:

I'd recommend picking Timber Wolf, Stormcrow or Arctic Cheetah
even if you don't know how to torso twist, they still spread damage very nicely because of their torso shape
and i'd recommend Timber Wolf especially because TBR-A right torso omnipod has 3 high placed energy slots, so you can also peek with lazers without hitting obstacles

The Timberwolf might not be a great starter mech. One reason: Target Priority. People see a Timberwolf and an Orion. People WILL aim for the Timberwolf first, because it is known for being a good mech (arguably one of the BEST mechs in the game, if not the best). Thus, it might attract too much attention.

#65 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:53 PM

View PostTesunie, on 12 December 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

The Timberwolf might not be a great starter mech. One reason: Target Priority.

Wrong. With so many new players around, nobody knows what to prioritize. Getting the meanest, most versatile thing around is exactly the easy way to go today.

#66 Yozaa

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

Trail Thunderbolt 9SE or buy one
My CW Deck, 3 Thunderbolt and a Blackjack

Edited by Yozaa, 12 December 2015 - 11:00 PM.

#67 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:30 PM

View PostModo44, on 12 December 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

Wrong. With so many new players around, nobody knows what to prioritize. Getting the meanest, most versatile thing around is exactly the easy way to go today.

Personally, I think a medium mech could/would serve them better. They remain a lower priority, and don't take up a heavier slot while they learn the game. Also, there are more experienced players playing with the less experienced players. If they are T5, they can be easily playing with T3 players, whom should know enough to aim for the TImberwolf.

However, I do see the logic of what you say as well. Get them the best, and it will serve them for a long time. However, sometimes you don't want to start in the best, because the best is only really the best once you have the skills to use it properly. When learning how to drive, one does not typically start in a commercial mac truck, nor even in a Hummer. They normally start in a smaller vehicle (a Medium most likely in MW terms) and work their way up from there.

I think, ultimately, we shall probably agree to disagree here. Then again, read the responses so far in this thread. A lot of people suggest Hunchbacks, but you also still have a lot of other people suggesting some other mech as well. Honestly? The perfect beginner mech is the mech that they have fun in. Efficient or not. It is a game after all.

(For the record: I'm not saying the Timberwolf isn't a good starter mech. I'm just saying that there are some drawbacks to it as a starter mech. Same with the Stormcrow. They are each great mechs, but being a great mech doesn't mean it's going to be a great mech to learn with. Some things are best when approached with experience, such as CW for an example.)

#68 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

I am in tier 1, playing solo against people from tier 3 or lower on a regular basis. Trust me, they do not know to focus a TW, at all.

#69 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

Here's my Thunderbolt build: TDR-9SE

Edited by Lupis Volk, 14 December 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#70 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostModo44, on 13 December 2015 - 12:24 AM, said:

I am in tier 1, playing solo against people from tier 3 or lower on a regular basis. Trust me, they do not know to focus a TW, at all.

T1 can't be teamed up in public queue (quick play. PUG) against T4 nor T5. T3 though you can, but you have no way of knowing in game unless you talk to them (and they are honest) or they have their rank displayed on the forums and you see the same name there. (Not unless they slipped in showing ranks in match and I wasn't aware of it.)

But not everyone focuses fire anyway. However, given the option, what target would YOU focus on? An Orion or a Timberwolf? So, if you were going against an opponent who was new (shouldn't happen) in a Timberwolf, you would be more likely to shoot at them over other targets.

I can also say, myself being T3, I may very well be paired off with these said new players. If I am, I will target a Timberwolf over just about any other heavy mech in the game, unless another target appears more damaged and might be an easier kill. My advise would protect them from other T4-3 players such as myself from concentrating our fire on them and killing them quickly. They can't learn as well if they are defeated in a match (though they can still observe at least).

However, I also agree that the Timberwolf is a powerful mech in the game, and it wouldn't be a bad mech to start off with, provided they don't get focused simply because of the mech they are in. I only give warning to the selection, nothing more. I am merely mentioning the possibility of that risk.

I'd also like to mention that, if they ever plan to join CW, it might be relevant to ask what faction they intend to join IS or Clan. If they say IS, then the Timberwolf might not be as good of an option over a Thunderbolt (for example). There has been a reason I've mentioned specifically Clan and IS starter mechs, when possible and when asked. (I'd still personally recommend the Stormcrow over the Timberwolf as a Clan starter mech. Still powerful, but a little more forgiving due to even better speed. Just as flexible of loadout options as well.)

#71 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

also with the IS packages on the online store what'd be the best/cheapest bang for buck and or the best that a beginner should look into? I'm just asking because i'm looking for heavies for FW.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 14 December 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#72 Yozaa

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 13 December 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

Here's my Thunderbolt build: TDR-9SE

Looks good.
A few tips:
1) Stay close to cover whenever possible. Like real infantry move cover to cover. Always have a plan B, if things go bad, where is the closest cover.
2) Protect your left side, shield with your right side.
3) I basically creep out of cover the minimum amount necessary to fire at the target, FIRE, then torso twist to spread damage as I return to cover and repeat.

Using the "Full Stop" button makes popping in and out of cover much faster.
Eg: Forward, Full Stop, Fire, Reverse to cover, Full Stop, Repeat.

#73 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 14 December 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

also with the IS packages on the online store what'd be the best/cheapest bang for buck and or the best that a beginner should look into? I'm just asking because i'm looking for heavies for FW.

For your described play style (Fast, mobile, liked Jenners right?), I might actually recommend the Resistance Pack, A La Carte the Grasshopper for $35. It's a decent heavy mech, and has a good speed and jump ability. This is an Inner Sphere Faction mech.

If you are playing Clans specific as your faction (you are currently Jade Falcon, which is clan) you could also A La Carte the Timberwolf for $55. You can also do the Hellbringer or even the Ebon Jaguar for $55 A La Carte. You can also save and earn these mechs with C-bills given enough play time, unless you have more money than time.

I will warn though, FW or CW (same thing) is hard mode. It is made for groups and more experienced players. If you are just getting started in the game, you might not be ready for this level of play yet. However, you seem like you have a decent group helping you, so it might be alright in your case if you drop with them.

EDIT: For your described play style, and being of the Clan faction currently, the Summoner may also serve you well. You will find that as an option in the Wave 1 set, with the Timberwolf. You could A La Carte the Summoner instead, or with, the Timberwolf. $55 individual, or $100 for the two heavy mechs. I do warn that the Summoner is not considered a very good Clan mech currently. It's decent, but not "the best".

Edited by Tesunie, 14 December 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#74 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:12 PM

View PostTesunie, on 14 December 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

For your described play style (Fast, mobile, liked Jenners right?), I might actually recommend the Resistance Pack, A La Carte the Grasshopper for $35. It's a decent heavy mech, and has a good speed and jump ability. This is an Inner Sphere Faction mech.

If you are playing Clans specific as your faction (you are currently Jade Falcon, which is clan) you could also A La Carte the Timberwolf for $55. You can also do the Hellbringer or even the Ebon Jaguar for $55 A La Carte. You can also save and earn these mechs with C-bills given enough play time, unless you have more money than time.

I will warn though, FW or CW (same thing) is hard mode. It is made for groups and more experienced players. If you are just getting started in the game, you might not be ready for this level of play yet. However, you seem like you have a decent group helping you, so it might be alright in your case if you drop with them.

EDIT: For your described play style, and being of the Clan faction currently, the Summoner may also serve you well. You will find that as an option in the Wave 1 set, with the Timberwolf. You could A La Carte the Summoner instead, or with, the Timberwolf. $55 individual, or $100 for the two heavy mechs. I do warn that the Summoner is not considered a very good Clan mech currently. It's decent, but not "the best".

Okay. I'm not meant to be in Clan though. i derped and accepted a invite from the clan group of the unit that's training me. The unit is cautioning me away from a Grasshopper.

#75 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 14 December 2015 - 10:12 PM, said:

Okay. I'm not meant to be in Clan though. i derped and accepted a invite from the clan group of the unit that's training me. The unit is cautioning me away from a Grasshopper.

It does have a large CT, but it isn't a bad mech. Very solid and highly XL friendly. I will say I do like the Grasshopper, but I also understand it's faults too. Use to have the Grasshopper as one of my main CW mechs, until the Crab came out. The Crab matches my play style perfectly, and I use it very well it seems.

Are there any mechs they are specifically suggesting to you? I could give you feedback on them specifically, and/or maybe even a few builds to consider...

#76 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:19 PM

View PostTesunie, on 14 December 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

It does have a large CT, but it isn't a bad mech. Very solid and highly XL friendly. I will say I do like the Grasshopper, but I also understand it's faults too. Use to have the Grasshopper as one of my main CW mechs, until the Crab came out. The Crab matches my play style perfectly, and I use it very well it seems.

Are there any mechs they are specifically suggesting to you? I could give you feedback on them specifically, and/or maybe even a few builds to consider...

They said grasshopper then went to Quickdraw then settled on Thunderbolt, which i brought the Tbolt 9SE variant.

Now i'm a light/light medium MechWarrior (mainly all i have is 3 Jenners, 3 Cicada's and 3 BlackJacks) but the Thunderbolt doesn't click with me like the Jenners and Cicada's do.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 14 December 2015 - 10:21 PM.

#77 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 14 December 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

They said grasshopper then went to Quickdraw then settled on Thunderbolt, which i brought the Tbolt 9SE variant.

Now i'm a light/light medium MechWarrior (mainly all i have is 3 Jenners, 3 Cicada's and 3 BlackJacks) but the Thunderbolt doesn't click with me like the Jenners and Cicada's do.

It's a slower mech, because it doesn't have the larger engine capacity nor jump (for most of them). It is going to be a different style of play for you to learn, which may not be a bad thing.

For you, I still would recommend the Grasshopper or Quickdraw, as I feel those mechs already continue to work with what skills you've already been developing. However, the Quickdraw is considered too big (it's getting resized eventually according to PGI) for it's tonnage but remains fairly nimble. The Grasshopper is considered to have too large of a CT, but this leads it to being very XL friendly which makes it rather fast. It can laser boat as well, which is considered a good point at this moment in the game.

My Grasshopper builds:
MWO:Mechlab - GHR-5J : One of my best Grasshoppers, and the one I'd recommend for you personally. Can hit hard, but you need to remain on the move and use those JJs wisely for some good hit and run.
MWO:Mechlab - GHR-5N : Slower, but still packs a good punch. I don't think I use this version anymore though, and I think I converted it to having 4 LLs instead... (I should update my mech list I think...) (Updated, mostly...)
MWO:Mechlab - GHR-5H : A not recommended toss together to "make it work"... Still kinda fun to play with anyway...

My Quickdraw builds:
MWO:Mechlab - QKD-4H : I've also reworked this... Didn't know my mech list was this far out of date! Thankfully, my build remained very close to this one still.
MWO:Mechlab - QKD-5K : Although I've sold this one over time, it worked very well. In today's meta, it should work even better. Probably needs some JJ adjustments due to JJs being adjusted over time. Probably could use an additional JJ or two for practicality in today's game.

Each mech has served me well. It depends upon what you want from your mech. I wont say those mech builds are "competitive", but I'm not a competitive player. I also wont say that either mech is "best in game" either... But I do like them and I've gotten decent results from them. The Grasshopper is a very good mech though in my opinion.

As far as Thunberbolts, they will play slower and tankier. I didn't recommend them to you for that reason, as you seem to like mobility and agility over tankyness. With that said though, some of my Thunderbolt builds if it interested you any:
MWO:Mechlab - TDR-5S : I'll say, I like my LRMs, but normally not recommended for CW. However, when CW was still young, I took this mech onto the fields. It ran alright. Probably not recommended, but it's got a nice mix of weapons for a good support mech.
MWO:Mechlab - TDR-9S : I made this mech long before quirks, and long before it became "a thing". They have down played it, but the loadout should still work well. LPL is for anything fast and hard to hit. The ERPPCs are for ranged hill snipping.

Use as you wish, if you wish. Redistrubute armor as needed (I did not place exact armor values in Smurfy). Though the Thunderbolt is a great mech, I don't think it is fitting for you. I still recommend a Grasshopper or Quickdraw personally. You seem like you work best with mobility and jump, and those mechs have it where as the Thunderbolt does not. Only other recommendation I might present would be a Dragon.

#78 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

Okay. With know my playstyle what mediums/lights should i also look into? (mainly asking since 1.5 is coming tomorrow and the crab becomes available for Cbills)

#79 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 10 December 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

Centurion
Hunchback
Jagermech
Thunderbolt.

Definately agree with your first two listed mechs. Not much weapon configs to switch and also good maneuverable chassis.

#80 Fat Jack Murphy

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEuropa

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:50 AM

jaegermech.

JM6-FB, 2 large pulse, 4 medium, AMS + one ton
JM6-DD, 3 UAC5 +6 or more tons, AMS+one ton - alternatively 2 AC20.
JM6-A, 3 AC4 +6 or more tons, AMS+one ton

if you get the JM6-S with the Missile hardpoints, think about either lasers and 4 SRM6
or 4 LRM10 with ammo as a boat

dont forget to add armour or learn to use cover.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users