#81 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 14 December 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

Okay. With know my playstyle what mediums/lights should i also look into? (mainly asking since 1.5 is coming tomorrow and the crab becomes available for Cbills)

Lights: Jenner (You already seem to do well in it), Firestarter, Raven (3L or 4X), or Panther(?).
Mediums: Cicada (no jump for the most part), Treb, Griffin. The Crab is a really nice mech in my opinion and can play very agile and quick. Not as quick as the Jenner, and only the SL has jump, but it might work well for you.

The Crab actually could be a good fit for you. It can get enough speed with decent firepower. Has good hit boxes (just suggest standard engines unless you have a specialty design. XLs are risky, but not impossible). Currently, my Crabs I play (Armor values not exact):
MWO:Mechlab - CRB-20 : This is my high speed striker. You may like it, but be careful of that XL engine in it. Twist any damaged sides away from the enemy. This is a hit and fade mech. No jump though.
MWO:Mechlab - CRB-27 and 27B : These two run with the same builds, but strangely serve different roles. The 27 is better at longer ranges due to quirks. The 27B is better are mid ranges and a bit of a brawl if it has to because it's quirks reduce heat. Each work solidly as a long range sniper mech. The Crab is short, use it to your advantage.
MWO:Mechlab - CRB-27SL : This Crab is another one I think you'd like. My setup has PPCs, but you could also place Large Pulse Lasers in instead and it would work well. Fast, agile, jump. With this XL engine though, have to watch your side torsos again. However, I play mine as a jump sniper, which spread and prevents a lot of damage. (Not a brawling design. Do not stand still and take hits.)

The Crab, in my opinion, is one of the best starter mechs in the game now that it's in for C-bills. It leads to really simple loadouts, has forgiving hit boxes, works great with cheap standard engines, has the agility of a light mech (not the speed)... However, I have to admit that I loved the Crab since the TT (Table Top) game. So my opinion could be a bit bias... Posted Image

#82 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

got the Cicada's i do like them.

I got the quickdraw Mastery bundle and am enjoying them more than the Thunderbolt.

If they had a crab mastery bundle i'd go crazy and buy it.

With the crab should i just go mental and build my own build?

Edited by Lupis Volk, 15 December 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#83 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:07 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 15 December 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

got the Cicada's i do like them.

I got the quickdraw Mastery bundle and am enjoying them more than the Thunderbolt.

If they had a crab mastery bundle i'd go crazy and buy it.

For $40, you could. They where part of the Resistance Wave 2 pack, and you can get them and the Wolfhounds (you may like them as well) for relatively well priced. Wont have a hero or champion mech included, but it would have one +30% C-bill boosting variant, which is one of the better Crabs in my opinion. I find the 27® Crab great for CW, as it can out range the clans and play within their own playground.

I would like to also say that the Crab is now out for C-bills, so you can buy them with earned in game money for free (given enough time).

Enjoy the Quickdraw. I do think they will fit you well for now. Lots of mobility for a heavy mech, compared to the Tunderbolt especially. Remember, Quickdraws are very XL friendly (last I knew), which gives the mech a decent edge in a fight.

#84 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

So your saying i should buy the Resistance wave 2 $40 bundle.

#85 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 15 December 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

So your saying i should buy the Resistance wave 2 $40 bundle.

If you want the mech "now" and not save up C-bills for them, then it wouldn't be a bad concept.

For $40, you'd get 3 Wolfhounds and 3 Crabs (the 20, 27 and 27B), each chassis would have one ® variant that would give you a C-bill boost. That's 6 mechs for $40, plus the needed mechbays for them.

I personally (because I'm broke in real life) would save C-bills to buy the Crabs now that you can get them that way. But, the Crabs are a really nice mech overall, and the Wolfhound isn't too bad either. In the end, it's up to you. Do you have more money than time? Or you willing to take a week or two to earn them in game? This game isn't pay to win at all, though I don't mind someone supporting the game where I can not...

#86 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

View PostTesunie, on 15 December 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

If you want the mech "now" and not save up C-bills for them, then it wouldn't be a bad concept.

For $40, you'd get 3 Wolfhounds and 3 Crabs (the 20, 27 and 27B), each chassis would have one ® variant that would give you a C-bill boost. That's 6 mechs for $40, plus the needed mechbays for them.

I personally (because I'm broke in real life) would save C-bills to buy the Crabs now that you can get them that way. But, the Crabs are a really nice mech overall, and the Wolfhound isn't too bad either. In the end, it's up to you. Do you have more money than time? Or you willing to take a week or two to earn them in game? This game isn't pay to win at all, though I don't mind someone supporting the game where I can not...

well i do have the money and i could use the saved Cbills to upgrade the mechs. So should i?

Brought the 27SL with Cbills. if i enjoy it i'll get the Resistance2 bundle.

edit: I'm loving it.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 15 December 2015 - 06:46 PM.

#87 Drazyx

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

View PostMoomtazz, on 10 December 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

I fell for the Hunchback recommendation years ago. HATED it! I kinda like them now though. Anyway, you can check the list here and get an idea of what are currenly good mechs and build ideas.

http://metamechs.com...ists/comp-list/

Edit: I wouldn't go with a Light as my first mech. You need to earn C-bills to buy more mechs and Light are unfortunately not up to par at earning C-bills, especially for a new player. Big damage leads to big earnings. There are other things that add to earnings but damage/kills/wins are easiest to focus on.

yeah, returning vet here, since when were hunchies good for noobs? ha, rhetorical, somehow im sure youre right - i have a few hunchies, just havent been dusted off in years. probably still sporting green camo...iccck...

for noobs my learning experience would say,
for IS heavies - cataphract 3D, jagermech A, thunderbolt
clan heavies - anything but summoner, you cant go wrong.

i got hooked on cataphracts and catapults and then stalkers and atlasee early when i started, kinda havent looked back except for clans.
ninja edit - everyone should have at least 1 timberwolf, lol

Edited by Drazyx, 15 December 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#88 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:10 PM

I have the 4G, 5K and 4-IV Quickdraws. Does anyone have some build guides for them?

#89 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 15 December 2015 - 11:10 PM, said:

I have the 4G, 5K and 4-IV Quickdraws. Does anyone have some build guides for them?

I only have one of them, and it's a very old 5K. Not sure how it would work now. I do know it would need more Jump Jets to function as it once did, but the rest should be alright. Of course, as always, use if you want, don't if you don't, and modify to your preferences if you do use it.

Otherwise, no overall guides on them. I kinda follow an idea and see if it works kinda person. Some of my builds have no rhyme nor reason. Other's are built with a specific purpose.

Concepts from your Jenner should be able to transfer decently onto several of the Quickdraws. The 4-IV is probably going to be the harder one to work with. Maybe something similar to my Enforcer? A heavier version of my Shadowhawk? Not sure what to suggest on that one.

I find joy in experimentation of a mech build. There is no harm in trying something out. What's the worst that happens, it doesn't work or you don't like it?

Edited by Tesunie, 15 December 2015 - 11:34 PM.

#90 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:12 AM

Yeah the 4-IV is my problem child. Though i'm enjoying the Quickdraws and Crabs. Now onto buying the Resistance 2 $40 bundle.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 16 December 2015 - 04:13 AM.

#91 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:13 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 16 December 2015 - 04:12 AM, said:

Yeah the 4-IV is my problem child.

Not sure what the quirks are on that mech (not that I typically listen to them), but I've got a few concept builds (never tested).
Version1: As dual AC2s for long range plinking, and two SRM4s and two MLs for closer ranged work. The AC2s can make this good for critting and for end game work.
Version2: Dual AC5s, dual SRM4s and two MLs. A little more damage, a little cooler... a lot less ammo...
Version3: Twin AC10s paired with two MLs. For a mid ranged mech. A bit slower than the others.
Version4: An asymmetric design with an LBX AC10, two MPL and a set of SRM4s. Designed purely to get in, hit hard, and brawl.

I can see this mech being a problem for you. It's not as fast as the other Quickdraws, and it's bogged down by heavy ballistics. Unless you ignore the ballistics (except for MGs), you are going to be strapped on what you can actually make with it.

(I avoided LRM centered builds, as I don't know your opinion about them. Still, with the ballistic slots, it would be hard to get very many LRMs on it. Maybe an LRM5 or two... Unless of course you ignore the Ballistics, which I'm sure it has quirks for.)

Edited by Tesunie, 16 December 2015 - 08:15 AM.

#92 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

View PostTesunie, on 16 December 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

Not sure what the quirks are on that mech (not that I typically listen to them), but I've got a few concept builds (never tested).
Version1: As dual AC2s for long range plinking, and two SRM4s and two MLs for closer ranged work. The AC2s can make this good for critting and for end game work.
Version2: Dual AC5s, dual SRM4s and two MLs. A little more damage, a little cooler... a lot less ammo...
Version3: Twin AC10s paired with two MLs. For a mid ranged mech. A bit slower than the others.
Version4: An asymmetric design with an LBX AC10, two MPL and a set of SRM4s. Designed purely to get in, hit hard, and brawl.

I can see this mech being a problem for you. It's not as fast as the other Quickdraws, and it's bogged down by heavy ballistics. Unless you ignore the ballistics (except for MGs), you are going to be strapped on what you can actually make with it.

(I avoided LRM centered builds, as I don't know your opinion about them. Still, with the ballistic slots, it would be hard to get very many LRMs on it. Maybe an LRM5 or two... Unless of course you ignore the Ballistics, which I'm sure it has quirks for.)

I'm getting into Ballistics. Been using my BJ-1DC with a Ultra AC/5 with 4 med lasers. Now i'm eagerly eyeing up the Jagermech DD. Would anyone have any advice on the Jager DD?

Also is there any IS mediums that'd be viable Ballistic mechs?

Edited by Lupis Volk, 18 December 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#93 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 18 December 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

I'm getting into Ballistics. Been using my BJ-1DC with a Ultra AC/5 with 4 med lasers. Now i'm eagerly eyeing up the Jagermech DD. Would anyone have any advice on the Jager DD?

Sorry for the delay. Was either too busy, or too tired to make a proper response for a while. (I work retail, and tis the season.)

I'll admit I'm not that great with ballistics (for whatever reason). Though I do have some mechs that use them.

For a Jagermech DD? I actually don't even have any builds saved on Smurfy for mine...
For builds I have seen/use myself:
- I have mine set up for Dual AC5s and dual AC2s, with backup weapons of Dual Medium laser (I think). It can work well, or it can do nothing. Depends upon how hit registration seems to be feeling that day/match/second....
- I have commonly heard about the 3 UAC5 build, 2 on one arm, 1 on the other arm. You can squeeze in a fourth one, but it gets really tight then, and you then have to sacrifice something for it.
- Dual Guass is the most common build currently for a Jagermech.
- Dual AC20s is an old design (called the Boomjager). It will run hot due to Ghost heat, but it can do a lot of damage.
- I've seen and used a 4 AC2 build before. It's not bad, but you have to be careful. It doesn't play into the current Alphawarrior Online meta running in the game.
- As a continuation of the previous build, I've seen and heard of a 6 AC2 Jager before.
- I've seen a build that was 6 MGs and 2 ERPPCs/LPLs. Can't say how effective it was, but if you can survive till late in game, you can do a lot of damage.
- I even saw a joke build that was 6 MGs and 2 Flamers. The one time I saw this build, it killed my pristine mech instantly... somehow... I'm still not sure what happened, though sadly I suspect a bug, glitch, exploit or cheat was somehow used.... (As in, literally, I 1v1ed him on old River City, rounded a corner, he was the first mech I saw, and I just saw my mech turn from gold armor to dead in seconds.)

For the most part, you'll be looking at an XL engine on many of these, due to the weight of ballistics, though the Jagermech is not considered XL friendly. Be aware of this fact, and you should do decently.

As another note, the Catapult K2 runs in a very similar manner as the Jagermech. Don't know if this is helpful.

#94 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

JM6-DD Used to be one of my favorites!

Advice: ALL Jagermechs have big, squishy side torsos. They're tall, too, and pretty broad. Basically, hitting a JM6 is no harder than hitting the broad side of a barn from within. From the front, the side torsos melt quickly. From the sides, the arms and side torsos fall off fast. And any relatively hard-hitting JM6 build is going to be almost impossible (at least impossibly slow) with a STD engine. So, it's either a heavy sniper (dual gauss), or a hit-n-run (Boomjager, or lotsa dakka) mech. It's FUN to pour dakka into an enemy's face and just tank him, but the JM6 isn't exactly the best chassis for that because it's almost impossible to miss the things. Side poking at medium range with UAC/5s, hit-and-run with AC/20s, or long-range with dual Gauss (or, a LOT of AC/2s, or a mix of the two). THAT is what the DD does. Also, if you like ballistics, the JM6-S used to also work well for me.

It's one of the few mechs in which I NEVER got legged, and honestly, never felt bad about shaving over 1/4 of my leg armor off to make room for BIG FRIGGIN' GUNS! Enjoy!

#95 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

The Firebrand with a STD 300, 6 medium lasers and 2x AC5 remains my favorite Jager. It's just so much fun. :)

#96 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

Viable Medium Ballistics mechs, not including Hero Variants;

Blackjack, BJ-1, BJ-1DC
Centurion, CN9-AH
Enforcer, ENF-4P, ENF-5P
Hunchback, HBK-4G
Trebuchet, TBT-7K
Shadowhawk, SDH-2H, SDH-5M

These are all the c-bill nabbable IS mediums that can run dual uac 5s. If you expand your idea of viable to include dual AC 5's instead, well then, options abound.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 22 December 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#97 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostLeone, on 22 December 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Viable Medium Ballistics mechs, not including Hero Variants;

Blackjack, BJ-1, BJ-1DC
Centurion, CN9-AH
Enforcer, ENF-4P, ENF-5P
Hunchback, HBK-4G
Trebuchet, TBT-7K
Shadowhawk, SDH-2H, SDH-5M

These are all the c-bill nabbable IS mediums that can run dual uac 5s. If you expand your idea of viable to include dual AC 5's instead, well then, options abound.

~Leone

On the BJ-1, try out an AC/20 and 2 Mediums lasers, with jumpjets. Still a blast. Still viable.

Then get a BJ-1X and be an absolute killer. And an arrow with 2 ML, 1 Large Pulse and 6 Machineguns. It's HILARIOUS fun :)

#98 Narkos Fera

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:11 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 22 December 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

The Firebrand with a STD 300, 6 medium lasers and 2x AC5 remains my favorite Jager. It's just so much fun. Posted Image

^ could you link that build? as i will explain it down there, atm im really bad fitting an Mech at the Mechlab-site

hey, there, i was thinking of playing MWO often in the past. but some reviews where not that good and i dont liked the "washed" textures inside the cockpit.

But now i watched some MWO Mech gameplays and it seems like a lot of fun even when the graphic is not the best (but hey, im playing WoW, so...)
Im downloading the game right now, read me a bit through this forum, tried (and failed) the Mechlab.

In short, im looking like the OP for a good solid and mostile range Mech. I dont like brawl gamestyles, mostly i get panic and die horrible.
Now i looked at some "fittings" and i must say, the Jagermech seems like a good sniping Mech, with Gauss or Large Laser.
Now my question is, can i afford some of these fits, you are posting here. saw this JM6-S (i like Gauss, no trail, and nearly perfect for a peek-a-boo (even with the little "loading time") and the Top Dog (no idea what Mech this is, maybe the Mad Dog) with his points on Lazors.

after testing on the Mechlab a little while, i fitted this one: Firebrand

i checked through the guns, and saw, AC5 makes more DPS as a Gauss, but lower range (i should read more about them in the Q&A thread) . i also put some Medium laser in it, for the the late game or emergency situations.

Maybe there are better fittings or Mechs for a beginner (who didnt even start the game) as these, but i like to know for what im grinding for.

Edited by Narkos Fera, 23 December 2015 - 03:39 AM.

#99 Princeps Ibram Cain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:11 AM

Hunchabk 4SP, bien equilibrado y con buena distribucion de hardpoints, permitiendole mantenerse en batalla aunque haya perdido el 50% de su potencia de fuego. Sin emabrgo hay que tener cierta conciencia con el calor y la munición de los SRM6 que tiende a desaparecer rapidamente si no se pone atencion. Del mismo modo, tratar de explotar los puntos expuestos del objetivo para lo cual los SRM sin ideales.

Por otro lado, recomiendo el 4G si quieres ser un artillero experto con el AC20. Cuesta aprender a explotar su fortaleza, pero al final se trata de un AC20 con patas con lo cual no hay que quebrarse mucho la cabeza a la hora de elegir que arma usar.

Puedo decir con seguridad que toda la magia que hoy hago con mi D-DC, equipado con un AC20 y un par de SRM se lo debo a la dolorosa pero satisfactoria practica con este par de Hunchies, con lo cual les tengo gran cariño y respeto.

I cant say it in english but i hope you understand something xD.

Edited by Ibram Cain, 23 December 2015 - 05:21 AM.

#100 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:17 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 15 December 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

edit: I'm loving it.

Quickdraw hero. >.>

How it was done:
AC/10 * 2, Large Laser * 1.
Sloooooooooow standard engine. 64.8 kph without tweak.
All but 2 armor forward on all torso sections. (Never let anything behind you; being so slow helps make this possible since you'll never be first in the field).

Tank like a bowse! Shoot like a bowse! Win like a boss.

Edited by Koniving, 23 December 2015 - 05:20 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users