Mwo World Championship

91 replies to this topic

#21 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:38 AM

I did have to roll my eyes and laugh at that particular part of the announcement I really did.

I thought they'd gotten over the whole puerile nonsense of "e-sports"

#22 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

View PostSadist Cain, on 12 December 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

I did have to roll my eyes and laugh at that particular part of the announcement I really did.

I thought they'd gotten over the whole puerile nonsense of "e-sports"

Why does it matter? Some people are going to get lucky enough to win real world money playing a video game. Doesn't really affect anyone other than those competing for it.

Edited by Bilbo, 12 December 2015 - 12:02 PM.

#23 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:44 AM

We've already had two real world money tournaments. They were just hosted by people other than PGI.

#24 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostDino Might, on 12 December 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

The 100k was just a make-believe number, right? They aren't actually going to have a six-figure prize pool for this, are they?
I am really quite sad that we are dumping all the money given to PGI into e-sport fantasies and not into making this a mechwarrior game. I haven't been on the bandwagon until now, that this is really becoming more COD with robots. Sad day...

Pretty sure a fair portion of the cost will be picked up by partners/sponsors. I doubt PGI is bearing the entire cost themselves.

#25 trevalion

• PipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

View Postvandalhooch, on 12 December 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Pretty sure a fair portion of the cost will be picked up by partners/sponsors. I doubt PGI is bearing the entire cost themselves.

This. I saw the seed designation. I hope it does work out and PGI are able to create partnerships as planned. I think I am as skeptical as the next person. Color me cautiously optimistic and supportive, while quietly continuing to queue. I would watch the streams though for sure.

#26 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:04 PM

This. Finally someone bright.

PGI is not paying that bills. It's the sponsors for visual representation of their brands during the event.

All the people saying the money is better used elsewhere are the same who ask why the Texture artist, who is doing the camos, can't add content and new gamemodes to CW.

#27 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

I hope so - I'm just wondering who is sponsoring this, then? If PGI were footing the bill, for 100k, they could get a kick-butt coder in there to work on nothing but fixes to game engine stuff we've been complaining about for a while.

Or they could hire a writer / cinematic guy and make some good CW cinematics, descriptions, and filler.

Just a lot they could do with that money they are getting from the mech packs, so hopefully the sponsors (whoever they would be) foot the whole bill.

Edited by Dino Might, 12 December 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#28 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

god what do you complain lets see hwo it turns out. it will add fun to many of the competitive scene, even if that may not be big.

#29 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

The 100k was just a make-believe number, right? They aren't actually going to have a six-figure prize pool for this, are they?
I am really quite sad that we are dumping all the money given to PGI into e-sport fantasies and not into making this a mechwarrior game. I haven't been on the bandwagon until now, that this is really becoming more COD with robots. Sad day...

At this point I have no idea. I think he might be serious.

I can't get a handle on this. The money seems ludicrous but I'm sure the winners will take it. I watched the live stream of the STEAM launch party for about 30 minutes and I saw grown men acting like trained monkeys to get 100 MC and 60,000 c-bills so I'm not gonna say that it won't happen anymore.

As to sponsors, I'm not sure MWO is big enough at this point to attract enough sponsors to foot a 100 grand prize, are they?

Edited by TLBFestus, 12 December 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#30 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

View PostBilbo, on 12 December 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Why does it matter. Some people are going to get lucky enough to win real world money playing a video game. Doesn't really affect anyone other than those competing for it.

It's the whole over hyped pro wrestling inspired formula which also completely fragments itself from the rest of the game.

After all the Battletech universe has it's own competition structure built in via solaris. Along with all the effort going into CW phase 3 it would've been rather pleasant to of seen the league based aspect conceived within the universe the game provides.

This would've provided a progression above and beyond CW for top tier units to duke it out along with fostering the competitive community within the game and letting it gain players, fans and popularity.
Players could've gone into Solaris via the client, see what matches are happening, maybe even spectate or watch past games via built in twitch streaming or some other such method.
All this could've very easily grown to what pgi hopes to achieve with their current formula whilst keeping a quality that sets itself closer to its community and apart from the crowd.

Instead we have yet another clone trying desperately to grab at the popularity of Dota and LoL when it could've taken on a much more original form whilst maintaining what makes those gaming leagues popular but with Mechwarrior flair and without having to distance the whole concept from the main playerbase.

Got no problem whatsoever with big flashy contests and prize money, tis rather groovey.

It's that moment when I hear "WELL TODD WE'VE GOT A HELL OF A MATCH UP TONIGHT Posted Image" that it's just cringeworthy to the point where I can't take it seriously in the slightest.

I just hope this guy doesn't find his way to the building...

As I said Im not exactly against the idea of competitive play, just finding its implementation into this game leaving an awful lot to be desired from what they're showing off.
We'll see how it goes though... Meanwhile, back to you in the studio Frank!

Edited by Sadist Cain, 12 December 2015 - 12:16 PM.

#31 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

It is a placeholder. Posted Image

#32 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

Even those positive are still falling short, this could actual bring in revenue. We all love the great spectator view vids of Smashy Robots blasting the hell out of each other. Threads going in into the depths of these vids whether trailers for something or the urbie vid. People like watching big machines wrecking stuff, specially other big machines. Never watched Monster Jam?

Right sponsors and product placement and viewers could out number registered players. The community its self could hype it on social media and do huge things for the game.

#33 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

View PostBilbo, on 12 December 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Why does it matter? Some people are going to get lucky enough to win real world money playing a video game. Doesn't really affect anyone other than those competing for it.

Because we now know the reason why PGI insists on having 4-Mech Clan Lances. Clan Lances!!! Posted Image

#34 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostSadist Cain, on 12 December 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

It's the whole over hyped pro wrestling inspired formula which also completely fragments itself from the rest of the game.

After all the Battletech universe has it's own competition structure built in via solaris. Along with all the effort going into CW phase 3 it would've been rather pleasant to of seen the league based aspect conceived within the universe the game provides.

what if this tourneament is just a probe to see how the community reacts to it and accepts it. If it's succesfull they may considering implementing a proper BT universe related environment ingame.

#35 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 12 December 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

what if this tourneament is just a probe to see how the community reacts to it and accepts it. If it's succesfull they may considering implementing a proper BT universe related environment ingame.

would be a nice idea, we'll have to see how it plays out.
Would be a bit disjointed though if they open with the typical MLG event styling to then attempt to switch it over to a battletech themed solaris league.
Can't help but feel that doing things the other way round would've been easier and more effective at gaining a large hardcore fan base that can then be opened up to a wider "MLG" crowd.

#36 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

More money not spent on fixing real issues. I find myself using the pts more and more and having fun there than in the live environment.

#37 Prc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires - Argentina

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

Make the game playable first fkn amateurs wannabe valve devs

#38 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

LOL @ those complaining about a tournament that will encourage the competitive scene to grow, which in turn will draw in more players due to the increased attention MWO will potentially get.
If you don't intend to compete, then you have nothing to complain about!.

#39 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

View PostTractor Joe, on 12 December 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

Even those positive are still falling short, this could actual bring in revenue. We all love the great spectator view vids of Smashy Robots blasting the hell out of each other. Threads going in into the depths of these vids whether trailers for something or the urbie vid. People like watching big machines wrecking stuff, specially other big machines. Never watched Monster Jam?

Right sponsors and product placement and viewers could out number registered players. The community its self could hype it on social media and do huge things for the game.

Ummm Currently Registered Players span in the 600k range the last time I looked. I am sorry but I do not see this coming even close. yet with 600k registered only 14k participated in the Turk event. While not all players that are active I am sure, it is still a great indicator of how low this population has gone since the game launched with well over 100k active players

View PostKHETTI, on 12 December 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

LOL @ those complaining about a tournament that will encourage the competitive scene to grow, which in turn will draw in more players due to the increased attention MWO will potentially get.
If you don't intend to compete, then you have nothing to complain about!.

I doubt it will have the degree of impact on the comp scene as you think. Sure a few more may pop up. But all in all, it will be the same ones we have now.

#40 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

View PostDino Might, on 12 December 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

I hope so - I'm just wondering who is sponsoring this, then? If PGI were footing the bill, for 100k, they could get a kick-butt coder in there to work on nothing but fixes to game engine stuff we've been complaining about for a while.

Or they could hire a writer / cinematic guy and make some good CW cinematics, descriptions, and filler.

Just a lot they could do with that money they are getting from the mech packs, so hopefully the sponsors (whoever they would be) foot the whole bill.

Pretty Safe bet that Nvidia is one of them, and with that large of a prize pool (no word of what % is cash awards though) I'd be surprised if they didn't get the Mechwarrior license owner (Microsoft) to pony up some of the prizes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users