#41 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:58 PM

View PostSadist Cain, on 12 December 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

would be a nice idea, we'll have to see how it plays out.
Would be a bit disjointed though if they open with the typical MLG event styling to then attempt to switch it over to a battletech themed solaris league.
Can't help but feel that doing things the other way round would've been easier and more effective at gaining a large hardcore fan base that can then be opened up to a wider "MLG" crowd.

Not sure competition is compettition, if you flavour it BT you will probably not have the hardcore BT fans there, becouse they are not very much the competitve gamercrowd. most of them are closer to lore and roleplay of the BT universe than actually competitive gaming. The MWO hardcore fans will join their beloved houses/clans and play their beloved mechs aqnd coquer planets. the comp. gamers do the touurnament stuff. Sure a few may be of both, but I doubt they have a big common mass.

#42 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

Yes we are.

Otherwise Stock Mech Mondays would never have been a thing.

And one of the larger non cash prize tourneys was 3025 era IS only.

#43 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

If they do it right then it will be a good investment for future growth of the game. I'm not saying it will be easy, but it's always a viable step in expanding a game's popularity.

#44 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 December 2015 - 07:03 AM, said:

Well... there's a lot to be said about this. I think the most interesting question is whether or not they'll handle the championship professionally, with good presentation of matches, good commentators, well handled spectator videos, good enough publicity on the website and social media, etc. Will the matches be available on YouTube for everyone to stay tuned, or will it just be a bunch of Twich streams with a few dozen people watching? Will this feel like a proper esports event, or will it be similar to earlier events, which were all a bit... amateur hour.

I was thinking on this last night. There is potential for a new and popular series. If it is done correctly. Commentary should not be a problem, Duncan Fisher would be the best choice.

The real challenge is filming. I was considering a motor race, and how many cameras there are, the fact that they all feed to a point, and then someone is directing what is shown and when. If that level of competence could be implemented, then we may potentially have a very popular series. May take someone like Richard Branson to invest in though, as it would be risky and I would think quite costly.

Another question is whether the huge cash prize will result in more innovative ways of cheating in the preliminary rounds.

Indeed, money brings the cheaters. Should not be too difficult. Maybe real-time monitoring ?

It's certainly a brave gamble. I don't know how I feel about $100,000 being squandered on this attempt to make MWO an esport and to gain some attention in the worldwide gaming community. For all the people arguing that we need to keep buying mech packs to keep the game alive, it may feel a bit pointless if this huge gamble doesn't pay in the end.

Indeed, but there will be sponsors......

It's also happening very soon, which I feel is kind of a mistake, because it gives experienced players less time to form new teams, and new players less time to get into the game.

Had to happen some time, I'm sure there will already be a dozen teams excitedly planning right now. New players will always be slow out of the gate, it is the nature of being new. Ultimately does not matter when, when considering this.

But now I guess we're going to get the answer to whether or not the über-1337 Steam player master race could destroy any MWO comp team, if they just had a few days of practice. That's pretty much been a myth on the forums for a while, so... we'll see if the big bad wolf finally arrives to steal our lunch money.

I have been surprised in the last couple of days. I have seen some very good tactical positioning I have not seen before in this game. It is very good to see.

#45 kanamisan

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:45 PM

Lets assume worse case scenario, they are paying for the prize pool itself. assuming average wage for a tech based job, your looking at one to two people's salary for one year going into this contest. (50-100k usd)

to be honest, its not that bad. that being said. I do hope solaris gets added, especially if they do more with it then just game modes. being able to build teams of players, earn in game sponsors, and offering rewards for seasonal tournaments. would be great. heck, having weekly events would really help keep it exciting.

#46 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

Well I guess at least some players will be able to re-coup the crazy amount of money they spend on pre-ordering their clan packs?

Didn't really see anything but possibly 4v4 that would make CW any more interesting to play, much less watch. Hopefully I'm actually wrong on this, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Is what it is, I've become part of the indifferent vet corps.

#47 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

Them making a tournament doesn't really stop them from developing the rest of the game.

#48 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

It's just part of the marketing budget really.

#49 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:48 PM

Well only time will tell. And uh, if any comp. units looking for "mercs" hit me a message. I haz comp experience Posted Image

#50 DaFrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • 421 posts
  • Locationmontreal

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

Whatever, it's gonna be exploiters against cheaters.
If it ever becomes serious, bookies in Vegas and Atlantic City will have money on it.
Right now I'm sure the stupidest gambler wouldn't put 2 cents on a tourney result involving this video game.

#51 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

View PostKira Onime, on 12 December 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

"world championship" .... game doesn't go outside of europe and NA.

The WWE World Heavyweight Championship belt does not go outside N/A. You have a PROBLEM WITH THAT KIRA?! lol

#52 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 12 December 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

The WWE World Heavyweight Championship belt does not go outside N/A. You have a PROBLEM WITH THAT KIRA?! lol

YES I ******* DO ......

but seriously... I don,t really agree with the term. I just find it stupid to call something "world championships" when you're ignoring more than half of said world.

#53 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

i think our aussie friends might disagree

#54 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:22 PM

Posted Image

View PostSandpit, on 12 December 2015 - 09:36 PM, said:

i think our aussie friends might disagree

I reckon all of us would. Posted Image Posted Image

#55 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 12 December 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

#56 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:28 PM

I hope it goes well, would love to see this game get big exposure

#57 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

View PostcSand, on 12 December 2015 - 10:28 PM, said:

I hope it goes well, would love to see this game get big exposure

hell with that, i wanna win the dam thing lol

#58 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:35 AM

View PostBilbo, on 12 December 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Why does it matter? Some people are going to get lucky enough to win real world money playing a video game. Doesn't really affect anyone other than those competing for it.

Huh?

Because there are limited assets, and I would rather they be spent on making a playable CW than stroking someone's ego. That is how it affects me whether I chose to compete or not.

Edited by Ted Wayz, 13 December 2015 - 01:37 AM.

#59 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:53 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 12 December 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

Not really IMHO this is a joke. Even with a $100,000 grand prize.

MWO will NEVER be the E-Sport Russ want's it to be. This mentality is one of the things killing this game. If they would put that on the back burner and actually start adding in CONTENT then maybe just maybe we would get more people.

The latest Turk Results show just how low our population really is. How many comp units were there?

I mean there are over what 500k people registered to play this game and we can not even break 20K? Hell there were 75k founders alone.

Until PGI realizes this game need more than mech packs, the E-Sports will never happen.

Well that's why they announced the mega big wave 3 community warfare

#60 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

Here's a question -

How are they going to ensure that everyone is playing on a level field concerning system settings?

Just saying that concerning tournaments and people exploiting parts of the game's visual design to get into the finals of them is going to be an area of contention.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users