- - - - -

New Stalker

23 replies to this topic

#1 Archang31

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:43 AM

I recently got this game and have played a little bit and have fallen into the style of a long range missile laser boat. I've been already made a few purchases and currently have:
Stalker 5m
std 255 engine
2 lrm 15's
2 er LL's
2md lasers
tag
BAP
and artemis (IV (or at least I think it's four))
(this seems to be the standard way to list mech builds based on the threads I've seen so far)

just wondering how good this build is, and what i should do to embetter it. I'm pretty happy with the build so far and am happy to receive any tips to gameplay. thx!

#2 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

The only problem i see and this is for me personally is you are SLOW!, we are talking slow as a direwolf slow. but if that doesnt bother you and without seeing the actual build it sounds fine. Not sure how much ammo you have, how many double heatsinks you are running etc etc. but if you solo drop at all be prepared to get eaten by lights accosionally just from the nascar mindset in pugs, you will get left behind and killed once in a while.

#3 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:16 AM

From this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...08a74ca2c0fa56d
To perhaps
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4d72f9452de1b7c

Getting left behind is no fun, although stalkers don't have that high speed to begin with.

or a slight craziness
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...db1d1074fa0b8f3

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 15 December 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

At that speed, and with that load out, I would make sure you have a battle buddy (or two). If a wolf pack of lights (or more likely a couple of Cheetah's) catch the line of your ER lasers or LRMs they will be on you like flies on... When that happens and it will happen (a lot) you lack the speed or weapons to fight them off.

If you are going to run such a slow mech, you will get left behind in most pug matches. As such I don't see a lot of value in the TAG since your teammates will inevitably spot for you if by no other circumstance than that they will be well in front of you. For the same reason, you might want to drop the BAP too, though it will give you a heads up if an ECM flanker is trying to sneak up on you, not that you will be able to do a whole lot about it (which is why I would consider dropping it). Use tonnage for extra ammo or HS (or even better, more engine).

#5 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:23 AM

This build is neither fish nor fowl. But maybe that´s exactly what you were trying to accomplish. In German we have a great word for this: Die "EierlegendeWollMilchSau" or the "Egglaying-wool-milk-sow" :D. So basically a theoretical animal that produces everything a farmer could wish for. My advice would be to focus on the part of your build you enjoy the most.

For instance: LRM. If you like Lurming, try to use 4-5 LRM10 instead of LRM15. LRM15 is not that efficient tonnagewise. For 4-5 LRM10 you would at least need like 7-9t of ammo and you can use the spare slots of your mech for ML, BAP etc. Alternatively you can use the 5M as a SRM brawling machine. I don´t know what happened to to it in the quik department but a while ago it was a SRM beast. If you are going to try SRMing, you should defintely increase the engine-capacity. Mobility is key as a brawler.

If you like pew-pew-pewing, you can buy the 4N, put a big Engine in it (STD300+) and 6LL. Believe me, that thing rocks! ;)

#6 Archang31

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:24 AM

Here is my current mech, went to smurfy's mechlab and recreated it. thx for feedback I'll see what I can do. I still have plenty of C-bills from the cadet bonuses so I should be able to do some decent modding.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0aea0d8f192f936

#7 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:28 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c8c541c8311bd5c

You would leave the ERLL for some close range protection (MPL).
Still would have plenty ammo for the LRMs and would not stay behind so easily.

#8 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostArchang31, on 15 December 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

Here is my current mech, went to smurfy's mechlab and recreated it. thx for feedback I'll see what I can do. I still have plenty of C-bills from the cadet bonuses so I should be able to do some decent modding.

Good build but it still needs some optimising. I'd recommend dropping 3 of the DHS and get 2 or 3 more tons of ammo, from there you want to upgrade to Endo Steel and with the freed up weight to get a heavier engine.

#9 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

If it were me I would upgrade to endo and a 300 STD. Also LRM15s are not good for most Stalkers as their max tube per salvo is ten(and six for the torso ports).

Something like 2x LRM10 + 3x LRM5 would be good. You could still keep a TAG in the arm but I would lose the BAP.

Edited by Spheroid, 15 December 2015 - 09:05 AM.

#10 Famous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 117 posts
  • LocationProbably stuck at work

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

These builds make me cringe a bit being a Stalker pilot myself. You should not be putting anything larger than an LRM5 in the torso, you only have 6 missile tubes there. What that means is that your LRM15s are firing 6, 6, 3 inn a chain, which is basically using a CLRM without the advantages. Try something like this:

STK-5M

You're rocking 3xLRM5s, 2xLRM10s (in the arms with 10 tubes) and 4xMPLs for close range defense. You've got enough ammo and heat sinks to make it through a solo match with ease. Just walk forward while raining LRMs then use your MPLs to scare off Lights or finish off the wounded.

Also check your keybindings, find the one for Open Missile Bays and set that to something easy to use. Open them at the start of the game and don't close them until you're out of ammo. Having them closed adds .5s to the firing time of the LRMs in your arms.

Edited by Famous, 15 December 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:15 AM

View PostFamous, on 15 December 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

Also check your keybindings, find the one for Open Missile Bays and set that to something easy to use. Open them at the start of the game and don't close them until you're out of ammo. Having them closed adds .5s to the firing time of the LRMs in your arms.

having them closed also adds extra armor to the "arms", I think it is something like 15% extra

#12 Famous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:17 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 15 December 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

having them closed also adds extra armor to the "arms", I think it is something like 15% extra

This is also true, but in the case of the Stalker and it's "arms" I've always found the reward of 35 missiles in one volley higher than the risk of damage. You actually have to aim to hit the arms on a Stalker, much more likely to lose the whole ST than just the arm. But that's my experience YMMV obviously.

EDIT: While we're on the topic of LRMs just because you have a 1000m range does not mean you should be firing at that range. Flight time is real and if you can't maintain the lock until the missiles hit you're more than likely missing. Unless you have someone on your team that is using a TAG or NARC you really want to be in the 300-700m range, ideally with a visual lock on the target. This increases the likelihood of your missiles hitting the target, gets the spread reduction from Artemis, and let's you share some armor with your teammates. While you do have to keep the 180m minimum in mind there is something very special about watching the missiles dive in at someone who thought sitting 200m away would keep them safe.

Edited by Famous, 15 December 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#13 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

Slow isn't an issue if you're moving with your other fatties. As one other said earlier, "Dire Wolf" slow, you're an assault just like the Dire lol

STK-5M
That's one of my all-time favorite builds in that mech

STK-5M
This is a good suppression and long range support mech

STK-5M
a fun one to run around in

There's a lot of combos for the Stalker. It can just about fill any role you want. It's one of the most versatile mechs in the game in my opinion.

#14 Famous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

Thanks to Sandpit there for posting up his builds I know why my previously posted build looked wrong, I'd forgotten the CT MPL. Revised version of the MPL/LRM boat:

STK-5M

The Stalker really is an incredibly versatile Mech as I hope you can tell from the variety of builds posted here. I prefer the Misery to the 5M, but only by a little bit. I think my best statistical game came in the 5M using an ASRM6 build, it's dangerously close ranged, but eats faces if you time it right.

#15 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

This is what i have run...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e5ae12a5b961f6a

an LRM build.. a bit slower, but can do fairly well short ranged too.Nice DPS, and heat works well, as when you are close you are not using the LRM's.. Unless you are in the 200-400m range, but you can stop firing them when you get hot..

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...70dfc427e1f8e67

SRM+medium pulse brawler.. a bit faster, and most weapons are on your left side.. so protect it.. Good amount of ammo, and BAP for that pesky ECM, You could drop the Bap, add a heat sink and an extra half ton.. But being a brawler in todays game is tough for slower mechs and needs team work.

This mech, is a beast, has a very nice alpha, and has some pretty killer DPS too when you get hot. Just make sure you have a chain fire setting for your pulse lasers when you run hot..

You could also try a large pulse or large laser + a pair of SRM's in the left side..

Pack the SRM's close as you can to reduce spread.. Another option is to go with large lasers, and use 4 SRM 4 launchers spread across your mech, and launch in pairs.

another stalker, i think the 3F, i run a pair of LRM10's, and pair of 4's with out artemis, and medium lasers and a big honking engine with as many heat sinks as i can fit..

Edited by JC Daxion, 15 December 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

View PostFamous, on 15 December 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

Thanks to Sandpit there for posting up his builds I know why my previously posted build looked wrong, I'd forgotten the CT MPL. Revised version of the MPL/LRM boat:

STK-5M

The Stalker really is an incredibly versatile Mech as I hope you can tell from the variety of builds posted here. I prefer the Misery to the 5M, but only by a little bit. I think my best statistical game came in the 5M using an ASRM6 build, it's dangerously close ranged, but eats faces if you time it right.

Honeslty, drop the aretmis, and add a BAP, swap one of the MPL's in the arm for a tag, and add double heat sinks. Just shave the legs down to 65 from max to make it all fit.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b39f1c6e5c18e1 Alpha drops a tiny bit, But DPS and heat efficiency go way up, So much you should really notice a huge difference in how well it plays

LRM10's and 5's really don't need artemis.. 6's and 15's/20's are when it really helps You will up your DPS a good amount, and make that mech able to brawl with your 4 MPLs

the tag will help with long range targeting, and the bap shorter.. Should work better all around and be more team helpful with the extra tools. Try it, you won't be sorry Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 15 December 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#17 Famous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:12 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 15 December 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

Good Recommendations

I leave the Artemis on because of the ASRM6 build and I hate paying to remove things that will be added back on later. Also OP has Artemis so trying to show him builds that won't cost him as much hopefully.

I usually only break out the LRM build when I need to post up high damage numbers for an event. SRM brawler is significantly more enjoyable to me.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

View PostArchang31, on 15 December 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

just wondering how good this build is, and what i should do to embetter it. I'm pretty happy with the build so far and am happy to receive any tips to gameplay. thx!

Seems like a good support build. Hang back, follow other assaults from behind, lob missiles and fire lasers and when getting close use the medium lase

I use a minimum 280 engine in my Stalkers and go up to 310.

The "quirks" are non-weapon specific, so you can trade the ER LLs for LLs for a significant heat reduction. The reduced beam time from the change in weapon in addition to the reduced beam time quirk will be a huge difference for you too!

The LRMs can get extra range from the quirks. Though if you can fit them, try sporting some Streaks in the empty slots as a great anti-pest weapon.

Remember that Stalkers benefit more from more balanced armor layouts than their cousins. Make sure you have a good amount of rear armor in addition to front armor. The usual 2 or 8 or 12 armor rear doesn't work here.

#19 Archang31

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostKoniving, on 15 December 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

Seems like a good support build. Hang back, follow other assaults from behind, lob missiles and fire lasers and when getting close use the medium lase

I use a minimum 280 engine in my Stalkers and go up to 310.

The "quirks" are non-weapon specific, so you can trade the ER LLs for LLs for a significant heat reduction. The reduced beam time from the change in weapon in addition to the reduced beam time quirk will be a huge difference for you too!

The LRMs can get extra range from the quirks. Though if you can fit them, try sporting some Streaks in the empty slots as a great anti-pest weapon.

Remember that Stalkers benefit more from more balanced armor layouts than their cousins. Make sure you have a good amount of rear armor in addition to front armor. The usual 2 or 8 or 12 armor rear doesn't work here.

Thank you for the advice, just found out that quote does the replying here. I'll take what you said about the quirks under closer consideration. What's the greatest difference between ERLL's and LL's? Is it just range? That's the main reason I picked them up, was so that they would remain viable at missile range if I had line of sight. Also on the subject of missiles, do I need to keep target lock with LRM's in order for them to hit? I've noticed that I often miss and they be to me locking on to targets only my allies can see. Still trying to learn the nuances of the game, as it is so involved but so very fun. Posted Image

#20 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:40 AM

View PostArchang31, on 15 December 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

Stalker's side torso only have 6 missile tube, so your LRM15 will be launching in a wave of 6,6,3 missiles. The arm have 10 tube but will still launch missile in wave of 10,5.

STK-5M
Staying close to spirit of your build.
Suggest replacing the LRM15As with a pair of LRM10A in the arms.
Downgrade the ERLL or standard Large for better heat, and with the new bigger engine, you can close the distance faster.
1 ton of AMS ammo is usually sufficient unless you have dual AMS, swap it for extra ton of LRM ammo.
Upgrade to Endo Steel so you can pack a STD 300 engine for more speed and agility, and beef up your amour.

The down side of this build is that all your weapon are in the arms, if you lost them you will have no combat capability. Then again, if someone is close enough to shot off your arms, the LRM15s in the side torso isn't going to improve the situation either.

The new build offers:
10kph more speed
80 point more amour
180 more missile, total of 900 missile(45 shots of LRM10 x2)
Lower firepower but the same DPS
Slightly better heat

This build is a second line fire support.
You should stay about 300m from the frontline where all your weapon range overlaps, with some friendlies between you and the enemy. Try not to fall behind beyond 500m where you will be vulnerable to flanking by light mechs.
The Large Lasers and LRM10As will be your primary weapons, the Medium Laser are for when you are running hot. Putting out less damage is better than shutdown not dealing damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users