Any Lpl Mediums Out There?

25 replies to this topic

#1 DreXav

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

Hey lads, returning player here.

I came back just to find out my beloved LPL Wubverine lost it's LPL quirks.

Are there any viable medium LPL wub builds nowdays?

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

Lots.

First, coming in at 40 tons is the Cicada 3M with 2LPL is a go to tonnage filler for CW. ECM and running an XL 300 gets you moving to a 130KPH. You can do this sort of thing with most of the cicadas.

Next, at 45 tons, we have the Black Jack. They can all do an LPL build but the 3LPL Arrow is always a hit (I think an XL 210?) gets you moving at about 87 KPH plus room for some jump jets and AMS. Since the last quirk pass I have seen 2LPL plus mixed smaller lasers on the 1x as well.

At 50 tons, my favorite 3LPL build is a Crab (you can do this on any but one of them has PL range quirks) with an XL275 you are running at 95KPH with room for an AMS if desired.

At 55 the Wolverine and Griffin can run LPLs but they are not ideal ( I run 1 Griffin 2n with a standard 275, 1LPL and 3SRM4s).

I am sure there are others, but these are mine.

Edited by Bud Crue, 16 December 2015 - 12:30 PM.

#3 DreXav

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

Cheers, Bud Crue, gonna give some of those a try.

Keep 'em coming, guys!

#4 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

Shadowhawk 2K with 3 L-Pulse Laser is great. High mounted weapons and good for poking if you want

#5 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

The Centurion CN9-AL is pretty good for triple LPL now- 15% energy cooldown, -20% heat gen, -20% laser duration.

#6 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

I run my Griffin Hero Sparky most of the time with 3 LPL and XL280. Fast, maneuverable, jumpy decent punch. One of my premier money earners.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostDarthHias, on 16 December 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

I run my Griffin Hero Sparky most of the time with 3 LPL and XL280. Fast, maneuverable, jumpy decent punch. One of my premier money earners.

Doh! How could I forget Sparky! Yes 3LPL or variants including 2-1LPL mixed with ML/MPL are all fun. I prefer 1LPL in the arm and fill the torsos with mediums.

Edited by Bud Crue, 16 December 2015 - 03:09 PM.

#8 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:51 PM

My second take on the Griffin is two big energy weapons in the side torsos, either PPCs or LPL for hillhumping complimented by 4 MLas in the arms for tracking lights and IS Lazor vomit in brawls Posted Image

#9 DreXav

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:47 AM

Thanks everyone, I will check them out - Cicadas and Black Jacks caught my eye. Got the free Cicada and having good matches with 4 kills/400-700 damage so far, so that might be working! Though maybe it would work better with 4 MPLs instead.

Curious how's Black Jack, so gonna get those next.

Edited by DreXav, 18 December 2015 - 08:17 AM.

#10 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

View PostDreXav, on 18 December 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

Thanks everyone, I will check them out - Cicadas and Black Jacks caught my eye. Got the free Cicada and having good matches with 4 kills/400-700 damage so far, so that might be working! Though maybe it would work better with 4 MPLs instead.

Cicadas have larger hitboxes than lights so brawling with 4mpls is normally a death wish.

#11 HelBound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:08 AM

BlackJack Arrow, Cicada and my current favourite the 3LPL Wolverine.

I prefer running 2 LPL and 2 ML on a few Cicada's

Sparky runs 6mpl with JJ, get in tare **** up and get out. Not sure how the 3 LPL compare against heat.

Edited by HelBound, 18 December 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#12 Brian Davion

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostDreXav, on 18 December 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

free Cicada?

#13 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

Barring the obvious Wuberine, and the Arrow, I run my 3F like this:

CDA-3F(L)

Only one LPL, but still pretty nice. And with 8 JJ, that thing absolutely FLIES: there are no barriers you can't leap.

#14 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

I've seen a lot of people using BJ-3 with LPL. I personally prefer it with twin PPCs but lots of people like the extra DPS of LPLs.

#15 DreXav

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

View PostBrian Davion, on 18 December 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

free Cicada?

Yea, Cicada 3F champion with custom camo. Maybe it's some anniversary thing, like the cake cockpit items I have got...

#16 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:40 PM

I can vouch for the Blackjack. Personally I kinda prefer it with 2 LPL + 3 meds, but both the BJ-3 and BJ-1X can run 3x LPL. The SCR and HBK-IIC can as well.

I also prefer my CDA-3M with 2x LPL over almost any other build. Works on the Shadow Cat, too.

Edited by Tarogato, 19 December 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#17 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:55 AM

View PostDreXav, on 19 December 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

Yea, Cicada 3F champion with custom camo. Maybe it's some anniversary thing, like the cake cockpit items I have got...

It was a "loyalty" bonus for buying certain things over the course of the first year (or two?). You got the Cicada for one rank, a Nova for another rank.

#18 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

Are you married to IS mechs, or willing to consider Clan tech? Cuz the new HBK-II-C-A (I think it's the A?) has 8 E hard points, and can handle 3x Clan LPLs with heat sinks, jump jets, and respectable speed. Put those LPLs in the shoulder hunches, or at least ONE of them (it stacks the first two lasers in the top of the hunch, looks like), and you can hill hump it.

Storm Crow can hang a couple of them in the side torsos. MIGHT be able to stick three in there with some sort of backup. Haven't tried it yet.

Shadow Cat can do 2x with adequate heat sinks and a little backup (I like the -P LA omni with 3x Clan MG and a ton of ammo), while humping ECM and MASC, running around 100 km/h or so after speed tweak, and also workin' six jump jets for some high-jumping fun (one of a few that can vault to the top of the wall on HPG Manifold, and snipe from up there ALL DAY LONG BABY).

I'm sure the Nova can do something with them, too.

Lots of fun, those Clan mechs. Fewer good quirks by far, though.

For what it's worth, some TDR builds are about as fast as an average IS medium, and are quirked for LPLs.

#19 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

I am a huge fan of the CRB-SL - with an XL300, 4 JJs, 2 LPL, 3 MPL? This thing is a beast. @104kph with speed tweak, a 40 damage Alpha (Or use the LPLs for longer range poking) that's reasonably pinpoint due to being Pulse Lasers, excellent jump range. You're maneuverable as hell.

I could see swapping to 3 MLs for some more Heatsinks or a bigger engine. Or even dropping to a 280XL for more Heat Sinks. But seriously, I'm loving this mech.

#20 DreXav

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:20 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 21 December 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Are you married to IS mechs, or willing to consider Clan tech? Cuz the new HBK-II-C-A (I think it's the A?) has 8 E hard points, and can handle 3x Clan LPLs with heat sinks, jump jets, and respectable speed. Put those LPLs in the shoulder hunches, or at least ONE of them (it stacks the first two lasers in the top of the hunch, looks like), and you can hill hump it.

Married to IS indeed ; ] but thank you for suggestions anyway!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users