#41 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 17 December 2015 - 02:43 PM, said:

There is a degree of skill, after all you do have to score well to get on the board! But you are spot on, you can inflate the hell out of the stats with a lot of games, just trying to get those 10 lucky matches.. ..not to mention its easy enough for groups to band together and fix matches for players.. ..as we saw on the 77k match score CW match that was posted up during that event..
Personally think the formula can stay, but you get a modifier for the number of matches you play so if say get 10 out of 100 matchs 1000+, this will place you higher than 10 out of 1000. This would also be offset by your general match scores. So a player with an avg of 600 that gets 10 1000+ matches would rank LOWER than a player that has an avg of 700 that gets 10 1000+ matches.

Yeah, the degree of skill becomes minor when you're just looking for those 10 amazing lucky matches, where things just fall into place.

We'll have to disagree on the scoring system. Personally, I think it just needs to die. I think it should be an average of your in-game match score of all matches with the qualifying mech. That doesn't just show your best spikes, but instead shows your overall average performance . . . which is a far better qualifier of actual skill than your 10 best matches . . . out of potentially hundreds of matches, no less.

It falls into the saying, "Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn." Even a mediocre player who knocks out hundreds of matches throughout a weekend will still be able to pull out 10 matches with good "scores" under this system, if luck shines upon them. Could that get them to place? Sure. Is it an actual testament to their overall skill? Not really. On the other hand, a consistently good performer is going to get far better results in an average score system than someone who relies on getting a few lucky matches over a weekend of hundreds of matches.

As you even pointed out . . . no matter what . . . sadly the system can be rigged if people put the scheming into it. However, while rigging one match might be a chore that gets someone some results . . . you can't rig an entire weekend of playing if you average out the scores.

#42 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostSereglach, on 17 December 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

Yeah, the degree of skill becomes minor when you're just looking for those 10 amazing lucky matches, where things just fall into place.

We'll have to disagree on the scoring system. Personally, I think it just needs to die. I think it should be an average of your in-game match score of all matches with the qualifying mech. That doesn't just show your best spikes, but instead shows your overall average performance . . . which is a far better qualifier of actual skill than your 10 best matches . . . out of potentially hundreds of matches, no less.

It falls into the saying, "Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn." Even a mediocre player who knocks out hundreds of matches throughout a weekend will still be able to pull out 10 matches with good "scores" under this system, if luck shines upon them. Could that get them to place? Sure. Is it an actual testament to their overall skill? Not really. On the other hand, a consistently good performer is going to get far better results in an average score system than someone who relies on getting a few lucky matches over a weekend of hundreds of matches.

As you even pointed out . . . no matter what . . . sadly the system can be rigged if people put the scheming into it. However, while rigging one match might be a chore that gets someone some results . . . you can't rig an entire weekend of playing if you average out the scores.

You don't think playing 100 hours in 5 days is a skill? Some people have bad hand-eye coordination and substitute determination. I miss the 2012/2013 tournaments where EVERY match was included and I first heard the term "poop-sock" used where someone wasn't kidding as far as I can tell.

Any person with blessed genetics and good hardware can be a "good pilot". It takes guts to wreck your life and endanger your marriage for the sake of getting your name on a leaderboard.

WVA

#43 Eagle01

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

I've got a question about the leader board rewards. If say you rank within the Top 10 for each Marauder variant, do you receive 20,000,000 cbills or still just 5,000,000 cbills? or lets say you rank within the Top 50 for the Hunchback 4P (S) and within the Top 50 of the Stormcrow Prime (s) as well. Do you get both the Cameron star and Clan dagger cockpit items?

#44 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

Great advanced notice on christmas stocking stuffin event.

great if event paired with cbill mech sale for "older" mechs.

would be the best way to end the year.

#45 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 17 December 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

15 minute delay usually.

that'll drive me insane.

#46 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

ah jeez, i gotta work 9 days in a row up to christmas too, then i get 3 days off. hopefully i'l get some MWO grind in here and there to unwind from the work grind...

#47 TheIrishCurse

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

Weird; the website tracker is saying I have met some of the challenges, but I don't have the items in game, and yeah it's been like 45 minutes.

#48 Volts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

Screwed for me too, 30 minutes later challenge page is not reflecting my wins or gains.

#49 TheIrishCurse

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

Seems to be my problem also.

#50 Lbofun

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I should not be.

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:06 PM

I as well.

#51 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

Urgh now i'm in a never ending look of Assault matches. Oh what i'd do to get and win a conquest match.

#52 Lbofun

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:35 PM

I have my matches so now I just choose conquest

#53 Lbofun

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:45 PM

So I just got my 1 day premium time for the Assault challenge, but the time for skirmish and the dropship cockpit item still have not shown.

#54 Crashburn

• PipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:52 PM

So has anyone else who finished the personal reward challenges for this event, not received the paint colors in their account yet. I finished the match score portion of the challenge hours ago, yet I still haven't been awarded the paint into my account. Has anyone else noticed this glitch? Or am I the only one?

#55 TheIrishCurse

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:06 PM

I haven't gotten the paint, .50 Cal, or the dropship.

#56 DoRkcHoPs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 180 posts
  • LocationFederal Way, WA

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:15 PM

HEY PGI LETS HAVE A TOURNAMENT SALE?

#57 Lbofun

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

So it looks like there was an hour window glitch that if you completed a challenge in that time you did not get it. I have gotten everything now but the dropship and 1 Day time.

#58 AbyssalTyrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

Still waiting on my stuff would suck to lose MC the speakers and colors because of it.

#59 TheIrishCurse

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostLbofun, on 17 December 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

So it looks like there was an hour window glitch that if you completed a challenge in that time you did not get it. I have gotten everything now but the dropship and 1 Day time.

SO can we go back and redo it?

#60 Lbofun

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

That I do not know.
Still missing those two rewards

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users