#1 Zink1701

• PipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 99 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:30 AM

Hi, a lot of the time I get frame drops for a split second, usually when I'm about to turn (in or out of combat) or shooting. It only happens when playing MWO and it does this 4-5 times a match. All other games run perfect.

Vid here (its only 5 seconds long so please take a look and click watch in HD), frame drops to 30 ish for a split second when shooting

https://www.facebook...66062943683402/

It has always done this,

Specs:

I had a gtx 680 now I have a gtx 980 ti.

8GB Ram

i5 2500k (same issue if O/C or not

Antec truepower 600w PSU (same issue when testing with another PSU)

Changed from win7 to 10 and was a clean install. Also OS is on an SSD (problem still there)

Things I have tried:

Makes no difference what graphic settings I use or VSync on or off (it does happen less frequent on lower settings but still same issue).

Drivers up to date

Anti virus on or off (still the same).

Lean boot with just essential programs (still the same).

Tried a PSU out of another machine (still the same)

Installed to SSD (still the same)

Steam or no steam (still the same)

Changed operating system (still the same)

I have put up with this shite for too long now so please can anyone help explain what the **** is going on. If its game related then fair enough but I need to be sure its not my machine causing this issue.

Thank you ever so much for any help. Best regards Zink1701.

EDIT: I have also stripped down my machine and cleaned out any dust ect, CPU and GPU temps are fine. Also recording makes no difference with this issue. Voltages are stable and GPU is split over 2 12v rails.

Edit 2: My router is a bog standard Virgin media (UK) wireless router. I am using Ethernet though not wireless. It also makes no difference if I turn off wireless and I whether or not I'm only person using the net in our house. Net speeds (tested with speedtest.net) Ping: 8ms DL: 62.4 Mbps UL: 2.65 Mbps

Edited by Zink1701, 23 December 2015 - 03:48 AM.

#2 FanTheManButSecretlyAwoman

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:47 AM

Sadly this is something you get with most online multiplayers.

There where you get dips pay attention to your hardware monitors and you will notice that your GPU usage will go down and CPU usage go up (especially core 1)

Overclocking helps and your 2500K can easely run at 4,6ghz or higher if you got the cooling and know what your doing.

You can never get rid of the dips completely Posted Image

Dont pay attention to the people coming in with crappy systems saying they have 60FPS all the time, its a lie !

Edited by Fannyclacker, 23 December 2015 - 03:48 AM.

#3 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:16 AM

64 or 32 bit client? Direct3D 9 or 11? MWO had freezing problem in the past, but I haven't been experiencing it for a long time already. My system is 3 years old and I don't have any problems with playing with all setting set to Ultra.
Posted Image

Edited by MrMadguy, 23 December 2015 - 04:18 AM.

#4 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:27 AM

I had this issue a year ago and it started again recently when I've been playing for a while, trying to scour my mind as to what fixed it, what I keep remembering was something about Ram, might or might not be what I found to be the solution.
Am currently not home to try and fix it, but what I remembered was one of the things I tried is resocketing the ram.

#5 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:42 AM

Turn off cockpit glass.

#6 Zink1701

• PipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 99 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 23 December 2015 - 04:16 AM, said:

64 or 32 bit client? Direct3D 9 or 11? MWO had freezing problem in the past, but I haven't been experiencing it for a long time already. My system is 3 years old and I don't have any problems with playing with all setting set to Ultra.
Posted Image

Im using the 64 bit client and DX11

View PostSkoll, on 23 December 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

Turn off cockpit glass.

The glass is turned off

View PostEuklides, on 23 December 2015 - 04:27 AM, said:

I had this issue a year ago and it started again recently when I've been playing for a while, trying to scour my mind as to what fixed it, what I keep remembering was something about Ram, might or might not be what I found to be the solution.
Am currently not home to try and fix it, but what I remembered was one of the things I tried is resocketing the ram.

I literally stripped my machine down, removed motherboard and all components and give them a blow out with compressed air. Everything is seated correct and cleaning out made no difference :(

#7 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

Make sure MSAA is turned off. In fact, i wouldn't have any Anti-Aliasing on (maybe Post AA), if you are getting hit hard in FPS.

#8 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

You have all default settings in nVidia control panel?

Did you uninstall that crappy nVidia experience too? I have had that thing just f**k up many games.

Oh yes, one more thing. Windows power profile set to high performance?

Your OS is on an SSD. Is MWO? Sometimes with an SSD have a mechanical HDD for data etc... but if you are loading MWO from a separate HDD, especially a 5400rpm HDD, you can get a stutter sometimes if loading from the slow HDD into memory (textures, effects, etc).

nvm just read the ssd part, ignore the last bit there about hdds.

What speed is your RAM?

Also, is your graphics card in the PCIe x16 slot? Any other PCIe cards plugged in there?

Edited by cSand, 23 December 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#9 Zink1701

• PipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 99 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

View PostcSand, on 23 December 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

You have all default settings in nVidia control panel?

Did you uninstall that crappy nVidia experience too? I have had that thing just f**k up many games.

Oh yes, one more thing. Windows power profile set to high performance?

Are you running off an SSD? If not, how big is your page file for Windows? You get get a stutter sometimes if loading from a slow HDD the first time

Tried both SSD and HDD still the same and all settings are default also its set to high performance. I will try uninstall Gforce and see what happens

#10 Zink1701

• PipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 99 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

Right I had another look and moved the page file off my SDD to my HDD, I also turned off automatic and set it to 10Gig. Bingo problem solved I think. Just had a game and there was no stuttering (odd frame drop but not like that micro freezing bs) FFS all this time and simple as that.

I want to say a big thanks to you all for the help. I have been pulling my hair out for ages now.

Thanks again you guys are awesome :)

#11 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostZink1701, on 23 December 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

Right I had another look and moved the page file off my SDD to my HDD, I also turned off automatic and set it to 10Gig. Bingo problem solved I think. Just had a game and there was no stuttering (odd frame drop but not like that micro freezing bs) FFS all this time and simple as that.

I want to say a big thanks to you all for the help. I have been pulling my hair out for ages now.

Thanks again you guys are awesome Posted Image

lol!
Shoulda left the pagefile part in, eh :D

Hopefully it stays solid for you :D

#12 fogsworth

• PipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

This speeds up texture loading quite a bit.

sys_LocalMemoryGeometryStreamingSpeedLimit = x
sys_LocalMemoryTextureStreamingSpeedLimit = x
sys_streaming_max_bandwidth = x

open cmd as administrator, and x is output of "winsat mem".

#13 Iron Bee

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

I know digging in a grave is bad but so is my FPS...
I have a Packard Bell with AMD Radeon CPU Quad core and the FPS never jumped higher that 17FPS???
I tried the razer cortex booster didn't help at all. So I was wondering how could I get a better flow from my machine?
Because for the moment I'm playing as if I had drunk lots of spacebeers...

Thanks for the help and sorry for digging this topic out of it's grave.

#14 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

the Quad core processor is the most likely culprit. This game is stupid amounts of processor heavy for what it actually delivers.

#15 Iron Bee

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:55 AM

What could I do to make the quadcore work smoothly?

I heard that MWO had problems sharing data among CPUs and that it mirrored most of it on multi-core processors
(read on a post of 2013). Did that part get better since or should I dig more into it?

I don't really expect to achieve 60FPS ith this machine but around 30FPS should make it more easy when playing lights or brawl...

#16 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:27 AM

View Postsycocys, on 23 March 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

the Quad core processor is the most likely culprit. This game is stupid amounts of processor heavy for what it actually delivers.

interesting because my cores never get about 40% used and my CPU temps stay low. However I can sure hear my video card's fans blowing....They are over clocked though...

Edited by mogs01gt, 24 March 2016 - 04:27 AM.

#17 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:57 AM

I have an i5-3470, GTX660 and 8GB ram and have no issues running the game smoothly at a steady 60-70fps. Sure I get the odd dip and stutter to the 40-50's but that's to be expected from a 2 year old box that was mid-range at the time.

I run with all settings very high, AA off, 1920x1080 resolution, 64-bit client and DX9 (slightly better fps than DX11). As suggested by someone else, the frame rate drops could be related to network latency or something else as opposed to your raw PC performance.

#18 Iron Bee

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:12 AM

The funny thing is that I checked performance on other games and I found that War thunder delivers at minimum 70FPS and most of the time I am over 100FPS... So I know my rig can deliver... I might try and go for directX9 see if it does improve anything. For the network latency I believe it should have an impact on all my games?

#19 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:16 AM

Quick question before I tweak my DirectX from 11 to 9, will it effect quality much? And if so, what fields of quality since I run across the board medium settings but high texture and high object detail

#20 Iron Bee

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:24 AM

I tried the directX9 change and it didn't solve much to my FPS problem...
I believe that you might be right on the Network problem... Could it be on the PGI servers side??
the reason I believe this is that I tried cabled network and it didn't change anything .

Game symptoms:

- The login window indicate a 60FPS (constant)
- The little loading reticule (top left corner) seems to be rubber banding.
- During an aerial drop my mech seems to hit and bounce off the shuttles doors.
- During matches nobody teleports but I get a stutter in mech movements.
- All settings on low and I only get 12-15 FPS
- Have run repair file and no changes to problem.
- Reinstalled game, no improvements either.

Next step:How can I test my connection with PGI servers to assess if it is the source of the lag?

Edited by Iron Bee, 29 March 2016 - 07:29 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users