73 replies to this topic

#21 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

sorry, this is no mmorpg, this is just a mmo.

for it to be a mmorpg, it should have a persistant world in which you wander around and do things you wanna do (like in your examples WoW, etc.). beeing able to do actual ROLE PLAYING what is in the title "mmorpg". here you get thrown into a battle for like 15-20 mins (guessing) and then it is over and you find yourself sitting in your mechhangar again.

otherwise games like World of Tanks would be a mmorpg as well, which they aren`t. only difference is, that you only have one avatar in this game instead of multiple tanks.

you may want it to be an mmorpg, but it simply is too "simple" (i don`t mean that in a bad way).

#22 Wolfclaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,510 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSpring, Texas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostHeretron, on 12 July 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

This is a Car Racing game!

You sit in a cockpit....check!
There are roads....check!
You can increase throttle...check!

:D

Yeah this pretty much sums it up.

#23 Atavism

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

Who cares?

I mean seriously.. isn't MECHWARRIOR what we're all here for? Who really cares whether it can be wedged into an "MMORPG" pigeonhole?

#24 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

View PostTechnoviking, on 12 July 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

12 v 12 is not massive.

Under your rules, any game where you level up in multiplayer, including Battlefield 3, Call of Duty, Diablo 3, DeathSpank, are all MMORPGs.

Anytime you play a character to increase/improve upon their stats in a virtual world whereby others participate or assist, is an RPG...you are role playing your character to improve them, be it thru going thru a dungeon, piloting a mech, using a special ability to kill an oppoent. If it is increases their stats to improve your character then it is an RPG, however if you log out and the character resets, then it is not an RPG.

As to the MMO part anyhting you have a pool of thousands to choose fomr to play with, is by common sense an MMO, regardless if you can only fit 12, 24 or 40 in an instance, and this game very much like is MASSIVE as it will have hundreds of worlds that can be conquered at any time ,,,,,

#25 Freakiie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Holy crap, why would you CARE?!

#26 Lord Cochrane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

I thought role playing was when the missus puts the nurses outfit on....

#27 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

View PostAtavism, on 12 July 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

Who cares?

I mean seriously.. isn't MECHWARRIOR what we're all here for? Who really cares whether it can be wedged into an "MMORPG" pigeonhole?

Although I kind of like how this game seems to be blurring the definitions of MMO/RPG/FPS. You are right however, I don't think of any of those things while I eagerly await release day. It's just MechWarrior, plain and simple yet awesome.

#28 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

View PostWolv e, on 12 July 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

Anytime you play a character to increase/improve upon their stats in a virtual world whereby others participate or assist, is an RPG...you are role playing your character to improve them, be it thru going thru a dungeon, piloting a mech, using a special ability to kill an oppoent. If it is increases their stats to improve your character then it is an RPG, however if you log out and the character resets, then it is not an RPG.

do you even know what role playing is?
what you described, was just playing.... without role :D

#29 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

View PostHeretron, on 12 July 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

This is a Car Racing game!

You sit in a cockpit....check!
There are roads....check!
You can increase throttle...check!

:D

I agree, clearly a racing game

#30 Bohomit

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

I'm on board with this being a MMOFPS. I wouldnt call any mech warrior game that I have played (2, 3, 4) a RPG so moving it online doesn't suddenly make it one.

#31 xti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 138 posts
  • LocationGermany (Pfalz)

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

you can label it what you want.
for me it´s as much an mmorpg as battlefield 3 or cod.

there´s not much role playing i can see, so maybe i´d label it a mmog.
(massive mech online game :D ) - as others have pointed out 12v12 isn´t even massive.

edit:
by op´s reasoning you could label almost every modern multiplayer game that has any sort of progression as an mmorpg, e.g. Battlefield 3:

Massive multi player.........check
Play a character and increase their stats thru XP..............check
Interact with other players........................check
play in a world with other players.................check.
aquire wealth and items................check

identical, 32v32 is even more "massive" than mwo - which still isn´t massive in my book at all. i´d consider 300+ players in the same world/map as mmo add to that some role playing and character progression and you may have an mmorpg.

Edited by xti, 12 July 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#32 Gnmish

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Just because you list a condition and write "..................check" after it, doesn't actually make it true.

You can play <Insert almost any multiplayer game here> with many many people and level stuff up while interacting with others and acquiring wealth.

So therefore almost every game on the internet is an MMORPG, in fact the INTERNET is apparently an MMORPG! OMG! I think life may be the LARGEST MMORPG EVER MADE! OMG OMG OMG REVELATION!

Sometimes you need to watch a master of an art to learn more, sometimes you just need to watch someone doing something exceptionally badly.

#33 Leonorran

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 9 posts

View PostWolv e, on 12 July 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

NOTE: my appologies for using the "argue all you want phrase" it was not intended to be a threat or start a fight, but is a commonly used phrase. In the future I will be more carefull of how i phrase my titles....

Basic principal of a MMORPG is:

Massive multi player.........check
Play a character and increase their stats thru XP..............check
Interact with other players........................check
play in a world with other players.................check.
aquire wealth and items................check

MWO has all of the above, you play a pilot increase their skills and your character gets better at what they do, similiar to WoW, WAR, SWTOR, AoC etc.....no difference, just that it is in first person mode.

Planetside and Battlefield are FPS. Do not increase stats, jump in at any time and play a match, log out character resets.......that is the key...character resets.

Regardless how you want to spin it, MWO will be and is a MMORPG.

you are a **** who has no idea what MMORPG stands for, for 1: there are no levels in this game and also all mechs are viable whereas in an MMORPG the things you gain as you play are either flat out better or worse than others 2: there is only 24 players on the map at a time so where is the MASSIVE part of it. so just a future tip get your facts right before you try and label something...

#34 donkeybas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationTennessee

View PostLord Cochrane, on 12 July 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

If your not playing in the same server as me you don't count towards the massive, sorry.

A MMO or MMORPG isn't determined by what forumites think. If the gaming industry decides that this game is an MMO or MMORPG then it will be, and you'll (and everyone else who feels the need to argue about basically a label) just have to get over it.

In the meantime, I'll be playing the game in august and having a blast, instead of worrying about how it is defined on the forums by a bunch of anonymous people.

Edited by donkeybas, 12 July 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#35 Draelren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, OR

Generally, the player controls a central game character, or multiple game characters, usually called a party, and achieves victory by completing a series of quests or reaching the conclusion of a central storyline. Players explore a game world, while solving puzzles and engaging in tactical combat. A key feature of the genre is that characters grow in power and abilities, and characters are typically designed by the player.
- definition of RPG

You are not a "character" you're a mech, you do not complete a story line. There are no quests. There is no game world to explore.

MMO. Not MMORPG.

#36 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

Okay, there is not necessarily any reason to need to label this - or any other game - as players. But, if we really want to play the acronym game, here is what I would go with:

MWO is a F2P MMO RPG in the style of a FPS with TBTC... or, to expand:

MechWarrior Online is a Free to Play Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game in the style of a First-person Simulator with Team-based Tactical Combat.

There, how was that for you? :D

#37 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

View PostKhushrenada, on 12 July 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

do you even know what role playing is?
what you described, was just playing.... without role :D

Yups played paper D&D many years.....dungeon master, several of us had a character and we role played thru out the night.

So we create a guild, name a pilot, get in a mech, fight with team mates to conquer a map of opponents.....sounds pretty RPG to me

#38 Elwood Blues

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

MWO is Hello Kitty Online!

It is Free to Play - Check!
It will have a Founder's Beta - Check!
It has a focus on Social networking - Check!
It has cats - Check!

MWO is Hello Kitty Online!

#39 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostDraelren, on 12 July 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

- definition of RPG

You are not a "character" you're a mech, you do not complete a story line. There are no quests. There is no game world to explore.

MMO. Not MMORPG.

Actually, "you" are a character - you are the pilot, of each of the mechs you use. This has been stated by the Devs, and there will be experience (XP) that you earn as a pilot which will unlock special skills within the game. Sorry to burst any bubbles :/

#40 Sunny0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationMars / Glass Sphere No. 93

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostGnmish, on 12 July 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

So therefore almost every game on the internet is an MMORPG, in fact the INTERNET is apparently an MMORPG! OMG! I think life may be the LARGEST MMORPG EVER MADE! OMG OMG OMG REVELATION!

Yes we all play the largest and well maybe the ebst mmorpg out there! Where are the GTA Cheats! ;(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users