This is an MMORPG

73 replies to this topic

#41 Co Starring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGreatest small country in the world

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

By definition you need atleast one persistent world. I don't see that here.
12 v 12 isn't massive either. Yes, a strategic meta game, with results from seperate battles on instanced servers.

MMO, no... sorry

#42 Draelren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 191 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBeaverton, OR

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostWardenWolf, on 12 July 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

Actually, "you" are a character - you are the pilot, of each of the mechs you use. This has been stated by the Devs, and there will be experience (XP) that you earn as a pilot which will unlock special skills within the game. Sorry to burst any bubbles :/

Yes, you gain experience as a pilot. But you never see your character, you never are HIM as far as I know. You're a mech.

#43 Rychard Starheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

I weep for my generation.

#44 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Is it that important what label anyone puts on the game?

Let's go with the idea that it will be a seriously kick butt FPS, with giant Mechs, with the ability to customize your "character", in a persistent universe where your actions have real and lasting consequences, and is continually refreshed and updated with new content such as Mechs, maps, weapons, skills, and other features.

Let me know if any of that has a downside.

#45 Sunny0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationMars / Glass Sphere No. 93

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostDraelren, on 12 July 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

Yes, you gain experience as a pilot. But you never see your character, you never are HIM as far as I know. You're a mech.

Well you're not the Mech you are the Pilot ( Skill tree for mech and pilot). So you are him.

But still it's not an mmorpg ...

#46 BanditRaptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 336 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

#47 Albinostorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 190 posts
  • LocationWarrington, England

Just to use an (albeit dated) example, Warcraft 3 contains hero units. These units gain experience and level up throughout a mission. does that make Warcraft 3 an rpg instead of an rts?
Logic..........che- owait.

#48 akaChrisHimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 292 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

I don't care if it's Words with Friends as long as it has mechs.

#49 Duke William

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIS

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Well 12vs12 is pretty good for mech warfare. And perhaps there will be bigger battles in the future.

To make this a MMO you'd have to have an area where a bunch of players can socialize when out of the cockpit. Maybe faction specific areas to meet and group. Plan attacks on certain worlds. Can the galactic map shift? Do your victories and losses affect the world? I haven't researched the game enough to know if this is the case.

But it does say Mechwarrior Online, not Mechwarrior Massively Online. lol.

#50 donkeybas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostWolv e, on 12 July 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

NOTE: my appologies for using the "argue all you want phrase" it was not intended to be a threat or start a fight....

View PostWolv e, on 12 July 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

In many posts ppl have gone ouit of their way to correct or tell ppl how this is not an MMO or MMORPG, I beg to differ on the subject and wanted to open a discussion with ppl about this subject...

So it WAS created to start a fight...I mean *cough*discussion*cough*

Please lock this, from the posts from pages 1-3 it's clear what this thread was intended for, and violates forums rules.

Edited by donkeybas, 12 July 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#51 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Sol having a guild with over 100 members, conquering planets, defending planets against other guilds, increasing ones wealth and gaining XP is what? an FPS? hehe sorry but even if you can not see your avatar and can not personalize their appearance you are still playing a pilot who can choose any mech they want with the sole purpose to fight other players to increase your abilities and wealth. RPG

#52 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 543 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Massive multi player

No, actually. 24 (or fewer) players in a match is not massive.

Play a character and increase their stats thru XP

Same with Battlefield, Planetside, Call of Duty, and most other recent shooters.

Interact with other players

Sure, if "kill everyone before you're killed" counts as "roleplaying interaction."

play in a world with other players

See above.
Plus, there is no persistent world. There is a persistent meta-game, but every match will be instanced.

aquire wealth and items

This stands, though there won't be any sort of trading between "characters."

Planetside and Battlefield are FPS. Do not increase stats, jump in at any time and play a match, log out character resets.......that is the key...character resets.

A swing and a miss...

Planetside (an MMOFPS) is closer to an MMORPG by your definition. It has a full persistent world, where you do not reset after a "match." Planetside also has two experience trees like MW:O. Battle Experience and Command Experience. Increasing your Battle Rank (BR) and Command Rank (CR) improve your character and grant you new areas of play through certifications.

Battlefield also has an experience system. And like MW:O, you drop in to a match, kill everything (or die horribly), then leave. Experience you accrue is saved on your "character" between matches and can unlock new perks.

Oh, and since I haven't had a chance to use these since I collected them:

View PostBryan Ekman, on 17 November 2011 - 01:17 PM, said:

MWO is not an MMO, but has MMO like qualities.

View PostBryan Ekman, on 05 December 2011 - 09:54 AM, said:

MWO and EVE are not similar in so far as EVE allows unlimited* players to participate in core gameplay mechanics, such as mining, or fleet battles. MWO uses a match model - a limited numbers players join and play an instance of gameplay. The results of that instance are tabulated and then added to the metagame (stats, ranks, etc).

So I stand by my statement: MWO is not an MMO, however it has MMO like qualities.

*Unlimited is a theoretical possibility. Anyone who has played EVE knows what I'm talking about.

#53 Shephard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 274 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Planetside and Battlefield are FPS. Do not increase stats, jump in at any time and play a match, log out character resets.......that is the key...character resets.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong here.

Planetside: There are no "matches" first of all, one single world. Second, you earn experience from your actions and use them on certifications to increase your character's abilities. Third, your character NEVER resets.

#54 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

View Postdonkeybas, on 12 July 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

So it WAS created to start a fight...I mean *cough*discussion*cough*

Please lock this, from the posts from pages 1-3 it's clear what this thread was intended for, and violates forums rules.

No this is an honest bedate, as you can see ppl seem to have different views on what constitutes an RPG and even MMO.....some are more vocal about ti and have become insulting and others have been nicer about it.....I have personally yet to call or indicate anyone with name calling and will keep it clean as it was intended to be. When we as a community are unable to just have a debate/discussion without throwing tantrums, then it will be a sad sad day indeed...........I honestly want to debat ethis to see the other side...so far no one has been able to show me evidence that this is not an RPG.

#55 Volume

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Just saying, Planetside also had persistent character progression, and a persistent world with constant combat and territory changes.

But the character progression - I remember Battle XP, Support XP, and Command XP, and you would gain experience depending on whatever you were doing, (killing people, capturing a base, getting assists would all count towards different XP types) and you would rank up and earn points to gain certifications with, allowing you to use more vehicles or equip different weapons or whatever.

And this is an "RPG" in the sense that World of Tanks is an RPG (your tanks gain XP! Your pilots and gunners gain XP!), or in the sense that the metagame in League of Legends makes it an RPG (You can equip runes to give yourself +1.26 armor! That's persistent account progression!)

Edited by Volume, 12 July 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#56 Bansheedragon75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

Can someone please explain to me what the point of thei thread are?
I fail to see why it is important whether this game is an MMO, MMORPG or not.

But if the Op wanna argue the point I will say that this is NOT an MMORPG, I would classify this game as either an MMO simulation or a Simulation PVP game, but to call it an MMORPG is way out of bounds.

RPG = Role Playing Game.
In an RPG you are role playing nother character than you are in real life.
You are playing the role of a differen person in a different setting.

MWO is a Simulation.
You are not playing the role of a different person, instead you are controlling or piloting a vehicle or machine, in this case a giant walking battlemech.

To call a simulation for an RPG could be equal to saying that an apple are similar to an orange.

Edited by Dragonlord, 12 July 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#57 Sunny0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationMars / Glass Sphere No. 93

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

From wiki:
Role-playing video games (commonly referred to as role-playing games or RPGs, as well as computer RPGs or CRPGs) are a video game genre where the player controls a character, and lives as this character when immersed in a fictional world. Many role playing games have origins in pen-and-paper role-playing games[1] such as Dungeons & Dragons, using much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics. The player in RPGs controls one character, or several adventuring party members, fulfilling one or many quests. The major similarities with pen-and-paper games involve developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replayability and immersion. Electronic medium removes the necessity for a gamemaster and increases combat resolution speed. RPGs have evolved from simple text-based console-window games into visually rich 3D experiences.

So MWO isn't a mmorpg... It's an mmofps...

View PostDragonlord, on 12 July 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

MWO is a Simulation.
You are not playing the role of a different person, instead you are controlling or piloting a form of vehicle or machine, in this case a giant walking battlemech.

To call a simulation for an RPG could be equal to saying that an apple are similar to an orange.

well or an simulation. ;D

Edited by Sunny0, 12 July 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#58 Rychard Starheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

View PostWolv e, on 12 July 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

No this is an honest bedate, as you can see ppl seem to have different views on what constitutes an RPG and even MMO.....some are more vocal about ti and have become insulting and others have been nicer about it.....I have personally yet to call or indicate anyone with name calling and will keep it clean as it was intended to be. When we as a community are unable to just have a debate/discussion without throwing tantrums, then it will be a sad sad day indeed...........I honestly want to debat ethis to see the other side...so far no one has been able to show me evidence that this is not an RPG.

Posted Image

#59 Mudslinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 184 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostKhushrenada, on 12 July 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

sorry, this is no mmorpg, this is just a mmo.

for it to be a mmorpg, it should have a persistant world in which you wander around and do things you wanna do (like in your examples WoW, etc.). beeing able to do actual ROLE PLAYING what is in the title "mmorpg". here you get thrown into a battle for like 15-20 mins (guessing) and then it is over and you find yourself sitting in your mechhangar again.

otherwise games like World of Tanks would be a mmorpg as well, which they aren`t. only difference is, that you only have one avatar in this game instead of multiple tanks.

you may want it to be an mmorpg, but it simply is too "simple" (i don`t mean that in a bad way).

Kush is correct. In todays gaming world, the vast majority of gamers will view MMORPGs as games like EQ, WoW, SWTOR, AoC, Ultima Online, etc. If a game deviates from these types of systems, most folks just don't consider it an 'MMORPG' in the classic sense. So, in the popular classic sense, MWO is not an MMORPG.

However, that doesn't mean it does not contain elements of MMORPGs (which it obviously does) and definitely has no bearing on whether or not the game will ROCK!

MWO is what is...and it is going to be the best MW game to date.

#60 Saga Koto

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

I would have to agree that this is an MMO (Massively Mechwarrior Ohmigawdness). Nothing more, Nothing less.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users