#61 Rychard Starheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

View PostMudslinger, on 12 July 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

Kush is correct. In todays gaming world, the vast majority of gamers will view MMORPGs as games like EQ, WoW, SWTOR, AoC, Ultima Online, etc. If a game deviates from these types of systems, most folks just don't consider it an 'MMORPG' in the classic sense. So, in the popular classic sense, MWO is not an MMORPG.

However, that doesn't mean it does not contain elements of MMORPGs (which it obviously does) and definitely has no bearing on whether or not the game will ROCK!

MWO is what is...and it is going to be the best MW game to date.

Posted Image

#62 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

Interesting conversation about what to label MWO as. I look at it this way, I don't care what you think, my opinion is all that matters to me.
Have a nice day. :D

Kensai the wandering warrior

#63 sicky

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

i dont see MWO as a MMORPG, MMOFPS or MMO at all.
MWO got RP elements, so does Battlefield 3
one can argue that MWO is a FPS but not massive.
i dont think that 12 vs 12 is massive.
the only real MMOFPS i know of is Planetside and soon Planetside 2.

#64 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Knives? Check.
Rope? Check.
Dagger? Check.
Chains? Check.
Locks? Check.
Laser Beams? Check.
Acid? Check.
Body Bag? Check.

#65 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

this is an OP who is going to be very disappointed

#66 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostDerek Icelord, on 12 July 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

No, actually. 24 (or fewer) players in a match is not massive.

Same with Battlefield, Planetside, Call of Duty, and most other recent shooters.

Sure, if "kill everyone before you're killed" counts as "roleplaying interaction."

See above.
Plus, there is no persistent world. There is a persistent meta-game, but every match will be instanced.

This stands, though there won't be any sort of trading between "characters."

A swing and a miss...

Planetside (an MMOFPS) is closer to an MMORPG by your definition. It has a full persistent world, where you do not reset after a "match." Planetside also has two experience trees like MW:O. Battle Experience and Command Experience. Increasing your Battle Rank (BR) and Command Rank (CR) improve your character and grant you new areas of play through certifications.

Battlefield also has an experience system. And like MW:O, you drop in to a match, kill everything (or die horribly), then leave. Experience you accrue is saved on your "character" between matches and can unlock new perks.

Oh, and since I haven't had a chance to use these since I collected them:

Actaully the 24 vs 24 is just one of hundreds of matches going on at the same time when community warfare goes live. You have hundreds of fights going on that influence your server overal.

It is a persitant world albeit via map in which worlds are changing hands every hour as guilds are attacking one another. You may not be able to walk thru it with your avatar, but you are influencing it with your actions as you pilot your mech on the battlefield and conquer a planet.

Kill or be killed is always the case in any game once you jump into an instance be it the 40 man WoW dungeons of old to the new 15 man instances of new, and every game since that has introduced the instance system of fighting/dungeoning to lower server side lag. Trust me if Pirhana could pull it off this would be a 1000 Vs 1000 game in a hearbeat, but technology limits does not allow for that yet in todays gaming industry, some have tried like EvE but evne when they have MASSIVE battles the lag is so great, it is hard to fight.

and lets be clear pvp on massive scale where games get bigger, the specs get bigger, is not an easy task. We have all seen what happens when pvp is done wrong (SWTOR planet Illum)...MWO has taken a great approach in which we can concentrate on our character, get right into the thick of things and influence our persistant world (UNIVERSE) around us. This is one of the BIGGEST games map wise as you can visit (attack) hundreds of different planets that are owned by different clan/guild/houses/mercs/pirates etc....

#67 Tokra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostWolv e, on 12 July 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

NOTE: my appologies for using the "argue all you want phrase" it was not intended to be a threat or start a fight, but is a commonly used phrase. In the future I will be more carefull of how i phrase my titles....

Basic principal of a MMORPG is:

Massive multi player.........check
Play a character and increase their stats thru XP..............check
Interact with other players........................check
play in a world with other players.................check.
aquire wealth and items................check

MWO has all of the above, you play a pilot increase their skills and your character gets better at what they do, similiar to WoW, WAR, SWTOR, AoC etc.....no difference, just that it is in first person mode.

Planetside and Battlefield are FPS. Do not increase stats, jump in at any time and play a match, log out character resets.......that is the key...character resets.

Regardless how you want to spin it, MWO will be and is a MMORPG.

Sidenote: Real life is a MMORPG.

Massive multi player.........check
Play a character and increase their stats thru XP..............check
Interact with other players........................check
play in a world with other players.................check.
aquire wealth and items................check

So by your definition the real life is a MMORPG.
With really hard death penalty.

#68 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

An MMORPG is a computer-based role playing game (RPG) which takes place in an online virtual world with hundreds or thousands of other players. An MMORPG, like any RPG, allows the user to control a character represented by an avatar, which he directs to fight monsters for experience, interact with other characters, acquire items, and so on.

source: http://www.wisegeek....is-a-mmorpg.htm

I don't think MWO fits within these constraints because the character is never represented by an avatar. Sure you will be able to drive different mechs, but you are the pilot, not the mech itself. Also, you will not acquire items through your character, (As in finding a PPC on the ground and taking it to your drop ship). So, MWO is not a RPG although it is multiplayer online game.

#69 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostSunny0, on 12 July 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

From wiki:
Role-playing video games (commonly referred to as role-playing games or RPGs, as well as computer RPGs or CRPGs) are a video game genre where the player controls a character, and lives as this character when immersed in a fictional world. Many role playing games have origins in pen-and-paper role-playing games[1] such as Dungeons & Dragons, using much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics. The player in RPGs controls one character, or several adventuring party members, fulfilling one or many quests. The major similarities with pen-and-paper games involve developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replayability and immersion. Electronic medium removes the necessity for a gamemaster and increases combat resolution speed. RPGs have evolved from simple text-based console-window games into visually rich 3D experiences.

So MWO isn't a mmorpg... It's an mmofps...

well or an simulation. ;D

Everyday we see the storyline....it is right here: http://mwomercs.com/...isn-news-flash/

We are updated weekly with news from the game with the going ons in the Inner Sphere. We are playing in the battletech universe in a live simulation where 1 game day - 1 real day. WE all look forward to the clan invasion (storyline). Our quest is to take and hold a planet or to beat our foe on the battlefield to gain xp and wealth and hopefully soon some clan tech. As you play longer your pilot gets better at what they do. OUR world/universe is influenced by the above storyline....not sure how much clearer to make it hehe..

#70 BREFFmints

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

The developers already chosen of what kind of game genre is this.It's not like the developers with go like "hey dude,look at this guy,he clearly knows our game better even if it is beta,look at what he observed at our game,we should totally change our game genre to that!".

Edited by BREFFmints, 12 July 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#71 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

this game is composed of instanced 12v12 matches. this game is NOT a MMO, any more than battlefield or call of duty are.

#72 StaticPappy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCentral USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostLord Cochrane, on 12 July 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

You call 24 people playing with each other massive?

24 selected from 24000 or 24 million is certainly massive.
The game is massive an online but battles cannot have 2400 players in one fight.
And if so show me the one that does.

Its Massive an Online.. we use multi ROLE combat and shoot from a 1st person perspective.

So just by accepted definitions to the words alone it's soooo crystal clear...

MWO is in fact an MMOFPSRPG.

Now that we know what it is....
LET US IN WE WANNA PLAY WHATEVER IT'S CALLED

#73 MuffinTop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

So do you professional gamers agree this is an MMMPORK?,,,,,,I think I need some bacon ice cream.
Posted Image

#74 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

This thread serves no purpose other than to incite unrest and pointless arguing about terminology that is vague and misleading.

Locking it down.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users