How Did You Choose Your Mechwarriors Name?

677 replies to this topic

#1 CmdrSpider

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I realize that players choose their player character handles for a lot of different reasons. I have to admit thought I've oftened wondered why. Some selections are obvious as a player picks a name from a book, movie, TV show, game or of an actual military hero. Some appear to be real names and nick names, many of these with a military rank attached. But then there's all those names that just seem to appear out of the void of confusion. What possess a player to choose a string of numbers or letters, why chose a series of letters that appear to have no connection?

For the Record Spider has been my nick name since high school and the Cmdr come's from my time in the late 70's when my MOS in the Army was 11 Echo 20 or better known as Tank Commander. So I use CmdrSpider as my handle in all the games I play.

So now's your turn share with us how you choose yours:

#2 Sunny0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationMars / Glass Sphere No. 93

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Well normaly my name is Lawlieduty (I will change that when they implement it) and it's a mix from L. Lawliet ( Anime: Deathnote ) and my old name Duty so i just mixed it together. :D

#3 Ashrok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPhilippines

Ashrok has a particularly dumb background. I was thinking of something that could be used to fit almost any setting perfectly - not just something that'd identify me.

When I was signing up for FlyFF as my cousins were forcing me, the login screen showed lots of lava.. Which made me think of ash and rocks. Ashrok.

Otherwise, my non roleplay name is johnxfire, in most parts.

#4 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Was tired of my usual Handle being picked all of the time (and I HATE adding numbers behind a handle), so I came up with something no one would come up. A sort of "Play-on-Words".

I would have picked something else, but I try and keep the handle the same everywhere.

P.S. I don't hate anybody :D

#5 Arfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationMianus, CT

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

One who arfs. Duh.

#6 Torinir

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Heh... this has been my online handle for a long, long time. Been using it in gaming since Quake 3. Came from a character I created for the original D&D. (You know... pens, lots of paper, a bunch of dice, and tons of imagination.)

#7 Holywind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Mine has been my character name since I made a cleric way back when EverQuest came out.

#8 AlienInvader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

The meaning of my mw name will be revealed 12/21/12

#9 Stormwraith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

It was given to me by a former co-worker.

#10 Aidan1004

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 58 posts
  • LocationFranconia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

I think why i have taken my name is clear :D I really like Aiden Pryde and his story in the Jade Falcon Trilogy ;)

I think another cool name is Twitch. I really liked this pilot from Mechcommander 2 but when I took the name here, i didn't think of the name Twitch....

Edited by Aidan1004, 12 July 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#11 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

Posted Image

#12 TenderBabyMeat

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Long story that involves a conversational exchange between myself and an old coworker. Story is a bit rough to share with a general audience. Not sure what made me apply it as a gametag, but now I pretty much use it for every game I play, and what's more, I never have to compete to get it!

Edited by TenderBabyMeat, 12 July 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#13 Hive Rat

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hive Rat is a relatively new name for me. It comes from the name of an adventuring party from Sigil in the D&D 2e Planescape pen and paper days.

Old handle was Dirty Lizard, which came from the name of a bar on the Abyss (same time frame as above), but everyone always thought it carried sexual connotations so I abandoned it.

#14 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Well it was either this or Team Captain. Plus what can I say its a great name. Mostly the names from this one CoD match I was playing in. Some guy would trap his team mates in corners and wouldn't let them out until he called him Team Leader lol so I figured I didn't want to force/grief people to get them to call me that.

Edited by Team Leader, 12 July 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#15 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

Mine is originally from City of heroes where I tried to death to make a 'cool' villain and then I just said **** it and went for silly factor. Combine the hulk with cute and cuddly and you get TERROR TEDDY - a pink supervillain menace in a pink bodysuit with teddybear ears and superstrength.

Tried to make him in Champions Online but they had no teddy ears so I skipped it.

TEDDY SMASH!

#16 Argon3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationTexas

Since MtG released online
The first time

I wanted to be Aragorn(sp?) from LotR but I could not find a book (Yes before the movies)
And I was not going to spell it wrong

But I found my college chemistry book
And here I am

Would not let me use just Argon or Argon1
SO I skipped to 3 and it worked

#17 Lily of Thrace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationUtopia, Terra

I didn't choose it. It is my name.
Well, I guess I could have used something else, like my designation, but that causes more than enough confusion, so I just went for my name this time.
Seems fitting, considering it is being used for Battletech.
Whereas if I was using my designation, it would be far more... mediocre? Forgettable?
People forget me at their own peril.

#18 Jfrost

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, North Carolina

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Jack Frost was my original online persona, created first for the game Ultima Online (back in 1998). It's not very creative, however I'll just use the excuse that I was only a kid then. I carried Frost into Firearms (the counter-strike mod) - I used "TehScouter" for counter-strike since I'm sure we can all agree that the Steyr Scout is the superior weapon.

I stuck with the name, and created JFrost as a hip-new name for my xbox live account. I tend to alternate between a capital "F" or lower-case "f" in frost depending on the font, or "just to mix it up". Now that name has represented me through the years. I've also been known as "Delusional" or "DelusionalDude" since the name "JFrost" is commonly taken.

But rest assured, "[I am] the one and only!" Jfrost.

Edited by Jfrost, 12 July 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#19 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

My nick means "the civilian" in German.

I use this nickname for all PvP-heavy games, in hopes that people will see me as harmless and face moral dilemmas when trying to shoot me! :D

Edited by Der Zivilist, 12 July 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#20 Khan Warlock Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 392 posts
  • LocationThe Grey Wolves Den

I chose warlock in my very first ever online mechwarrior game and have used it ever since as my call sign Zakius "Warlock" Gooch.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users