Lrm Avoidance Tutorial

35 replies to this topic

#1 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:22 AM

Russ recently lamented that Steam users believe LRMs are OP. It would be nice if the tutorial could give them some practice on all the ways to avoid LRMs.

Something like:

Captain Adams said:

See that LRM turret in the distance? It's locked on and firing at you. Quick, get to cover! If you can see the turret, the turret can see you.

Uh oh, looks like there's turrets all around you. Nowhere you can hide. Go stand next to that friendly ECM Mech.

Uh, oh, Now there's a UAV above your heads. His ECM is useless now. Quick, shoot it down before you both die.

Also, might be good to add things like:
  • LRMs fly to your last known position when they lose lock so breaking lock and then moving sideways is better than just backwards or standing still.
  • What types of cover are and aren't tall enough/how close you have to get to them.
  • If you've broken LOS but are still getting pounded, look for a sneaky spotter.
  • If you're Narced, find ECM or really good cover.
  • If all else fails, twist to spread the damage.

#2 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:54 AM

I'll continue to say what ive always said. LRMs are not the most powerful weapons. They are, however, the most stressful and joysucking weapons to fight against. They could fix how annoying they are by perhaps reducing their cockpit shake and impact flash.

I'd also think it'd be nice if they improve their direct fire capability at the cost of requiring LOS to lock unless a spotter used tag or NARC, that way an LRM team's whole indirect fire dynamic gets crushed if their NARC boat is destroyed.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 30 December 2015 - 01:16 PM.

#3 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:23 PM

To follow up with my previous comment, I had an idea. What if when there are no NARCs or TAGs in play, all LRMs required the boat to acquire their own personal lock BUT, the LRMs would fly with a significantly reduced arc? This would make LRM direct fire more powerful, by virtue of them reaching the target quicker. On the flip side though, once a lock is lost and an enemy ducks behind cover the LRMs don't have the high altitude to reach over said cover.

Then when NARCs and TAGs come into play, LRMs get their arc back allowing them to reach over cover, but only so long as they have that NARC/TAG support?

#4 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:21 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 30 December 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

I'll continue to say what ive always said. LRMs are not the most powerful weapons. They are, however, the most stressful and joysucking weapons to fight against. They could fix how annoying they are by perhaps reducing their cockpit shake and impact flash.

I'd also think it'd be nice if they improve their direct fire capability at the cost of requiring LOS to lock unless a spotter used tag or NARC, that way an LRM team's whole indirect fire dynamic gets crushed if their NARC boat is destroyed.

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 30 December 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

To follow up with my previous comment, I had an idea. What if when there are no NARCs or TAGs in play, all LRMs required the boat to acquire their own personal lock BUT, the LRMs would fly with a significantly reduced arc? This would make LRM direct fire more powerful, by virtue of them reaching the target quicker. On the flip side though, once a lock is lost and an enemy ducks behind cover the LRMs don't have the high altitude to reach over said cover.

Then when NARCs and TAGs come into play, LRMs get their arc back allowing them to reach over cover, but only so long as they have that NARC/TAG support?

Not to shoot you down or anything, but I'm guessing this is a bad place to foster discussion/get developer interest. This is the MechWarrior Academy Tutorial forum after all. LRM changes seem out of scope.

I'd suggest posting your ideas in the suggestion forum or tweeting to Russ.

#5 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostDomenoth, on 30 December 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Not to shoot you down or anything, but I'm guessing this is a bad place to foster discussion/get developer interest. This is the MechWarrior Academy Tutorial forum after all. LRM changes seem out of scope.

I'd suggest posting your ideas in the suggestion forum or tweeting to Russ.

Already did Posted Image

tweeted it i mean.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 30 December 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#6 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

excellent idea
the tutorial map is big enough to add some lrm duck and cover training
i so miss the lrm turrets on maps, would love to see bases and turrets more

#7 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:19 AM

Bump this great pointers to counter lurmageddon.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:44 AM

Dont forget. LRM players are really shy. Get up close to them and give them a reeeeeallly big hug and they are not that scary any more (or at least get within the minimum 180 meter distance ann IS LRMs bounce humorously off your mech and CLRMs deal less and less damage depending on remaining distance).

#9 Jonathan vom Falkenstein

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:17 AM

Problems with LRMs? Don´t stand in the open.

That reduces the Dmg you take from LRMs up to 100%.

#10 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:52 AM

* cough * - Topic still exists and has been brought up, apparently player base doesn't seem to think its too important based on the response.

http://mwomercs.com/...66#entry4760066

#11 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

Funny, even before the the steam launch on certain maps I could quickly move up, target a mech and kill it with LRMs with little to no damage then run off or engage that second mech out in the open that came over to help. That is on certain maps with certain game modes, where I new a mech would be out in the open. It got to the point my unit would not even question what I was doing, just tell the other players that I was going out for a quick kill and to draw the other team out into the open, so be ready.

It all comes down to being able to use cover or concealment, be it ECM, being beyond sensor range, behind a hill, buildings, using a light scout to draw attention or just using an IV line (intervisability line, yes the $100 word). Then there is a difference between concealment and cover. Cover means then can not hit you do to something in between. Concealment means they have a hard time seeing you, but if they fire at you they can hit you.

Now with the new map, holy cow. People are going to scream. But on that new map we got 4 atlases right up to the other team this morning with them never seeing them coming. How you may ask, well we used terrain, and the hellbringer agreed to walking in the middle of the atlases. Then me an Ebon Jaguar (my body guard that got two lights) played LRM bait. While the Raven 4X and Raven 3L were working in parallel to each other would spot. I was the only LRM boat on our team in a shadowhawk 2D with out radar deprivation or AMS. I ended the match with over 80% health, 900+ damage with 5 kill most damage dealt. I let the ravens clean up for the kills. The other team had two catapults, one Madcat C with LRMs and a warhawk LRM boat. Both catapult pilots said that they ran out of LRMs from firing at me. So what did I do on a LRM friendly map, with no ECM, no AMS with two LRM boats fixated on me, and I still had over 80% health with armor on every section?

Use terrain to block the flight path of the missiles
keep the engagement range over 600 m to help break locks
use spotters to keep me informed of other movement.
let them get locks and duck under the IV line and change direction.
use TAG to take out that ECM spotter. (or so your friends can see him and also engage)
Shoot UAV's down fast.
Use BAP to detect UAV's
use a UAV's to spot that #*$%@#& AMS Locust/Kitfox trolling you from behind.
If you have ECM it is as simple as turning it off for a bit, then turning it on.

I believe in drawing LRM fire as an effective counter to LRMs and I do not even have a death wish, just saw what LRMs were like before ECM came out. That was a scarry time to learn the game due to the LRMs and they did 1.5 damage with more splash damage added on top of that. That was when people could get 2000 damage in an 8 vs. 8 match by using LRMs. You had to be good at dodging them back then, very very good.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 20 January 2016 - 09:40 AM.

#12 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 30 December 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

They aren't annoying only if you don't pay attention. Thats why newbies have troubles with them because they have 100.000 other things to lern and figure out at the same time.

Russ may lament about it, but its nonsense because on the top level meta Lrm's hardly matter and are maybe a little supression tool, if even.

#13 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

LRM Avoidance: switch heat sink with AMS, have a team that values support over a single heat sink.

I cant count how often my team got smashed while LRM roam freely into deathball killing entire assaults while having no support from 8 friendly mechs in AMS range.

View PostLily from animove, on 20 January 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

Russ may lament about it, but its nonsense because on the top level meta Lrm's hardly matter and are maybe a little supression tool, if even.

In solo queue (where most games take place), LRMs are very popular and often are gamechanging as well.

Edited by Exard3k, 20 January 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#14 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

Protip: when you see a glowing orange cloud flying across the sky in your direction, it is not Nimbus coming to rescue you.

Posted Image

You should take cover.

#15 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 20 January 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

Protip: when you see a glowing orange cloud flying across the sky in your direction, it is not Nimbus coming to rescue you.
You should take cover.

But... its soo.. beautiful.... must stare... DIRECTLY at... incoming missile flares..

Edited by rolly, 20 January 2016 - 03:03 PM.

#16 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

View Postrolly, on 20 January 2016 - 02:57 PM, said:

But... its soo.. beautiful.... must stare... DIRECTLY at... incoming missile flares..

It's way more beautiful when you're the one creating the cloud, trust me.

#17 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

View PostDomenoth, on 30 December 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

Russ recently lamented that Steam users believe LRMs are OP. It would be nice if the tutorial could give them some practice on all the ways to avoid LRMs.

The learning curve..

#18 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

I may be able to add a very simple something with LRMs into the Academy, but I've run into memory limitations on 32bit machines.

#19 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

Try this as advice.

http://mwomercs.com/...scared-of-lrms/

#20 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain