Issue

86 replies to this topic

#1 Delpheus Merideus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

The recent guass rifle nerf has made it an impractical weapon out-classed in every aspect. There was no reason for this. The weapon is already the most difficult in the game to utilize, with its finicky charge up mechanic, and a slower-than-molasses cooldown.

This wasn't an effort to 'balance' the weapon but a measure to remove it from the game. By making it worthless, people will stop talking about it, and people will stop using it. This is extremely poor game development.

Forcing everyone into "brawling" is boring. Some players want to snipe. Let them snipe. Its only the future with lasers and spaceships and robots...god forbid that with all this formidable technology we have a functional guass rifle.

One of two things needs to happen.

First, perhaps remove the charging mechanic. That would mitigate the severe cooldown and bring balance back to the weapon.

Second, perhaps instead revert the cooldown time to 4 seconds.

When the guass rifle's DPS is LOWER than an AC2, we have a serious problem. Please consider that there are a variety of players and multiple play styles and when you cater to one and ignore the others, that reflects poorly on the game developers.

Edited by Delpheus Merideus, 16 January 2016 - 02:29 PM.

#2 Shivaxi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

I still see loads of people using gauss rifle, including myself. It's fine, and brawling is what we wanted because before it was non-existent. There's still loads of snipers anyway and it's definitely still viable. AC 2 having more DPS makes sense, because that's going to be all spread out anyway, and generates a good amount of heat. Gauss is all pinpoint damage to a single component.

#3 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:58 PM

Keep the new cool down, and remove the charging mechanic. Then it is once again a practical weapon designed for sniping.

The charge up time makes me angry. It is a preposterous feature on what should be a combat weapon, whereas the cool down is an acceptable reflection of the time it takes to fill the capacitor, making the weapon ready to fire or explode.

#4 Uklistan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:51 PM

Say that to a quad gauss dire wolf, when you on the other end. No charge means instant 120 point alpha into one spot....is that what you want?

#5 Delpheus Merideus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostGrothlamarath, on 31 December 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

Say that to a quad gauss dire wolf, when you on the other end. No charge means instant 120 point alpha into one spot....is that what you want?

I think your math is a bit off. 15x4=60. Also, you can only charge 2 guass at a time. I have no idea what your trying to say. Just sounds like more fear mongering from "the other end."

In this video below, the player got 2 kills, 5 assists, 480 damage.

Now lets take a look at what I could do with the PPC. Why does everything think that guass is the devil?

Posted Image

#6 Delpheus Merideus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:05 PM

Guass didn't need another nerf. People just need to stop whining about robots having futuristic and powerful weapons. The game needs more variety and its already lacking as it is.

Another alternative is this -- increase the guass projectile velocity to mitigate the overwhelming disadvantages, so that it at least connects with the target more reliably. It needs to have SOMETHING.

I just can't stand that its a trash weapon.

#7 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:57 PM

View PostDelpheus Merideus, on 01 January 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Now lets take a look at what I could do with the PPC. Why does everything think that guass is the devil?

Because apparently PPC + PPC + GAUSS is a lie.Posted Image

#8 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:09 AM

View PostDelpheus Merideus, on 01 January 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Because gauss is so easy to use it's not even funny. And, pre-nerf, it was the go-to brawling weapon for clans. It's not supposed to be a brawling weapon.

#9 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

Gauss nerf is crybaby friendly and must be removed

#10 Delpheus Merideus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

I also have a problem with most people claiming the guass is a "no skill" weapon when in fact it does require skill, much more than say, laser vomit, which seems to be the most popular tactic "spray and pray"

Edited by Delpheus Merideus, 02 January 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#11 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

View PostShivaxi, on 31 December 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

I still see loads of people using gauss rifle, including myself. It's fine, and brawling is what we wanted because before it was non-existent. There's still loads of snipers anyway and it's definitely still viable. AC 2 having more DPS makes sense, because that's going to be all spread out anyway, and generates a good amount of heat. Gauss is all pinpoint damage to a single component.

That's first of all not true: Brawling existet since the start of the game.

Second of all pin point damage is a problem inherent to Doom1esque aiming circles, that require nothing but moving the reticule over the part where you want all your weapons to go down on. Without a more complex aiming system you can't complain that all the damage goes where the reticule aims. No weapon nerf will change that. I can aim with 6 MPLs on my Direwolf for an arm and cut it off, its simple.

View Postgloowa, on 02 January 2016 - 03:09 AM, said:

Because gauss is so easy to use it's not even funny. And, pre-nerf, it was the go-to brawling weapon for clans. It's not supposed to be a brawling weapon.

Who says that? You?

#12 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:04 PM

They need to adjust the charge time or cool down time slightly. I stopped using it after this last change cause I began noticing the laser vomit guys had the advantage now since they could hit 2-3 times before i could get the next gauss shot off and that was at extreme laser ranges which add up.

#13 Delpheus Merideus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

View PostWANTED, on 02 January 2016 - 09:04 PM, said:

They need to adjust the charge time or cool down time slightly. I stopped using it after this last change cause I began noticing the laser vomit guys had the advantage now since they could hit 2-3 times before i could get the next gauss shot off and that was at extreme laser ranges which add up.

Constantly being outclassed by literally every other build in the game, i feel they may as well have just deleted the weapon from the game.

#14 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:06 AM

I think the Gauss should be like the ERLL, pretty good at long range, decent at mid range, inefficient at close range but still not complete crap. Now the Gauss is decent at long range, pretty meh at mid range and complete crap at close range. Reduce the cooldown to 5s and it still achieves a good balance.

#15 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:08 AM

I could live woth the new cycle time if the warm up time was removed. I have such a hard time using this weapon as it is now. I only have 1 of 20 mechs with a gauss. Kind of an indication of how non useful it is.

Edited by John Stryker, 03 January 2016 - 12:10 AM.

#16 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:38 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 02 January 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

Who says that? You?

God almighty, Voice of Reason, that's who.

Edited by gloowa, 03 January 2016 - 01:38 AM.

#17 Kinski Orlawisch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:49 AM

It wasn t a main weapon for masses and became useless weapon for all now.

Aimbot users could still use it..but why should they? There are better weapons out there.

#18 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

View Postgloowa, on 03 January 2016 - 01:38 AM, said:

God almighty, Voice of Reason, that's who.

If its the voice of reason everyone should be able to follow it. But appearantly not everyone can. Is it possible, that you never played Battletech? That might explain different expectations. I must remind you though, that a major aspect of this game is, that it is based on Battletech.

Edited by Autobot9000, 03 January 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#19 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

I agree that gauss didn't need more nerfs as the tradeoffs were already more than enough, the biggest one being the weapon explosions. I never had a lot of trouble with being on the receiving end, either. When the cooldown changed, I had a lot of trouble with my gauss mechs and sure, between that and dequirks my fastest gauss was not as monstrous as before. However I totally disagree with the statement that it is "trash" now. Once I got the new rhythm down it was fine. Gauss has always been about rhythm.

I'd like to get a definitive answer about whether CASE works with gauss at present. I had done a bunch of research after reading that a patch earlier last year changed gauss explosions to weapon explosions again, making CASE not work for it anymore. That research showed that all the way back to 2012 there were arguments over whether CASE should work for it, with many saying it should not. Regardless it apparently changed back and forth over time with patches and I haven't seen recent patch notes saying it changed back again after the last time. In any case I have heard it both ways from people who have played the game awhile.

Edited by Anachronda, 03 January 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#20 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 03 January 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

If its the voice of reason everyone should be able to follow it. But appearantly not everyone can. Is it possible, that you never played Battletech? That might explain different expectations. I must remind you though, that a major aspect of this game is, that it is based on Battletech.

Yeah. Like minimum range of 2 hexes on gauss.

Edited by gloowa, 03 January 2016 - 11:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users