124 replies to this topic

#1 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:23 PM

As per the January roadmap pour one out for the lopsided map going the way of the dodo.

Edited by orcrist86, 31 December 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#2 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

Its about time.

It needs to be phased out or the alternatives are, make it Conquest mode only or revise the map.

#3 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

The way he describes it, Polar Highlands sounds like a cold Tourmaline - which should be good.

#4 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

Yey! New map!

#5 BearFlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 374 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

Too bad. Russ calls it an "unfair" map. It's problems are fairly easy to enumerate and fix. Flatten the plateau on the Hill of Death and add more terrain breakup. Maybe some crevasses!

Above all, for the sake of this and just about every map, variable spawn points, variable base/resource locations. Use more of the big maps for crying out loud by altering the closing angles.

Edited by BearFlag, 31 December 2015 - 08:43 PM.

#6 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:48 PM

I wish they do something about therma first, that map promotes bad gameplay for pugs and even if you tell people to push...nobody does and nobody wants to die in the first 30 seconds into match so nobody pushes.

There is a few ways that "might" fix this.

1.Revise the map and update the map, like river city and forest colony.
2.Do away with it and replace it with a better mordor map, like what they're saying with alpine peak.
3.Add respawns(or it's own gamemode) but for every death it adds 10 seconds to countdown.

Just a few ideas.

#7 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:51 PM

That sucks, it's one of my favorites. whenever fights aren't on the mountain they're some of the best. But yeah, it does need a little fixing. I like BearFlag's suggestions.

I agree mordor is the worst, at least in public que. Any map that requires strategy just blows with our lovely puggish community.

#8 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, I kind of feel they're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The problem was the "Race to R*tard Ridge" gameplay in Skirmish/Assault, and that's it. Conquest on Alpine have always been enjoyable games.

Edit: I guess it's possible that if "that" mountain were removed, players would simply pick the second-best mountain to camp on, and the gameplay would remain just as stale.

Maybe they feel like Alpine's not up to modern MWO level in terms of production values, and thus prefer a complete remake. It does look kind of plain.

But whatever -- I hope the new map's good. And above all, I hope it'll remain a map where we have, for once, good visibility. Or good visibility at least once in a while, if they do variable weather effects.

Edited by jss78, 31 December 2015 - 09:06 PM.

#9 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:04 PM

I really hope its not just another map with crap every 100m to hide behind. All they had to do was drop the middle mountain by 50% How hard would that have been?

Edited by Monkey Lover, 01 January 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#10 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

View PostBearFlag, on 31 December 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:

Too bad. Russ calls it an "unfair" map. It's problems are fairly easy to enumerate and fix. Flatten the plateau on the Hill of Death and add more terrain breakup. Maybe some crevasses!

Above all, for the sake of this and just about every map, variable spawn points, variable base/resource locations. Use more of the big maps for crying out loud by altering the closing angles.

Another example of Russ not knowing what he's talking about.

The map isn't bad, the players are. If you dpn't want to fight for the hill, move to a different area of the map and move the fight.

I agree with the random base/allocation poiints and spawns. This should be in every map, have three overlapping zones per side and each lance drops at random in thier zone.

#11 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

Wow. I understand this new map is not a remake of alpine, but an entirely new map, right?
Why not have the old alpine AND the new map?? MWO has a total of 14 maps counting the regular queue and CW (and that's counting frozen city and frozen city night as 2 maps)

Save alpine please. Variety suffered enough with the voting feature, at least don't remove maps from the game. Nuke the death hill if necesary, but less maps is not the way to go.

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

This could be fantastic news. But judging by MWO's latest and newest maps, I have to say my reaction is more like this:

Posted Image

As far as I know, PGI hasn't hired new people for map design. And the success of maps does seem fairly random. The most popular maps are not the newest ones. River City 2 and Caustic 2 still have major design flaws and Viridan Bog is just... terrible. Even if they fix the trees, Viridian Bog is terrible. It's ~25 square kilometers and all the fighting basically takes place on the same 1 square kilometer area every... damn... time. Forest Colony 2 suffers from similar problems. I imagine 90% of all players have never set foot on half of Forest Colony 2.

So yeah, I'm trying to manage my expectations for this one. Maybe they'll roll a 6 and we get a map as good as Canyon Network again. And maybe they roll a 1. Time will tell.

#13 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

Mixed feelings. It was awesome when it first came out. Big and open and cold. But we all played the hell out of it and figured out there were few strategies that could trump the race for dork mountain. So yeah, it's a big and open and cold map with one place to go, which (unless you're playing conquest) makes it effectively the smallest map in play. So long.

#14 1Grimbane

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

don't do away with alpine just adjust it some.... i love conquest on that map. by all means add your new map but save alpine.

Edited by 1Grimbane, 31 December 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#15 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

I actually love Alpine its a great map/

#16 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

The frustrating part is that Alpine used to be good before they put that huge slope in it and centralized all the Conquest cap zones. PGI needn't eliminate or modernize Alpine so much as they just need to revert it.

#17 WarPickle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 513 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

Take Terrable Therma.. I mean seriously what moronic society would build a structure over the caldera of an active volcano.. and what complete idiotic faction would decide this is the perfect place to fight for... the whole map concept is dumb :P

#18 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:29 PM

WTF? An unfair map? WTF?

The map was only unfair to the masses of mindless zombies who instinctively rush to the mountain hoping there is a giant mound of human brains to be found.

WTF? An unfair map? WTF?

PGI, what the hell are you talking about? Don't remove the map, just add the new one.

Edited by Mystere, 31 December 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#19 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

Alpine is one of my favorites....so many epic battles on alpine. Players just refuse to use their heads and could only see the fight for moron mountain. Please don't get rid of alpine.

#20 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

Boo. An easy fix would be to adjust the spawn points. You could easily engineer fights in more balanced locations by moving spawn points to different spots. Hell, the map is big enough that could make that mountain a non-factor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users