Current Mech Pack Model Inherently Flawed?

57 replies to this topic

#41 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

Like I said before...

The current 4 mech packs need to lose A La Carte and move to a user definable tier structure.

AKA
Tier 1-
Tier 2-
Tier 3-
Tier 4-

instead of
Light
Medium
Heavy
Assault

The players will receive the tier bonuses like normal, anything for lights would be Tier 1, mediums Tier 2, etc. Meanwhile mech specific rewards like those additional variants would be locked to that mech. Then, you have the players select which mechs they want to include in their packs. Say you want the light and assault, or medium and heavy, or the medium and assault, or heavy and assault. You would only ever pay for TWO tiers and only receive the tier lvl 2 rewards.

Not to mention ALL TIERS are always a $20-30 difference so this wouldn't change the pricing of any mechs included in the pack at all.

The A La Carte even restricts you to only buying 2, however some may want 3, just not a specific one. Some people don't want the light, medium, or heavy, but in order to still get that Assault with the current pack setup, they HAVE to buy all 4 to get the 3 they want/would play.

I think it would actually promote sales beyond the loss of $20-60 from some people, because I know that others have not bought these packs for these reasons. I'm sure quite a few single tier purchases would flood in too from those that were appalled by the horrible pricing of the A La Carte option while also not receiving any of the mech pack bonuses.

Edited by MauttyKoray, 03 January 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#42 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

View PostMaverdick, on 03 January 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

Some people prefer heros, others prefer mech packs. I don't see why PGI can't do both.

You mean like they used to?

I would like to see them sell 2 basic variants and one champ as a pack, and sell the hero separate for a reasonable price. Preferably MC, like they used to, because otherwise there is nothing to spend MC on.

Only way PGI got away with it somewhat were the hero mechs in question. But after the unseen are gone who is going to spend good money on a hero mech? I want to see what happens when PGI asks $20 for a Thug Jose.

#43 JonDoeIowa

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

Currently my thoughts on it all is things should be handled more like the Mastery packs, only reason I say this is as many pointed out. I can pay $20 for 3 Kodiaks, or $20 for 3 Urban Mechs? (sorry urbie is the only light they have done this pack method with) The value difference isn't there, so you see alot of people skipping Lights unless they are like myself a light ***** (speaking of which, Dec. 2015 was the last light mech, if they announce one in January it will still be 5 months till the new one. No other weight class gets treated like that.)

An update to the price system really needs to be all around in the mechs and also in the store in general.

Changing Colors, Camos, and cockpit items to impulse buys would probably increase their sales (opinion). It's alot easier to justify throwing a dollar here, 2 dollars there, towards things than $10. I buy no colors, patterns, or cockpit items. For the cost of two or three I can get more mechs.

Bishop thank you for this write up, and I wish I had time to detail out things alot further. Wish this could be a round-table topic with the PGI team.

*Salute*

#44 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,249 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

Holy thread necro batman.

Although, arguably this is pretty relevant as Russ said he was considering change the package structure.

#45 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 January 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

Holy thread necro batman.

Although, arguably this is pretty relevant as Russ said he was considering change the package structure.

Yeah, he should change the structure to include the Scorpion mech. Posted Image

#46 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 10 January 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Yeah, he should change the structure to include the Scorpion mech. Posted Image

Only if it comes with a ringmaster dashboard item....

#47 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 10 January 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

Only if it comes with a ringmaster dashboard item....

Hula Girl in a Ring Master costume.

Holy [Redacted], i want that.

Edited by draiocht, 15 January 2017 - 06:42 AM.
inappropriate language

#48 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

It would be a much more attractive deal if each normal mech was $5 and special mechs $10 in the current model. That would be $15 base pack + $10 for Collector Edition + $10 for Reinforcements + $10 for hero. $15 for the base pack is the same as a subscription to most MMOs and $45 for the the whole lineup is a lot more palatable price point for me. I have not and will not buy a full pack under the current model because the value is just not there, they are way overpriced.

#49 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

A year-old thread, back from the dead.

I doubt they'll take any more action on these ideas than they did last time, but they need to address the tonnage disparity somehow; flat fee for three lights or three assaults only works if these 'mechs have the same value in game, and they do not.

Also, Collector's pack should make all variants (S) variants.

But I suspect positive changes in pricing structure are unlikely.

#50 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

I know this is an old necro thread, but ultimately speaking... unless you really like throwing money away (or have some crazy attachment to the mech itself)... on an economic/value basis, there is no real reason to get the collector's pack as currently constituted... you will get more value by buying the hero or reinforcements... but NOT the collector's version.

You know there's something wrong with your model (unless you like price gouging) where the hero mech or even the reinforcement pack option provides MORE value to the customer than than "one random variant that gets the C-bill bonus+camo".

Edited by Deathlike, 10 January 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#51 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

kinda think the standard pack should come with small bonuses like 10% cbills on the standard mechs, to differentiate them from the cbill versions that comes out later. the collectors should have 30% on all the mechs, instead of just having one extra s varient. and frankly i wouldn't touch a mech pack after the early adopters period expires. just not worth it without the other bonus goodies.

also with the 3 mech rule gone, i think its time for a budget option. like $10 for any one of the standard variants and a week of premium time. this could be upgraded to a full standard pack. you might make it so that if you get the budget pack during the early adopters period, and then upgrade it at any point prior to the mc release, it would qualify you for the early adopters goodies. there have been mechs i wanted to buy but because i didnt have the money during the early adopters, i simply waited for cbill release and didnt pay anything at all.

#52 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

IMHO, the most flawed part about their current 'Mech model is that it's only one per month.

I have money I want to spend because there are 'Mechs I want to buy that aren't in the game yet. By cranking out 'Mechs faster, they could get through the list and get more money, sooner. The more time they spend producing crap like the Supernova, Phoenix Hawk, and some of those contemptible IS 'Mechs topping the recent community poll, the longer it takes to get to something I want to spend money on.

#53 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 10 January 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

IMHO, the most flawed part about their current 'Mech model is that it's only one per month.

I have money I want to spend because there are 'Mechs I want to buy that aren't in the game yet. By cranking out 'Mechs faster, they could get through the list and get more money, sooner. The more time they spend producing crap like the Supernova, Phoenix Hawk, and some of those contemptible IS 'Mechs topping the recent community poll, the longer it takes to get to something I want to spend money on.

I know there's just too many mechs to get to, but up to a point... the mechs you do want eventually come out and there's no reason to spend further once that list dries up.

For the purposes of actually meaning something in terms of MWO... outside of meta-redefining mechs like the Kodiak that offers something else (in the form of powercreep) that something else sucks at, adding more redundancy w/o any distinction (whether it be quirks or whatever is relevant) will eventually hit that proverbial wall of "what mechs are really left?".

There's enough people vouching for their fav mech to be released... but there's going to be a lot of more replacements of replacements and planned obsolescence going on (see Mist Lynx) in between.

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostMalleus011, on 10 January 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

A year-old thread, back from the dead.

I doubt they'll take any more action on these ideas than they did last time, but they need to address the tonnage disparity somehow; flat fee for three lights or three assaults only works if these 'mechs have the same value in game, and they do not.

Also, Collector's pack should make all variants (S) variants.

But I suspect positive changes in pricing structure are unlikely.

Russ stated on Twitter that he was specifically looking at ways to improve the mech intro/sales thing. Most of these points are just as valid now as when I first wrote this.

Though I thought I had some other points... but maybe different threads...not like this subject doesn't get touched on frequently.

Big thing is:
1 price for all sizes, just doesn't work. MC and Cbill skew perceived value too much. 15/20/25/30 perhaps
Collectors Packs cost too much, and are too limited... let me choose which Model to bestow my Collectors Token on.

Mind you not setting locked prices, just ideas. But it tells me that the current state of mech sales must not be satisfying anyone.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 10 January 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#55 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 10 January 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

I know this is an old necro thread, but ultimately speaking... unless you really like throwing money away (or have some crazy attachment to the mech itself)... on an economic/value basis, there is no real reason to get the collector's pack as currently constituted... you will get more value by buying the hero or reinforcements... but NOT the collector's version.

You know there's something wrong with your model (unless you like price gouging) where the hero mech or even the reinforcement pack option provides MORE value to the customer than than "one random variant that gets the C-bill bonus+camo".

Agreed. I think I have one time wished I had bought the Collectors in place of the Hero {looking at you Legend Killer you worthless ****!)...and I did break down on the Roughneck for hte construction paint job... but in no way claim it was a good value.

I still say, since there is no physical differentiation anymore, that the Collectors should be a 10$ token that YOU choose to bestow on any non hero variant you want. A one time click box similar to when you chose faction camos. Then I feel it would be worth it. Also because why do I want 2 of the same model mech in my mechbay?

#56 Kaoba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 214 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

I dont know i always tought that the price tags of this game are way to high for a bunch of pixels......hell is the f2p more expensive that ive played, i really miss the mech of the month......i would rather prefer they put more effort into making new game modes, maps, gameplay mechanics like IA vehicles, planes or modes like 4 v 4 v 4 v 4, capture the flag etc than just making crazy dollars out of the mechs

#57 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 10 January 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

I know there's just too many mechs to get to, but up to a point... the mechs you do want eventually come out and there's no reason to spend further once that list dries up.

If I stop spending money it's because I've stopped playing. If I stop playing it's because there's no more joy in piloting 'Mechs. Here are the top-five 'Mechs I've spent the most matches in:

1. Blackjack (2,100)
2. Locust (2,008)
3. Marauder (758)
4. Jagermech (708)
5. Catapult (489)

That is 74% of my total matches (8,204) into five chassis. Two thirds of that time was spent playing just the top two. Four of those five chassis were in the game before I even registered an account in February 2014. I am bored to tears because nothing else has been particularly compelling. I like one of the 'Mechs that was released in 2016, and it doesn't get out much because it is basically a heavy Blackjack and, as you can see, I have played the bejeezus out of Blackjacks and I got a fill of "heavy Blackjack" with the Jagermech long before the Rifleman was released. I've refined building and playing all of these 'Mechs down to a science.

I mean, why do you think I've taken to playing Mist Lynx recently? It sits at No. 6 on my list with 417 matches, and the vast majority of those were in the last four months. There is nothing else to do but play hard-mode 'Mechs, but most of them are ugly beyond redemption and so that saps the fun out of playing them. The only 'Mechs I really drop in these days are that and the Marauder; the Marauder's joy is about worn away, the Mist Lynx still has some mileage left, but I've done about all that can be done on it. The novelty of being able to consistently carry a match in one of the worst chassis in the game can only...ahem...carry it so far.

I need new toys to keep playing. They have to at least look good, I can do the rest. That list of IS 'Mechs in the poll? The top 10, with the exception of the Night Star, are hideous piles of scrap and garbage-tier to boot. Sunder gets a pass for being an Omni and interesting.

For the purposes of actually meaning something in terms of MWO... outside of meta-redefining mechs like the Kodiak that offers something else (in the form of powercreep) that something else sucks at, adding more redundancy w/o any distinction (whether it be quirks or whatever is relevant) will eventually hit that proverbial wall of "what mechs are really left?".

There's enough people vouching for their fav mech to be released... but there's going to be a lot of more replacements of replacements and planned obsolescence going on (see Mist Lynx) in between.

At the very least, there are serviceable IS Omnis. If I'm going to get saddled with 'Mechs that are mediocre, they should at least be doing something new. We've got at least one in every weight class that would be okay in MWO and they don't require fancy new tech or invented variants to be MWO-legal. They don't even require new mechanics be added to the game.

I mean, really, at this point it's all about intrigue. Unless we get a new multiplayer game or new weapons/equipment, there is little else fresh but IS Omnis.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 10 January 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#58 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

I approve of this thread, necrosis and all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users