25 replies to this topic

#1 Poopaw

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNottingham, England

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

hi, recently started playing a few weeks ago, really enjoying the game but getting pretty tired of using the trial mechs that i cant modify, i was going to allow myself to buy a premium mech, ive used the trial version of the timberwold and love it however i alos like the look of the marauder but i cant use that in trial mode, so basically my question is if i was going to buy one premium mech would it be better to go for the madcat on its own or the marauder pack.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

Marauder Pack. You can buy the other for Cbills in game, but the Maraduers haven't dropped to cbillable yet. Also, better deal for your money.

~Leone.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

after completing your first 25 games and the tutorial you should have at least 18 million, Timber Wolves cost about 15 million each.

if you buy the Marauder pack for $20 you get 3 Mechs, 3 cockpit items and 30 days premium time (premium time gives 50% extra match earnings),
for $40 you get 4 Mechs, one is a duplicate with a cbill boost, you also get 9 cockpit items and 60 days premium time
For an additional $15 you can add the Hero variant to ether of those packs,with a 30% cbill boost and different hard-point layout.
so for $55 you get 5 Mechs (although 2 are the same model) 2 of which have cbill boosts, 60 days of premium time and 9 cockpit items

with the Timber Wolf, you can spend $55 to get 3 Timber Wolves, one of which has a cbill earnings boost, that is all.

the Marauder pack certainly looks like the better option to me, especially as you should be able to afford 1 TBR with cbills, and by the time you have leveled up the MADs you will probably be able to afford another 2 Timber Wolves

#4 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:05 PM

If you are spending real money, go for the pack.

By the time you've gotten one of them to Master, you can buy almost any single mech at its C-bill price.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

View Postsaikano1, on 08 January 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

madcat on its own or the marauder pack.

Marauder. 20 bucks, 3 mechs. Can't beat it. Fantastic machines.

Take it from the guy with 3 of each... and 181 mechs.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Koniving, 08 January 2016 - 04:49 PM.

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

Yup, another vote for the Marauder pack from me. If you're willing to spend actual money then these packs are by far the way to go when you're first starting out. They'll also play somewhat similar to a Timber Wolf, too, which'll make the learning cliff a little less steep later on

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:33 PM

If you HAVE to have one or the other, then Marauder. Or the Warhammer, which releases week after next, and will likely be an even better mech.

Marauder and Timber Wolf are both strong heavies, and are both ICONIC BT/MW mechs. That said, with being only a few weeks into the game, I'd recommend going with the less-awesome of the two. If you can learn to succeed in THAT, you'll be that much better off in the higher level of hotness. The less awesome of the two? Marauder.

Still does a lot of good stuff. You have all three weapons types represented between the three standard variants. You have Jump Jets available on all but the -3R. You can get pretty respectable speed out of the 360 engine rating cap for a 75-tonner (not QUITE TBR speed, but close). You have at least ONE high torso mount for your primary ranged weapons (2 in the -3R and -5M). And you have plenty of hard points to mount an impressive array of weapons on any of them. Marauder is a solid heavy mech.

Timber Wolf IS better, I think. And there are some obvious advantages to being a Clan omnimech. But save that for after you've gotten used to the slightly less mobile and less customizable Marauder. Get good with the MAD, and the TBR will feel like a Porsche next to it. Or, learn to drive the Porsche, and everything else will feel like an AMC Eagle next to that.

Good luck!

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

Whoa whoa whoa hold on there... Of the two, I consider the Marauder more awesome. Yeah, the timberwolf is a decent mech, but it can't carry IS Ballistics, or run a standard engine, or spread damage that well. On many things we have agreed, but not this day.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 08 January 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#9 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:21 PM

Don't forget that the Timber is a Clan and the Marauder is an IS mech, which only matters if you are going to play Faction Warfare (which I do not recommend for a newer player).

That said, of the two - I agree with the Marauder recommendation. HOWEVER - my true recommendation for a new player who wants to pilot an IS mech would be the Thunderbolt mastery pack. Includes both a Hero (cbill boost) and Champion (xp boost) variant of a solid brawling Heavy. Also includes 30 day premium in the pack.

If you want to spend more money and have both, the Heavy Mech performance pack on Steam is not too bad of a deal either - you trade the xp for c-bill boosts on both a Thunderbolt AND a Timber, end up paying more real $$ because of the included MC (use for more mechbays), premium time, and c-bills

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:19 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 08 January 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

Timber Wolf IS better, I think. And there are some obvious advantages to being a Clan omnimech. But save that for after you've gotten used to the slightly less mobile and less customizable Marauder. Get good with the MAD, and the TBR will feel like a Porsche next to it. Or, learn to drive the Porsche, and everything else will feel like an AMC Eagle next to that.

View PostLeone, on 08 January 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

Whoa whoa whoa hold on there... Of the two, I consider the Marauder more awesome. Yeah, the timberwolf is a decent mech, but it can't carry IS Ballistics, or run a standard engine, or spread damage that well. On many things we have agreed, but not this day.

they are very close, both have about the same potential firepower,
the Timber is faster but the Marauder is much more durable, especially with a larger standard engine (I use the STD350). which means you can loose both side torsos survive.

many times have I survived loosing both torsos and it has still taken the enemy 10-20 seconds with multiple Mechs shooting me to finish me off (hint in that situation aim for the legs and I would have gone down much faster, 40% of damage applied to missing components is transferred to the next component, so if you hit the "arm" after removing a torso, 40% of that damage would be applied to the side torso, then 40% of that would be applied to the CT, so 40% of 40% is 16% going to the CT).

a larger engine rating makes the Mech faster and more agile, it also increases your arm movement speed and torso twist speed.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 09 January 2016 - 04:15 AM.

#11 Poopaw

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:56 AM

thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Think i will go for marauder pack, would you say its worth getting the hero add on or not bother?

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:08 AM

I like hero mechs, especially when you're fist starting out. That c-bill bonus really comes in handy.

Edited by mailin, 09 January 2016 - 04:08 AM.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:19 AM

View Postsaikano1, on 09 January 2016 - 02:56 AM, said:

thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Think i will go for marauder pack, would you say its worth getting the hero add on or not bother?

your decision, although I would recommend getting ether the premium pack ($40) or the standard pack with hero ($35) so you have a Mech with a 30% cbill boost, I like the Hero version least out of the Marauders, its 300 engine cap makes it too slow for my tastes, but that is just my opinion, I am sure others are fine with moving at 65kph

#14 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:26 AM

Personal taste.

It isn't necessary, but it isn't a waste of money, either.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:36 AM

More so than the "Collector's" version. Both give you a mech that gives you 30% cbill bonuses, but the collector one is a variant you already get so it's just an extra mech. The hero gives it to you with its own hardpoints. A simple build like 6 ML + an LBX, or twin large lasers + 4 SPLs + AC/20 can create some easy "Holy ****" (dead) moments.

Or with enough heatsinks, load up 4 LPLs (with twin tags to help with aiming as well as extra earnings by marking targets for allied missiles) and fire the LPLs 2 at a time, you'll find yourself doing better damage than an AC/20 (at 21.2 damage) per arm. With those being the only weapons, you'll be able to maintain an incredible cooling rate and in emergencies you can fire all 4 with only a slight heat penalty for a devastating blow of 42.4 damage. Can you say surprise-- (insert meme of choice here)?

Edited by Koniving, 09 January 2016 - 06:36 AM.

#16 Poopaw

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:40 AM

ok i purchased the pack, however i dont seem to have the mech or anything in my inventory, i searched the FAQ but didnt see anything helpful, how long does it take to appear? its been about 1 hour so far still nothing.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:49 AM

View Postsaikano1, on 09 January 2016 - 06:40 AM, said:

ok i purchased the pack, however i dont seem to have the mech or anything in my inventory, i searched the FAQ but didnt see anything helpful, how long does it take to appear? its been about 1 hour so far still nothing.

Have you entered a match or relogged the game? If not, do so. Also go into the Mech Select screen, make sure you have "Class" or "Chassis" listed. "Owned" selected. And either "Inner Sphere" or "Both" selected. If Clan is selected you won't see it. You will find it under "Heavy" or "Marauder."

You will see a blue screen listing what you just redeemed. You may have already missed this without realizing it.

#18 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:50 AM

I think currently the best 20 dollars you can spend on MWO is the marauders pack. Are the boosted cbills from the hero and (S) chassis gained by going above that with another 15 20 or 35 dollars spent really depends on how much time you have to play the game.

Remember this too, you can buy the 20 pack, and then upgrade later. This way if you find that the marauder really wasn't to your liking you haven't spent as much and have far less buyers remorse.
That buyers remorse is what keeps players from investing in the game IMHO.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:51 AM

Last question.
Was it THIS Marauder? If this Marauder, what I stated above will work.

Or This Marauder? If this Marauder, check your email for a redeem code. Then click "Redeem" at the top of this window that you are reading my post on and put the code in. Then do what I said above.

Edited by Koniving, 09 January 2016 - 06:52 AM.

#20 Poopaw

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:58 AM

haha i was being and idiot, should have checked email, it says in there that they inject purchased content every 1 hour

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users