This Week Russ Is Asking What We'd Like To See For Clan Wave 4 Pack Omnis Circa 3053

829 replies to this topic

#21 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 11 January 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

There's a difference between "players who favor Meta Mechs" and "players who favor mechs that won't be objectively terrible in MWO regardless of the meta."

The Kingfisher? It's paying the tonnage for it's Standard 360 engine (16.5 tons paid over XL) but gets essentially nothing for that investment. Unlike IS STD assaults (which themselves virtually never run 360 class std engines because 40 tons). Then, it's still using clam weapons etc. Gross.

It would be better than you are thinking. Anything that can laser vomit for 54 damage is going to do fine. What it gets is the ability to lose a side with no inherent penalty, and they could (and should!) work ECM into it somehow, giving the Clans their ECM assault.

#22 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

He's actually been talking about individual mech packs like how the Unseen's have been released.

Check the twitter thread if you don't believe me.

Edit: Oooor he keeps changing his mind.

Edited by Lorian Sunrider, 11 January 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#23 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

View PostDamocles, on 11 January 2016 - 01:43 PM, said:

Have a solution that fits the criteria? Clan Assault Omni 3053?

Nope.

I don't think there's a decent 3053 Clan Assault Omni left. Any of them are going to be terrible choices that, in a pack, are going to see virtually no sales except dedicated fans or poor newbies who don't know any better. Newbie traps suck.

#24 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 11 January 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

I'm not sure about the Huntsman. A) it looks weird and B ) 90 +% firepower in the arms. Other than that it might be OK.

The Phantom is basically another over-engined medium like the Ice Ferret. Sure, ECM is nice, but I don't think it'll make up for having the podspace of a light.

It'd be niche but it goes about 160, which is unprecedented for a medium. Note i suggested it in place of the hellion because if you have that you're basically using it as a fat light.

The huntsman is pretty arm heavy but it also has more podspace than a stormcrow. its what the nova was meant to be but couldnt be for whatever reason, a gunboaty 50 tonner, and I think alex could make it look good.

I wouldnt go for the black lanner because it has 13 tons of podspace, which is even less than the shadowcat, which was already strapped for tonnage.

Stooping hawk has 21.5 tons of podspace (almost as much as the summoner), and a cool loadout, so it could be a good medium too.

So could the mongrel. but again, its only got 13.5 tons of podspace.

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 January 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

I'm telling you guys, Kingfisher:

Fire power roughly equal to a Timber Wolf
Best sword and board clan mech (no penalty for side torso loss, can pack firepower one side)
Modified F variant could come with ECM
Could easily see it coming with agility quirks due to it having a STD engine locked in
Doesn't have knuckle dragging arms
I could see it looking pretty cool

Im tired of assault omnis that match the timberwolf in firepower. If i bring in an assault in CW it better be more armed than a timberwolf, otherwise id just take a timberwolf. Its consistently the largest mech you ever find in my drop decks when we're clan. The assaults we have are either too slow or not worth taking because again, they have the same firepower as the timberwolf.

Thats why i wonder if the turkina could ever be made good. It'd have to jump, (like really, up, not just hover), and it'd have to go at least 60, but then id rather have that then the kingfisher. If they can't do that or are unwilling to change the stock, then the kingfisher is the one.

Edited by pbiggz, 11 January 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#25 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 11 January 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

Nope.

I don't think there's a decent 3053 Clan Assault Omni left. Any of them are going to be terrible choices that, in a pack, are going to see virtually no sales except dedicated fans or poor newbies who don't know any better. Newbie traps suck.

I actually think the Kingfisher is the best choice, AND it might come with ECM, and who knows, it could get some awesome sauce hardpoint locations. The arms already don't look very low.

#26 Flutterguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 11 January 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

Posted Image

That just means he would prefer it, just like he'd prefer a mech of each weight class. We shouldn't feel limited by those especially given how awful omni assaults are.

#27 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

View Postmartian, on 11 January 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Some suggestions that chatched my eye:

Light
Fire Falcon

Medium
Stooping Hawk - slower than Ryoken, but with optional Jump Jets
Black Lanner - faster than the Ryoken and with ECM suite

Heavy
Night Gyr - slower than the Mad Cat, but with ample pod space

Assault
Kingfisher - very durable Clan Assault

And before you ask: Yes, I know that some of them would not probably interesting for some players that favor !Meta-'Mechs". Posted Image

I could get behind the Black Lanner, it's different enough from the Storm Crow to be worth while, seems to have a decent spread of hard point locations, and depending on the art it's based off of actually looks kinda cool.

I'm not so much concerned about metamechs as maybe trying to avoid mechs that will translate so poorly they won't be much fun to use, like oh I don't know, Summoner, Myst Lynx, Gargles, and Ice Ferret perhaps.

View PostWintersdark, on 11 January 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Piranha, Huntsman, Night Gyr, and ... ugh.Kingfisher? STD360 on a Clam Omni? Gross. Naga? Needs Arrows.

There's really no decent timeline appropriate Omni assaults that aren't really bad.

Unfortunately Piranha isn't an Omni. But I agree with the Omni assaults, there's not much left to choose.

#28 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:50 PM

I saw someone post "removable jump jets" on one of the mechs the suggested - these will be locked if they select it for the game, just like all the others...

My thoughts:
Assault - Kodiak (IS has 2 100-tonners, now clans) - XL400 so it's fast, varied load-outs and a jump jet variant (don't have to be locked in to jump jets on all of them, just 1).

Heavy - Bow Man (70 tons) - This one was tough - I think the clans need a viable 60 or 70 tonner. I couldn't find anything 60 tons, so I went for a 70 tonner.

Medium - Mongrel (45 tons) - Tough choice - The Artic Wolf is way out of timeline... I'd love a 40 tonner like the Cyotl... but this one looks decent. The trick is to have better pod space than the Ice Fridge (I'm not saying 20 tons, more like 14-15 instead of 8.5) an this one looks like it will have 12-13 to play with.

Light - Fire Moth (20 tons) - it fills a tonnage gap, and you don't HAVE to include MASC (it still goes 162 without it). Should have good pod space without masc (6.5-7 tons free space).

#29 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:52 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 11 January 2016 - 01:46 PM, said:

Im tired of assault omnis that match the timberwolf in firepower. If i bring in an assault in CW it better be more armed than a timberwolf, otherwise id just take a timberwolf. Its consistently the largest mech you ever find in my drop decks when we're clan. The assaults we have are either too slow or not worth taking because again, they have the same firepower as the timberwolf.

Thats why i wonder if the turkina could ever be made good. It'd have to jump, (like really, up, not just hover), and it'd have to go at least 60, but then id rather have that then the kingfisher. If they can't do that or are unwilling to change the stock, then the kingfisher is the one.

I'm struggling to think of an objective reason to take anything heavier than a Black Knight in CW either... I bring a Highlander because I like it, but trio of Black Knights is really hard to beat, IMO.

That's a little beside the point though. I would make room for the Kingfisher if it had ECM. I could see it being useful in some situations. It will tank better than a Timber for sure.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 11 January 2016 - 01:53 PM.

#30 Kyuzo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

well i still want my Stone Rhino i'm never going to buy a dire wolf.

#31 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

For assault, the Bane. It's a battlemech but it'd become the best clan assault.

#32 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 11 January 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

For assault, the Bane. It's a battlemech but it'd become the best clan assault.

Don't you guys think the Bane would be a little ridiculous?

#33 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 11 January 2016 - 01:46 PM, said:

It'd be niche but it goes about 160, which is unprecedented for a medium. Note i suggested it in place of the hellion because if you have that you're basically using it as a fat light.

The huntsman is pretty arm heavy but it also has more podspace than a stormcrow. its what the nova was meant to be but couldnt be for whatever reason, a gunboaty 50 tonner, and I think alex could make it look good.

I wouldnt go for the black lanner because it has 13 tons of podspace, which is even less than the shadowcat, which was already strapped for tonnage.

Stooping hawk has 21.5 tons of podspace (almost as much as the summoner), and a cool loadout, so it could be a good medium too.

So could the mongrel. but again, its only got 13.5 tons of podspace.

I gotta admit, I didn't calculate the podspace on the Black Lanner. But it does have an advantage over the Shadow Cat in that it isn't as anemic in the hardpoint department. Downside is it'd pretty much be forced into laser vomit to get a respectable amount of firepower.

I will say I like the way the Swooping Hawk looks, but again, it appears like a bulk of the hardpoints are in the arms. I'm not a huge fan of that, it just makes it silly easy to lose all your firepower. It might be interesting though. I can't say I'd be opposed to it being in the game.

Edited by 0bsidion, 11 January 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#34 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

How is the Viper on podspace? Wouldn't it be good to fill in the 40 ton slot?

#35 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

There's a difference between "players who favor Meta Mechs" and "players who favor mechs that won't be objectively terrible in MWO regardless of the meta."

Before quirks are known, I think that it's difficult to judge 'Mechs. I considered unquirked TDR-9S to be a pretty mediocre 'Mech. On the other hand, TDR-9S with those (in)famous ER PPC quirks was the default IS Heavy 'Mech, especially for CW.

Ditto for hitboxes.

Ditto for exact position of hardpoints.

The Kingfisher? It's paying the tonnage for it's Standard 360 engine (16.5 tons paid over XL) but gets essentially nothing for that investment. Unlike IS STD assaults (which themselves virtually never run 360 class std engines because 40 tons). Then, it's still using clam weapons etc. Gross.

There are some Inner Sphere Assault 'Mechs that run standard 360 engine. The Cyclops, for example. Or the Ymir. The Pulverizer had it.

I think that I will simply wait for what PGI comes with.

#36 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:06 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 11 January 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

his twitter.

/rant on

I realize that I am shooting a dead horse ... but does anyone else see the ludicrous issue that some random person posts a thread on PGI's own forum to solicit feedback for the developer?

If PGI thinks the forums are a subset of MWO players (which it is) they need to get their head read in using twitter for feedback since twitter is an even smaller, likely more vocal and even more skewed subset.

/rant off :)

Back to your regularly scheduled thread ...

#37 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

Omnis I like....

Fire Falcon - Light
FireMoth - Light
Viper - Medium
Phantom - Medium
Pouncer - Medium
Linebacker - Heavy
Supernova - Assault

And how about Non- IIC 2nd line Mechs?

Vixen - Light
Hellhound - Medium
Glass Spider - Heavy
Stone Rhino - Assault

And I think the Babbon would be just plain fun like the Urbie is for the IS.

#38 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

Fire Falcon
Viper
Linebacker (BESM represent)
Turkina

I wouldn't might it if they did a saber like package with this one considering how many medium omnis there are currently. If anyone is wondering about the remaining omnis:

Lights:
  • Fire Moth
  • Fire Falcon
Mediums:
  • Viper
  • Battle Cobra
  • Phantom
  • Pouncer
  • Coyotl*
  • Mongrel
  • Huntsman
  • Black Lanner
  • Stooping Hawk
Heavies:
  • Crossbow
  • Lupus*
  • Linebacker
  • Night Gyr
  • Woodsman*
Assaults:
  • Kingfisher
  • Turkina
* - Denotes mechs technically no longer produced or in service.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 12 January 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#39 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostMawai, on 11 January 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

/rant on

I realize that I am shooting a dead horse ... but does anyone else see the ludicrous issue that some random person posts a thread on PGI's own forum to solicit feedback for the developer?

If PGI thinks the forums are a subset of MWO players (which it is) they need to get their head read in using twitter for feedback since twitter is an even smaller, likely more vocal and even more skewed subset.

/rant off Posted Image

Back to your regularly scheduled thread ...

Its probably because if Russ posted a thread here requesting desired mechs, he would have to sift through a whole bunch of rant posts and angry people, so its easier to get it from the people on twitter who typically aren't {Richard Cameron}.

Last time Tina combed through these threads counting votes so its all good.

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 11 January 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

Pretty much all my favorites are already in, so I'm not sure. I'd say the Naga, but Arrow IV takes that out. Blood Asp is 7 years in the future. Maybe the Woodsman, but meh. Maybe Mongrel?

The Lupus might actually be decent/good. 60 tonner with ES/FF, balanced loadouts possible, ECM, removable JJs, Roughly 26 tons of podspace.

For a light they could do Fire Falcon. 130 Kph. Missiles, energy galore, even ballistic. Looks like a pretty decent 25 tonner, kinda looks like it does everything right the Mist Lynx got wrong, except maybe lack of ECM.

I'm sure everyone else has some ideas.

I actually like the Woodsman a lot.

Me, I'm sticking to my guns, and only going for correct in timeline chassis,
-Fire Falcon (3052)
-Huntman (3049)
-Crossbow (2870)
-Turkina (3052)

My alternates would be Pouncer for a Medium, and then Woodman for the Heavy. Don't have any other Lights or Assaults I give a rip about, pre 3053. (Would love a Novacat, but that's 3059)

I know the Crossbow is actually a relatively weak mech, but I just have always loved it...cool underdog design, and I think they look great
Posted Image

Plus, it's a given that we WILL see the Nova Cat and Night Gyr in game. An absolute given. Would love to see a few less popular designs like the Crossbow and Woodsman get a chance.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 11 January 2016 - 02:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users