This Week Russ Is Asking What We'd Like To See For Clan Wave 4 Pack Omnis Circa 3053

829 replies to this topic

#41 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

View PostAdamBaines, on 11 January 2016 - 02:07 PM, said:

Omnis I like....

Fire Falcon - Light
FireMoth - Light
Viper - Medium
Phantom - Medium
Pouncer - Medium
Linebacker - Heavy
Supernova - Assault

And how about Non- IIC 2nd line Mechs?

Vixen - Light
Hellhound - Medium
Glass Spider - Heavy
Stone Rhino - Assault

And I think the Babbon would be just plain fun like the Urbie is for the IS.

I don't get the appeal of the Linebacker. It has the exact same profile as the Nova, and we all know what issues that caused. Is it nostalgia?

And while I don't think every mech has to have over-the-shoulder hardpoints to be worthy, there's a certain point where the arms are slung so low they're just going to make the mech not much fun to play. Maybe that's just me.

#42 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

For Clan Wave 4 I would like a working, enjoyable CW. Otherwise I can wait for c-bills.

#43 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 11 January 2016 - 02:16 PM, said:

I don't get the appeal of the Linebacker. It has the exact same profile as the Nova, and we all know what issues that caused. Is it nostalgia?

And while I don't think every mech has to have over-the-shoulder hardpoints to be worthy, there's a certain point where the arms are slung so low they're just going to make the mech not much fun to play. Maybe that's just me.

It's the big engine, the slowness of the Night Gyr considering that you have more tonnage than you know what to do with is what holds it back. Laser vomit is still the main thing to do, and the Night Gyr really doesn't really have any advantage in that regard.

Not really swayed towards one or the other, but would prefer a Clan heavy that goes faster than 81kph stock than one that goes slower.

#44 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

MONGREL! that better be the medium or else Russ!...:P

#45 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

Also, super cheesy wave:

Incubus
Vapor Eagle
Black Python
Bane

#46 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 11 January 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

For Clan Wave 4 I would like a working, enjoyable CW. Otherwise I can wait for c-bills.

So Phase 3 if we hold onto hope?

#47 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 11 January 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

It's the big engine, the slowness of the Night Gyr considering that you have more tonnage than you know what to do with is what holds it back. Laser vomit is still the main thing to do, and the Night Gyr really doesn't really have any advantage in that regard.

Not really swayed towards one or the other, but would prefer a Clan heavy that goes faster than 81kph stock than one that goes slower.

It could do dual gauss with 4 ER MLs and jump jets though.... or LPL/ML + Gauss as well.

Do you know how much pod space the Linebacker has? I never know where to look that up easily.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 11 January 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#48 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:36 PM

I'm feeling like...

Light - Fire Falcon
Medium - Huntsman
Heavy - Night Gyr
Assault - Bane

Please no Black Lanner or Phantom, or Viper. I'm sick of over-engined mechs with just enough pod space to pack a few mediums or a bunch of small lasers. Choose a medium that affords the opportunity to use more omnipods than those that pack the most energy points. That mech is the Huntsman.

Check Sarna, all of the omnipods available to those 3 mechs are straight trash, outside of an arm here or there that has multiple energy.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 11 January 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#49 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:36 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 January 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

It could do dual gauss with 4 ER MLs and jump jets though.... or LPL/ML + Gauss as well.

EBJ can dual Gauss as well with only 1 less ERML and actually runs quite a bit faster, the only real benefit the Night Gyr has is a bit more armor and JJs, which to me is kinda meh, especially since you will be slower. I'm not saying it won't be good necessarily, but it won't be this monster that I think people believe it will be, unless we see some balance update.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 11 January 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#50 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 January 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

I actually like the Woodsman a lot.

Me, I'm sticking to my guns, and only going for correct in timeline chassis,
-Fire Falcon (3052)
-Huntman (3049)
-Crossbow (2870)
-Turkina (3052)

My alternates would be Pouncer for a Medium, and then Woodman for the Heavy. Don't have any other Lights or Assaults I give a rip about, pre 3053. (Would love a Novacat, but that's 3059)

I know the Crossbow is actually a relatively weak mech, but I just have always loved it...cool underdog design, and I think they look great
Posted Image

Plus, it's a given that we WILL see the Nova Cat and Night Gyr in game. An absolute given. Would love to see a few less popular designs like the Crossbow and Woodsman get a chance.

The Woodsman looks cool, and it probably wouldn't be too bad really. I'm just not too sure about how much of a priority it should have because it's mostly considered obsolete at this point. But it's not like I'd be mad if it was part of the pack.

The Crossbow, though, makes the Summoner look like a veritable hard point extravaganza. That's going to be a tough sell. I get the whole wanting obscure mechs thing, because I'm pretty much the only one ever voting for the Helepolis. Seriously, I'm like the only one that thinks it'd be cool to have.

#51 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 January 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

Do you know how much pod space the Linebacker has? I never know where to look that up easily.

17.5 tons.

#52 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 11 January 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

EBJ can dual Gauss as well with only 1 less ERML and actually runs quite a bit faster, the only real benefit the Night Gyr has is a bit more armor and JJs, which to me is kinda meh, especially since you will be slower. I'm not saying it won't be good necessarily, but it won't be this monster that I think people believe it will be, unless we see some balance update.

Well the EBJ wouldn't have enough ammo, and would have a significant amount of armor stripped... and no JJs.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 11 January 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#53 Grimm Peaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEnjoys long walks with Assault mechs

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but both the Bane and Annihilator are both capable of changing their engine as they are not omni's right? Wouldn't either of them fill the gap between the Dire and the Warhawk as you could upgrade their engine beyond the 300xl or 200xl?

They aren't omni's per Russ's preference but to be honest, being an omni-mech is more of a hinderance than a bonus for a lot of mechs.

#54 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

Linebacker has 17.5 tons and 4 locked DHS? That is pretty limiting... Could do 2 cLPL and 2 cERMLs I guess. Or some surms and cSPL... I dunno.

#55 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 11 January 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

The Woodsman looks cool, and it probably wouldn't be too bad really. I'm just not too sure about how much of a priority it should have because it's mostly considered obsolete at this point. But it's not like I'd be mad if it was part of the pack.

The Crossbow, though, makes the Summoner look like a veritable hard point extravaganza. That's going to be a tough sell. I get the whole wanting obscure mechs thing, because I'm pretty much the only one ever voting for the Helepolis. Seriously, I'm like the only one that thinks it'd be cool to have.

here's my reasoning... the meta mechs" and the nostalgia and popular ones are locks for getting in. The only way we are going to see our more obscure mechs is to push and campaign and take any chance one can get.

#56 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

View PostGrimm Peaper, on 11 January 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but both the Bane and Annihilator are both capable of changing their engine as they are not omni's right? Wouldn't either of them fill the gap between the Dire and the Warhawk as you could upgrade their engine beyond the 300xl or 200xl?

They aren't omni's per Russ's preference but to be honest, being an omni-mech is more of a hinderance than a bonus for a lot of mechs.

Granted Russ did say 'ideally' which means they'll probably look at omni's first, but I suppose it doesn't rule the Bane out if there's enough support for it. The Annihilator is IS though, so pretty sure that won't make the cut.

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 January 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

Linebacker has 17.5 tons and 4 locked DHS? That is pretty limiting... Could do 2 cLPL and 2 cERMLs I guess. Or some surms and cSPL... I dunno.

Yeah, 17.5 tons AND the lowest slung arms I've ever seen on a mech that wasn't a quad. Basically it looks like the Nova's big brother.

#57 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 January 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

How is the Viper on podspace? Wouldn't it be good to fill in the 40 ton slot?

8.5 tons, with "maximum efficient" (minus ~6 points)
If MGs weren't worthless, it would have been a Clam Ember (with 4MGs, 5ERMLs)

View PostLuminis, on 11 January 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

Neg, 16.5 tons. It lacks a ton of armour stock.

#58 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

The Viper has basically ACH level of firepower then, but has 10 truedubs at least.

I guess that is pretty underwhelming but it would be nice to have a 40 tonner. I could see it being a little better than the ACH at some roles.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 11 January 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#59 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

I want my Firemoth and Viper. The rest be damned.

The Viper would be a pretty solid addition to the game and would fill the 40 ton gap.

#60 Grimm Peaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEnjoys long walks with Assault mechs

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 11 January 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

The Annihilator is IS though, so pretty sure that won't make the cut.

Annihilator seems to have been sldf and clan before it was IS, so everyone had it at one point or another. IS didn't get them till after the clan invasion. So at our current timeline of 3052, only the clans and the in-disguise wolf's dragoons had them and the dragoons only had a handful.

[color=#000000]Originally developed in the final year of the [/color]Amaris Civil War[color=#000000] as the ultimate fixed position city defense [/color]BattleMech[color=#000000], the [/color]Annihilator[color=#000000] was built as a sign of the military strength of both the [/color]Star League in Exile[color=#000000] and the newly created[/color]Clans[color=#000000]. The 100-ton 'Mech has a maximum speed of 32.4 km/h, making it one of the slowest 'Mechs ever designed together with the [/color]UrbanMech[color=#000000]. It is by no means intended to use speed to outmaneuver an enemy, instead depending on its twelve and a half tons of armor to weather any fire that is directed at the 'Mech. Discontinued before the Clans' [/color]Golden Century[color=#000000], in one of their few missteps, the [/color]Wolf's Dragoons[color=#000000] brought a number of designs with them in[/color]3009[color=#000000], raising more questions to their origins while at the same time adding to their mystique. It was exclusive to the Dragoons until the [/color]Jihad[color=#000000] disseminated the design to [/color]Arc-Royal[color=#000000] due to the strengthening of the relationship that Wolf's Dragoons forged with the [/color]Kell Hounds[color=#000000] and [/color]Clan Wolf-in-Exile[color=#000000] following their flight from [/color]Outreach[color=#000000].[/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users