• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:57 AM

View PostKhereg, on 12 January 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

-MS- ponders its next move...

(scratches chin and stares thoughtfully into the distance)

You guys should roll into Davion and REALLY screw up the picture. Or Liao and attack both Marik and Davion. Those three need to mix it up and have some interest in their lives, lacking the Clans to butt heads with. Hey - we're still Beta, right?

#42 Flutterguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

I love these threads, they always end up with the mammal heads complaining about how godlike the IS have become while the green birdies are all like "nah, it's all cool just get good".

#43 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 12 January 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Go Clan so the map irrefutably proves that Clan mechs are OP again.

View PostMurphy7, on 12 January 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

Go Davion, and try to build a golden ring around the galaxy.

I think MS's next challenge should be galactic map art projects.

View PostxLAVAx, on 12 January 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

The BWC is recruiting!

http://the-bwc.com/

Posted Image

View PostDawnstealer, on 12 January 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

You guys should roll into Davion and REALLY screw up the picture. Or Liao and attack both Marik and Davion. Those three need to mix it up and have some interest in their lives, lacking the Clans to butt heads with. Hey - we're still Beta, right?

There seems to be a critical element missing from all of these wonderful suggestions...

(glances at unsigned contract sitting forlornly on corner of desk)

#44 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:52 AM

It's not impossible, just hard mode.

#45 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostJoseph Ward, on 12 January 2016 - 12:16 AM, said:

Until IS mechs or drop tonnages or quirks etc get the culling/nerfing they deserve - I can't see the point in playing as Clan. This game just isn't canon now. Clan tech is supposed to be better - albeit coming at a much higher cost.

Maybe Clan mechs should be cheaper to buy now? no?

I really hope PGI sorts this out - before all trueborn and loyal clanners such as myself just give up on playing CW.

What's that? you're IS and you disagree? switch sides and let us know how you get on.

No, they are not supposed to be better - this is a 12v12 player vs. player game. They should be balanced. And they should not be better for a higher cost, because that is either Pay-to-Win, or it just means they are simply unbalanced.

Go play a dice game if you want unbalanced teams. MW:O is a 12v12 game, so you should not ask for one side to be stronger than the other.

And don't bother asking for 10v12 or 8v12, because that would set a precedent where Clans are more fun to play than the IS. That would hurt the game's viability.

Please don't ask to harm the game's viability. Nobody would want to use sh***y IS Mechs if ClanTech was outright better. In Halo: Combat Evolved terms, who the heck would line up in queue to play as Grunts against Spartans if they have the option to be a Spartan? Spartans are more fun - they jump higher, have more health, better weapons, and more targets to shoot at, which means more kills.

Nobody who cares for this game would ask for anything other than balanced teams.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 12 January 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#46 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

View PostWolfways, on 12 January 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

It's not impossible, just hard mode.

It also doesn't help that SWOL bolted you guys for the short-term. Honestly, there are very few units I drop against when dealing with the Wolves that worry me, even in the pre-quirk days: if it wasn't -MS- or SWOL, it was usually a group of kids who grew up reading Stackpole and thought that the Wolves get victories on name alone (Davion players had a similar illusion early on, but got over it).

So the Wolves problem is twofold: you lost a huge part of your population when the mercs left, but...you also lost the core of your experienced and talented players.

That's not to say that the Wolves don't have any talented players, but I know if I'm playing a mixed group of Wolves, even in a PUG drop, I have a fair shot at winning that game.

Against the Falcons, for example, it's much more of a crapshoot. Do what Steiner did, do what Davion did, do what Liao did: organize, train people up, rather than calling bad players "newbs," try actually offering suggestions. Take them under your wing. Tell them why their build is wrong for CW and what they should do to fix it.

#47 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

MS is about to go clan. Don't know if the balance is as bad as the OP think but the IS are indeed much stronger than before.

The tonnage increase is cool as long as its short term. Not a big fan of being able to have 4 65t heavies and its already too late for PGI to program variant or class restrictions. People already bought premium dupes just for CW and if PGI took that away there would be a riot.

#48 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 12 January 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

MS is about to go clan. Don't know if the balance is as bad as the OP think but the IS are indeed much stronger than before.

The tonnage increase is cool as long as its short term. Not a big fan of being able to have 4 65t heavies and its already too late for PGI to program variant or class restrictions. People already bought premium dupes just for CW and if PGI took that away there would be a riot.

Yeah, the tonnage bump is the one thing I think there's a valid whine about. Granted, the Clans got one, too, but at this weight, Lights are becoming exceedingly rare, and that's sad.

#49 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:00 PM

View PostFlutterguy, on 12 January 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

I love these threads, they always end up with the mammal heads complaining about how godlike the IS have become while the green birdies are all like "nah, it's all cool just get good".

And Jaguars are like "Wait, what? When did this happen?"

Ghost bears don't care, they're busy doing something.. else.

#50 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 12 January 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

MS is about to go clan. D

Ah Kin3ticX - always letting the cat out of the bag.

See you (very) soon clans. Let's find out how OP the IS really is.

#51 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

My unit just played 2 weeks as Jade falcon.

Not impossible at all, and not "hard mode" either. Even though most of us didn't have developed clan dropdecks we had absolutely no problem winning matches as clan, and obviously it got easier as we learned how to play CW as clan with the different play style that requires.

Balance seems just fine to me for the most part, barring a few minor tweaks here and there. Equal and lower tonnage limits, a little reduction of blackjack structure and...well that's pretty much it. Perhaps a few minor quirk buffs for some of the weaker clan mechs and a little structure and agility on the worst 2cs to increase clan diversity, but the strongest clan mechs are absolutely fine.

I will admit that clan mechs are a little more skill intensive than than IS, you need good skills and teamwork to take advantage of the superior and better synced speeds, you need to be good at kiting and finding range sweet spots, you need good aim to make use of the superior but longer duration clan lasers and burst dakka, and you need good shielding skills to make use of the more durable but less protected clan XL. That is of course very much in accordance with the spirit of clan lore, high potential but demanding to play.

Clan mechs are absolute powerhouses if those basic abilities and coordination are there, I would have a hard time telling whether my clan or IS dropdecks are stronger at this point, which is exactly as it should be.

#52 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostKhereg, on 12 January 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Ah Kin3ticX - always letting the cat out of the bag.

See you (very) soon clans. Let's find out how OP the IS really is.

Smoke Jags? They need help.

#53 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostKahnWongFuChung, on 12 January 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

It don't matter CW is dead the game is dead and boring if the devs don't do a major expansion with new game modes and missions or something this game will become a graveyard.

Sure CW is dead, with at least one planet 99+/99+ over the weekend at all times (no event last weekend either).

#54 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

Funny, my unit recently did a tour with the Jade Falcons, had no problems killing other groups fast.
The gap between IS and Clan is a lot smaller than it used to be, no more easy mode i'm afraid.

#55 Flutterguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

View PostKHETTI, on 12 January 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

Funny, my unit recently did a tour with the Jade Falcons, had no problems killing other groups fast.
The gap between IS and Clan is a lot smaller than it used to be, no more easy mode i'm afraid.

To be fair, it sounds like the CW experience for the Jade Falcons is very different compared to the lesser clans.

#56 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 12 January 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

Smoke Jags? They need help.

Sounds like a good rumor to post:

http://mwomercs.com/...s/page__st__340

Edited by Khereg, 12 January 2016 - 01:12 PM.

#57 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

Clan players learned to play CW with op tech. You could run a potato, face-tank charges and just bumble along and win based on tech advantage.

Now that advantage is gone. Potato builds are actual potato builds. Running a potato vs meta probably feels unbalanced. Bumbling along vs practiced to strats will feel like getting slaughtered.

However good players in good builds running good strats do great, even against other good players in good builds with good strats.

Clans are balanced now. All these threads have in common the "Clans are supposed to be better" caveat because at the core of it all its saying that if they don't have OP mechs, if they don't get an advantage, they won't play.

In which case nothing of value is lost.

#58 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 12 January 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

And Jaguars are like "Wait, what? When did this happen?"

Ghost bears don't care, they're busy doing something.. else.

We are busy owning in CW while not complaining about IS/Clan crap

#59 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostFlutterguy, on 12 January 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

To be fair, it sounds like the CW experience for the Jade Falcons is very different compared to the lesser clans.

As a solo pug or small group that is probably true, but we usually run a fairly big group so we're just commenting on the tech itself.

#60 Korrner

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

Have not read the whole thread, but I have seen enough posts made by Clan pilots claiming that CW is as good as ever to realize one thing: it has nothing to do with mech balance, everything to do with community movements.

Right now, the numbers are with IS ... let's say IS has so many ppl playing that for every battle fielded by 12 Clan pilots, there are 3 of those fielded by IS pilots.

When that happens, the CW map doesn't reflect anything other than demographics. It's not about mechs being nerfed or over-powered (there is a little bit of that, but I do not think it's enough of a factor to explain the CW map) ... since being able to field 3 times as many pilots on the battlefield will give you the map territories, even if you lose most of your fights (we'll always win ghost drops).

So please, if you will complain, analyze things correctly. Cause in a duel, Clan mechs still beat IS mechs (most of the time). So it's not about Clan mechs now being bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users