Std Brawlers

48 replies to this topic

#21 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

You have any goo input for shawls void angel?

#22 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

Any good builds? Post them here!

#23 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

Why yes I do.

This is my Best Build - it's the one I linked before, and the one I competed with in the Phoenix Package leaderboard they had a while back. It's versatile, packs a punch close-in, and it's the most agile (because quirks) of any variant in the chassis. This is the only Shadowhawk build that I currently run: that's how much I like it. If you've already mastered your Shadowhawks, that's the one I'd recommend.

Other options include Dropping the Hammer, which you can fit roughly onto any Shadow Hawk. There's also builds like More Dakka, but I really don't recommend them - particularly if you're looking to get in close and use men's weapons.

#24 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:54 AM

Hmm kinda slow and has a xl engine. How do u play it effectively? Is close range but slow and vulnerable with xl

#25 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 15 January 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

This is my Best Build - it's the one I linked before, and the one I competed with in the Phoenix Package leaderboard they had a while back. It's versatile, packs a punch close-in, and it's the most agile (because quirks) of any variant in the chassis. This is the only Shadowhawk build that I currently run: that's how much I like it. If you've already mastered your Shadowhawks, that's the one I'd recommend..

Just curious, why do you run 2 ASRM6's instead of 3 SRM4's? The spread and heat are just about the same and you will save 2 tons and 3 critical slots. Something like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0052fdeb6fc723a

#26 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:04 PM

Well, the 2ASRM6's are still cooler, and should still have a better spread than a standard SRM4 array, which is important - additionally, the focus for the build is on the AC/10, with the other weapons as backup for brawling. On the other hand, the build is also highly efficient, so I may be well served in trading heat for more dps, depending on the actual difference in spread. Then again, if I go that route I may just be better served by keeping the two SRM6's and adding the SRM4... I may have to test that sometime. A good question; thanks.

#27 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 18 January 2016 - 09:04 PM, said:

Well, the 2ASRM6's are still cooler, and should still have a better spread than a standard SRM4 array, which is important - additionally, the focus for the build is on the AC/10, with the other weapons as backup for brawling. On the other hand, the build is also highly efficient, so I may be well served in trading heat for more dps, depending on the actual difference in spread. Then again, if I go that route I may just be better served by keeping the two SRM6's and adding the SRM4... I may have to test that sometime. A good question; thanks.

yeah I dont like yours much either.

How I would run it.
SHD-2H

plus the CD between the SRM4's and Ac10 is .5 seconds. Better alphas.

Edited by mogs01gt, 19 January 2016 - 08:42 AM.

#28 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

why the 2h instead of the grey death or the 2d2? thought those were the better variants... just curious

#29 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

Quirkses! The 2H has much better mobility than other variants, including the Grey Death, as well as slightly better cooldown quirks for the AC/10. The Grey Death is an acceptable substitute, however - simply use more lasers and less missiles. Also, I don't own the Grey Death, but I did get the Phoenix package, so the 2H gets a c-bill bonus.

You have to remember a couple of things about 'mechs when people recommend them:
  • First, the "best variant/chassis" is like Best In Slot lists for MMORPGs - often, the "best" item is only the best when combined with the other items in the list - your mileage may vary, depending on your own gear at the time. When people advocate a chassis variant as "the best," they often have some kind of particular build in mind, often to conform to the accepted meta. For the laser vomit meta, the 2H is abysmal; it only has one energy hardpoint! But, there are other weapon systems available, and once you factor in quirks...
  • Similarly, the meta is only a guide. It works for a reason, of course, but your own skillset and preferences (or just the 'mechs you own,) may reward you more for playing a modified style. In this instance, my build came out of a cobbled-together generalist playstyle. I wanted to use the 2H in solo matches, so I didn't want to focus all on one range: the AC/10 gave me a good balance between dps, range, and pinpoint damage, with the SRMs backing me up once things got close (that's why they don't have a lot of ammo.) For the hide-and-poke Gauss/Vomit meta, it's not so hot on its own - but if I focus on supporting a big 'mech like at DakkaWolf or a brawler Atlas, I don't have to use that meta.

#30 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 19 January 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

yeah I dont like yours much either.

How I would run it.
SHD-2H

plus the CD between the SRM4's and Ac10 is .5 seconds. Better alphas.

I promise mine works. However, it was an older build that was cobbled together and left in the hanger several SRM changes ago - upon testing, the SRM4 battery works best, largely due to the placement of the "head" SRM at the top of the right torso (so no convergence hit.)

PS: Alpha synchronicity isn't much of an issue due to the differing ballistic characteristics of the weapons.

Edited by Void Angel, 19 January 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#31 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

i believe you that yours works, just trying to somehow get viable shadowhawks going again, and be worthwhile, ill look into building this up

#32 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostCD0UG, on 13 January 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

so standard engine is better for brawling..

anyone have any good Shadow hawk Builds using a standard engine?

IMHO, the only way to brawl effectively in a medium is with speed, jump jets and SRMs.......

If you can achieve all those with a STD engine, give that a try.

Edited by Fade Akira, 19 January 2016 - 05:16 PM.

#33 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:45 PM

This Build Here has carried me well on my way through my tour of the Inner Sphere during CW. It has a short, vicious and brutal life, but gives as good as it gets.

This One is great for leading a charge. The stock engine allows it to keep up with a Madcat, should you need to chase one down to keep hammering it with your missile spread. It's the one variant I didn't strip the engine on.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 19 January 2016 - 05:49 PM.

#34 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:29 AM

Hmm OK I'll have to look into this, I'm liking the looks of the 2nd build, due to better speed and stuff, just have to figure out how to survive with a xl engine I guess, I do like speed tho u cannot go under 80k lol

#35 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

View PostCD0UG, on 19 January 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

i believe you that yours works, just trying to somehow get viable shadowhawks going again, and be worthwhile, ill look into building this up

Use the SRM4 Build. =)

But if you're looking to avoid being outgunned by a Locust at 80+ kph, they're right - you're going to need an XL.

View PostLeone, on 19 January 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

This One is great for leading a charge.

Suggestion! Put ammo in your head. Ammo only has a 10% chance to explode when destroyed in the first place, and the number of times you take a headshot that penetrates the armor, and inflicts a critical, and hits the ammo, and detonates the ammo, and wouldn't have killed you anyway... is very small.

Edited by Void Angel, 20 January 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#36 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

OK I may reduce a bit of ammon to try and get going at least 85k

#37 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

Sweet! A word of caution, though: if you drop too much ammo to buy the 270XL, it'll tend to be expensive to fix; and in the current environment, I recommend AMS. Though your mileage on enemy LRMs may vary based on when you play and who your opponents are, the new map especially has seen a resurgence in LRM use recently, so I recommend AMS in any build that you can squeeze it into.

Edited by Void Angel, 20 January 2016 - 10:26 PM.

#38 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

any more idea's or good builds? dont have to be standard engines can be XL

#39 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:40 AM

For the Shadowhawk? I think I've given you all the ones I know - the important thing in building 'mechs is to know what that playstyles and builds the 'mech can support, and then building in what you want to do. For me, I had the M0AR Dakka thing going on for a while (have to be careful about positioning,) and an AC/20 build, too. But both of those felt too dependent on my team in the PuG environment (positioning doesn't matter if everyone just hides and your 55-ton 'mech is the ONLY target available.) So I decided to trade a little punch for some heat-efficient ranged poke, put in the SRMs to avoid being undergunned, and added the medium laser to have something that wasn't ammo dependent. Boom; a build is born.

When mocking up possible builds, I usually decide what kind of combat I'm going to use it for - close-range brawling, fast harassment, long-range sniping, etc. Then I max the armor in Smurfy, put in a 200-rated engine or something for a placeholder, and then add the guns I want to try. After that, I fiddle with Endo-Steel and Ferro-Fibrous, make sure I've got things like jump jets and ECM if available, replace the engine with something bigger, and see what I have. The Weapon Lab gives me a good idea of how hot I'll be running, and I use that to balance the size of my engine - if I can't fit enough heat sinks or big enough engine, I'll swap out weapons and see where I'm at.

#40 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

Strictly brawlin lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users