48 replies to this topic

#41 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

Well, for brawling, you have two styles - you have burst fighters, and you have sustained hitters. Something like an Atlas D-DC, Hunchback 4G, or My Shadowhawk is a sustained hitter, while a burst fighter would be something more along the lines of a Large Laser boat, or AC/20 Blackjack. With a sustained build, you want heat efficiency and fast weapons - something like pulse lasers, SRMs, or an AC/20. This lets you stay in the fight while you keep on pounding the enemy (whether or not you're taking a lot of damage yourself.) A burst fighter has more of a hit and fade style, preferring to open up with a high alpha or three and then fade away to cool down. This type of brawler usually sports a heat-intensive build, or weapons with longer burn times that require them to stare at targets (pulse laser boats generally fit the bill here.)

#42 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

i like being in clsoe with friends, using terrain you know, but, liek to be in the action lol, but hate going super slow as i feel manuverability is key to effective brawling

#43 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

Well, it is key, but don't confuse maneuverability with speed, per se. They're related, but to be a brawler, you also need to be tough. So a Hunchback makes an excellent brawler (with its hunch quirks,) while other 'mechs like the Catapult don't, purely due to hitboxes. Similarly, some variants are better than others at brawling - consider the guys earlier in the thread who felt that Shadow Hawks aren't maneuverable enough to be really good brawlers; which might be true of some variants - but the 2H and Grey Death have turn speed bonuses. =)

An Atlas, for example, doesn't go fast (unless you're a Boar's Head, but that's not a brawler build,) but it has quirks to survive in combat, and to maneuver in the brawl (turn speed, twist speed, twist range.) So when evaluating a brawler, you want to have a relatively large engine, and lots of sustainable weaponry. There's not a magical speed minimum to which you must adhere - just make sure you're maneuverable enough to shield your vulnerable components and keep your enemies in front of you.

#44 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

I currently have a maxed 2d2 and a grey death, you recommend looking into a 2h for brawling purposes?

#45 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

That's the build I enjoy - I never picked up the Grey Death, though I may some time. But for brawling, the 2H has turn rate bonuses, just like the 2H. And, you need to have three variants to get the most out of any chassis - even just the doubled basics are important. So if you're looking for another brawling chassis, and only have two variants, you definitely want the 2H.

#46 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

i think i had it but sold it not sure, but i have the all elite tiers unlocked for both grey death and 2d2, i will look into the 2h tho since u speak so highly about it....

#47 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

The Grey Death is a close substitute - the important bit is the 20% extra turning speed.

Plus, with the Grey Death, you get a c-bill bonus. I get that from my Shadow Hawk because I bought a Phoenix Package, so it's not a point for me.

#48 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 23 January 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

The Grey Death is a close substitute - the important bit is the 20% extra turning speed.

Plus, with the Grey Death, you get a c-bill bonus. I get that from my Shadow Hawk because I bought a Phoenix Package, so it's not a point for me.

The Grey Death also has better structure quirks.

#49 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

And better laser quirks, but inferior torso twist rate - I'm not being exhaustive, here. Structure quirks are nice, but really that's going to be one extra good shot that doesn't kill you. Since I'm recommending the 2H as a support brawler rather than a knife-range all-in fighter, the structure isn't as important as the turn speed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users