778 replies to this topic

#721 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostSandpit, on 19 January 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

Later in a related conversation with another player, Russ specifically stated and SUGGESTED that they could form a 1man unit to drop in unit queue. NO units would be allowed. That's what he means by learned the lesson from the first solo and group queue separation when they originally allowed small groups into the solo queue.

That's what I mean. That one statement is being taken out of context from the entire conversation it was used in. Bish was involved in the 1man unit conversation IIRC as well. It all originated from me reposting my questions to Russ about the separation.

So youre saying that Russ is saying that Small groups would not be allowed in Solo que, but Large groups would be?

Edited by JaxRiot, 19 January 2016 - 05:18 PM.

#722 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

i think to much is being read into this twitter fest that is going on.

and it all centers around definitions of groups / units, which is fair to say some people see a group as being a unit just not wearing tags, while others see groups as a separate entity to units.

My feelings on it ?? groups are far closer to units than people like to admit.

If your coordinating in any manner to join with a player over being randomly paired with someone, you are forming a unit and a group. The only difference between the two is a tag, and how often you might group with those particular players.

Until PGI gives a greater distinction for units over group with rewards / objectives etc that are exclusive to units, things will remain as they are with the only thing separating groups / units is the letters used to form the words and one of them wears tag's.

This is a major contributing problem that some refuse to recognize is damaging some CW players experiences and thus hurting CW.

Playing in a coordinated group is not solo play. A solo que would ( should ) be by definition for solo's, not for people in groups, with or without tag's.

Sandpit, you've made your own assumptions about twitter comments made, including ones with you directly, as you've heard them only in the way you perceive that is favorable to your crusade. I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions with such a distorted bias against the whole idea in the first place. Its very obvious your searching for anything that will help turn opinion against que splitting or invalidate the whole idea, its divisive and causing conflict.

you've been against groups not being able to drop against solo's for whatever reasons. The fact it may be occurring has obviously renewed your vigor to stopping it in anyway possible. why ??? player volumes have been ruled out as an issue ( aka horrendous wait times for rounds ), the bland and shallow game mode that CW is has been canned as being "hard mode" as the way it is currently couldn't be further from it. So why are you so opposed to changes being tried ( remember ITS BETA still ).

You seem to shift from objection to objection, trying to confuse terminology's and misrepresent others to suit your needs along the way, so forgive me if i think your doing it again here with this whole groups / units thing and what Russ has posted on twitter. Ultimately the town hall will shed some light, but nothing is final until phase 3 hits and even then, ITS BETA SO IT AN EXPERIMENT. You seem so opposed to trying something while preferring to keep things as broken as they are.

The only thing that is certain right now is that separate ques are coming, one of which is going to be labeled "solo" in one form or another ( lone wolf / merc whatever, who knows ?? ), in what is beta phase 3, THIS IS THE TIME TO TRY THINGS AND SEE IF THEY WORK / HELP / MAKE THINGS BETTER, opposing changes for the sake of it, without considering wider aspects and other changes, while fighting to keep the current inequity and imbalance that exists in CW is just utterly pointless.

PGI will do as they have always done, what they want.

Edited by Bonger Bob, 19 January 2016 - 05:31 PM.

#723 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

View PostJaxRiot, on 19 January 2016 - 05:18 PM, said:

So youre saying that Russ is saying that Small groups would not be allowed in Solo que, but Large groups would be?

i hope you're being facetious...

#724 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:55 PM

Let me put it this way. I think Russ' heart is in the right place. I think he's going about it in a way that isn't really going to help, divert resources from other areas and things that could help.

#725 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

A true threadnaught, so much conjecture.

After all this does anyone know when he podcast is and when phase 3 is being added?

#726 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

View PostSandpit, on 19 January 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

Let me put it this way. I think Russ' heart is in the right place. I think he's going about it in a way that isn't really going to help, divert resources from other areas and things that could help.

very fair, iv'e long held a similar belief that Russ and PGI as a whole are very easy to over commit, under deliver all at the cost of other aspects of the game that could use fixing / expanding.

still, i'd rather see them do and try something, rather than watch them do nothing pretending what we have is great, when its far from it. Its an experiment, why not give it a go ??, there is nothing we aren't already losing that it might cause us to lose, no amount of talk from any player is going to have them shift development where the players think it should be.

It is set to happen unless mass amounts of players start bombarding PGI with complaints ( and it MIGHT go the way of Pauls lazor lock on convergence ), and even if that was happening, we'd have no way of knowing until it was announced.

which lets face it, there is a minor handful that have expressed disgust over the idea, i'd say more have come out here in favor of it, than against. Then there's those that are undecided either way, and just want to play the game who won't even comment here. We all as forum posters are a minority anyways.

now this is genuine though you may believe otherwise, I have concern for you as a human being in general, that your getting yourself way to riled about this. How much sleep have you lost typing and replying here ??, most of which your seething anger has been evident, to what end ??? your not going to sway public opinion the way you go about it, nor with any great effect. Your too blinded by rage to see anyone else's perspective, and ultimately the rage you bottle up DOES take a toll on your health over time, trust me.

up until 4 years ago, I was in a high stress job, dealing with di*kheads and morons who couldn't put their own arse out if it was on fire, had they even realized. I sit here now, starting every day shiteing blood for around 4 hrs each morning, to then spend the rest of the day not eating otherwise i start violently throwing up until i puke blood. I have ulcers, hernia's, hypertension and several other things that would turn you off food for a week if you experienced them.

ALL AS A RESULT OF ATTEMPTING TO CHANGE THINGS I CAN NOT MIXED WITH YEARS OF CONSTANT STRESS. I was extremely well paid for my work, which i did for 15 years, now i have little to compensate me for it other than a massive file of health problems. My job is now filed by someone else who is in exactly the same boat, until his health fails as a result of the stress, or he gets out before it goes.

Some things are not worth it dude, it is after all, just a game. Change your perspective a little and the grass might be greener now.

#727 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

View PostSandpit, on 19 January 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

i hope you're being facetious...

Just trying to figure out what you are trying to say

Are trying to say that Groups (of any size) will be allowed in Solo que or not?

#728 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 19 January 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

A true threadnaught, so much conjecture.

After all this does anyone know when he podcast is and when phase 3 is being added?

the townhall meeting is looking to be sometimes at the end of this month

Phase 3 Q1 (Spring) of 2016

View PostJaxRiot, on 19 January 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

Just trying to figure out what you are trying to say

Are trying to say that Groups (of any size) will be allowed in Solo que or not?

yes, group size isn't a factor, simply tags

#729 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

View PostSandpit, on 19 January 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

So when Russ posted this- https://twitter.com/...744940311367680

Youre taking it as he is referring to Units not being able to drop in Solo que as a group. But non Unit players can drop in Solo que as a group?

I dont know man. Seems like youre stretching it a lot.

Russ was very clear throughout all of those conversations when distinguishing between solo, groups, and units, but then suddenly he meant something else? And everyone else except you of course is taking it out of context?

Seems awfully thin man.

And why would a que named Solo que involve groups? Solo means one, or alone.

I think you are purposely trying to spread misinformation but for what purpose I cant say for sure.

Maybe you are hoping that if you can fool enough people into getting upset, that you can point to these kinds of threads as proof that the splitting of ques is unpopular and hopefully they pull the plug.

But you have to know.. PGI actually knows the truth. These kinds of misinformed threads wont sway them. They know people are being misled.

Even if you do manage to fool people, the charade cant go on for very long. The Town Hall in a couple of weeks is going to reveal everything. Including your misinformation.

And then where will that leave you?

Looking like a liar and a drama queen?

And all that trouble just to try and keep it so that Units can keep fighting Pugs?

But I guess I could be wrong even though Im pretty sure I got it right. We will all find out for sure on the 29th though

Edited by JaxRiot, 19 January 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#730 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostSandpit, on 19 January 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

Thanks. I was hoping for phase 3 to be a lot sooner. Well I hope its good and I hope they are working on other things to. :)

#731 MechWarrior5081902

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

View PostKhereg, on 14 January 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

I'm curious if anyone would leave their unit to be able to play in the non-unit queue and/or if this serves as a deterrent to players joining units.

Because I could see leaving -MS- for a week, heading over the non-unit queue, farming a few 4k+ damage games and then coming back. You know, if I needed the c-bills or epeen or something...

PGI just separated out the guppies from the sharks, but it's pretty easy for a shark to put on a guppy disguise and go swimming for a bit.

I really dont think you guys get the idea... PGI is trying to keep things fair for the seals, because at the end of the day MORE people buying mech bays is good for everyone, seals who give up, are NOT buying mech bays, if you run enough of them off, you lose your game. PGI has already been forced to make a deal with the devil (Steam) to save the game. Do you guys really want to lose it ?

#732 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostPrimal Vengeance, on 19 January 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

I really dont think you guys get the idea... PGI is trying to keep things fair for the seals, because at the end of the day MORE people buying mech bays is good for everyone, seals who give up, are NOT buying mech bays, if you run enough of them off, you lose your game. PGI has already been forced to make a deal with the devil (Steam) to save the game. Do you guys really want to lose it ?

We might still lose it anyway though:(
The focus of this game is gradually shifting to a pure pug, solo only experience. Bad news for an online game, MWO isn't WOT..
I'm worried about the unit queue, it'll concentrate the playerbase more forcing the smaller casual groups vs the more comp players and anyone tagged that just wwants to chill for an hour and drop solo.
Also un tagged groups of friends will be trapped in group pug Q if they want to play together-no CW for them!
The only section of players this really benefits is the solo casuals who have no interest in the social/teamwork aspect of MWO.
Are they the biggest spending section of the playerbase?
As others have said, how will units try to recruit now? Most randoms never go on forums because...well...why not? There is no in game recruitment hall or UI feature. Plus for many solos, why go into unit queue where games will be harder when you can lol your way through solo games? These players will NEVER see unit players will they? That one thing makes a dangerous situation for playerbase/community.
The community growth needs some robust IN GAME features, SOONER rather than later. This focus on the solo casual is dangerous for longevity as we don't have the addictmill that WOT has.

MW4/MW3 survived for so long due to the communities that sprang up.
Us group players are NOT the small, insignificant people many prosolos think we are, cam MWO afford to start losing us? I await this townhall with baited breath, Russ is trying to do the right thing, but I think he's very misguided about the WAY to do it. I passionately feel prosolo isn't the way forward, long term. Every game I have played where it has gone like that has failed hard over the lasr 12 years or so.

#733 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 20 January 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

MW4/MW3 survived for so long due to the communities that sprang up.

exactly
same with EVERY MW and MC game.

#734 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

It's really difficult to even get a CW drop sometimes due to small queue populations. Segregating more isn't going to get it done.
period

#735 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

We might still lose it anyway though:(
The focus of this game is gradually shifting to a pure pug, solo only experience. Bad news for an online game, MWO isn't WOT..
I'm worried about the unit queue, it'll concentrate the playerbase more forcing the smaller casual groups vs the more comp players and anyone tagged that just wwants to chill for an hour and drop solo.
Also un tagged groups of friends will be trapped in group pug Q if they want to play together-no CW for them!

some would rate it more as opening up options for solo's that are largely neglected. If enough players want it, there is demand for it. And it's not based around punishing groups, its about adding more options.

if friends want to and do regularly group and game together, that's what unit's are for.

The only section of players this really benefits is the solo casuals who have no interest in the social/teamwork aspect of MWO.
Are they the biggest spending section of the playerbase?

there is a difference between socialization and teamwork, they are not mutually dependent and exclusive.
some of the most anti social people iv'e come across in years of MMO gaming have been masters of team work AND leading such things. If anything their ability to separate social aspects from the teamwork and leading has been the a boon for the team, there were situation when we ( the groups ive been in with other MMO's ) have sought out just such a person for leading due to their ability to lead and plan without buying into to socialization crap that causes favoritism and bias.

who know if they are the biggest spending section of the player base, those figures could fall either side of it depending on which week / month / year you looked at or are we talking on average for the entire games history ??, you could find numbers to reinforce both sides of the fence if you pick which figures and periods you might look at. Ultimately who cares either way, they do represent a portion of the games spending, and as such should be allowed to experience the content as they see fit.

As others have said, how will units try to recruit now? Most randoms never go on forums because...well...why not? There is no in game recruitment hall or UI feature. Plus for many solos, why go into unit queue where games will be harder when you can lol your way through solo games? These players will NEVER see unit players will they? That one thing makes a dangerous situation for playerbase/community.

The community growth needs some robust IN GAME features, SOONER rather than later. This focus on the solo casual is dangerous for longevity as we don't have the addictmill that WOT has.

well highlighted, the fact that for a team based MMO game as it claims to be, there is little to no team building tools in the game. The que split is just a que split, its would have little effect on recruitment if the appropriate team building tools were in the game. The only reason it does possibly have impact, is because people have been working around what PGI has left out of the client for a long time.

So your basically saying lets keep the systems ( ques that favor units/groups lining up against solo's ) broken, because we don't have the other things we need ( team building tools ) , while hoping that a section of player will start to conform to using the game the way you prefer ( solo's are not going to be forced into units/groups, even if the tools were in the game ), while saying that unless those player types represent the largest portion of spending, the should suck it up so you can continue to use a workaround for recruiting. And you claim to need this ( minority? ) section of players to sustain volumes for units/groups or the ques will stagnate.....while claiming its perfectly OK to have groups/units dropping against sides comprised of true solo's ( people that you attribute to missing teamwork skills because they don't want to socialize ).

got it......it makes so much sense now............

we're arguing over not having the ques split because the sustained imbalance and distortion of the campaign map and CW matches is being used for recruitment to supplement missing tools in the game client, that we expect people to use no matter what there play preference is, while denying those people any recognition for money they have spent because units/groups MAY have spent more money depending on which time frame and period you look at.

is the insanity of this clear enough now ???

TL:DR - the que split has little to do with so many of the things that people keep trying to peddle as excuses for not having change. So much of it seems based on units/groups being legit facing groups of random solo's, and their right to remain doing so.

how about we direct the doom predictions to where they belong, PGI and its refusal to integrate team functions, team building, and management tools to the game client is resulting in the groups/unit philosophy the game is based on slowly dying. The que split does place emphasis on this problem further, but is not the cause of it, nor the solution to it.

It does however allow those that have spent money on the game, to enjoy a larger aspect of the game with less inconsistency, this is both the solo player AND the groups / units. If your a group / unit you don't need to be facing totally inferior opponents, any limiting factor on that is positive.

Edited by Bonger Bob, 20 January 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#736 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

View PostSandpit, on 20 January 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

It's really difficult to even get a CW drop sometimes due to small queue populations. Segregating more isn't going to get it done.
period

I have never had issues getting a drop in CW. The worst wait times iv'e had have usually been due to the time im trying to get a drop ( right before and after ceasefire seems a lttile dead sometimes ), outside of that its not usually more than 5 mins. Ive had longer waits in quickplay.

I have had long wait times in CW for a drop i would prefer to go on over another more popular one with the choices offered. This is an attack lanes problem, with there being too many of them sometimes. The battle of Tukk showed the populations are more than ample when the attack / defend lanes are more refined, and that was pre-steam player base numbers, which have now taken populations levels to its all time highest.

Population problem are not the issue, unless you think that there are less players in units/groups than there are in the solo's sections. If that is the case, then the problem lies with PGI not having made units/groups more central to the gameplay, you know with something more than a tag and reliance on community funded and maintained 3rd party sites and voip.

#737 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

View PostBonger Bob, on 20 January 2016 - 05:34 PM, said:

I have had long wait times in CW for a drop i would prefer to go on over another more popular one with the choices offered. This is an attack lanes problem, with there being too many of them sometimes. The battle of Tukk showed the populations are more than ample when the attack / defend lanes are more refined, and that was pre-steam player base numbers, which have now taken populations levels to its all time highest.

uhm
that's what i said
weeks ago
Yet you continue to want to argue about it instead of actually reading and supporting ideas to help improve things.

#738 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

View PostSandpit, on 20 January 2016 - 05:38 PM, said:

uhm
that's what i said
weeks ago
Yet you continue to want to argue about it instead of actually reading and supporting ideas to help improve things.

I have no problems supporting changes, but then we fall back to that of topic and more general discussion of CW.

I don't want to argue, but i will not watch as debate is turned of topic and misrepresentation of other issues is being used to relate exclusively to que splits negatively.

You continue to bounce from problem to problem as to why the split is bad, without attributing the true causes of the issues to the right sections, other sections of the game. All you've done is continually blame the que split for problems that exist already in other sections of the game, and the que split hasn't even happened yet.

every time you trot out one of your previous misdirection of blame excuses, im more than happy to remind you where the true source of the issue you've outlined is. Stop blaming the que split for every negative thing in the game, problems that im happy to point out exist already without the split.

Edited by Bonger Bob, 20 January 2016 - 05:55 PM.

#739 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

View PostBonger Bob, on 20 January 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

I have no problems supporting changes, but then we fall back to that of topic and more general discussion of CW.

I don't want to argue, but i will not watch as debate is turned of topic and misrepresentation of other issues is being used to relate exclusively to que splits negatively.

You continue to bounce from problem to problem as to why the split is bad, without attributing the true causes of the issues to the right sections, other sections of the game. All you've done is continually blame the que split for problems that exist already in other sections of the game, and the que split hasn't even happened yet.

every time you trot out one of your previous misdirection of blame excuses, im more than happy to remind you where the true source of the issue you've outlined is. Stop blaming the que split for every negative thing in the game, problems that im happy to point out exist already without the split.

the true cause is irrelevant to this discussion.

There are PLENTY of threads discussing "trust causes" with viable solutions as well. This "solution" here, this isn't going to fix the issues.

Of that you are correct.

#740 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:39 PM

View PostSandpit, on 20 January 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

the true cause is irrelevant to this discussion.

There are PLENTY of threads discussing "trust causes" with viable solutions as well. This "solution" here, this isn't going to fix the issues.

Of that you are correct.

I'd agree, if you look at it as the only thing they are doing, without doing anything in future. But its not the only thing they are doing now or in the future.

Its not going to cause game breaking issues either, it just lets some of the other issues become more plain to see.

It does offer an expanded environment to play the game for some players, and a less tainted environment for groups / units. Change that expands the games appeal and play-ability for some players, while also removing a time sink for others, is positive.

Should they stop at this, HELL NO, there's so very many other things they need to do too, but at least its something, simple to code, that can be done now, not later after things not changing has driven away more players.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users