Competitive Shadowhawk Builds

20 replies to this topic

#1 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:28 AM

Lets discuss best builds for shadow hawks and there play style!

#2 Saroxis

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:53 AM

I love shadow hawks but in my opinion they currently are outclassed completely by the Black Jack, with that said the BJ-1 and SHD-2H(P) are tied for my most drops.

I have a SHD-2H(P) and SHD-5M set up exactly the same XL275, 2xAC5, 1x ERPPC, 3.5 tons of AC5 ammo,3x Class IV JJ, endo steel, and double heatsinks. I play them as mid range fire support, but ammo can be a problem so its best to only shoot what you can hit inside your optimal range. With torso twisting and a top speed of 87 I never really regret the XL.

Another fun build is The Gray Death STD 265, 4x ML, 2x JJ, 1x AC/20 with 3 tons of ammo, Double heatsinks, Endo Steel, and Ferro Fiberous armor. I play it in support of assault mechs and have a ton of fun and crank out some crazy damage and kills with it. ML x4 in arm mounts to chase off pesky lights and AC/20 to blast whatever the assaults shoot.

#3 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

yes i love shadowhawks as well, but not matter what i do it just seems like its still subpar to some other mech

#4 Learchus

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

I just made this yesterday and has been working alright for me, runs into the same issue of other mechs can run it better.

I took a 2h, added an AC/5 (might change to UAC/5) 1 LL and 3 Streak SRM 2's. The idea was to hunt lights, but turned into a decent close-Midranged direct fire support platform. Still a bit sluggish, but does the job

#5 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:39 AM

View PostSaroxis, on 19 January 2016 - 06:53 AM, said:

I love shadow hawks but in my opinion they currently are outclassed completely by the Black Jack, with that said the BJ-1 and SHD-2H(P) are tied for my most drops.

I have a SHD-2H(P) and SHD-5M set up exactly the same XL275, 2xAC5, 1x ERPPC, 3.5 tons of AC5 ammo,3x Class IV JJ, endo steel, and double heatsinks. I play them as mid range fire support, but ammo can be a problem so its best to only shoot what you can hit inside your optimal range. With torso twisting and a top speed of 87 I never really regret the XL.

Another fun build is The Gray Death STD 265, 4x ML, 2x JJ, 1x AC/20 with 3 tons of ammo, Double heatsinks, Endo Steel, and Ferro Fiberous armor. I play it in support of assault mechs and have a ton of fun and crank out some crazy damage and kills with it. ML x4 in arm mounts to chase off pesky lights and AC/20 to blast whatever the assaults shoot.

280xl, not a 275.

#6 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostSaroxis, on 19 January 2016 - 06:53 AM, said:

I love shadow hawks but in my opinion they currently are outclassed completely by the Black Jack,

Posted Image

. . . My word.

Never thought I'd see that posted somewhere. Posted Image

EDIT: Not arguing the point Saroxis; just waxing nostalgic. Mastered both chassis when they first came out and the Shawk was the middle weight meta for a good while, back when it turned like a mid 80's Camaro instead of a Semi (which, y'know, still wasn't phenomenal, but it was better).
'Jacks were an acquired taste when they first came out. (I adored them before the structure buffs; Mastered a Boomjack before it was the Champion and the Fastjack before it was meta #mwohipster ;) )

Edited by juxstapo, 28 January 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#7 AesopTails

• Pip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:51 AM

I got a Shadowhawk for fun, but no idea how to make it competitive.

I just wanted a fun UAC5 medium dakka boat. I like the cooldown and -30% jam chance on the 5M so I bought it. I had fun with this, but damn is it squishy. Fun to play with... but no game changer for sure. DakkaHawk. Add a UAC5 module along with the nice quirks, man I could keep firing forever it fells like.

Then I decided to try out the XL engine on it and a different build. So this one has a UAC5 and a AC5 with 2 MPLs. flying Dakkahawk. I've had more success as it's so much more easier to position yourself. People don't expect that much DPS right on top of them or behind them.

Next build I want to try is the Sniperhawk. 2x ERLL, Gauss with jump jets. What a shame it doesn't have the same cooldown as the other variants. I would love the 25% cool down of the 2H with the energy quirks of the M.

Just from my playthroughs, the Shadowhawk is such a big target. Me and my buddy decided to run mediums. Him a Hunchback, me the 5M. He was able to hide behind the buildings more effectively than me. Heck, I couldn't hide behind some of the buildings because I was so tall. Such an easy target to hit.

Still a fun dakka boat though. Posted Image

#8 Scynter

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

I like using the SHD-2K with 3 ERLL in the left shoulder and as big of an engine I have lying around. The energy torso mounts are quite high. Of course, that's the problem I have with the Shadowhawk, it feels about as tall as a Battlemaster.

#9 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:59 AM

The only Shak I still have is the Phoenix variant, SHD-2H. I run XL300, AC10+4tons ammo, 3xSRM4 + 2 tons ammo, 3 JJs. Kicks ***.

(For Solo/Group queue. I don't use it in CW.)

Edited by Cabusha, 07 February 2016 - 02:00 AM.

#10 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:08 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...63067bc1a20b5eb
put the 3 AC2 on two seperate Weapon groups, Chainfire them, crazy Dakka Dakka Dakka speed due to cooldown quirks, use the Laser to scratch off the paint and then your AC2s to remodel the internals.

#11 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:04 AM

This is what i use:

SHD-2D2 - Mobile Support LRM platform:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e965752af2c8d71

SHD-2D - Close to Midrange combat:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d4b418350ef1ad

SHD-5M - (This is my oldest build, so i can't really say if this still works, my other builds have been succesfully field tested)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68e1d7271c20cee

#12 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:32 AM

View PostLearchus, on 28 January 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

I just made this yesterday and has been working alright for me, runs into the same issue of other mechs can run it better.

I took a 2h, added an AC/5 (might change to UAC/5) 1 LL and 3 Streak SRM 2's. The idea was to hunt lights, but turned into a decent close-Midranged direct fire support platform. Still a bit sluggish, but does the job

This sounds similar to my current SHD-2D build (AC10 / 3xML / 3xSSRM2). I also find it works quite nicely as a short-to-mid-range fire support platform. It's my thus far most successful attempt at making a "lore-correct" Shadow Hawk, using all of an autocannon, laser and guided missiles, work in MWO, as it has a decent mid-range focus.

I think overall Shadow Hawk is a super cool looking classic, but one that just doesn't fit the MWO meta very well. If you use all hardpoint types and locations, it's just a hard way to deal damage compared to running a ludicrous number of lasers, in high hard points, set to a single mouse button. They're also about a dozen times more fun to run than one-button boats.

The variants you see in higher tier play and CW tend to be a handful of special cases, where people mount a maximal amount of fire power in the shoulder: 5M with 2xUAC5, 2H with 3xAC2, and 2K with 3xERLL.

#13 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:06 AM

Just don't do this:
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5e88bea5e0c8d7c[/smurfy]
Took me about a dozen games to realize I was 10 tons underweight - held together surprisingly well I must say.

#14 Quinton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 134 posts
  • LocationThe Wasteland

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:28 PM

I run the SHD-2K with a pair of ERLL in the left torso, and 4 SRM4 in the right torso, as well as a 280 standard with 2 tons srm ammo, it runs a little hot, but I can usually rack 5-600 damage. I'm thinking about dropping an SRM4, ton of ammo, and a ton of something else (not sure what) to fit 2PPC into the left torso mounts, they will have a similar heat profile but with more pinpoint damage.

#15 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:31 AM

View PostQuinton, on 07 April 2016 - 10:28 PM, said:

I run the SHD-2K with a pair of ERLL in the left torso, and 4 SRM4 in the right torso, as well as a 280 standard with 2 tons srm ammo, it runs a little hot, but I can usually rack 5-600 damage. I'm thinking about dropping an SRM4, ton of ammo, and a ton of something else (not sure what) to fit 2PPC into the left torso mounts, they will have a similar heat profile but with more pinpoint damage.

Put an XL in it. There are zero reasons to try and become more "tanky" since most clan mechs have 40+ alphas anways.

#16 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:25 AM

This is a good Shadow Hawk.

SHD-2K

#17 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 05:28 AM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 26 February 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

Just don't do this:
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5e88bea5e0c8d7c[/smurfy]
Took me about a dozen games to realize I was 10 tons underweight - held together surprisingly well I must say.

here what you could do with those 10tons

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7c4c166be17fdaa

#18 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:34 PM

I always felt they looked like they had a CCTV Camera in place of whatever head used to be there, but that's just me.

#19 Funk1777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

2xLPL 3xSRM4 SHD-2D

Cant comment on this particular variant's quirks as I just clicked the link where it was 10 tons short and modified it a bit.

#20 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:51 PM

the 2K is the best variant

this is a beast if play correctly

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users