Heads Up Mw2 Sound Mod Users [Updated: Pgi's Response]

52 replies to this topic

#1 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Just noticed this small change in the revised Code of Conduct that wasn't there in the original:

The following actions are strictly forbidden:
  • ‘Injecting’ third-party files that may not directly modify game files.

The MW2 sound mod provided by the beer warriors has been loved for quite some time by many folks in the community, but it's always been in a gray area due to the fact it didn't technically modify the game files.

This particular line in the CoC revision puts an end to that though, so if you're still running the MW2 sound mod, you're no longer skirting the gray area, and are in clear violation of the CoC.

Sorry to bring you this bad news, but it's a lot better than potentially having moderation action taken against you, as I'm sure ignorance to the revised CoC is not an acceptable excuse.

Update:
Somebody tweeted this question to Russ and it sounds like the MW2 sound mod is an exception allowed by PGI. In this case I figure it will be treated like SweetFX, where it cannot be officially endorsed by PGI, but they will not take moderation action against those who do.

Posted Image

Edited by Aresye, 19 January 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#2 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:53 AM

Well, that sucks terribly.

Hopefully they'll give us an alternative... seriously this mod doesn't hurt anything so it frankly makes me a little sad they'd want to take action against it like this.

#3 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

Also would affect those running Sweet FX and Reshade?

I am running the sound pack but not these. Need to uninstall it :(

#4 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

Because that is totally enforceable.

#5 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:15 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 19 January 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

Just noticed this small change in the revised Code of Conduct that wasn't there in the original:

The MW2 sound mod provided by the beer warriors has been loved for quite some time by many folks in the community, but it's always been in a gray area due to the fact it didn't technically modify the game files.

This particular line in the CoC revision puts an end to that though, so if you're still running the MW2 sound mod, you're no longer skirting the gray area, and are in clear violation of the CoC.

Sorry to bring you this bad news, but it's a lot better than potentially having moderation action taken against you, as I'm sure ignorance to the revised CoC is not an acceptable excuse.

While it sucks they've put that in, it's also something they can't really "know" unless you like, record yourself with it past the date that was added to the CoC. And you could argue about what's being modified too.

Not very enforceable (At all?) but thanks for the heads up. I guess the legal grey area is just too much of a mine field. Or they hope to sell us sound packs later?

#6 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:18 AM

View PostSkoll, on 19 January 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

Because that is totally enforceable.

Actually it is, they can very easily look at the files you have in your /game directory, and it's even EASIER for them to do it with steam.

View PostPika, on 19 January 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

While it sucks they've put that in, it's also something they can't really "know" unless you like, record yourself with it past the date that was added to the CoC. And you could argue about what's being modified too.

Not very enforceable (At all?) but thanks for the heads up. I guess the legal grey area is just too much of a mine field. Or they hope to sell us sound packs later?

Actually, through the patcher, they can easily examine what files are within your MWO dirrectory's.

#7 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

I can think of few easier ways for PGI to squander all the goodwill they've gained back during the past few months than to take action against people using something as harmless as a soundpack.

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

I think it's there only so that they can cover an incident if they need to. As long as it doesn't provide any edge or advantage, I'd image PGI probably would do nothing about it. (Now, if you had it so that it would loudly beep every time someone looked at you, that would probably be an issue, as it enhances your situational awareness.)

Plus, they would have to have a way of finding out about a sound change add-on like the MW2 sound changes.

If you want to be safe though, remove the mod. If you aren't too caring about possible repercussions, then... whatever. (Someone could also E-mail support with this question. They should be able to clarify it.)

Edited by Tesunie, 19 January 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#9 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

I imagine this particular CoC change has to do with some hack or another they discovered. I very much doubt PGI is gonna throw a fit over a sound mod for some nostalgic fans. Why be the bad guy if you don't have to be right?

#10 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostSkoll, on 19 January 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

I can think of few easier ways for PGI to squander all the goodwill they've gained back during the past few months than to take action against people using something as harmless as a soundpack.

The problem is, it can arguably be used for things beyond just the sound pack. While sure, the MW2 sound pack is 100% innocent, and can be argued to be actually detrimental to the player using it [certain sounds not quite playing right, not giving proper audio feedback to the user] the same kind of techniques can easily be used for wallhacks and other, less than innocent mods.

At the end of the day, it's better to say "no mods at all" than open up the game to exploitative "mods"

#11 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostSkoll, on 19 January 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

I'm forced to agree.

The MW2 sound mod is great in some cases like the lasers and missiles, but the autocannon weapons don't sound as good, due to the MW2 ACs being rapid fire.

Maybe the Clan ones sound better, but I couldn't say for sure.

This is just going to piss off yet more people.

#12 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 19 January 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

The problem is, it can arguably be used for things beyond just the sound pack. While sure, the MW2 sound pack is 100% innocent, and can be argued to be actually detrimental to the player using it [certain sounds not quite playing right, not giving proper audio feedback to the user] the same kind of techniques can easily be used for wallhacks and other, less than innocent mods.

At the end of the day, it's better to say "no mods at all" than open up the game to exploitative "mods"

I hate to break it to ya, but modifying a few files like that doesn't a wallhack make.

#13 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostSkoll, on 19 January 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

I hate to break it to ya, but modifying a few files like that doesn't a wallhack make.

I'm sure some cleaver person could probably devise a sound "hack" that would beep every time the game checks to see if someone can see you or something. Just a possible example of what one could possibly due.

#14 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

Not a big issue, the patcher does not scan files to verify no modifications have taken place.

Until it does so there is no way to enforce this from the sound mod perspective (sans idiots recording/streaming using it)

And no they can't scan the files in secret.

#15 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostSkoll, on 19 January 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

I hate to break it to YOU... but File "injections" DO make wallhacks.

I'm not new to the block Skoll, I've been PC gaming since 1995. And I'm well aware how one goes about utilizing these kinds of hacks.

There ARE wall hacks, aimbots, and various other dubious "mods" [I use that term with sarcasm] That either inject their code into existing files, or utilize extra files placed in the game folders to do their dirty work.

Both styles of modifications to the game are covered by this ToS change.

#16 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostTesunie, on 19 January 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

I'm sure some cleaver person could probably devise a sound "hack" that would beep every time the game checks to see if someone can see you or something. Just a possible example of what one could possibly due.

Wouldn't that require hacking the server as all that aspect is done server side.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 19 January 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

Unfortunate....since it's not like it impacts gameplay.

Kind of like the Winter Olympic officials going after the USA Snowboarding team... because apparently pot is a "performance enhancing substance"........

#18 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

Honestly, I think it's in there for legal reasons. I imagine in reality they won't take any action against anyone using the sound files.

#19 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 19 January 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

I hate to break it to YOU... but File "injections" DO make wallhacks.

I'm not new to the block Skoll, I've been PC gaming since 1995. And I'm well aware how one goes about utilizing these kinds of hacks.

There ARE wall hacks, aimbots, and various other dubious "mods" [I use that term with sarcasm] That either inject their code into existing files, or utilize extra files placed in the game folders to do their dirty work.

Both styles of modifications to the game are covered by this ToS change.

Congratulations on your tenure in PC gaming. There is still zero way to enforce this despite what you may think.

#20 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostPika, on 19 January 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

Honestly, I think it's in there for legal reasons. I imagine in reality they won't take any action against anyone using the sound files.

No, this is an avenue they can exploit for money allowing it to be done for free would prevent that

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users