Remove The New Map

390 replies to this topic

#381 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:36 AM

wow... so bitter about a new map.. Honestly, if the map bothers you that much, take a break for a few weeks, or a month,,, and then the map will just be a random map like the others.. the reason why it's played so much is it is brand new..

get it through your brains not everyone plays every day, and when people do finally play a game or a few for the next few weeks, because they have not played in a while, will want to play the new map.

FYI, before voting,, new maps popped up way more often than the others, as they are testing them. playing a new map non stop when it is launched is nothing new.

Edited by JC Daxion, 23 January 2016 - 10:37 AM.

#382 1Grimbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 22 January 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

That, and the map seems to encourage stupid plays, like fast mechs running off and dying a km from the rest of the team

those would be called scouts sir

#383 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:42 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 22 January 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

Of course, far worse than the map issues are the idiots who assume anyone who doesn't like it "doesn't know how to play' the game. Newsflash: people can have differing opinions about a game, and it can have nothing to do with skill levels. I swear, sometimes it seems like everything is an epeen competition around here...

When I state that people who dislike the map "don't know how to play" (or something to that effect), it is primarily directed at those people who only can only say "i hate this map because LRMs" or "i hate this map because i can't play like i normally do" (or, again, something to that effect).

The fact of the matter is that this map *PUNISHES* you for deathballing, sitting back too far away from your team (isolation), not having proper scouting/intel gathering, cresting/poor movement choices, thinking that a "team" consists of 12 individuals who happen to have the same color-code, lack of patience or any combination thereof...and it *REWARDS* team play (Lights scoutting/support, Mediums acting as skirmishers while the Heavies and Assaults do what they do best)

If you are getting pounded by LRMs it's because someone is doing something wrong... it may not be you that is doing the wrong thing, it could be that you don't have lights where they should be and the enemy does and is spotting. If you are getting sniped at from 1,000+ meters away, someone is doing something wrong.

The fact of the matter is that MechWarrior: Online is, first and foremost, a *TEAM* game. The match that you are in is not all about you, it's all about the 11 other players plus yourself.
Do you absolutely *need* to have comms with some sort of drop-commander to be a team? No, but it helps.
Do you absolutely *need* someone to have the shiny star calling the shots and all that stuff to be a team? No, but it helps.
Do you absolutely *need* to bring the best/most competitive mechs in the game that are specced out for the meta? Not at all.

What you *need* as a team of 12 players who aren't communicating (that is the Solo-Drop queue for the most part) is to have a good, solid, understanding of *your* battlefield role and execute that role to the best of your ability.
In addition, you should also have a significant degree of situational awareness; that is knowing and understanding where you are, where your teammates are and having a good idea of where the enemy is and where they're going...and sharing that information with your team. There are tools already present in this game that allow you to do this stuff, use them.

The fact of the matter is that a LOT of people *LACK* these basic skills...and a lot of earlier maps did not much to change this...until now.

So when I come back with something like "you should really learn how to play this game" when someone starts spouting off reasons why they hate Polar Highlands, it's because the people that are hating on the map have shown me through their complaints that they don't understand the fundamentals aspect of this game being team-oriented.

#384 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

View Post1Grimbane, on 23 January 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

those would be called scouts sir

And as soon as I can magic them up every game on Polar Highlands, it'll be fine.

That's my biggest problem with the map: "It forces teamwork." "It requires scouting." "It plays like no other map."

Yeah, I get that - but if the other 11 guys on my team don't, I die, lose, and get trash for rewards. Heck, all the other team needs is really 1 or 2 more guys on their team who "get it" and they win. It reminds me way too much of why I hate CW - the game is decided by the match pairings at the start vs. actually PLAYING the game.

Up against a team full of LRM's with good scouting and NARC? Congrats - on Polar Highlands, that's basically an auto-loss for your team unless you happen to bring the same thing or have a tightly coordinated group of scouts and brawlers who will push hard on command... which does not happen in the solo queue. It's not much different than being part of a PUG and being paired against a 12-man in CW; you lost before the match started.

A map like this simply is not fun to play in solo queue because you are heavily at the mercy of the luck of the draw with your team mates, far more so than on other maps: scouting, LRM's, ability to push a coordinate brawl, etc. In a group-queue only environment, this map would work, but for solo play, it is horrible.

#385 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

Ive not played it in a group setting yet, had some go good, some go bad. Enjoyed the battles each and every one.

#386 stun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

Just an FYI, i've won 22 out of 28 matches so far in solo que on Polar Highlands.

All without taking a single lrm, not even one. Why? Because lrm's are bad and they are only good at taking advantage of the stupid, by splashing useless damage all over the mech. You don't need lrms to win on here.

#387 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:38 PM

I'd rather see players who complain about a new map removed Posted Image

#388 Nakor

Rookie

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:54 PM

This map is so great I can't handle it. Lovely MW4 era terrain, solid gameplay and best of all its covered in salty goodness.

#389 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:10 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 23 January 2016 - 06:58 PM, said:

That's my biggest problem with the map: "It forces teamwork." "It requires scouting." "It plays like no other map."

So you're saying that new maps should look/feel/play like every other maps? Because that's exactly what it sounds like you're saying.

Not trying to be a **** or put on too much snark, that is what it sounds like you're suggesting.

I am going to be clear: MechWarrior: Online is a TEAM-BASED game. Regardless of what mission/mode you're playing on. It's a shame that PGI has done a terrible job of ensuring that everyone who plays this game completely understands this key, fundamental aspect of this game.

...and it doesn't help at all that PGI has done a lackluster job of facilitating this fact via maps, in-game comms, etc. which has turned around and created/allowed for a lot of bad habits and a certain mentality in this game.

Yeah, I get that - but if the other 11 guys on my team don't, I die, lose, and get trash for rewards. Heck, all the other team needs is really 1 or 2 more guys on their team who "get it" and they win. It reminds me way too much of why I hate CW - the game is decided by the match pairings at the start vs. actually PLAYING the game.

Then take command and try to guide these other 11 guys. A lot of people will wander around and do their own thing because they lack any real instruction. As soon as someone starts taking charge and commanding/coordinating, they will more than likely start following orders, just because any strategy is better than no strategy.

...and at the very worst, none of the listen to you, but hopefully you will be able to educate some of those guys so that they "get it" as well. You just have to know how to communicate with them.

Up against a team full of LRM's with good scouting and NARC? Congrats - on Polar Highlands, that's basically an auto-loss for your team unless you happen to bring the same thing or have a tightly coordinated group of scouts and brawlers who will push hard on command... which does not happen in the solo queue. It's not much different than being part of a PUG and being paired against a 12-man in CW; you lost before the match started.

If you have 1-2 good scouts with NARC/TAG and 1-2 LRM boats, or most of the team has an LRM launcher as a supplementary/backup weapon, it doesn't matter what map you're on, you're going to get rekt...as long as they're all working together as a team.

And that whole 12-Man thing is BS in CW. 12-man teams are beatable. I have beat 12-man teams as a PUG. The *ONLY* thing that they have on PUGs is they have coordination. PUGs can pick that up too, but they have to drop that 'Rambo' mentality and start thinking/acting like a team. Heck, FRR does it all the frikkin' time.

A map like this simply is not fun to play in solo queue because you are heavily at the mercy of the luck of the draw with your team mates, far more so than on other maps: scouting, LRM's, ability to push a coordinate brawl, etc. In a group-queue only environment, this map would work, but for solo play, it is horrible.

Are you kidding? I have had great luck with this map, as a Solo. And I have mostly been doing brawling.

#390 Dont Brawl With This Atlas

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:35 PM

bump map is bad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users