Ever Have That Mech You Just Want To Love...but You Are Horrible In It?

171 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

Been playing TT Battletech since 1987, every single MW video game title... for 29 years.

My first mech ever? WHM-6R Warhammer. Been my favorite mech ever since. Have run that same character all these years, most of them, in that same old Warhammer.

And finally for the first time since the Crescent Hawk games.... I have my Warhammer again. I even can make it match my custom TT build (and improve it slightly).
Posted Image
And I suck in it. Horribly.

Yeah... it's a little squishy. Yes, my refusal to take the PPCs out of the arms doesn't help. And yet I see others do the same.... and are fine. But these.... are my lowest scoring heavies...and it's not close. My Dragons score higher. My stock Summoner Prime almost doubles the avg score.

It's that having to admit, I'm a mediocre Heavy Pilot at the best of times. I'm a Medium Jock. In an FPS, without that mobility.... I just stink. I'm still happy that it's here, and love how it looks..... but....

So yeah... 29 years in the making... and it's probably the worst fit for me of any mech. But I freely admit, the breakdown in this relationship.... it's not the Warhammer's fault. It's mine.

But realizing that still makes me a saaaaaad panda.

How about you guys, any tales of broken Mech homes, and heartbreak and woe?

and.... I think they have hit their final evolution
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I have started getting builds I make work... still not a great heavy for me, but getting better... and more importantly the builds seem to fit me.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 23 January 2016 - 01:27 PM.

#2 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,537 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

The Vindicator Posted Image

On a more serious note because half the time it is the Vindi that is bad, not the pilot, I would say Shadow Cat, I've seen people put up better numbers in the thing than I can, and it makes me sad because I used to pilot the Shadow Cat A LOT back in the MW4-HC days. I just can't play it right even though I have no problem using the BJ-1X and BJ-3 and they fulfill a similar role.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 21 January 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#3 Apnu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

The Zeus. I had such high hopes for it, but alas. I suck with it.

If we could raise arms up to shoulder level. Things would be better for the Zeus, Warhammer and quite a few others.

#4 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

What build are you running?

#5 MacBeth

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSeattle

You might be psyching yourself out and putting undue stress on your self when you pilot the Warhammer, play another mech and take a moment and breath. I imagine the play style will come to you. Where do you think you're going wrong? Whats yer build look like?

As of this moment... My brawler HGN 733 is fighting me tooth and nail... It has moments of brilliance and I think we've come to joyful union, the next... It's said no and clawed the ever living hell out of me and I'm forced to crawl back to my 732b and 733C.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:41 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 21 January 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

The Vindicator Posted Image

On a more serious note because half the time it is the Vindi that is bad, not the pilot, I would say Shadow Cat, I've seen people put up better numbers in the thing than I can, and it makes me sad because I used to pilot the Shadow Cat A LOT back in the MW4-HC days. I just can't play it right even though I have no problem using the BJ-1X and BJ-3 and they fulfill a similar role.

I do pretty good in the Vindi, though the Meta and power creep over the last 6 months has limited it quite a bit more. Posted Image
Still love my 1AA and SIB though. Yeah...Shadowcat is probably the sweetest piloting mech I have ever used in MWO, absolutely LOVE to drive it.

But the moment the fighting starts, I soon realize it ain't my Centurion or HBK.

Actually HBK-IICs are kind in this boat..but I average twice the damage in my IICs that I do in my WHM. It's literally my lowest damage non Light Mech.

#7 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:42 AM

No I am just bad in every mech and build, period

Keeps things simple

#8 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

I love both the Orion and Warhammer, and am equally terrible in both. You have a few years on my Bish, I didn't get into BT TT until '91.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, the Banshee is my favorite TT mech and also happens to be my best ride in MWO in it's various incarnations Posted Image

Edited by Precentor Martial Jarcaddy, 21 January 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#9 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

The Banshee.I bought the hero and have the 3m but i totally fail in it.I dont like running the big assaults,seem to do better in the Misery and the Zeus.
Another mech I am crud in is the Bounty Hunter.I dunno wtf I've done to it but it clearly hates me.The other Marauders I did well in.
Warhammers are ok,not as tanky as the Marauder and having the ppc's in the arms (i know it's canon)gimp it bad.It just feels like a generic mech to me,nothing stands out about it it's just a bit bland.

Edited by Charronn, 21 January 2016 - 11:49 AM.

#10 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

My own tales of woe, though, definitely the Shadowcat.

I love that mech, I love piloting that mech, but I'm atrociously bad at it. I just can't ever accomplish anything useful, but it's so awesome. It's a pretty even mix, though, of pilot and mech for me - It's really not a strong mech at all, and I'm bad at fast mechs. Too much aggression, not enough caution.

#11 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

Vindicators

I just can't do that well in them and I want to like them because they look do cool. That is why I rant on them so much. I want to like them, but the frustrate me so much!

Runner up: Catapults. The C1 is dusty and sitting unloved. The K2 also gets very little match time as well. The Jester was the one silver lining, but with hitbox changes, I am now struggling.

Still, I have hope for the Jester/K2. The Vindicators feel like a lost cause :(

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 21 January 2016 - 12:03 PM.

#12 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

Panther. I loved my TT Panther, but in MWO... I swear I'm dead before it's feet hit the ground. :( My TT command mech that I always ran was a modified 2W Archer. Dual lrm 15s, dual srm inferno, ppc in the torso and some small pulse lasers in arms for infantry. I hope the Archer looks like the concept art and runs well...

My other favorites, the MAD and WHM... do pretty good. The Marauder posts good damage, but can't seem to seal the deal and get low kills. Warhammer has been opposite.. posting low damage but getting kills. It might be because I haven't even basic'd it yet though.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 21 January 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

What build are you running?

my TT loadout.
Mjolnir
Remember the one thing I refuse to do is lose the PPCs from the arms. The only alternative is maybe an LPL.
(or on the 6D maybe dual LL in the arms)
Have considered maybe doing this
WHM-6R making the torso weapons solely for infighting.
my other current builds:
WHM-7S
BLACK WIDOW

haven't really settled on a build for the 6D yet.
WHM-6D
Is my current... but man do I wish it had missiles and ballistics in the torsos to compliment the dual energy arms.

#14 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

Mine doesn't go back as far as an old TT fav but just from early in MWO's life I used to love piloting my Flame more than any other mech. I was pretty darn good with it too and never ran it with any build other than 4mlas and a Gauss with an XL350 engine. I had so many fun skirmishing/brawling matches in it and here are my archived stats:
FLAME 73 39 34 1.15 109 34 3.21 27,074 90,272 07:25:53

At some point something just changed, maybe a shift in meta or maybe it was me but now my stats with it are:
FLAME 10 3 7
0.43 5 9 0.56 2,740 11,705 00:57:55
It just doesn't seem to have that same spark it used to and I have no other way to describe it. Used to have 3.21 KDR and now I have .56.

Makes me a Sad Panda.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostPrecentor Martial Jarcaddy, on 21 January 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

I love both the Orion and Warhammer, and am equally terrible in both. You have a few years on my Bish, I didn't get into BT TT until '91.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, the Banshee is my favorite TT mech and also happens to be my best ride in MWO in it's various incarnations Posted Image

well, on the up side, my favorite Medium in Btech was always the Centurion. And I rock it in those, so it's not all lost. Just a shame I suck in my all time fave Mech, and that my second fave (the Summoner) is a bit of a t.urd.....

#16 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

Atlas (until recently...still suck, but it can handle my suck-a-tude a bit more now.

See also my take on this subject. Mechs you love but just aren't effective in.

http://mwomercs.com/...32#entry4939832

#17 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

It's any clan mech for me, but it's the MDD Prime that I feel the worst about.
I love that mech but just can't seem to do well in it. I know I'm not a great player but I put part of the blame on pgi for the bad heat system and lack of Endo on the MDD Posted Image

Oh yeah...PPC's.
I'd like my K2 to be as good as it was in CB but ER/PPC's are just terrible now compared to lower heat weapons.

Edited by Wolfways, 21 January 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#18 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

I love playing my HBK-4SP but i have abysmal stats in it. I just don't understand, it has a loadout and playstyle similar to other meds i own and he is the only one that can't make it. I don't care when a mech has low kdr as long as it has a win ratio above 1, the SP has neither. That's another part that's weird, when one of my mech do really badly in kdr he usually has a good win ratio, not the 4sp, he gets nothing. Among all my meds brawler he's also the only one that is always stuck somewhere or can't go up somewhere.

My Saint Yves Blue could get an honourable mention but there is no love just an obsession to make it work and i can't. The other VND do ok though.

Edited by DAYLEET, 21 January 2016 - 12:14 PM.

#19 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

my urbie mech..... in tt i had a dfa/ ac/20 barrel of death against my family in mwo i just get face rolled with only 40 dmg done even when i get the drop on some mechs.

TT builds dont work in mwo due to pin point dmg and some other things pgi decided to do.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostGriffinhawk, on 21 January 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

Panther. I loved my TT Panther, but in MWO... I swear I'm dead before it's feet hit the ground. Posted Image My TT command mech that I always ran was a modified 2W Archer. Dual lrm 15s, dual srm inferno, ppc in the torso and some small pulse lasers in arms for infantry. I hope the Archer looks like the concept art and runs well...

My other favorites, the MAD and WHM... do pretty good. The Marauder posts good damage, but can't seem to seal the deal and get low kills. Warhammer has been opposite.. posting low damage but getting kills. It might be because I haven't even basic'd it yet though.

Yeah, you and me both on the archer. Always loved those (the ARC-2S was a staple of all my 3025 merc units) and the Tempest hero looks real promising.

so far for the "Classic Unseen"
-Marauder: Looks like the Goodyear blimp had a baby with a King Crab... but I play them OK. Like the 3R...until I see it.
-Warhammer: Everything I hoped for... I just suck in it, lol.

the Rifleman I do wonder how it will sit, but I think it will be more XL friendly than the Jager, so hoping for good things (and I do pretty decent in Jagers), and the Archer is really counter tomy style... but so gorgeous (at least the concept) I really don't care, lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users