Mad Dog Worse Mech In Game

27 replies to this topic

#1 Cryos420

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:19 PM

So the Mad Dog went on sale this week and decided to spend all my hard earned c-bills on 3 of them. This has to be the worse decision I've made since marrying my ex-wife! Omg, does PGI have a personal vendetta against the Mad Dog??? I mean seriously did you catch it sleeping with your girlfriend or did you not test it before putting it out? The armor is made of tissue paper and I regularly die within a seconds of coming into contact of any enemy, wither its a light, medium, heavy or assault. Torso twisting does absolutely no good due to the poor hitboxes and geometry of the mech and all fire seems to hit the CT. This mech is in dire need of being reworked!!!! As it stands now all I can do is be a missile boat and hide and pray that nothing finds me. Any direct fire weapons are useless as this mech couldn't stand toe to toe with a squirrel armed with a butter knife.

#2 Azzgaroth

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

Ice Ferret is by far the worst mech ever in MWO. Screen isn't large enough to put enough quirk to make it work.

#3 Cryos420

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

Have you tired it? I just go out of match and no joke I died within 4 secs of contact.... I'm not joking it was that quick!

#4 Cryos420

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

And another match shot once in side torso and its gone..... 3 shots later in CT and I'm dead. This was vs a Hunchback btw....

#5 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

OP you need to rethink your strategy if you are dying so quick in the Mad Dog. Personally i have had so many 800+ damage games in this mech i lost count. It ranks up there as one of my top 10 favorite mechs. I use 6x SRM6 & you dont walk in the open with this mech, you peek from corners and then get behind cover. Or if you have maneuvered yourself well enough using its 82kph top speed you insta kill most mechs with one rear shot.

Though 6x LRM5 works well enough too.

#6 Cryos420

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

I have that build and I've tried that strategy, but it seems like people know how weak the Mad Dog is and they single it out to take out first, More than once I've watch mechs maneuver through and around other mechs just to get to me and kill me within a couple of shots then move on to the next target. I have 30ish mechs and have owned 50ish and never piloted a mech this fragile.

#7 SilentFenris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

View PostCryos420, on 21 January 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

So the Mad Dog went on sale this week and decided to spend all my hard earned c-bills on 3 of them. This has to be the worse decision I've made since marrying my ex-wife! Omg, does PGI have a personal vendetta against the Mad Dog??? I mean seriously did you catch it sleeping with your girlfriend or did you not test it before putting it out? The armor is made of tissue paper and I regularly die within a seconds of coming into contact of any enemy, wither its a light, medium, heavy or assault. Torso twisting does absolutely no good due to the poor hitboxes and geometry of the mech and all fire seems to hit the CT. This mech is in dire need of being reworked!!!! As it stands now all I can do is be a missile boat and hide and pray that nothing finds me. Any direct fire weapons are useless as this mech couldn't stand toe to toe with a squirrel armed with a butter knife.

I am hoping that you want some insight to this mech rather than just ranting. Try two ultra AC10s, ignore missiles and energy weapons. This should leave you running cool with decent ammo and a reasonable amount of armor. Stick near your teamates and fire till you jam. Retreat behind cover or teammates until your cannons unjam. Repeat.

If you are trying to be Rambo and kill everything in your path sell the maddog and buy a timberwolf, ebonjag or warhawk instead.

#8 Cryos420

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

No not really trying to rant, just really hoping PGI shows this mech some love. I understand its suppose to be a support mech, but its just way to fragile and I feel its suffers alot of the same problems as the Dragon did before they buffed it. The extra large CT ends up taking all the damage and the side torso's arent any better.

Ill try that build but I don't see how it will hold up as this mech cant absorb any damage.

Fyi, got the Timberwolf and I love them!

Edited by Cryos420, 21 January 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#9 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:00 PM

MDD is very fragile mech, but it is by far the best heavy clan support (LRM) mech in the game, thanks to its high mounted cockpit and well placed rocket tubes. Dont play it if you dont like LRM boat support role, or unless you are willing to be patient a stick back for a while with Streaks before your time comes.

MDD can be king of the hill tho. Literally, elevated location is your best friend.

Edited by MechB Kotare, 21 January 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#10 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

OP I use this mech as a 2 ML 6 SRM6 splat Dog in CW on a daily basis, it does indeed work.

Sometimes less complaining and more getting better I a chassis is required.

#11 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

Have you tried a Vindicator lately?

#12 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

Little tip : Maddogs are awesome as supporters for bigger or tankier mechs -> see SplatDog ;)

As in : A Timbie or Thunderbolt enages someone and you happen to support that teammate ... many a curse has been sent towards the MDD support ;)

#13 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

+1 to Ace Selin.

I have had a huge number of 800+ damage matches in MDD's too.

My personal favorite build is 4 lurm 5's, 2 streak 4s and 3 med lazors. Bit of a jack of all ranges, fire the lurms in alpha and the vast majority hit CT, only use the streaks in close for pesky lights or bigger mechs later in the match and lazors to supplement either lurms or streaks.

Even manged a 1200 damage game in it.

Also works well with 2 alurm 15s and 4 ermeds. KD of 2.20 in that mech, should take it out more often.

Best bet is to sit between 250 - 400 meters and use the lurms, when u run out which should be close to the end of the match you run in and finish the lazors.

#14 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

My lurm setup is 4 x lrm 10's , 2 x lrm 5's and a tag with 1260 missles. Splat setup being 2x mlazors and 6 x SRM 6 w Artemis.

This mech is alot of fun.

#15 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

You are quite mistaken, I currently have a 1.93 k/d ratio with my Mad Dog Prime. I would suggest that you stay away from "boat builds" and use a balance of lasers and LRMs. Also, learning to torso twist effectively to spread damage is a necessity with almost any Mech, but especially with the Mad Dog since it plays like a Dragon with missles.

#16 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:43 PM

View PostAzzgaroth, on 21 January 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

Ice Ferret is by far the worst mech ever in MWO. Screen isn't large enough to put enough quirk to make it work.

The Ice Ferret should have quirks that are similar to the Blackjack (minus the ballistics). Russ says the next quirk pass will focus on Clan Mechs, so maybe the Ice Ferret will get some love. In lore though, the Ice Ferret was pretty much replaced with the Shadowcat in the toumans of most of the Clans.

#17 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

St Ive's Blues challenges you to a Trial of Refuse (sic) to defend its claim as worst mech.

In a Trial of Refuse, it's the loser who claims the title of "Worse Than You."

No SIB build can stand against the the Mad Dog's glass-cannon builds. It also couldn't break through the glass to stop the cannon.

Ferret couldn't out-Refuse SIB either, though it does need help.

Edited by Virlutris, 21 January 2016 - 04:52 PM.

#18 Tyrant Fang

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

I have a feeling that all clan mechs are too weak against the OP prerked IS mechs, most of them have a huge list of green +'s, now according to lore the clans shoud have better mechs then IS mechs since the tech was much better in the clans, now I hear that IS is complaining that they are loosing there long list of buffs that PGI is making the procs of IS mechs vanish, I say it's about damn time! STOP DEBUFFING CLAN MECHS AND START DEBUFFING IS, I have IS mechs myself and they just dominate the battle field over the clan counter parts, the Timber wolf and the Mad dog was two of the most feared mechs in history, now they are push overs

#19 Celtic Warrior IS

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 70 posts
  • LocationOperation Bulldog - Tranquil - HI

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:57 PM

While I agree with many that the MD can dish out some good scores and I've used it well in the past it does have a glass jaw. When I turn the corner and see a TW I think okay this could hurt but when I turn the corner and see a MD I think, 2 shots to the CT and it's over.

#20 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

View PostCeltic Warrior IS, on 07 February 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

While I agree with many that the MD can dish out some good scores and I've used it well in the past it does have a glass jaw. When I turn the corner and see a TW I think okay this could hurt but when I turn the corner and see a MD I think, 2 shots to the CT and it's over.

Well, at least in Quick Match at the lower tiers, I can take out Timber Wolves in my Mad Dog more often than not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users