A Good Mech For A Noob?

97 replies to this topic

#1 Pandawaffle

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

I'm new to MWO and have only tried the trial mechs thusfar. I was recommended to buy a hunchback for learning to play the game in a Twitch chatroom, but I would like a second opinion before I make the purchase. I've also looked up threads similar to my request in this one, but many of them are from 2013, and I would like something more up-to-date.
I've enjoyed the blackjack thusfar, but I have been hurt badly in games by the coordinated missile spam that clan-stacking groups commonly do, so a kit-out with ECM would be nice.

#2 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

I would actually take a centurion instead. It is similiar to the hunchy and it will teach you how to torso twist effectively. Also once you get used to taking as many hits as possible on your shield arm the hunchy will be a lot easier to use effectively.

#3 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:57 AM

Whatever you decide to pick up, you should probably make your second purchase an engine that you'll swap between three variants of it (rather than a second variant) it'll take a long time before you can afford one otherwise.

#4 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

Get shadowhawks. Also, check out the new player section, there are always a bunch of threads there about which mechs to purchase for beginners.

#5 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostPandawaffle, on 06 September 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

I'm new to MWO and have only tried the trial mechs thusfar. I was recommended to buy a hunchback for learning to play the game in a Twitch chatroom, but I would like a second opinion before I make the purchase. I've also looked up threads similar to my request in this one, but many of them are from 2013, and I would like something more up-to-date.
I've enjoyed the blackjack thusfar, but I have been hurt badly in games by the coordinated missile spam that clan-stacking groups commonly do, so a kit-out with ECM would be nice.

Whatever you do, don't spend real money. I'd personally go ECM Atlas at this point. Great way to learn the game.

#6 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostPandawaffle, on 06 September 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

I recently discovered (I have 67 mechs) the Kintaro chassis. Extremely versatile - you can make a fast LRM / Streak / SRM or a slower assault-style mech. They are durable (have great hit boxes).

I also really like other mediums. My favorite mech, bar none, is the Cicada, followed by the Griffin and then the Blackjack.

Easy mech would be the Jager. High weapons mounts and pretty good durability.

I would stay away from Assaults unless you have a high tolerance for the painful learning curve it takes to master a barely mobile rock.

#7 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hunchies and Cents are good, but I'm not sure if I can recommend them to new players. Cents will get you in the good habit of shoot and torso twist (to protect your mid-section and gun-arm), but even that doesn't prepare you for how hard it is to protect the Hunchback's hunch, IMO.

The Shadowhawks are, ton-for-ton, possibly the best mechs in the game. You can rig one to do almost anything you'd like. The model 2D2 is probably the best. The stock 275 standard engine is usable if you're on a tight c-bill budget, but I recommend the 300 XL if you can afford it. With 4 missile, 2 energy, and a ballistic for hard points you can rig it as long range, short range, direct fire, indirect fire, whatever. And jump jets make for nice mobility in hilly terrain, something you don't find on Hunches and Cents.

#8 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 06 September 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Get shadowhawks. Also, check out the new player section, there are always a bunch of threads there about which mechs to purchase for beginners.

Follow this man's suggestion. They are easier to get to learn the ropes of the game with and then move on from there once you are more comfortable.

#9 waterfowl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

Depends if you want user friendly, or a mech that'll teach you the ropes.

For the former, definitely a Griffin, or a Shadowhawk. For the latter, you can't go wrong with a Hunchback, it'll teach you how to position and torso twist

#10 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostNgamok, on 06 September 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

Follow this man's suggestion. They are easier to get to learn the ropes of the game with and then move on from there once you are more comfortable.

For that matter, Shadowhawks are good regardless of skill level. Every now and again you find a player that just doesn't click with them, but overall they're still top notch mechs.

#11 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

For the love of god, do NOT use the hunchback as first mech. You will suffer while trying to learn the game with this mech.
The SDH will give you the best bang for the buck. Solid mech even after the clan introduction.

#12 waterfowl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostAstrocanis, on 06 September 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

I would stay away from Assaults unless you have a high tolerance for the painful learning curve it takes to master a barely mobile rock.

yeah don't do what I did and buy a freaking stalker as your first mech lol ... and that was back when there was only 4 crappy trial mechs. Took probably at least 100-200 matches to not suck with it. Can't say I regret it though, learned some valuable lessons

Edited by waterfowl, 06 September 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#13 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would have gone with a Cataphract when I first started. It's an all-around great mech with many different build options.

#14 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

I reiterate, buy a DDC, equip ECM...profit.

I'd probably also throw an AMS on it. And then just play patient.

You will stay alive a TON longer than you will in any kind of Medium Mech with the way PGI balances this ****** game.

#15 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 06 September 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

Whatever you do, don't spend real money. I'd personally go ECM Atlas at this point. Great way to learn the game.

That's a really bad choice for a first mech. Third or fourth, sure but even though the D-DC is one of the more forgiving assaults it's still much harder to learn than a heavy or medium.
I'd suggest starting with a medium with ballistic hardpoints like a Hunchback, Centurion or Shadowhawk. They're cheaper too so you can buy at least two variants with your cadet bonus, more if you have a cheap loadout.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 06 September 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#16 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 06 September 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

That's a really bad choice for a first mech. Third or fourth, sure but even though the D-DC is one of the more forgiving assaults it's still much harder to learn than a heavy or medium.
I'd suggest starting with a medium with ballistic hardpoints like a Hunchback, Centurion or Shadowhawk. They're cheaper too so you can buy at least two variants with your cadet bonus, more if you have a cheap loadout.

If the game is as LRM heavy as all the whiners here say, ECM is the only way to go for new players.

Trust me, ECM and AMS kid, this game is all LRMs now.

#17 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

View PostEscef, on 06 September 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

For that matter, Shadowhawks are good regardless of skill level. Every now and again you find a player that just doesn't click with them, but overall they're still top notch mechs.

AND they give players the opportunity to run a HUGE range of load-outs. Ballistics? SRMs? Lasers? Missile Boat? PPC Sniper? SHD can do ANY of these.

#18 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

View PostLauLiao, on 06 September 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

AND they give players the opportunity to run a HUGE range of load-outs. Ballistics? SRMs? Lasers? Missile Boat? PPC Sniper? SHD can do ANY of these.

No ECM means it will die to all the LRMs that are blotting out the sky. I'd skip Medium mechs, go for the big boy.

#19 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 06 September 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

If the game is as LRM heavy as all the whiners here say, ECM is the only way to go for new players.

Trust me, ECM and AMS kid, this game is all LRMs now.

Skimming the most recent thread about it people are now whining about LRM + spotter teams. :rolleyes:
ECM won't help him defend against that, AMS and cover will, and guess which mechs are much better at taking cover than a slow assault?

#20 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 06 September 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

Skimming the most recent thread about it people are now whining about LRM + spotter teams. :rolleyes:
ECM won't help him defend against that, AMS and cover will, and guess which mechs are much better at taking cover than a slow assault?

More ECM counteracts spotters. Can't spot through 4 or 5 ECM, all new players need to buy DDC's. GO GO GO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users