35 replies to this topic

#1 Tarzilman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationRim Territories

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

Hey folks, friends and fellow mechwarriors!

After years of barn door madness and a few months of "well, it's not that bad anymore, kind of 'ok', but still not really good" I think it's time to make things change.

This is not meant to be a rant or a thread for complaints. Really!
Imho things went pretty good the last months and step by step PGI is going up the stairs of success, not down.
With the new upcoming and already released classic mechs most ppl thought we'd never see in MWO we have many toys now to play with.
That said there are like you all know, some "older" toys that still feel unfinished/unbalanced whatever you may call it, but somehow "not really good".

And even there PGI already is working on it. So again, not a classic thread of anger and complaints, but with a clear message regarding at least one mech.

They (PGI) are currently working on some mechs that are simply put too big or too small. So they're rescaling them, which is a relly good tbing per se!
But there's one thing I wish to highlight and of course I'm talking about the Awesome.

Some sidenotes first:
  • There has been some polls Tina started, asking the community which mechs should be rescaled first (btw it's a pitty this poll didn't ever went in the next round. Afaik it never finished, but nevermind.)
  • This poll clearly shows that the Nova, Awesome and Catapult (in this particular order!) are the most wanted mechs to be rescaled.
  • Russ stated on Twitter PGI is working on the Catapult, Kit Fox, Dragon, Quickdraw and of course Nova (Awesome is on the list and has high priority, I know, please go ahead and read further)
  • Dragon even has not been in this poll. (But sure it's great he will also be rescaled!!)
  • Russ also stated the catapult will not only be rescaled, but completely remodeled and get 2k textures like all newer mechs, which is great, really! Still no complaints!)
  • He also mentioned that the awesome won't get so much love. Not much to rescale, just thin out the CT a bit.

I ask you, the mechwarrios exspecially the fans of the Awesome out there:
Do you think this is right?
Before you may say it, let me make this clear: As a devoted Awesome pilot myself I know, this mech can be pretty good once you got used to ist. But it needs that special focussing other mechs don't need. Of course that makes it kind of special. You have to be a skilled pilot to be a good Awesome pilot.
But the thing is, he never had its time.
Even the Quickdraw is kind of meta now. Why can't we finally get an awesome Awesome we wish to have for years?
When there's not so much to rescale, why not put in the same love PGI does/did with the Catapult?
The Awesome doesn't have a top 4 priority. The Awesome at least has a top 2 priority. And if the nova wouldn't have been a pretty new clanmech, the Awesome probably would have been on top of the poll!
Old mechs that feel too fragile ALL need this love! Please help me and support this initiative. The catapult was a good and of course urgently needed start, but for us fans of this other great mech named "Awesome" the time of waiting should finally be over. Let PGI, exspecially Russ know (Townhall meeting is a good place) that we finally want a better, a more viable, maybe even a new and last but not least more often seen Awesome at the battlefield!

I wrote down a question for Russ in this thread for EU players that don't stay up that long to listen to the Townhall Meeting, but may have some questions.
Please help me to pass it on to Russ!
And more than that, please ask your own questions about the Awesome!
I know you all have your favorite mechs that feel weak and should be better. We all know that feel!
But the Awesome is an old mech and a long time in this game now and he never had its time of prosperity (yeah, except the LRM 80 troll build)!!
Imho he deserves it more than any other mech!
Let's move together as a community and help this mech out of this valley of frustration!
Save the Awesome, one and for all!

(sorry for parts of bad english)

Edited by Tarzilman, 29 January 2016 - 12:59 AM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:06 AM

Unawesomes have needed liposuction for years now...

#3 SilentWolff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

Without me, the mech is just Aweso.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostSilentWolff, on 28 January 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

Without me, the mech is just Aweso.

Posted Image

#5 Speggn

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:15 AM

For me, one of the mechs in dire need of rescaling is the Griffin... (especially compared to the crab) its almost as huge as an Executioner.... But yeah, the Awe needs a bit of rescaling/hit box adjusting too.

Edited by Speggn, 28 January 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#6 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:18 AM

As much as I love my short range brawler Awesomes, and my Lurming Awesomes, I kinda feel that to make it right there should be no ghost heat for a 3 PPC or 3 ERPPC Awesome. (keep GH for 4 ppcs).

Awesomes are feel like they are supposed to be long range fire support, so I think this will give it it's unique feel and rol.

(but I really DO love my brawling and lurming awesomes too, but PPCs are a start)

#7 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:25 AM

The AWS needs the same torso treatment the WHM got.

#8 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

It need bigger PPC's (like the Banshee) and a slimmer torso.

#9 Tarzilman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 28 January 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

The AWS needs the same torso treatment the WHM got.

Hm, I heard rumors that some ppl don't like the warhammers torso. I don't have it, but you think it's good?

#10 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

Sorry, the Catapult needs to be rescaled? I'm not so sure about that.

They better not give a Dracula hair do like the king crab and the marauder
https://keithandthem...08/dracula1.jpg

#11 Tarzilman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

View PostRender, on 28 January 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

Sorry, the Catapult needs to be rescaled? I'm not so sure about that.

They better not give a Dracula hair do like the king crab and the marauder
https://keithandthem...08/dracula1.jpg

*lol*

Erm... not only rescaled, but completely remodeled!

#12 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

Posted Image

#13 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

One thing to consider in the remodeling/rescale is hard points. Especially ever since PGI has been using the Lego builds. I think the reason why the Awesome is trailing behind is because they need to figure out how to get the Lego build for 4 LRM 20s into those shoulders, and still shrink them while keeping it at 20 tubes each. Remember, the QuickDraw only has 10 tubes in the shoulders, and 4 in the CT. Making it easier to rescale.

Now, the Dragon has very few hard points, and most reside in the arms. The only problem with that rescale might be the CT missile hardpoints that have 10 tubes (and the 1N with 10 & 5 - but not and issue considering what you can put in that fits in 2 slots). It might have been a good candidate for testing doing rescale even before the vote happened. Plus, Russ has mentioned that it is one of his favorite mechs.

#14 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

View PostTarzilman, on 28 January 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

Hm, I heard rumors that some ppl don't like the warhammers torso. I don't have it, but you think it's good?

Of course some people don't like it, but the model turned out pretty good. The V shaped torso with a narrow waist gives it a lot better profile than the AWS. I don't own the WHM so I can't speak to the hitboxes except in shooting at them, but the model itself seems fine. The hitboxes may need to be adjusted, I don't know, but at least it is not shaped like a slab of bacon.

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:21 AM

Awesomes and Catapults are two mechs that have needed this for years. Their hitboxes and sizes are ridiculously large compared to the new mechs that have been released in the past year.

The Awesome is supposed to be one of the premiere mechs out there, especially when it comes to PPC and energy platforms.

The Catapult is supposed to be the same thing only a missile platform.

These 2 mechs are extremely underutilized because of the scaling and hitbox issues. They need to be redone, all mechs do really, but these two in particular. Their weight puts them into unique positions, especially when trying to configure a CW drop deck.

#16 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 28 January 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

Of course some people don't like it, but the model turned out pretty good. The V shaped torso with a narrow waist gives it a lot better profile than the AWS. I don't own the WHM so I can't speak to the hitboxes except in shooting at them, but the model itself seems fine. The hitboxes may need to be adjusted, I don't know, but at least it is not shaped like a slab of bacon.

Whammies have really good hitboxes and spread ability as well. They're still "big" (in comparison to the newer mech models over the past year or so), but the split on the hitbox locations are nice.

First thing I did was have a teammate with a small laser go to town and locate the hitboxes and their locations and where to spread the damage. They're a lot tankier than they appear. Same with Marauders and Crabs. PGI has done a good job with the new mech releases in this regard in my opinion.

#17 Tarzilman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

I'm glad to see that some ppl share my thoughts. Allthough I didn't expect something else. :-)

Perhaps one or two (Or even more! the more the better!) of you guys is willing to adress this topic in the upcoming Townhall Meeting. Let's try to reach more than what is promised.

(I still hope PGI postponed the rescaling of the Awesome because they know that they can't avoid the amount of work the Awesome obviously needs.)

#18 Tarzilman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

Here on Twitter Russ sais something about the Awsome. Don't be shy and post your opinion. Let's work together to make this happen.

At least they should move the energy hardpoints up. Imo LRMs and SRMs work fine. The whole model a bit thinner and taller. Perhaps it's enough. Write down your ideas!

#19 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Just give the Awesome amazing +range quirks and decent heat quirks, so it can perform it's role.

But it shouldn't have any armour or engine quirks.

#20 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 28 January 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

Just give the Awesome amazing +range quirks and decent heat quirks, so it can perform it's role.

But it shouldn't have any armour or engine quirks.

Could for the heck of it give it some extra rear-armor bonus cause the awesome is supposedly also somewhat famous for it's extra thick rear armor.
To quote Sarna: "With fifteens tons of armor plating the Awesome is one of the most heavily-armored assault 'Mechs, making it better protected than even the BattleMaster, including some of the thickest rear armor of any 'Mech."

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users